Sign in to follow this  
Nyte

**The Official Guitar Thread**

This is The Official Guitar Thread and anything guitar-related which consists of, but not limited to, guitars, acoustic guitars, amps, guitarists, bass,bands, and anything else you can think of that pertains to these.

To all the forum members who are musically inclined, mainly the guitarist I'm referring to, this thread is for YOU!

You play the guitar or previously played the guitar? Perfect, this thread is for you!

You don't play the guitar, but you like the guitar? Maybe even wanna learn someday? This thread is also for you!

Don't like rock, metal, blues, or even know what a guitar is? This thread is especially for you! Please come in and educate yourself and in the future YOU can purchase a guitar!

Need recommendations on equipment? Guitarists? Bands? We have highly talented forum members who are well-versed in this area such as Chons, TigerChamp, SteelerNation, NyteRyder, CorporalClegg, Bezerker101, LennyTheBat, Sir_Wesley_of_Wells, Bubba_Sparks. (Anybody I missed feel free to post in this thread and you can find yourself on the OP)

Feel free to post pics of your equipment, vids of anything guitar related. Discuss your favorite guitarists.

I like the guitar. You should like it too. I love lamp. -Jimmy Page

Edited by NyteRyder
  • Like 4

I'll post pics of my equipment sometime this week! But for now I'm gonna pull some pics from another thread to start this off

This is from Chons

10498694_324553957720093_885475531169698

Edited by NyteRyder
  • Like 4

Bezerker (not sure if it's his or he wants it, either way it's guitar related!)

post-438411-0-56350800-1435031365.jpg

Edited by NyteRyder
  • Like 4

Here is my small family of guitar and guitar-esque things.  My Martin's is definitely on my list of 3 things I would try and rescue if my house was on fire.

10408838_10207221793088987_8480634557907

• Like 5

Bezerker (not sure if it's his or he wants it, either way it's guitar related!)

post-438411-0-56350800-1435031365.jpg

Yep, I own this but unfortunately it's a one-piece & even though I hang my guitars, .. this one twisted,

... probably because of the hot dry climate condition where I was living . If your guitar will not stay

tuned for more than 15 minutes (unless your thrashing) > the neck is misaligned . This can be a fatal

condition with a one-piece :-(

• Like 1

sheeit. 

please dont make me drop serious money on a legit guitar that i have barely enough time to **** around on.

Look at it this way, .. it's 50% easier to learn on a real guitar so you would be saving time .

• Like 3

Yep, I own this but unfortunately it's a one-piece & even though I hang my guitars, .. this one twisted,

... probably because of the hot dry climate condition where I was living . If your guitar will not stay

tuned for more than 15 minutes (unless your thrashing) > the neck is misaligned . This can be a fatal

condition with a one-piece :-(

Sucks dude sorry to hear that.

Few years back I was looking at getting a Spector that was one piece, but a good friend I was playing with at the time whos opinion I respected advised against it for that very reason, and because I live very close to the water it was probably for the best. Still love the look and feel of a lot of one piece guitars though.

• Like 1

My first guitar was a cheap Washburn my parents bought me from Walmart (probably for $50 or less). Nowadays if I try to tune it, it will literally go out of tune within a minute.

I mean I don't get frustrated cause I have a few other guitars to play on, but at the same time when I wanna go back to the guitar I started on, I can't get anything going on it cause all the strings decide to untune themselves :(. lol.

It's a really bad guitar. I will find it and post it on here anyways

Edited by NyteRyder
  • Like 2

Although, before I bought my Epiphone SG Special, I played on that washburn for around 6-7 months and it operated perfectly fine. Funny thing was, my ear wasn't used to different pickups, so when I plugged it into an amp, I didn't realize how bad the pickups were. I was just happy to get some distortion on a cool Fender 10W and play some Metallica or Zeppelin tunes.

Now when I came back to it, after playing on more guitars with better quality pickups, I plug it in and am like oh gawd I can't believe I thought these were decent. But I look at the bigger picture, I started from the bottom and focused more on just getting my fingers better, improving with technique. Didn't care too much for the quality of the sound as long as I was playing the notes cleanly.

Edited by NyteRyder
  • Like 2

These pickups seem to really be catching on with people. My BFF is getting them put into all of his guitars. He has EMGs in most of them currently, and his guitars sound much better as he's been swapping them out. I'm not a big fan of EMGs though, and I'll be swapping mine out when I get the money to do so.

http://www.railhammer.com/ 

hompage_pickup_rotate.gif

• Like 2

One of my favorites, Buzz Osborne .. front man/ guitarist for the 3-piece underground cult band  "The Melvins" started playing at age 18 and is an unconventional self-taught freak . His otherwise claim to fame is introducing Dave Grohl to Kurt Cobain .  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvins

3520_artist.jpg?4729

Excellent Ernie Ball set me up session >

Edited by Bezerker101
  • Like 1

I play Guitar, I could detail guitarists most would know but little point; here is one most won't know BORISLAV MITIC (Virtuoso player from Serbia, yeh how many Serbian musicians do you know?) : 

1) CELTIC LEGENDS : 

^ Listen to it all - goes uptempo! 

2) GUITAR SOLO LIVE : 

Edited by EvolveWay7

You guys would probably laugh at the most guitarists I consider my inspiration. :P

Funny thing, I can't think of a guitarist that i don't like .. I might not like their music but

I respect their skill & dedication .

• Like 2

Funny thing, I can't think of a guitarist that i don't like .. I might not like their music but

I respect their skill & dedication .

A lot of times, the ego thing really throws me off. I'm also very picky compared to a lot of people I know that are deeply into music. I like lots of different styles, but very few bands and players. I'm actually getting better as I get older though, I'm just now getting into a bunch of stuff (mostly heavy metal), that I skipped over when I was younger because I thought the stuff was "gay",. 

• Like 1

Been playing guitar for about 30 years or so. I play down tuning the majority of the time. Just downsized my gear and down to only 3 electrics and one amp.

5c56c30b4b15c43448080843ed3238ff.jpg

• Like 8

My first year and a half of playing, I didn't have a "favorite" guitarist or even favorite band. Mainly just listened to classic rock, hard rock, metal, bands like Metallica, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, etc.

I eventually listened more and more to Led Zeppelin and slowly Jimmy Page became my #1 guitarist and Zeppelin my favorite band and it's still like that and will continue to be.

But before Jimmy Page became my inspiration, I watched a lot of Youtube videos of Zakk Wylde. He has a good amount of tutorials. For being the heavy metal player that he is, he is a HUGE blues guy and all I mainly learned from him was how you can take the pentatonic scale and run with it. Basically Jimmy Page in a nutshell too :lol:

Zakk has some cool "Lick of the Week" vids from a few years back. Just some cool little tutorials to check out. I checked out a vid from him, probably from the 80's or early 90's, and he's teaching the pentatonic scale, unison bends, chicken picking, etc. Solid 50 minute vid!

Edited by NyteRyder
  • Like 2

Ight guys, so here's my stuff. Bought this in 2012 and this was the first equipment I ever purchased.

Roland 20W Cube and an Epiphone SG-Special

11701062_932971763430522_513547415633653

• Like 3

I'm one of those never satisfied people when it comes to amps and heads. I've been through Fenders, Boogies, Vox, Digitech, Laney, Crate, no brand... nothing ever made me happy. Weird enough though, I've never really sat down with a Marshall.

I've gone through lots of guitars and basses. The basses were all junk, but I've had some nice guitars, the standouts were a BC Rich Bich prototype, and the Fender Strat that I owned for almost 20 years. I prefer used, well maintained guitars that have been broken in. 

I'm going down to the States to record my first album in August, this will be on bass. The closer August gets, the more nervous I become. :P

• Like 4

I'm one of those never satisfied people when it comes to amps and heads. I've been through Fenders, Boogies, Vox, Digitech, Laney, Crate, no brand... nothing ever made me happy. Weird enough though, I've never really sat down with a Marshall.

I've gone through lots of guitars and basses. The basses were all junk, but I've had some nice guitars, the standouts were a BC Rich Bich prototype, and the Fender Strat that I owned for almost 20 years. I prefer used, well maintained guitars that have been broken in. 

I'm going down to the States to record my first album in August, this will be on bass. The closer August gets, the more nervous I become. :P

Maybe it's a sign...you were destined for Marshall.

I'm still very early in playing days and still want to get a variety of gear. I want to get that Martin Dreadnought Acoustic I posted on here, a Marshall Tube Amp, a Gibson Les Paul. All I can think of at the moment.

Do you still play on your Fender Strat? If you still have it, can you post a pic on here please? I don't think I'll buy a strat, since I got my Tele already. Figured it was one or the other. When I was at GC last year I was playing with a strat and that Tele, went with the Tele.

• Like 1

My first year and a half of playing, I didn't have a "favorite" guitarist or even favorite band. Mainly just listened to classic rock, hard rock, metal, bands like Metallica, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, etc.

I eventually listened more and more to Led Zeppelin and slowly Jimmy Page became my #1 guitarist and Zeppelin my favorite band and it's still like that and will continue to be.

But before Jimmy Page became my inspiration, I watched a lot of Youtube videos of Zakk Wylde. He has a good amount of tutorials. For being the heavy metal player that he is, he is a HUGE blues guy and all I mainly learned from him was how you can take the pentatonic scale and run with it. Basically Jimmy Page in a nutshell too :lol:

Zakk has some cool "Lick of the Week" vids from a few years back. Just some cool little tutorials to check out. I checked out a vid from him, probably from the 80's or early 90's, and he's teaching the pentatonic scale, unison bends, chicken picking, etc. Solid 50 minute vid!

Going back in the day, if you purchased a Zakk Wylde signature guitar (ob Epi/ Gib), you would also receive a collectors t-shirt, .. same w/ Dimebag (ob Dean) . The only way to own that particular shirt was to buy the guitar or find it on an ebay auction . I still have them shrink-wrapped .

post-438411-0-91749200-1436234596.jpg

post-438411-0-91749200-1436234596_thumb.jpg

epi_zakk_store.jpg

R.I.P.

Dimebaggrave.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe it's a sign...you were destined for Marshall.

I'm still very early in playing days and still want to get a variety of gear. I want to get that Martin Dreadnought Acoustic I posted on here, a Marshall Tube Amp, a Gibson Les Paul. All I can think of at the moment.

Do you still play on your Fender Strat? If you still have it, can you post a pic on here please? I don't think I'll buy a strat, since I got my Tele already. Figured it was one or the other. When I was at GC last year I was playing with a strat and that Tele, went with the Tele.

Perhaps it is a sign, but I think it will boil down to how well the Kemper Profiling amp performs in a live situation. I'm most likely going to pony up for one for recording at least. I've watched a bunch of vids and spoken to a lot of people, but of course I'll reserve judgement until playing one myself. Here is a good vid with the basics, he can hear the difference between the real amp and the clone, but I know that most discrepancies can be cleaned up through further tweaking once the setup is cloned. I hear these things blow live though, but some people insist that's because they are different than what most sound guys are used to. I've been told they sound great by going direct into a PA, no cab. 

Sadly, I don't have my Strat anymore, I had to sell it a few years ago to pay rent. :( It was a 1992 (95% certain), Strat Plus model, with different nut, bridge, tuners, and Lace pickups. I didn't like the bridge, and the version of pickups that I had were lame, other Lace models sounded great though. Still, I really loved that guitar.

The tuning keys and nut were awesome, but needed the added thingy (don't know the name), that puts more tension on the two highest strings that the standard Strats have. The tuners locked the strings in so you didn't really need to wind. Not mine, but here is a pic.

fen93stratplus-sb-rw-174-3.jpg

Mine looked pretty much like this, but I had a black and red tortoise shell pickguard. 

32743d1326482147-1991-fender-strat-plus-

• Like 2

My most recent purchase.

Line 6 Spider Jam 75W 1x12 Combo Amp

11101196_932971893430509_921534516112421

Mate, your next purchase needs to be a decent camera....

This thread is getting nerdy fast.  No one else here who enjoys the purity and simplicity of an acoustic or classical?  Guessing I'm the only dulcimer player here as well.  Hoping to get a banjo for my birthday.

• Like 2

This thread is getting nerdy fast.  No one else here who enjoys the purity and simplicity of an acoustic or classical?  Guessing I'm the only dulcimer player here as well.  Hoping to get a banjo for my birthday.

I absolutely prefer acoustic over electric. 

Id love to eventually work my way towards other stringed instruments like a banjo, mandolin, uke etc. but im still slowly learning on acoustic. Its just a matter of finding the time. 

Not familiar with a dulcimer at all though.

• Like 1

Id love to eventually work my way towards other stringed instruments like a banjo, mandolin, uke etc. but im still slowly learning on acoustic. Its just a matter of finding the time. 

Here is my small family of guitar and guitar-esque things.  My Martin's is definitely on my list of 3 things I would try and rescue if my house was on fire.

10408838_10207221793088987_8480634557907

A-ha, I knew there would be someone out there!  Beauty for me of acoustic is you can take them to barbecues in the woods....

Dulcimer is the baby in the middle.  You play it on your knee and it's all very mellow and happy (the frets are set in a way that it's all major chords).  It was popular in the appalachian mountains in the 19th century because it's a very simple instrument.

I knew this comment was coming soon after I posted the pic, just didn't expect it to come from you :(. For your convenience, and everyone's, I'll just post a pic from the internet. I'm ashamed of my picture taking skills, too.

Acoustic is cool. I'm looking to get a Martin. I bought a cheap acoustic just to have one, but as I progressed on it within the last two years, I'm ready to get a better quality one.

• Like 1

I knew this comment was coming soon after I posted the pic, just didn't expect it to come from you :(. For your convenience, and everyone's, I'll just post a pic from the internet. I'm ashamed of my picture taking skills, too.

Acoustic is cool. I'm looking to get a Martin. I bought a cheap acoustic just to have one, but as I progressed on it within the last two years, I'm ready to get a better quality one.

Lol, sorry dude.  I'm sure the lighting was bad or something.

Martins sound awesome, real depth.  I used to play the 'cello when i was a kid; went to uni and it was not cool to have an instrument that is bigger than you so I part-exed it for my Martins; I've had it ever since and it just sounds sweeter and sweeter.

• Like 2

Lol, sorry dude.  I'm sure the lighting was bad or something.

Martins sound awesome, real depth.  I used to play the 'cello when i was a kid; went to uni and it was not cool to have an instrument that is bigger than you so I part-exed it for my Martins; I've had it ever since and it just sounds sweeter and sweeter.

Lighting was bad. I was just too lazy to move to another spot in the house where I would clearly have more light for a better picture lol. In this case, it wasn't the camera (which was my iPod Touch), but the photographer being lazy.

Yeah man, Martins are awesome. I liked the feel of the Martin better than the Taylor 110e I played this past Friday. Even better is that the Martin is cheaper. Once I get some of my amp payed off, I'm gonna get that Martin for sure. Might even sell my Epiphone back to them since I probably won't play it anymore after I get the Martin.

• Like 1

I have a Jasmine classical guitar and an Ibanez electric guitar.  I once had a Washburn and a Takamine.  Sold the Washburn and the Takamine was taken from me and never returned. 

• Like 1

I have a Jasmine classical guitar and an Ibanez electric guitar.  I once had a Washburn and a Takamine.  Sold the Washburn and the Takamine was taken from me and never returned.

Dude, this is a story that needs telling!  What the heck happened.  I'm now imagining everything from a repo to a jilted ex.

Dude, this is a story that needs telling!  What the heck happened.  I'm now imagining everything from a repo to a jilted ex.

The guitarist in my first band had a never given back situation. He loaned his Charvel guitar and Fender head to another band to play a show, they never gave it back and he never asked for it back. His guitar cost a grand, and the head was $1200, this was early 90's money. I remember asking him about it and he just shrugged his shoulders. I know for a fact that his stuff was hocked for heroin and a hooker with a penis. The guy that went with the hooker with a penis was told that the hooker had a penis. His reply? "A hole is a hole", and he got a stubbly beej. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. 

The guitarist in my first band had a never given back situation. He loaned his Charvel guitar and Fender head to another band to play a show, they never gave it back and he never asked for it back. His guitar cost a grand, and the head was $1200, this was early 90's money. I remember asking him about it and he just shrugged his shoulders. I know for a fact that his stuff was hocked for heroin and a hooker with a penis. The guy that went with the hooker with a penis was told that the hooker had a penis. His reply? "A hole is a hole", and he got a stubbly beej. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. 

Ew

This vid demonstrates clean cabs, and a bunch of different effects. I might be playing with one this weekend. 

• Like 1

Went to my buddies sports bar Wedensday night to see my friends band play, they play Wed & Sat

and it's ritual w/ me to be there on those nights . He's a total freak, one of the best guitarists I've seen

in southeast Asia . It's a hard rock request band & virtually impossible to stump, .. if they're not

familiar with a requested song, they pull it up yt on a cell, watch it one time & bam .. nailed .

Anyway, I get to the bar and the band is not there wtf, it turns out he was arrested at a gig last

weekend & is in jail . I went to bail him out yesterday & was told it's a non-bailable offense and only

his immediate family has visitation privilege .

Bummer, .. the new Wedensday band was playing KC & the Sunshine whatever which was not

acceptable to my ears at that time . I was in the mood to hear "Whiskey in a Jar" and "Little Guitars" .

.... devastating change of routine imminent -

2236693674_Devastated_answer_3_xlarge.jp

Edited by Bezerker101
  • Like 1

This vid demonstrates clean cabs, and a bunch of different effects. I might be playing with one this weekend.

That reverb is nice. My favorite effect for sure. Used to be all into Flanger, Chorus, Phazer, Delay, especially with my Roland amp that had all these plus Tremolo and a couple others I can't think of at the moment. Slowly just kept playing with Reverb, and 99% of the time now I'm playing it's with Reverb on.

Reverb on my Line 6 is dope. I'm really digging the Tape Echo and Sweep Echo. There's a "tap" button on it that controls the bpm on the delay and echo to match what you're going for. It's great.