Sign in to follow this  
Nyte

**The Official Guitar Thread**

The solo starts around 1:18

^ Good musicians not great though but truly AWFUL music!  The guitarist has a magical ability to play around a note all night long without actually ever hitting it!  

Here are truly GREAT musicians & great music : 

Edited by EvolveWay7

Evolve, please stop posting in this thread. This thread is meant for guitarists and any people interested in guitar related items. You clearly do not meet these qualifications so I am going to have to respectfully ask you to cease participation in this thread.

DO NOT let me get my lawyer involved in this. My lawyer really has Evolved at what he does.

• Like 3

^ Good musicians not great though but truly AWFUL music!  The guitarist has a magical ability to play around a note all night long without actually ever hitting it!  

Here are truly GREAT musicians & great music : 

Evolve, please stop posting in this thread. This thread is meant for guitarists and any people interested in guitar related items. You clearly do not meet these qualifications so I am going to have to respectfully ask you to cease participation in this thread.

DO NOT let me get my lawyer involved in this. My lawyer really has Evolved at what he does.

LMAO!!!

• Like 2

You're praising a post of the John Scofield Band!   John Scofield is like Allan Holdsworth = a magical ability to play around a note all night long without ever actually hitting it!   No denying their technical skills but they compose & perform MF - Musical Flatulence & are very boring dull players.  All that track by them that was posted was lacking was even a remote hint of melody or an actual tune. 

I'm posting : 

Yngwie Malmsteen

Al Di Meola

Stanley Clarke

Tina S (16 year old virtuoso)

etc. 

Yes you are a natural born comedian!   I've heard a lot more guitarists than you have matey in all genres of music & no doubt many great players you've never even heard of in your life. 

Edited by EvolveWay7

You're praising a post of the John Scofield Band!   John Scofield is like Allan Holdsworth = a magical ability to play around a note all night long without ever actually hitting it!   No denying their technical skills but they compose & perform MF - Musical Flatulence & are very boring dull players.  All that track by them that was posted was lacking was even a remote hint of melody or an actual tune. 

I'm posting : 

Yngwie Malmsteen

Al Di Meola

Stanley Clarke

etc. 

Yes you are a natural born comedian!   I've heard a lot more guitarists than you have matey in all genres of music & no doubt many great players you've never even heard of in your life. 

vFI3ab1.gif

Thanks though.

• Like 2

You're praising a post of the John Scofield Band! John Scofield is like Allan Holdsworth = a magical ability to play around a note all night long without ever actually hitting it! No denying their technical skills but they compose & perform MF - Musical Flatulence & are very boring dull players. All that track by them that was posted was lacking was even a remote hint of melody or an actual tune.

I'm posting :

Yngwie Malmsteen

Al Di Meola

Stanley Clarke

etc.

Yes you are a natural born comedian! I've heard a lot more guitarists than you have matey in all genres of music & no doubt many great players you've never even heard of in your life.

Just so you know- what you call "playing around the note" is referred

to by musicians as "playing outside the key", or "taking it outside".

Edited by LennyTheBat

Evolveway, you've unintentionally brought up an interesting topic: how important is technique when it comes down to liking a piece of music or not?

For me, technique is only one component. Honestly I found the videos you posted pointless and cliche. I don't really like what they're playing, how they are playing it, nor their respective tones. Doesn't matter about the technique. It's like watching a weight lifter. Yeah he lifted a lot of weight but that doesn't move me.

There doesn't seem to be any poetry in your philosophy evolve way. But the bottom line is that I don't know why I like the music I like.

Edited by LennyTheBat
  • Like 2

Evolveway, you've unintentionally brought up an interesting topic: how important is technique when it comes down to liking a piece of music or not?

For me, technique is only one component. Honestly I found the videos you posted pointless and cliche. I don't really like what they're playing, how they are playing it, nor their respective tones. Doesn't matter about the technique. It's like watching a weight lifter. Yeah he lifted a lot of weight but that doesn't move me.

There doesn't seem to be any poetry in your philosophy evolve way. But the bottom line is that I don't know why I like the music I like.

The only thing important about music is how it makes the listener feel. The reason I dropped out of being a music major and studying classical guitar was because it took away what I enjoyed about music to begin with. 

**** rules, do what feels right. 

Edited by chons
  • Like 1

Are you ok with me using your thread to say Evolve is a can? If not that's cool I'll delete my post

• Like 2

Are you ok with me using your thread to say Evolve is a can? If not that's cool I'll delete my post

He is a can. If you need to use my thread to call him a can then so be it. But at the same time lets keep this on topic.

So call him a can in another thread and feel free to mention how canly he was is this thread

• Like 1

He is a can. If you need to use my thread to call him a can then so be it. But at the same time lets keep this on topic.

So call him a can in another thread and feel free to mention how canly he was is this thread

Ok will do, but I can also keep on topic here. For example, evolveway is a can for not mentioning how cool Dave Navarros guitars were on that episode of ink master where the artists had to paint on his cool guitars.

How's that one?

Ok will do, but I can also keep on topic here. For example, evolveway is a can for not mentioning how cool Dave Navarros guitars were on that episode of ink master where the artists had to paint on his cool guitars.

How's that one?

Ink Master is dope, Dave Navarro not so much.

Ink Master is dope, Dave Navarro not so much.

I agree Dave is a bit of a tool and sits gay, but I dug his guitars on that show which the canly evolveway hadn't mentioned. Anyone know what make they are?

• Like 1

I agree Dave is a bit of a tool and sits gay, but I dug his guitars on that show which the canly evolveway hadn't mentioned. Anyone know what make they are?

lmfao

Man really loving my new Martin. Got a question for you guys. So when I went to GC and was in the process of purchasing my acoustic, the lady asked me if I had a humidifier. I told her no and she said she recommends getting a humidifier because it'll help the guitar maintain it's color and not get damaged by any heat (also said keep it away from any heat, I've been doing that. Only time my guitar gets hot is when I'm playing it ;) ayyyy).

I told her I'd look into it. So what do you guys think about that? Have you heard anything about using a humidifier to protect your acoustics?? Really interested in this.

@Chons, @LennytheBat, @Bezerker, @Steeler,@IrishSemtex, @TigerChamp, and anyone. :) Thanks.

Humidity control is really important if you live in an area where the temp fluctuates or has very high humidity year round. I live right near the ocean so we get high humidity all summer as well as salty corrosive winds. Now if i kept my guitars on a wall mount exposed id probably get a bit nervous about them warping, but i keep all my guitars in decent quality hard cases in my room where temp and humidity doesnt shift dramatically. So basically even though my gear is about 10 years old its all still in really good condition and i didnt have to take any real special steps, just normal common sense.

• Like 1

Man really loving my new Martin. Got a question for you guys. So when I went to GC and was in the process of purchasing my acoustic, the lady asked me if I had a humidifier. I told her no and she said she recommends getting a humidifier because it'll help the guitar maintain it's color and not get damaged by any heat (also said keep it away from any heat, I've been doing that. Only time my guitar gets hot is when I'm playing it ;) ayyyy).

I told her I'd look into it. So what do you guys think about that? Have you heard anything about using a humidifier to protect your acoustics?? Really interested in this.

@Chons, @LennytheBat, @Bezerker, @Steeler,@IrishSemtex, @TigerChamp, and anyone. :) Thanks.

I'm offended you left me off the list.

I've owned a Martins acoustic for 21 years (possibly since before you were born).

Never used a dehumidifier and never had any issues. Save your hard earned dough.

• Like 3

Not ignoring you -- I just don't know the answer.  I'm very interested in this because I keep my acoustic on a stand in the living room.

• Like 1

Humidity control is really important if you live in an area where the temp fluctuates or has very high humidity year round. I live right near the ocean so we get high humidity all summer as well as salty corrosive winds. Now if i kept my guitars on a wall mount exposed id probably get a bit nervous about them warping, but i keep all my guitars in decent quality hard cases in my room where temp and humidity doesnt shift dramatically. So basically even though my gear is about 10 years old its all still in really good condition and i didnt have to take any real special steps, just normal common sense.

It gets humid out here, but usually the room I have it in is cool and shaded. Thanks for your response. This was literally the first time I heard someone recommend buying a dehumidifier for the guitar

I'm offended you left me off the list.

I've owned a Martins acoustic for 21 years (possibly since before you were born).

Never used a dehumidifier and never had any issues. Save your hard earned dough.

I am sooooo sorry. I sort of have a reputation of leaving people out of posts. I forgot you're the acoustic man. Thanks for your response. I'll go ahead and skip the humidifier

• Like 3

Not ignoring you -- I just don't know the answer.  I'm very interested in this because I keep my acoustic on a stand in the living room.

It's all good, luckily I had two fine gents give me solid answers. Your response is appreciated.

• Like 1

It all depends on the guitar, some are much more "touchy", than others, and not just acoustics. My best friend's Charvel electric is a nightmare that gets affected by even slight changes in humidity, and it's still his favorite.

My other friend (guitar tech and luthier), suggests using some oil treatment for those dry winters, I'll ask him about what he uses. 

• Like 2

Psyched .. my bud recently put together a monster band, 2 best guitarists in Cebu & a super-freak drummer .

I will be there to vid the performance & will post highlights here within a couple days . Also meeting a gf I

haven't seen in over a year and 2 friends from back home (Memphis area) ... huge night for yours truly -

time-out-restaurant.jpg

• Like 5

I went to GC last week and played on this thousand dollar Fender Strat (Fender Limited-Edition American Standard Stratocaster)50's style single coil pick ups. Plugged it into the Marshall 40W DSL Tube Amp.

My god it was **** amazing. Before that I played on a Gibson Les Paul, a really expensive one, and it was cool. But I gotta say, I think I am a Fender man for life. I really preferred the Strat. As someone who owns a Telecaster, I'm already leaning towards Fender,but at the same time I always thought my next guitar would be a Gibson Les Paul. But honestly, I'd rather just get a Strat.

I definitely need to invest in a tube amp. Even though I have a digital amp that has over 200 presets, that 1 clean, crunch Marshall sound alpha's any tone I can get on my Line 6.

Next year if I'm making dough out of college, I'm gonna get both of these.

Edited by NyteRyder
  • Like 2

ESP Eclipse > Gibson Les Paul IMO. 

Other than for playing metal, the Fender Strat is my favorite, but my friend is starting to make a convincing argument for Charvel. Apparently most of David Gilmore's Strats now are either strait up Charvel or Fenders with Charvel necks. 

Some purists might view such things as gimmicks (they're not!) & you can have a lot of fun with them : 

More explanation (incl. tabs download) : 

Lot of fun & live on stage in darkened room, your guitar looks rather cool all lit up.  Challenge too even if good on acoustic to incorporate that as well = Electronic Fingerstyle as they term it. 

Edited by EvolveWay7

I went to GC last week and played on this thousand dollar Fender Strat (Fender Limited-Edition American Standard Stratocaster)50's style single coil pick ups. Plugged it into the Marshall 40W DSL Tube Amp.

My god it was **** amazing. Before that I played on a Gibson Les Paul, a really expensive one, and it was cool. But I gotta say, I think I am a Fender man for life. I really preferred the Strat. As someone who owns a Telecaster, I'm already leaning towards Fender,but at the same time I always thought my next guitar would be a Gibson Les Paul. But honestly, I'd rather just get a Strat.

I definitely need to invest in a tube amp. Even though I have a digital amp that has over 200 presets, that 1 clean, crunch Marshall sound alpha's any tone I can get on my Line 6.

Next year if I'm making dough out of college, I'm gonna get both of these.

Congratulations on your epiphany. 

**** digital. Imperfection is beauty.

• Like 1

Nita Strauss (Alice Cooper, Iron Maidens, etc) - cool Ibanez guitar!  She is technically better than the likes of Orianthi.  Second video getting tricked into meeting Jason Becker - if you don't know who he is, you're in the wrong thread dude!  Great advice from Jason on how to be the best musician you can be. 

Edited by EvolveWay7

I've been learning the main solo from Sweet Child O' Mine and am proud to say I can play it all the way through now! And with the wah wah ofcourse. Actually a fun solo to play.

I have a little sony speaker, so I like to connect my Ipod to it, get a backing track going, and attempt to solo over it. Coming out good so far

Last week I had a neck with rosewood board put on my '75/76 trasitional Strat.  The new neck is off a '77. My tech guy also raised the bridge pickup -- sounds awesome!!!

Check it out:

p1Ff487.jpg

Edited by LennyTheBat
  • Like 3

Righteous bump, Lenny. That's a sweet guitar, man.

What type of amp are you plugging that into?

• Like 2

Righteous bump, Lenny. That's a sweet guitar, man.

What type of amp are you plugging that into?

Thanks Nyte! I push it through an old Fender Princeton Reverb/  All tube.  The only pedal I use is a Fulltone OCD.  It's asnsimple a rig as you can do -- but sweet as ****. 

Here's my amp -- all 15 watts lol.

riBLypv.jpg

Edited by LennyTheBat
  • Like 2

Thanks Nyte! I push it through an old Fender Princeton Reverb/  All tube.  The only pedal I use is a Fulltone OCD.  It's asnsimple a rig as you can do -- but sweet as ****. 

Here's my amp -- all 15 watts lol.

riBLypv.jpg

Nice man. Once I graduate college and get a good full time job, I'm going to invest in a quality tube amp. Gonna go with Fender or Marshall.

Screw all those effects. As long as I have reverb and quality sound, I'm good to go.

• Like 1

Nice man. Once I graduate college and get a good full time job, I'm going to invest in a quality tube amp. Gonna go with Fender or Marshall.

Screw all those effects. As long as I have reverb and quality sound, I'm good to go.

Right on.

I bought this a couple of months ago, it's not only the best guitar I've owned, but it's one of the best I've ever played. I know, it's kinda goofy looking... I want to trade my Jackson Randy Rhoads, for a Fender Jaguar or something similar, as I'm getting more into playing non-metal these days. 

12985417_612294635612689_269870813462774

• Like 5

Also, I advise any tone freak to check out Bias Amp and Bias FX from positive grid. Bias Amp allows you to clone pretty much any guitar tone, and gain that you can sample. You can sample from live amps in a room, or even just from a quick clip from a recording, it's really amazing. 

• Like 1

I love playing guitar.  Unfortunately I haven't had one in nearly 8 years :(

I keep telling myself to pick up a cheap acoustic or a cheap electric+amp combo but I never do.  

I'm not really any good but I love trying. 

• Like 5

I bought this a couple of months ago, it's not only the best guitar I've owned, but it's one of the best I've ever played. I know, it's kinda goofy looking... I want to trade my Jackson Randy Rhoads, for a Fender Jaguar or something similar, as I'm getting more into playing non-metal these days. 

Cat's like "don't you dare plug that in mutha ****er"

Sweet guitar!

• Like 2

When you said you bought this a couple months ago, I thought you were referring to the cat! lol

Definitely go for the Fender man! IMO, one of the most versatile guitars you can play on. Can't really go wrong with a good Fender Strat, Tele, or a Jaguar as you mentioned. Not really a big fan of the Jaguar design; I've always been a tele guy and is what I've been playing on the last two years. But if the tone sounds right, I wouldn't mind

This is the type I have.

p1_uuq5yrm0a_so.jpg

You ever been into the acoustic playing? I bought myself a Martin last September when they put it on sale again for $500. I had a cheap Epiphone acoustic before that and was hard for me to get into the acoustic. Now that I have my Martin, I play it a lot more and enjoy playing unplugged a lot more.

• Like 2

I love playing guitar.  Unfortunately I haven't had one in nearly 8 years :(

I keep telling myself to pick up a cheap acoustic or a cheap electric+amp combo but I never do.  

I'm not really any good but I love trying. 

Do it!! I know it takes a while to get acclimated to and is filled with tons of frustrations, but that's the fun part about learning guitar. I remember it took me around six months to feel comfortable and get my fingers working. But I also remember I just had fun along the way and would always be watching videos and looking up new tabs. EDIT: Then again, I had three different friends in my dorms who who way more experienced and helped me along the way for essentially my entire freshman year. Honestly the only reason I attribute where I'm at now is because of them. (well mostly two of them, but the third person helped with small things that are important too).

It's nice to start at the bottom, get a cheap guitar. Then as you progress, you'll start to develop your own sound and find the type of music you like to play. For me, I started off learning a bunch of Metallica songs and various other metal songs. Wasn't too much into Zeppelin. Then one day, BAM, became huge Zep/Jimmy Page fan and became more of a blues guy and that's what I enjoy playing

Time goes by fast. It might take you shorter and longer period to feel more comfortable, but as long as you stick to it; even if it's just playing a couple times a week, you'll get better in no time. Then you can serenade your wife into doing anything!

Edited by Nyte
  • Like 2

When you said you bought this a couple months ago, I thought you were referring to the cat! lol

Definitely go for the Fender man! IMO, one of the most versatile guitars you can play on. Can't really go wrong with a good Fender Strat, Tele, or a Jaguar as you mentioned. Not really a big fan of the Jaguar design; I've always been a tele guy and is what I've been playing on the last two years. But if the tone sounds right, I wouldn't mind

This is the type I have.

p1_uuq5yrm0a_so.jpg

You ever been into the acoustic playing? I bought myself a Martin last September when they put it on sale again for $500. I had a cheap Epiphone acoustic before that and was hard for me to get into the acoustic. Now that I have my Martin, I play it a lot more and enjoy playing unplugged a lot more.

Hehe, the cat is the queen of the house. 

I used to own a Strat, but it was a Strat Plus, and a lemon at that. The Jaguar suits me more because of the bigger body, as I'm 6'3, and it feel a bit more comfortable for me to play. 

I never really got into acoustics. I majored in music (at first), in college, and played classical guitar for a while, but it never felt natural. A friend of mine showed me on of the most beautiful acoustics he made for some high end company years ago. Lots of odd design choices I've never seen on a guitar. He said the company he worked for would charge twenty grand for the guitar... lol I'm going to snap a few pics of it the next time I see him and post them here. 

• Like 4

Nice axes....

All this cat talk is making me think we need a cat thread though...@chons, we got kittens 3 weeks ago. I did post pictures but was turned upon by the forum for doing so :(

• Like 1

Nice axes....

All this cat talk is making me think we need a cat thread though...@chons, we got kittens 3 weeks ago. I did post pictures but was turned upon by the forum for doing so :(

I'm a total cat nerd/freak. 

Where are the pics? The forum can be a cold and harsh reality! :P

• Like 1