Sign in to follow this  
Nyte

**The Official Guitar Thread**

**** this dude is like the Tom Morello of the Uke

I had opened another thread in another thread and was playing this video, then I started hearing what he was playing around 4:05 and had to come back and see what the fook he was doing lol

pretty dope yo

• Like 1

Man, I just can't get enough of this guitar solo! This along with Stairway are my all-time favorite solos. Since I've Been Loving You occasionally takes the #1 spot, as it is again right now.

Solo is from 3:40-4:53.

So many cool little pentatonic licks, like at 3:55. One of the best solos you'll ever hear. Amazin'

• Like 1

Running into some hard rifts and transitions on the piece I'm working on.  It's going to take a lot of practice to overcome it.  I don't know if the piece will be ready in time before Christmas. 

I just looked up a few performances of the piece I'm working on.  I picked up on 2 tricks.  More relaxation in both hands and switch position rather than reach.   The piece SHOULD slowly come together I hope.  If not, I making a promise right now - I will have this piece down some time in 2017.  I've invested too many precious hours to abandon this piece...I've already failed to learn it twice now.  Not letting it happen again.  I can do this!

• Like 1

Guitarist from Cryptopsy are highly underrated. Flo Mounier and Lord Worm got all the recognition from that band, but the guitarist had some great riffs and solos.

Chons is probably the only one here to know who I'm talking about lol

• Like 1

I just looked up a few performances of the piece I'm working on.  I picked up on 2 tricks.  More relaxation in both hands and switch position rather than reach.   The piece SHOULD slowly come together I hope.  If not, I making a promise right now - I will have this piece down some time in 2017.  I've invested too many precious hours to abandon this piece...I've already failed to learn it twice now.  Not letting it happen again.  I can do this!

What piece are you learning? Or is it a secret?

• Like 1

Guitarist from Cryptopsy are highly underrated. Flo Mounier and Lord Worm got all the recognition from that band, but the guitarist had some great riffs and solos.

Chons is probably the only one here to know who I'm talking about lol

I have no idea, but I'll go look it up and listen. I'm an elitist prick that only likes a handful of bands. :P

Homies! My guitar pedal came in today! --->  http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix/Soul-Food-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal.gc

Gonna go play around with it and see how many different sounds I can get out of it!

I'll be sure to report back here and let you know how it is!

Rock on fellas.

Grats!

I don't know if you (or anybody else), has a guitar interface for computers, but if so... I have access to stuff that will fulfill every tone/effect need, plus recording software. 

• Like 2

OMFG, that guitar pedal is AMAZIN'!

Fooking love it. Great tone. I have the drive turned all the way up, but keep the treble at the halfway mark or even below that and it sounds great.

For $80, it was a great purchase!

• Like 2

Here's something of a musical koan for you guys to contemplate, see if it has any meaning for you. This is an old horn player's saying that goes like this:

"It's better to have one good mouthpiece than two great mouthpieces."

• Like 1

OMFG, that guitar pedal is AMAZIN'!

Fooking love it. Great tone. I have the drive turned all the way up, but keep the treble at the halfway mark or even below that and it sounds great.

For $80, it was a great purchase!

Well let's hear it then..

Here's something of a musical koan for you guys to contemplate, see if it has any meaning for you. This is an old horn player's saying that goes like this:

It's better to have one solid player than 2 superstars because the 2 superstars are going to clash and fight over who gets what. 

When it comes to the metal I like to listen to, the two guitar attack is what I need. I also prefer them to be ****ty, a-tonal lead players. :P

Are you an elitist prick it not?

Not. What I like as far as guitar players go (for the most part), can hardly be considered elitist. 

Did you two just have an argument over a quote? Or did I miss something?

Idk, but either way, I'm not tolerating it in my thread. Thread has been solid for five pages without an argument. Only one thing to do now.

For Lenny:

stunner2.gif

For Chons: 

tumblr_n1zp7zS9X41reweqzo1_400.gif

And for Nyte :) :

3080709.gif

• Like 1

I realize I, and possibly Bubba, could be in the bracket of those who "missed it" as Bubba implies. In that case, here is my response(s) for that:

stunner2.gif

tumblr_mnbh8cZe4G1ro8ysbo3_400.gif

Edited by Nyte
  • Like 1

Ok back to guitar stuff.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Zappa's Inca Roads solo off of one size fits all. Early/mid seventies. Can't post a link I'm on my phone and have less than a minute.

LSS-- that slow hand solo from IR became a significant theme for Zappa. He would go on to take extended IR solos concert and then name the solos -- I think shut up n play yer guitar is an Inca Roads solo, for instance.

• Like 1

Did you two just have an argument over a quote? Or did I miss something?

Don't mind him, he's a brow beating democrat that goes on tirades when people don't conform to his thought process. 

Damn! You guys are into some tech ****! Are you into rock and roll? Punk rock? that Al DiMeola video was cool. Anybody have cool amps? I'm much more of an amp nerd than guitar, but I have a few decent guitars. 

I only have two amps. First one is a Roland Cube 20W.

Second is Line 6 75-W (Spider Jam IV)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpiderJam?adpos=1o1&creative=55281441601&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=SpiderJam&gclid=Cj0KEQiAt9vEBRDQmPSow-q5gs8BEiQAaWSEDhclqXj0WDQKmsYs_wyxDKv7b8aXVCZHQpRySDYg7A8aAoKo8P8HAQ

^here's the link to that one. It's the one I use all the time. I really dig it. Great clean tones. I play half clean and half distortion and like toggling between the two when I play.

• Like 1

I only have two amps. First one is a Roland Cube 20W.

Second is Line 6 75-W (Spider Jam IV)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpiderJam?

^here's the link to that one. It's the one I use all the time. I really dig it. Great clean tones. I play half clean and half distortion and like toggling between the two when I play.

It's amazing the amount of clean volume those cubes can put out. They're perfect for recording as are the Line 6ers. I have a spider that I stripped out of the cabinet and use as an effects rig for a backup amp to get space(y) sounds running like a loop in the background. My main addiction is old tube amps though. My tastes tend to lean toward the psychedelic these days so the old stuff is the sure way to get that certain thickness to the tone, but it's tough to manage the volume. I have seven of them now and my practice space is Sanford and Son AF looking.

74' Orange OR120 w/ master volume mod

85' Marshall JCM 800 50w (w/1960A cab)

75' Twin Reverb

76' Twin Reverb (Blackface mod and 1/2 power with Greenbacks)

91' Hiwatt LB100 (non-sterling)

78' Sunn Model T (silver knob w/ KT88s)

79' Music Man 410HD 130 (ditched the 10s and made it a 2-12 combo)

A bit overkill, I admit. But I recognize my psychosis and have become all too comfortable with it. What kind of guitars do you like?

• Like 1

It's amazing the amount of clean volume those cubes can put out. They're perfect for recording as are the Line 6ers. I have a spider that I stripped out of the cabinet and use as an effects rig for a backup amp to get space(y) sounds running like a loop in the background. My main addiction is old tube amps though. My tastes tend to lean toward the psychedelic these days so the old stuff is the sure way to get that certain thickness to the tone, but it's tough to manage the volume. I have seven of them now and my practice space is Sanford and Son AF looking.

74' Orange OR120 w/ master volume mod

85' Marshall JCM 800 50w (w/1960A cab)

75' Twin Reverb

76' Twin Reverb (Blackface mod and 1/2 power with Greenbacks)

91' Hiwatt LB100 (non-sterling)

78' Sunn Model T (silver knob w/ KT88s)

79' Music Man 410HD 130 (ditched the 10s and made it a 2-12 combo)

A bit overkill, I admit. But I recognize my psychosis and have become all too comfortable with it. What kind of guitars do you like?

That's awesome man! I really really want to get a tube amp. IMO, I'll take a tube amp with a reverb channel over a digital amp that has 10+ effects and 100+ presets. Those are great and all, for sure, but you can't beat that clean tube sound. Plus all I really need is a good clean tone, good crunch sound, and reverb and I'm good to go.

As for guitars, I'm a Fender man. I've been playing on my Fender Telecaster since 2014 and haven't needed a new guitar. I went into GC in summer of 2014 and went in with the mindset that I was gonna leave with a new guitar. By that time, I had found my playing style so I knew what types of guitars I would be trying. After three hours, I left with a telecaster.

I like the tele because you get could great clean tones from the the neck, middle and bridge pickups. (Especially the neck pickup. That's what most of my playing consist of). The crunch sound is perfect and it's just a great guitar to solo on. I have the thinnest strings possible on em (8's), maple wood neck, man it's great. I would definitely love to get a Gibson Les Paul in the future. ESPs, Ibanez, Flying V's, etc aren't my type of guitars. I like the more bluesy-friendly guitars.

Probably will even get a good strat in the future. How bout you?

Edited by BryceHarper>MikeTrout
  • Like 1

That's awesome man! I really really want to get a tube amp. IMO, I'll take a tube amp with a reverb channel over a digital amp that has 10+ effects and 100+ presets. Those are great and all, for sure, but you can't beat that clean tube sound. Plus all I really need is a good clean tone, good crunch sound, and reverb and I'm good to go.

As for guitars, I'm a Fender man. I've been playing on my Fender Telecaster since 2014 and haven't needed a new guitar. I went into GC in summer of 2014 and went in with the mindset that I was gonna leave with a new guitar. By that time, I had found my playing style so I knew what types of guitars I would be trying. After three hours, I left with a telecaster.

I like the tele because you get could great clean tones from the the neck, middle and bridge pickups. (Especially the neck pickup. That's what most of my playing consist of). The crunch sound is perfect and it's just a great guitar to solo on. I have the thinnest strings possible on em (8's), maple wood neck, man it's great. I would definitely love to get a Gibson Les Paul in the future. ESPs, Ibanez, Flying V's, etc aren't my type of guitars. I like the more bluesy-friendly guitars.

Probably will even get a good strat in the future. How bout you?

Yeah, I'm a fan of the reverb as well. A nice Accutronics tank in a Fender is about as good as it gets, though I use an outboard Univox reverb tank a lot that is about 2/3 the length of a standard Accutronics spring and it is unique in it's sustain and a little easier to control feedback with the fuzz at full blast.

Definitely share the Fender love. I have a Jaguar and a couple of Gibsons (Firebird V, SG Standard), but the Jaguar is my go-to and sees 90% of my playing time. Fender just has it all figured out in the available range. You can go from the thinnest to the fattest of the fat with the flick of a switch. Especially on the Teles and Strats. Gibsons have really sweet, subtly biting tone, but are kind of limited when it comes to clean sounds. Well, except for the Firebird regarding overall tone. It sounds like it's name. All scream and no sweetness whatsoever. Almost a useless guitar, but I still like it.

I've always been partial to the Telecaster, but somehow never owned one. But I'm more likely to spend my money on an amp that I'll never use than another guitar lol. Used to have an American Strat with Lace Sensors, but foolishly traded it for a J-bass that I ended up hating. But I miss that thing, for sure. It was a V neck and felt sooo good. Not sure what I was thinking

Haha! I do appreciate a nice Flying V from time to time, though I can't explain why.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm a fan of the reverb as well. A nice Accutronics tank in a Fender is about as good as it gets, though I use an outboard Univox reverb tank a lot that is about 2/3 the length of a standard Accutronics spring and it is unique in it's sustain and a little easier to control feedback with the fuzz at full blast.

Definitely share the Fender love. I have a Jaguar and a couple of Gibsons (Firebird V, SG Standard), but the Jaguar is my go-to and sees 90% of my playing time. Fender just has it all figured out in the available range. You can go from the thinnest to the fattest of the fat with the flick of a switch. Especially on the Teles and Strats. Gibsons have really sweet, subtly biting tone, but are kind of limited when it comes to clean sounds. Well, except for the Firebird regarding overall tone. It sounds like it's name. All scream and no sweetness whatsoever. Almost a useless guitar, but I still like it.

I've always been partial to the Telecaster, but somehow never owned one. But I'm more likely to spend my money on an amp that I'll never use than another guitar lol. Used to have an American Strat with Lace Sensors, but foolishly traded it for a J-bass that I ended up hating. But I miss that thing, for sure. It was a V neck and felt sooo good. Not sure what I was thinking

Haha! I do appreciate a nice Flying V from time to time, though I can't explain why.

Agree 100% on the Fenders. It's why I picked up the Tele--for it's versatility. And I definitely saw that I got a fuller range of clean tones from my tele compared to the Gibsons's I played.

I do own a Epiphone SG. It was the first guitar I ever purchased in summer of 2012 with my Roland Cube 20W. Those were my beginner equipment and it took me about a year to find my path or "tone" if you will. That's when two years later down the road, I knew the type of tones I wanted from a guitar and the telecaster fulfilled all those desires!

I never play on that SG anymore either. It just sits on my guitar stand. It was a cheap guitar, think I bought it for $150, where as my Fender tele was $500. Still considering buying some pickups for my telecaster, but honestly am still very satisfied with the single-coil pickups in them.

What do you guys think about this amp? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00432PSJO/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=shutupandplay-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00432PSJO&linkId=61c7b22b03202b95422defbb82342a54

I was watching this video and followed his link to his gear and this is what he used. Really dig the tone. I know the guitar he's using affects the sound too.

Especially that lick at 13:02--sounds great

Well I ordered that amp that is in that video above. It was a used amp, didn't even turn on. Brought it to GC 3 weeks ago. They took it to a repair shop which is off site

Still haven't heard back from them but think I'm just gonna go down and get my refund

So finally got my first tube amp! Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III. Awesome distortion, comes with a foot switch, thank Jesus. I'm loving it. When I tested it out, I played this Gibson SG and it sounded amazing. Not that my Standard Fender Tele doesn't sound good too on it, but I think I'm gonna look into getting that SG.

Pretty sure it was this one-->http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2016-SG-Faded-Series-T-Electric-Guitar.gc

Here's the amp I got: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Hot-Rod-Deluxe-III-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

Man, I really wanna get that SG now. That tone I got on there was right up my alley and the tone I'm looking for.

im buying an Ibanez RG7421 next month, and im always looking for an RG7621 thats mint (or damn close).

7-stringed guitar? Dang nice m8, what type of music/sound are you going for or just enjoy playing?

I bought a Epiphone SG in 2012, took me a couple years to figure out what type of tone I was going for and low and behold a telecaster came my way

• Like 1