Sign in to follow this  
TigerChamp

Robbie Maddison has giant cajones

IN THE latest evidence his life is way cooler than pretty much anyone’s, Robbie Maddison spent the day riding his motorbike in the surf at Teahupoo.

The Australian stuntman — who blew our minds by backflipping over the Tower Bridge in London and jumping to the top of a replica of the Arc de Triomphe — has been dreaming of taking his dirt bike out at one of the world’s most iconic waves for almost two years.

“I grew up surfing and my wife is a big-time wakeboard champion, so every time we’re home in Australia we’re in boats, on the water,” Maddison told Surfer Magazine.

“I was on the back of a boat and we were cruising along the river and I’m looking at the wake coming up the back, watching her wakeboard, and something clicked in my head.

“I fantasised putting skis on a bike and riding on water. It was a stupid vision at the time, but I kept toying with it, playing with designs and concepts, and eventually it became a reality.”

You can watch Maddison take on Teahupoo in the video below. While it looks like a lot of fun, Maddison said there were some sticky moments.

“The thing that sticks with me the most after that whole experience was how physically demanding it was,” he told Surfer Magazine. “Honestly, I really thought that getting the right wave would have been easier (laughs). I don’t think the photos or video show how physical it was.

“You can’t see that when the wave broke right behind me, I honestly thought that might be the end of my life. I’ve never felt like I was in the wrong place at the wrong time more than I did right there.

“It was a near-death experience. At the end of the day, the images and footage say something pretty awesome, but the ferocity and how gnarly that thing was can’t really be put into words.”

Several pro athletes were blown away by the footage.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/robbie-maddison-rides-motorbike-in-surf-in-tahiti/story-fno61i58-1227467651884

• Like 4

That's pretty ****ing cool before he even gets on the waves

• Like 2

Wowsers.....went to that beach on my honeymoon with the vague intent of surfing it (having previously surfed in the North Sea's 3-4 foot waves).  Saw the locals getting annihilated by 10-15 foot waves and decided against it.  To ride a motorbike on those waves is just insane.

That said, i still think doing it the old-fashioned way is pretty cool!

• Like 2

LoL Canada doesnt have beaches

lmao  i live in one of the only two cities in the world that is surrounded between two or more different lakes. wtf do you know? we got the best beaches around. even a nude beach if thats your kind of thing

over in australia i bet you probably dont even have beaches.  you have oceans surrounded by sharks with friggen laser beams

Edited by idyb

lmao  i live in one of the only two cities in the world that is surrounded between two or more different lakes. wtf do you know? we got the best beaches around. even a nude beach if thats your kind of thing

over in australia i bet you probably dont even have beaches.  you have oceans surrounded by sharks with friggen laser beams

Rofl the land surrounding a lake isn't a beach

It's called the shore

Rofl the land surrounding a lake isn't a beach

It's called the shore

we have several beaches here and multiple lakes. we get several thousands of tourists just chilling on them on just your average summer day. guaranteed there is right now because theres a big week long festival in town with bands playing down by the downtown beach every night and fireworks and other events and stuff. the snowbirds just arrived for wednesdays airshow.

personally i try to avoid the beaches.  too many times ive had cops pour my beer out.   i bet you live somewhere thats **** ugly. i live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Edited by idyb