• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,033 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

I'm watching Road ot UFC Japan on Fight Pass, which is basically TUF Japan. There's one big difference between it, and every other TUF show that UFC has done, and I think it's the ultimate thing that could fix how dull TUF has become:

Road to UFC Japan is only a half hour show.

Condensing it into half the time really makes the show flow better, and stops it from dragging, which is my biggest complaint about the current seasons of TUF. They just don't have enough interesting material to fill an hour every week.

That all said, from a business perspective, they'd probably get less money for the show because they'd be providing less content to the TV stations, so it probably doesn't make sense, but damn would the quality of the show to up.

#2 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Do you see what happens, Larry?

• Ultimate
  • 46,301 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

Oh, Road to Japan isn't a countdown show for the show at Saitama? ****... I'm not watching that any more.

Champion of Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-7-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#3 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Oh, Road to Japan isn't a countdown show for the show at Saitama? ****... I'm not watching that any more.

No, it's essentially TUF Japan. It's actually among the better Ultimate Fighters that they've done in a long time so far, mainly because the shows are so short.

#4 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

• Ultimate
  • 46,301 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

No, it's essentially TUF Japan. It's actually among the better Ultimate Fighters that they've done in a long time so far, mainly because the shows are so short.

My only qualms with these foreign TUF shows is that I'm constantly distracted by the subtitles. I feel like if I miss one, I don't know what they're talking about after that. It throws me off. 

I'll probably check it out for the fights though.

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png

amazin

#5 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

My only qualms with these foreign TUF shows is that I'm constantly distracted by the subtitles. I feel like if I miss one, I don't know what they're talking about after that. It throws me off. 

I'll probably check it out for the fights though.

This one has two coaches that speak English, so it's not as bad as the others in that regard. Barnett speaks some Japanese, but not a ton.

#6 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

• Ultimate
  • 46,301 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

This one has two coaches that speak English, so it's not as bad as the others in that regard. Barnett speaks some Japanese, but not a ton.

Barnett vs. who?

amazin

#7 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Barnett vs. who?

Roy Nelson

#8 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

• Ultimate
  • 46,301 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:36 AM

Roy Nelson

I assumed, but you never really know with the UFC.

They had McGregor on UFC Tonight last night talking smack to Urijah like they're going to fight. Then he was badmouthing Dillashaw.. It's confusing sometimes.

amazin

#9 freddievanhalen3

freddievanhalen3

Adolf Sniffler

• Free
  • 50,562 posts
  • LocationThe Tenderloin SF

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

Or they could just stop with TUF

2015 Drunkest Forum Poster

2016 Drunkest Forum Poster

2016 Most Laid Back Forum Poster

2016 Nicest Forum Poster

2016 Happiest Forum Poster

#10 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,033 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Or they could just stop with TUF

I wouldn't be opposed to that solution either, but if it has to continue, cutting out all of the filler that they use to make the show an hour would be a significant improvement.

• freddievanhalen3 and amunera like this

#11 freddievanhalen3

freddievanhalen3

Adolf Sniffler

• Free
  • 50,562 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

I wouldn't be opposed to that solution either, but if it has to continue, cutting out all of the filler that they use to make the show an hour would be a significant improvement.

I agree 

2016 Nicest Forum Poster

#12 SAEC

SAEC
  • Ultimate
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMelborune

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:27 PM

The show is directed and edited by Daisuke Saito, who made all PRIDE introduction footages. Cool visual and different from normal TUF.

• freddievanhalen3 likes this

#13 freddievanhalen3

freddievanhalen3

Adolf Sniffler

• Free
  • 50,562 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

The show is directed and edited by Daisuke Saito, who made all PRIDE introduction footages. Cool visual and different from normal TUF.

I didnt know that 

2016 Nicest Forum Poster

#14 JamesonTheBrawler

JamesonTheBrawler
  • Free
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

Guys apparently this show is only half way done though, and the fight card is this Saturday. Japan already aired all 13 episodes I believe. So basically, I can't find the stream or torrent for them and now I'm gunna get the semi finals spoiled come Saturday night. Anyone realize this? This is why I was so confused why it was only 23 minutes and how they could complete the show before the fight card. 

I will say, I don't mind TUF. I would prefer they keep it an hr. I love the editing it Road to japan, I'd love it if they had that sort of comedy heart warming spin like this Japan TUF does, but you can clearly see its because the difference in Culture. Those comedians who narrate really crack me up. 

#15 freddievanhalen3

freddievanhalen3

Adolf Sniffler

• Free
  • 50,562 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

Guys apparently this show is only half way done though, and the fight card is this Saturday. Japan already aired all 13 episodes I believe. So basically, I can't find the stream or torrent for them and now I'm gunna get the semi finals spoiled come Saturday night. Anyone realize this? This is why I was so confused why it was only 23 minutes and how they could complete the show before the fight card. 

I will say, I don't mind TUF. I would prefer they keep it an hr. I love the editing it Road to japan, I'd love it if they had that sort of comedy heart warming spin like this Japan TUF does, but you can clearly see its because the difference in Culture. Those comedians who narrate really crack me up. 

Canpass

2016 Nicest Forum Poster

#16 freddievanhalen3

freddievanhalen3

Adolf Sniffler

• Free
  • 50,562 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

That Ishihara Hirota fight was awesome!

• JChristian522 likes this

2016 Nicest Forum Poster

#17 juice64011

juice64011
  • Moderators
  • 24,597 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

I'm watching Road ot UFC Japan on Fight Pass, which is basically TUF Japan. There's one big difference between it, and every other TUF show that UFC has done, and I think it's the ultimate thing that could fix how dull TUF has become:

Road to UFC Japan is only a half hour show.

Condensing it into half the time really makes the show flow better, and stops it from dragging, which is my biggest complaint about the current seasons of TUF. They just don't have enough interesting material to fill an hour every week.

That all said, from a business perspective, they'd probably get less money for the show because they'd be providing less content to the TV stations, so it probably doesn't make sense, but damn would the quality of the show to up.

I've thought tuf should be 30 minutes for awhile now. Most of what they show is pointless.
  • Mcmax3000 and freddievanhalen3 like this

MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion
Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 18:TUF Champion

#18 freddievanhalen3

freddievanhalen3

Adolf Sniffler

• Free
  • 50,562 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

I've thought tuf should be 30 minutes for awhile now. Most of what they show is pointless.

Might actually help out 

2016 Nicest Forum Poster

#19 Rastajambo

Rastajambo

Team Bombo Klatt

• Free
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

another idea is to make them have 2 fights every episode,  first ep with loads of fights was good in TUF 22.  Then some eps were just dire... the whole watermelon helicopter thing was just pointless...

I enjoyed the first quarter final ep, both fights were ok.  last weeks ep was a bit dull tho.

• juice64011 likes this

abd-75.gif

UFC Fight Night 72

UFC Fight Night 76

UFC Fight Night 84

#20 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,033 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:58 AM

another idea is to make them have 2 fights every episode,  first ep with loads of fights was good in TUF 22.  Then some eps were just dire... the whole watermelon helicopter thing was just pointless...

I enjoyed the first quarter final ep, both fights were ok.  last weeks ep was a bit dull tho.

I think the two fights per episode thing works great for the later rounds, but in the earlier rounds, when you have no idea who any of the guys are, I feel like a bit more time dedicated to getting to know the fighters is better. Otherwise, why should I care who wins, and loses?

I realize as I say this that the same problems can come up in half hour episodes as well, but they did make it work on the Japan show.