NetshadeX

The Gun thread

A forum full of alphas in their prime. surely we have some folk here who regularly spend time at the range?

I fully realize it's a politcally sensitive subject but for all the negativity surrounding the subject there's a whole world of responsible passionate gun owners out there. If there's enough of you in here this could be the place to discuss firearms and the art of shooting. I got my licence a year and a half ago and came to realize I should have done so much earlier. There's a whole science to shooting and you literally learn something new every day. There's so much to learn it's overwhelming at first.

I'll kick things off by saying I wish I got a different rifle as my first. I kind of fell for the tacti-cool look of the Savage Mark II TRR-SR (.22LR) and now I kind of wish I had picked a different model.

There are no iron sights on it and shooting with a 6-24 scope got old fast once I had it properly sighted in. I removed the bipod and ordered a red dot yesterday. It's coming in tomorrow and I hope it'll breath some life into the experience.

So how about you licenced guys, what have you got and how do you like it? 

• Like 4

I have roughly 60 guns. Mostly handguns as that's my "thing". From Glocks to Sigs to HKs to S&W Revolvers to a bad purchse of a desert Eagle.

I do own a few rifles. I own two Colt LE6920 and swap out the uppers occasionally for a 300 blackout.

Favorite manufacturer: Heckler and Koch

Favorite gun I own: HK Mark 23

Favorite thing at the range: shooting suppressed 9mm and .45ACP

Least favorite thing: Idiots at the range who don't know gun safety.

• Like 3

I have roughly 60 guns. Mostly handguns as that's my "thing". From Glocks to Sigs to HKs to S&W Revolvers to a bad purchse of a desert Eagle.

I do own a few rifles. I own two Colt LE6920 and swap out the uppers occasionally for a 300 blackout.

Favorite manufacturer: Heckler and Koch

Favorite gun I own: HK Mark 23

Favorite thing at the range: shooting suppressed 9mm and .45ACP

Least favorite thing: Idiots at the range who don't know gun safety.

Wow, that's quite a collection ! I'm thinking about the Walther PPQ M2 as my first handgun. I won't be eligable to get it untill 2017 so I have plenty of time to change my mind but I hear good things. What makes you say the Mark 23 is your favorite? Any specific reason?

• Like 1

I've got a Glock 22 and a Springfield 1911

I go shooting once or twice a month with a buddy of mine that has quite a few AR's that are really fun

I'm not a gun nut I just got them more for a SHTF scenario so I at least have something to protect my family with. I mean don't get me wrong, I really love to hit the range but I wouldn't know half of the guns the real gun nuts would mention.

I do have a **** load of ammunition though LoL pisses my wife off everytime I pick up another box

• Like 3

Lol at licensed.

Anyways, there's a ridiculous amount of folks on here that don't like guns, but I'm one that does and always have. I carry all the time, usually my Glock 27. Currently own about 15 but I've traded and sold many more. Worked in a gun shop while in college.

Couple weeks ago got a Sig P226 Legion in single action only and it is AWESOME to shoot. My gf just did a training class with me a few weeks ago and did very well with her Sig 250

• Like 3

Wow, that's quite a collection ! I'm thinking about the Walther PPQ M2 as my first handgun. I won't be eligable to get it untill 2017 so I have plenty of time to change my mind but I hear good things. What makes you say the Mark 23 is your favorite? Any specific reason?

The history of it and how it came about. The design and being able to shoot. 45 super out of it. The history is the main thing. It was designed for the navy testing program and combat initiative in the late 80's.

Its where the USP45 came from and side by side theres no compairson. The MK23 is a goliath internally.

Ran me 2 grand but it was soemthing I wanted for a while.

• Like 4

Lol at licensed.

Anyways, there's a ridiculous amount of folks on here that don't like guns, but I'm one that does and always have. I carry all the time, usually my Glock 27. Currently own about 15 but I've traded and sold many more. Worked in a gun shop while in college.

Couple weeks ago got a Sig P226 Legion in single action only and it is AWESOME to shoot. My gf just did a training class with me a few weeks ago and did very well with her Sig 250

I have a bunch of P226 and 220s.

Great guns

• Like 3

And just let me clarify that when I use the term "gun nut" I'm not using it in a negative way. I'm just using it to say that someone is really into guns

• Like 2

Big papa pump!?

thought I better post a legit gun, m8
  • Like 3

Right now I have a savage .270 with a Nikon scope, a Winchester 1300 12 gauge, and a Winchester model 94 John Wayne commemorative lever action. I'm thinking of buying either a Winchester super X 3 or benelli super black eagle 2 next.

• Like 5

I live in an open carry state, no license required except ccw for concealed.

I have a good little collection,just went out in thr desert shooting last weekend rolled out with a few fun to shoot weapons.

Lefty ar15 w/ eotech holographic sight and 40rd mags

Colt ar15 ironsight 40rd mags

.38 snubby

Ar15 pistol w/ 8" barrel

Glock19

45 acp rifle

10/22 ruger old school

.308 bolt action

10+ lbs of tannerite

I love the sound of a 308 in a desert valley surrounded by hills, the echo is

great.

Any budget shooters on here should check out the ruger precision rifle in 308 or 6.5 creedmore great rifle for around a grand for weekend fun.

• Like 1

I've got a Glock 22 and a Springfield 1911

I go shooting once or twice a month with a buddy of mine that has quite a few AR's that are really fun

I'm not a gun nut I just got them more for a SHTF scenario so I at least have something to protect my family with. I mean don't get me wrong, I really love to hit the range but I wouldn't know half of the guns the real gun nuts would mention.

I do have a **** load of ammunition though LoL pisses my wife off everytime I pick up another box

I heard ammunition is an issue in the US at the moment? Shortages? If so why is that, too many people stockpiling maybe :) ?

• Like 2

For certain calibers it is but that is mostly .22s and stuff. Consumer demand has been going up the last few years. I'm guessing because people are stockpiling.

• Like 3

By the way I envy you guys for the weapons you've posted. Damn that's some fine material. I feel like a puts with my .22 bolt action lol. Gun laws in the Netherlands are exceptionally harsh. It's takes over 3 years to become elligable for the good stuff. I'm in my second year. Next year I can get a semi auto handgun up to 9mm or higher caliber bolt action. 45 ACP or AR platform is over 2 years away for me. Shotguns, SMG or pistol caliber carbines are out of the question unless you apply for a special license which requires you to take part in certain competitions.

I'm torn between the PPQ M2 or Savage's 11 Scout for my next gun. Something about that scout rifle that tickles my jimmies.

• Like 2

I heard ammunition is an issue in the US at the moment? Shortages? If so why is that, too many people stockpiling maybe :) ?

I havent had any problems in PA at all. I cant speak for the other states. I have a cabelas and about 7 stores within 20 miles not including wally world.

Prices have evened out.

I remember whe Sandy Hook happened I was selling pmags for $70 a pop on gunbroker.

Was tempted to throw one of my colts up there and make 4k but didnt want to be a scumbag.

• Like 3

And just let me clarify that when I use the term "gun nut" I'm not using it in a negative way. I'm just using it to say that someone is really into guns

The way I look at it is, no matter if you have one or a 100, you only have two hands.

Unless you get a crotch gun like from dusk til dawn.

• Like 2

Correct LoL

I am that guy

• Like 2

For certain calibers it is but that is mostly .22s and stuff. Consumer demand has been going up the last few years. I'm guessing because people are stockpiling.

Yeah 22lr has been hard to get for a while now, my father in law is like a hoarder with that ****

• Like 1

The way I look at it is, no matter if you have one or a 100, you only have two hands.

Unless you get a crotch gun like from dusk til dawn.

Agreed

I just didn't want anybody feeling like I was saying that in a negative way

• Like 3

When i use that term i mean it like a person has a fetish for cold hard steel rubbing against their thighs and crotch and would have no problem cavity concealing. 

• Like 3

I have a bunch of P226 and 220s.

Great guns

Yep, big Sig fan here. My fave model is the 229, fits my hand the best. Had 4 at one time, now I have 3. Thinking of trading one of them for a 320. Won't get rid of my 229 Sport in .40 though!! I've also had an all stainless 220 for many years and I adore it. Had Robar do the whole thing in NP3 and a trigger job. All Sigs feel good in my hands but this is my first 226. The trigger reset is ridiculous. Like a tuned 1911 reset and I'm not kidding.

• Like 2

Here's that Savage 11 Scout I talked about earlier. I know the scout rifle concept never really caught on but personally I like it. The forward mounted low magnification scope is a love it or hate it thing though.

db7792856fbe138fd218410e8f29a2e1.jpg

• Like 2

I have a Churchill 12 gauge with the barrel almost gone. I will be upgrading to a Win or something less Japanese rather than replace the barrel. A 12 gauge with a one ounce slug will kill anything in North America outside of a Diaz

The only other gun I use is pump action single shot .22 pellet gun with a 17" barrel. The pellet reaches about 450 per sec.or something, keeping it just below the speed that defines it as a firearm. I can kill just about any small animal with it and could probably kill a large one too if I got the right shot.At 30 feet it is lethal, quiet and economical. I can hit things out to maybe 60 yards but the stopping power falls off  dramatically. 

• Like 1

Yeah I grew up shotgun slug hunting. A guy I know tripped and shot his friend in the shoulder while hunting one day. He made a full recovery but I couldn't imagine how bad that would hurt.

• Like 4

Here's that Savage 11 Scout I talked about earlier. I know the scout rifle concept never really caught on but personally I like it. The forward mounted low magnification scope is a love it or hate it thing though.

db7792856fbe138fd218410e8f29a2e1.jpg

Cool man! Savages are nice. I don't know much about the scout rifle concept, cuz I know very little about bolt guns in general. But I know it was Jeff Cooper's concept, and he was a very smart man, so I'm sure it has merit

• Like 2

Yeah I grew up shotgun slug hunting. A guy I know tripped and shot his friend in the shoulder while hunting one day. He made a full recovery but I couldn't imagine how bad that would hurt.

Getting hit with a one ounce slug from a 12 gauge will ruin your day.

Very lucky to even survive it. 

• Like 1

It was a semi auto that could be easily modified to full auto'

There is a little metal **** called a safety seer that can be depressed with a wooden match stick. Once depressed the weapon will fire until the mag is empty,

It was a military surplus assault rifle but I found it impractical because it was too heavy and got dirty really quick and prone to stoppages. 

It was also pretty much useless for hunting. It did far too much damage. 

Well got that red dot in today (Vortex Sparc II) and had a chance to test it out. After sighting it in it actually performed quite nice. This is benchrested at 50 metres (54 yds)

2drutlw.jpg

Dot itself is 2 MOA so at 50 yds it covers about an inch of your target. The higher end stuff like Aimpoint and Eotech offer 1MOA dots but those are a bit to steep to put on this thing imo. Once I get a big boy rifle I might get one of those.. For now I'm happy with this Vortex.

Here it is on my Mark II:

29dagz5.jpg

10nvxv9.jpg

• Like 1

Well got that red dot in today (Vortex Sparc II) and had a chance to test it out. After sighting it in it actually performed quite nice. This is benchrested at 50 metres (54 yds)

2drutlw.jpg

Dot itself is 2 MOA so at 50 yds it covers about an inch of your target. The higher end stuff like Aimpoint and Eotech offer 1MOA dots but those are a bit to steep to put on this thing imo. Once I get a big boy rifle I might get one of those.. For now I'm happy with this Vortex.

Here it is on my Mark II:

29dagz5.jpg

10nvxv9.jpg

Nice stuff and nice shooting! Vortexes in general have developed a solid reputation for the money. I rock aimpoints on my CQB AR15s cuz they're still unmatched on battery life and the toughness is not in doubt, but I certain rifles like yours I think the vortex is a good call for a red dot

• Like 2

Nice stuff and nice shooting! Vortexes in general have developed a solid reputation for the money. I rock aimpoints on my CQB AR15s cuz they're still unmatched on battery life and the toughness is not in doubt, but I certain rifles like yours I think the vortex is a good call for a red dot

Awesome. be sure to post some pics later I'd love to see those ARs

• Like 1

As a Brit I am not that clued up with guns etc but I will say if Conor wants to beats a guys his own size he should read this thread for some pointers on which gun he would need to do so, Sad fact though is none would help he woud need an A10, aPACHE OR AN ac130 spectre

• Like 1

Awesome. be sure to post some pics later I'd love to see those ARs

Yeah I'll eventually get around to getting a photo hosting account and posting some pics. But 99.99999% of the time I do this on the mobile version from my phone, so it'll be a while.

But my main home defense AR is a registered short barreled bushmaster lower with a Saber Defense 11.5 inch barrel, magpul moe forend, magpul CTR stock. Fixed front sight base with a surefire x300 ultra attached to it. LaRue fixed rear sight with lower 1/3 cowitnessed aimpoint ml3. Magpul ASAP receiver plate for attaching the magpul ms2 sling. Magpul windowed Pmag loaded with 75 grain Hornady TAP ammo

• Like 2

As a Brit I am not that clued up with guns etc but I will say if Conor wants to beats a guys his own size he should read this thread for some pointers on which gun he would need to do so, Sad fact though is none would help he woud need an A10, aPACHE OR AN ac130 spectre

Lmao

Cabelas was a madhouse today for a Monday. I swung in before I went to eat lunch with a friend to grab some more of the Glock 17 pmags for only 15 bones and the counters were swamped.

I usually dont buy from them as their prices are usually 50 more than local shops.

The one in PA is being bought out by bass pro shops though.

Any other cabelas having the same fate that you guys can chime in on?

• Like 1

Cabelas was a madhouse today for a Monday. I swung in before I went to eat lunch with a friend to grab some more of the Glock 17 pmags for only 15 bones and the counters were swamped.

I usually dont buy from them as their prices are usually 50 more than local shops.

The one in PA is being bought out by bass pro shops though.

Any other cabelas having the same fate that you guys can chime in on?

Not that I know of. The Cabelas by me in ND does really well so I don't see them going anywhere.