Sign in to follow this  
NetshadeX

The Gun thread

My cabelas is 20 minutes from me (right by the Cardinals stadium and Coyotes arena), and I haven't heard anything about them being bought by bass pro. We have a bass pro on the opposite side of the city, the better part of an hour from me so it wouldn't surprise me if bass pro has designs on it. I'll do some checking on that when I get a chance though, thanks for the heads up.

I won a mossberg home defense 12 gauge tonight. I think I will trade it in on a super X3 though.

Never shot one but I've heard X3s are really nice.

What was the raffle for?

Edited by IrishSemtex
  • Like 1

A local youth hockey team. They are building a new arena and use the money to make improvements to the design. They have been doing it 5 years now. My dad has an X2 and I love it so I should be happy with the 3.

• Like 2

The mark ups on guns is crazy. I just ordered the Winchester that I was looking at from one of my dad's friends who is a part time licensed dealer. He has been doing it for 20 years and isn't out to make big money since he is a rich farmer. I got the gun for $815 instead of the $1000 retail price and he still made about $100-$150 profit. Obviously as a small dealer he doesn't get the same cost as big stores either.

Well this gun is $950 at cabelas (not available online) and $999 at other stores close to me. I know he is making more than $100 profit so the math doesn't work out at 15-20%.

Winchester Super X3 12 gauge with 3.5" chamber.

You say you got it for 815 and he made 100ish. So if his dealer cost was approx 700. 700 plus 20% would be 840. Cabelas is a different animal though, they usually charge much closer to msrp which almost no normal gun dealer does, so yes, they're markup is very high. Your buddy is much more in line with what regular dealers do. You got a good deal on a sweet gun

You say you got it for 815 and he made 100ish. So if his dealer cost was approx 700. 700 plus 20% would be 840. Cabelas is a different animal though, they usually charge much closer to msrp which almost no normal gun dealer does, so yes, they're markup is very high. Your buddy is much more in line with what regular dealers do. You got a good deal on a sweet gun

I was talking mark up at the big stores. I should have specified. Since they order more they get a better price and then charge more. They are up probably marked up 40+%.

• Like 1

I was talking mark up at the big stores. I should have specified. Since they order more they get a better price and then charge more. They are up probably marked up 40+%.

Oh yeah you're definitely right. Every now and then I see a decently priced gun at cabelas and figure someone screwed up something lol.

And let's see this bad boy of yours!

Edited by IrishSemtex

Oh yeah you're definitely right. Every now and then I see a decently priced gun at cabelas and figure someone screwed up something lol.

And let's see this bad boy of yours!

I ordered it but won't have it for a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Bummer. What color?

Black synthetic. I've shot that one and the more expensive field version and I like the synthetic more. My dad also owns the super x2 in black synthetic and it's a work horse without having any failures so far.

• Like 1

Picked up my shotgun last weekend and a Savage .17 b mag for my dad. The Savage looks awesome. Then I ended up in Scheels and spent another $125+ on gun cases, slings, and other ****.

Here is a pic of the .17

Savage-BMAG-Target-Laminate-Feature.jpg

SX3

tannyoky-19993-2.jpg

SS_78826.jpg

• Like 4

Picked up my shotgun last weekend and a Savage .17 b mag for my dad. The Savage looks awesome. Then I ended up in Scheels and spent another $125+ on gun cases, slings, and other ****.

Here is a pic of the .17

Savage-BMAG-Target-Laminate-Feature.jpg

SX3

tannyoky-19993-2.jpg

SS_78826.jpg

****in sweet! I've never owned a Savage but theyre nice and have a good reputation for accuracy.

Those X3s are cool too. Are you gonna use it for hunting or clays or what?

I meant to take some "family" pics yesterday but didn't get a chance.

• Like 3

**** sweet! I've never owned a Savage but theyre nice and have a good reputation for accuracy.

Those X3s are cool too. Are you gonna use it for hunting or clays or what?

I meant to take some "family" pics yesterday but didn't get a chance.

X3 will be for clays and pheasant hunting mainly. My dad has wanted that Savage super mag for a while. I have  savage .270 for deer hunting. It's nice but doesn't hold up to other more expensive models.

• Like 2

X3 will be for clays and pheasant hunting mainly. My dad has wanted that Savage super mag for a while. I have savage .270 for deer hunting. It's nice but doesn't hold up to other more expensive models.

That's cool. I've never owned a bolt gun. What I've always heard was Savage centerfires have good accurate barrels and actions once you put a better stock on them, but don't have personal experience with them. I've handled them though and liked the accutrigger. Does yours have one of those?

• Like 1

That's cool. I've never owned a bolt gun. What I've always heard was Savage centerfires have good accurate barrels and actions once you put a better stock on them, but don't have personal experience with them. I've handled them though and liked the accutrigger. Does yours have one of those?

My .270 doesn't which sucks. I like the accutrigger as well. The .17 my dad just got does. I also love that thumbhole stock and never had used it before. It's amazing for holding the gun steady.

• Like 3

My .270 doesn't which sucks. I like the accutrigger as well. The .17 my dad just got does. I also love that thumbhole stock and never had used it before. It's amazing for holding the gun steady.

Thumb hole stocks do seem pretty sweet   I've never fired a rifle with one.

• Like 1

I'm looking to trade in my Savage bolt action .22  towards a .22 semi auto rifle. I've narrowed down the options to the Sig 522 SWAT and the S&W M&P 15-22. The SIG is an acquired taste but I read the 15-22 is pretty popular in the US. I was hoping anyone here has experience shooting the thing?

SIG SAUER 522 SWAT

JimsSig522SWAT01.jpg

S&W M&P 15-22

MP15-22_C5L_6011web.jpg

Edited by NetshadeX
  • Like 1

I'm looking to trade in my Savage bolt action .22 towards a .22 semi auto rifle. I've narrowed down the options to the Sig 522 SWAT and the S&W M&P 15-22. The SIG is an acquired taste but I read the 15-22 is pretty popular in the US. I was hoping anyone here has experience shooting the thing?

SIG SAUER 522 SWAT

JimsSig522SWAT01.jpg

S&W M&P 15-22

MP15-22_C5L_6011web.jpg

A buddy of mine has the 15-22 and it's a very sweet rifle. Haven't shot the Sig rifle but I would love to (that goes for any Sig rifle, I'm a bit fan of their hand guns and own quite a few)

• Like 1

A buddy of mine has the 15-22 and it's a very sweet rifle. Haven't shot the Sig rifle but I would love to (that goes for any Sig rifle, I'm a bit fan of their hand guns and own quite a few)

Yeah the SIG 522 is apparantly up there as one of the most reliable and well designed rimfire semi's. The two things that have me leaning towards the 15-22 are the vastly superior warranty service and availability of aftermarket stuff. The 15-22 takes a lot of regular AR15 parts like custom triggers and stocks. Out of the box the SIG is the better rifle but I read a lot of negativity regarding their service and availablity of parts.

SIG handguns are p5p. The old 210 and modern 226 to name a few.

• Like 1

Yeah the SIG 522 is apparantly up there as one of the most reliable and well designed rimfire semi's. The two things that have me leaning towards the 15-22 are the vastly superior warranty service and availability of aftermarket stuff. The 15-22 takes a lot of regular AR15 parts like custom triggers and stocks. Out of the box the SIG is the better rifle but I read a lot of negativity regarding their service and availablity of parts.

Sig handguns are awesome but they are overpriced.  I'd rather have 2 glocks that are very reliable and offer 33 round 9mm mags and 22 round .40 cal mags.  My Glock 23 sits on the nightstand with a 22 round clip plus one.  I like to know that I don't need another clip.

Everyone wants a grand for a Sig when you could buy a new full size glock and a used CC baby glock for that price.

Back to that Mosin I bought just because a co worker was in a pinch and he wasn't trying to get a grand out of his modified AR he was trying to sell his Mosin for 260.  They were selling for about 125-170 a few years back and have since gone up.  They are really damn old but it doesn't make them worth much more.  I said 200 and he countered 225 on his initial 260 request so I just said I'll have 11 20 dollar bills for you tomorrow.  It's an antique but it works.  The price with that power and a bayonet.  I not only wanted to help him out but I wanted an old gun like that.

Edited by CorporalClegg209
  • Like 1

My Glock 23 sits on the nightstand with a 22 round clip plus one.  I like to know that I don't need another clip.

22 .40cal rds, Yeah that should stop a couple of grizzly bears trying to sneak up on you at night ;)

I agree SIG tend to be overpriced, but to be honest over here in Europe so is Glock. A buddy of mine is looking at that Gen 4 17 MOS. Retails for a whopping 1000 euros / $ 1110. That's over $1100 for a 9mm 17, just because of very minor mods and that removable plate.

• Like 2

22 .40cal rds, Yeah that should stop a couple of grizzly bears trying to sneak up on you at night ;)

I agree SIG tend to be overpriced, but to be honest over here in Europe so is Glock. A buddy of mine is looking at that Gen 4 17 MOS. Retails for a whopping 1000 euros / $ 1110. That's over $1100 for a 9mm 17, just because of very minor mods and that removable plate.

Yeah **** that.  If you want a huge glock they make a 9mm, .40 cal, 45acp and I believe .357 sig with 5.33 inch barrels which the full size glocks are 4.5.

Glock makes one gun and I need to look up the model because I want it modified with a 6 inch barrel and it's a .40 cal.  The only one they offer with that barrel length.

That MOS sighting is pretty dope though.  It's right there from the get go and 9mm is a solid round if it's a hollowpoint.  I could give a **** what the .40 haters that claim you need a goddamn .45 for real stopping power.  .40 cal is basically a 10mm short like a .380 acp is a 9mm short.

• Like 2

I could give a **** what the .40 haters that claim you need a goddamn .45 for real stopping power.  .40 cal is basically a 10mm short like a .380 acp is a 9mm short.

I don't believe in a .45 fired from a pistol. Too much muzzle jump and reduced ammo cap. In shtf scenarios where fine motorskills and pin point accuracy are out the door, I'll take a 9mm over a .45 any day.

I'll even come out and say that if I was in the attic of my house and had to work my way downstairs to safety in a home invasion scenario, I'd even take the afore mentioned SIG 522 with a 40 round clip of cci mini mags over a .45 pistol. Real talk.  

Edited by NetshadeX

Yeah **** that. If you want a huge glock they make a 9mm, .40 cal, 45acp and I believe .357 sig with 5.33 inch barrels which the full size glocks are 4.5.

Glock makes one gun and I need to look up the model because I want it modified with a 6 inch barrel and it's a .40 cal. The only one they offer with that barrel length.

That MOS sighting is pretty dope though. It's right there from the get go and 9mm is a solid round if it's a hollowpoint. I could give a **** what the .40 haters that claim you need a goddamn .45 for real stopping power. .40 cal is basically a 10mm short like a .380 acp is a 9mm short.

The Glock .40 with a 5+ inch barrel is a glock 35 (34 in 9mm) which is on my nightstand with a 22 round magazine (not clips boys). The Glock 40 with a 6ish inch barrel is a glock 24 (17L in 9mm).

Those sig models are more expensive than glocks but if you want an apples to apples comparison look at the Sig P320. It's at the same price point as a glock and a better gun in most ways, including trigger, grip options, and the modularity is off the charts. I strongly prefer it to glocks and I'm in the process of transitioning to it for an EDC gun to replace my Glock 27. The only real drawback IMO is there aren't any super high cap mags for it like the glock. So my Glock 35 with 22 round mag will stay my nightstand gun for the time being. The P320 currently has a max capacity of 14 for .40 cal, which is fine for carrying, but I prefer more for nightstand. But they do offer a 21 round mag in 9mm, which I have a couple of. Not bad but you can get a factory 33 round mag for the Glock 9mm

• Like 1

Yeah the reasons you named are why my buddy has the 15-22 and why I'd like to get one. For guys like us who have AR15s for home defense weapons it provides a cheap way to practice with a reasonable facsimile of our weapons with an identical manual of arms.

I would LOVE to someday own a Sig 210 but that will never happen, so I'd settle for shooting one hopefully some day. But I'm very much in love with my Sig 226 single action only Legion that I got a handful of months back. Also very fond of my all stainless steel Sig 220 in .45 (had the whole thing coated in Robars NP3 coating) and my Sig 229 Sport in .40. I've got my 2 other 229s on consignment at the gun shop I used to work at. They were my EDC and IDPA guns for several years but I've gone exclusively to lighter weight striker fired guns for defense and competition (when I get back to it) so they were getting no range time. Really digging my new Sig 320s a lot as I mentioned in my previous post, got them in compact size 9mm and 40.

• Like 1

If I want a handgun to shoot a bear t close range I will take a 45

Damn right, I actually like .45s over .40s. For some reason the recoil just seems easier to handle for me.

• Like 1