Sign in to follow this  
NetshadeX

The Gun thread

What should I get for home defense? 

Mossberg 500 JIC. Relatively cheap, reliable, simple design, easy to use, large spread, and you don't have to worry about shooting through walls.

best-home-defense-shotgun-3.jpg

• Like 5

Mossberg 500 JIC. Relatively cheap, reliable, simple design, easy to use, large spread, and you don't have to worry about shooting through walls.

But get one with a stock. That pistol grip **** is for hollywood. And practice with it. You have to actually aim with it, and it's possible to fail to load the next round if you don't completely pump it all the way back before sliding it forward. It's easy to do when you're trying to shoot it very fast. In fact no matter what you get you need to practice and train. Don't just count on the fact that you know how to proficiently handle it.

• Like 3

Damn right, I actually like .45s over .40s. For some reason the recoil just seems easier to handle for me.

It's more of a shove instead of a snap. Your opinion on the matter is a common one. I personally prefer the 40 but you're far from being alone on that.

• Like 2

Mossberg 500 JIC. Relatively cheap, reliable, simple design, easy to use, large spread, and you don't have to worry about shooting through walls.

But get one with a stock. That pistol grip **** is for hollywood. And practice with it. You have to actually aim with it, and it's possible to fail to load the next round if you don't completely pump it all the way back before sliding it forward. It's easy to do when you're trying to shoot it very fast. In fact no matter what you get you need to practice and train. Don't just count on the fact that you know how to proficiently handle it.

okay good, this seems like a starting point.  

what is something good for me or my wife to carry (she has her conceal/carry)?

• Like 2

okay good, this seems like a starting point.

what is something good for me or my wife to carry (she has her conceal/carry)?

Again, and especially with carrying in public, it's a massive responsibility and there should be a good amount of time dedicated to practice and getting formal training.

That being said, the simplest by far are revolvers in .38 special or .357 magnum (you can shoot .38 special in a .357 magnum but not vice versa. .38 is cheaper and much less recoil.) Revolvers are very dependable and low maintenance. Stick with Smith and Wesson or Taurus.

Semiautomatics have advantages over revolvers but take more training and have more parts that can go wrong. Also have to be kept cleaner and oiled more so than revolvers. But if you go this route, you can't go wrong with a polymer striker fired gun like glocks, smith and Wesson M&Ps, Springfield XDs, Sig P320 or P250. Heckler and Koch VP9 is an excellent pistol as well, but slightly big for concealed carry. I'd recommend 9mm as ammo is cheaper, has less recoil and higher capacity and is a good round if you put good defense ammo in it like Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots.

Edited by IrishSemtex
  • Like 2

Again, and especially with carrying in public, it's a massive responsibility and there should be a good amount of time dedicated to practice and getting formal training.

That being said, the simplest by far are revolvers in .38 special or .357 magnum (you can shoot .38 special in a .357 magnum but not vice versa. .38 is cheaper and much less recoil.) Revolvers are very dependable and low maintenance. Stick with Smith and Wesson or Taurus.

Semiautomatics have advantages over revolvers but take more training and have more parts that can go wrong. Also have to be kept cleaner and oiled more so than revolvers. But if you go this route, you can't go wrong with a polymer striker fired gun like glocks, smith and Wesson M&Ps, Springfield XDs, Sig P320 or P250. Heckler and Koch VP9 is an excellent pistol as well, but slightly big for concealed carry. I'd recommend 9mm as ammo is cheaper, has less recoil and higher capacity and is a good round if you put good defense ammo in it like Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots.

I've always liked the feel of a semi-auto but really would like a good revolver for exactly the reasons you mentioned. 

Wife carried a Kahr P380 before we got together.  It was her dad's so it didn't come with her when she moved in.  She hated it, said it had bad recoil and it was really hard for her to pull back the slide.  

• Like 2

I've always liked the feel of a semi-auto but really would like a good revolver for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Wife carried a Kahr P380 before we got together. It was her dad's so it didn't come with her when she moved in. She hated it, said it had bad recoil and it was really hard for her to pull back the slide.

Yeah there are definitely better options. I'm not a fan of .380 myself and I've never cared for Kahr Pistols. They're expensive and have ****ty triggers, and as you mentioned can be tough to pull the slide back for women. Good thing about revolvers is no safeties to muck with and no slide to pull back. Just make sure to dry fire in the store and make sure she can work the trigger in double action mode, as that can also be a problem with some models of revolver. The other main piece of advice I'd give is hit a range that has an assortment of handguns you can rent and try. It's a bit of upfront cost but better than buying a gun you end up not liking. Some ranges even have ladies nights where they can get free range time and handgun rental, they just buy the ammo.

• Like 2

Oh also, if you check shooting ranges in your area they sometimes offer Intro classes for free or cheap just to do some basic familiarization for novices on basic gun safety and handling of different types of firearms. Those kinds of things are invaluable. Keep in mind they MIGHT have a bias towards one manufacturer or another depending on their profit margins or partnerships, so you'll still wanna do your own research as well. But any kind of formal training is a good idea

• Like 2

Not really a handgun guy but if you want stopping power the math is pretty simple.

Actually it's not simple. Many departments including the FBI are switching back to 9mm because of the research and bullet development making it not so cut and dry.

• Like 2

I would sooner have more mass in a bullet than more power in the cartridge when I am trying to drop a large animal at close range.

Given the choice I would take a 12 gauge with a one ounce slug - but we are talking handguns, which I readily admit I know little about.

• Like 1

So much cool stuff in this thread, I really feel I was born on the wrong continent. The factory stuff is fairly easy to get but aftermarket stuff from magpull or tactical solutions is damn near impossible to come by...most (internet)retailers don't ship outside the US. It's easier to find a unicorn.

That said, here's my new plinking Buckmark. Probably available around every corner in the US but I had to wait 4 months for it. The Vortex Dot I got last year which I was very lucky to find in stock as well. I'm eyeballing a Docter nano point but if I spend anymore on man cave stuff no amount of back rubs will save me from my wife.

34g1vgg.jpg

wbpces.jpg

• Like 2

I currently have a left handed ar15 with full magpul furniture,bcm bolt.carrier group, taccon 3mr trigger assembly, eotech 529 Holographic reflex sight,.mbus iron sights, and about 80 40 rd magpul mags,2 100 rd drums, 2 160 rd drums, my wife has a colt m4 magpul furniture muddy girl finish, slide fire stock.

Pistols are my edc is a taurus 38 m85 and a taurus pt111 with 32 rd clip for my truck, glock 19,42,43,23,21 all have extended mags up to 32 rds.

Xd40 which is a p.o.s. stays in safe i hate it.

1958 browning 12 gauge 5 shot

Ruger 10/22 with 50 rd mag

Ruger 10/22 archangel with 50.rd.mag

Remington 700 308 bolt action

Recently.sold barrett 50 cal with leupold glass.for 9k us dollars.

And about 150 lbs on binary explosives for good ol boom boom fun and coyote hunting.

Theres more or less depending on what day it is, ive bought and sold at least 100 guns in the past 2 years, at 7/11s, parking lots or gun shows, its legal to do private sales here with no background checks or paperwork....merica!!!!

• Like 1

As for ammo i have most of mine tuned and made for my specific weapons by local friend with a press.

I fire only green tip 556 thru ar

And love a finely tuned 17hmr or 22 rd for small game, after all the big firepower my favorites will always be 22 or 17hmr

I won a Savage .270 rifle on a raffle about a month ago. I didn't really like the rifle so i traded it to the store for a Howa Hogue 1500. .270

Looks like this but in black not Kryptek. I put a Nikon 2.5-10x50 scope on it. Going to break it in this weekend hopefully.

wm_8625252.jpg

• Like 2

I won a Savage .270 rifle on a raffle about a month ago. I didn't really like the rifle so i traded it to the store for a Howa Hogue 1500. .270

Looks like this but in black not Kryptek. I put a Nikon 2.5-10x50 scope on it. Going to break it in this weekend hopefully.

wm_8625252.jpg

Nice! But why didn't you like the Savage?

Nice! But why didn't you like the Savage?

It was their base model so it didn't have the adjustable accutrigger. Plus I already have a savage rifle so I wanted to try something different.
  • Like 1

It was their base model so it didn't have the adjustable accutrigger. Plus I already have a savage rifle so I wanted to try something different.

Gotcha. I've only dry fired them, but those accutriggers are the ****, I would definitely want one on a Savage

• Like 1

Bump.

Got my third Colts LE6920 today. Ordered from buds Saturday and it came via UPS to my FFL this morning. I found the MPS edition to save me the hassle of changing everything on it like I did to my others.

II6Tf8eh.jpg

Edited by I_Take_Roids_m8
  • Like 3

i have over 76

I'm sorry that you're too poor to have any hobbies. Maybe someday when you grow up and have a decent paying job you will be able to have something to look forward to besides your ball and chain of a kid and wife.

• Like 1

Bump.

Got my third Colts LE6920 today. Ordered from buds Saturday and it came via UPS to my FFL this morning. I found the MPS edition to save me the hassle of changing everything on it like I did to my others.

II6Tf8eh.jpg

Here's my FDE one for reference:

e9AoS4I.jpg

And my current carry. I always hated compacts and sub compacts so I usually carry a full size USP, 92fs, or G17. It's currently my 92FS INOX:

QaOWfAd.jpg

So when you planning on invading Canada with all them guns, m8?

INVEST-IN-PRECIOUS-METAL-BUY-LEAD_MODEL.

That's awesome!

I hadn't seen this thread in a while. Roids- good call on the Magpul gear on your AR15s, I'm a fan of it myself.

I've recently gotten on the HK bandwagon. Got an awesome stainless usp compact in .40. I'm gonna convert it to a LEM trigger system, which should be arriving in the mail any minute now. It's most likely gonna be my new EDC, as I'm very fond of it. It shoots great. Order a holster in the next couple days....

• Like 1

I won a .270 Savage in a raffle a month ago. I didn't want it so I took store credit and ordered a Weatherby Vanguard H-Bar in 6.5 creedmoor. It comes with a threaded barrel so I also ordered a PVA Jet Blast Muzzle Brake. I am planning on buying a suppressor for it eventually. 

I guess Weatherby is moving from California to Wyoming so their shipping times are all screwed up so I haven't received it yet. 

• Like 2

6.5 is the hot caliber as of late, I have a 260 Remington & 7mm-08....so definitely don't need to add the Creed to my herd, essentially they're the parents of the 6.5(or at least Uncles).

I'm a Lefty so quality rifles & pistols are a challenge to secure, but manufacturers are finally adding them to the lineup....it appears only 10% of us shoot Lefty.

1 hour ago, Bwana said:

6.5 is the hot caliber as of late, I have a 260 Remington & 7mm-08....so definitely don't need to add the Creed to my herd, essentially they're the parents of the 6.5(or at least Uncles).

I'm a Lefty so quality rifles & pistols are a challenge to secure, but manufacturers are finally adding them to the lineup....it appears only 10% of us shoot Lefty.

I was considering a 260 Rem but it seemed like a variety of ammo is tough to find for them around here. I think the 6.5 is a little overrated the moment but it's a good round that I can use for deer and coyotes. 

• Like 1

The 130 grain Accubond and 140 grain Barnes are well renowned deer loads, both available in factory ammo from Midway or Cabelas.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 1:52 PM, juice64011 said:

I won a .270 Savage in a raffle a month ago. I didn't want it so I took store credit and ordered a Weatherby Vanguard H-Bar in 6.5 creedmoor. It comes with a threaded barrel so I also ordered a PVA Jet Blast Muzzle Brake. I am planning on buying a suppressor for it eventually. 

I guess Weatherby is moving from California to Wyoming so their shipping times are all screwed up so I haven't received it yet. 

I finally received the rifle after Christmas. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. 

• Like 1

I just finished a bunch on new builds, pistols & long guns...need to post them up

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, juice64011 said:

I finally received the rifle after Christmas. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. 

You're going to love it, have you settled on a cartridge yet...or do you hand load ?