Sign in to follow this  
NetshadeX

The Gun thread

I bought a XPC BB gun to start practicing proper gun grip handling & drawing skills lol. Haven't shot it yet but i will later this week.

Also been watching world champion shooter Jerry Miculek's youtube channel for tips. That man is a gun god. Fountain of knowledge & he lives in my state too. 

Here's his channel it's pretty awesome. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/MiculekDotCom/videos

Did some drawing drills & realize i need some work. Was a little awkward at first but i'm already getting the hang of drawing with proper mechanics which is something i never really practiced before. Thinking about getting a Glock 19x but IDK i'm still looking into various handguns & i'm in no rush. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, StompGrind said:

I bought a XPC BB gun to start practicing proper gun grip handling & drawing skills lol. Haven't shot it yet but i will later this week.

Also been watching world champion shooter Jerry Miculek's youtube channel for tips. That man is a gun god. Fountain of knowledge & he lives in my state too. 

Here's his channel it's pretty awesome. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/MiculekDotCom/videos

Did some drawing drills & realize i need some work. Was a little awkward at first but i'm already getting the hang of drawing with proper mechanics which is something i never really practiced before. Thinking about getting a Glock 19x but IDK i'm still looking into various handguns & i'm in no rush. 

You really have to decide how large of a "print" you're willing to put on your body(the gun showing thru your shirt or tee shirt. The smaller subcompact will hide easily, but the grip will be very small & smaller round capacity. The compact models are slightly larger, hold more rounds, still conceal easily on a man.

You have to decide if you're going IWB(inside waist band of pants) or OWB(worn on belt outside of pants). If you opt for IWB plan to buy ALL pants 2" larger in waist size, because a gun will never fit comfortably at 4:00 or 8:00 position riding inside....plan to change your wardrobe. Forget MOB carry(middle of back in butt crack), they carry nice but can't drive a car like that. Get a body shield on any holster you choose, it extends the inside of holster the length of gun to protect your skin & shirt from the serrations/slide/controls on the pistol...they will shred your skin raw in short order.

Have you compared a striker fired model vs a hammer fired model...in any brand ? Is a manual safety important to you ? Is mag capacity important to you ?

• Thanks 1

The local gun show promotion, whose contract was not renewed for, of all places,  Ft. Lauderdale's War Memorial Auditorium, got a contract for Pembroke Pines City Center, which is closer to my house.  Well, after the shootings in El Paso and Dayton the local anti-gun crowd got their jimmies rustled and told the City to cancel.  City said "sorry, no can do, we have a binding contract."  First show opened yesterday to "3 dozen protesters" and " thousands" of participants.  I've seen this promotions shows at War Memorial, and they were well done.  The next show is mid-late September, I may go just for fun.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bwana said:

You really have to decide how large of a "print" you're willing to put on your body(the gun showing thru your shirt or tee shirt. The smaller subcompact will hide easily, but the grip will be very small & smaller round capacity. The compact models are slightly larger, hold more rounds, still conceal easily on a man.

You have to decide if you're going IWB(inside waist band of pants) or OWB(worn on belt outside of pants). If you opt for IWB plan to buy ALL pants 2" larger in waist size, because a gun will never fit comfortably at 4:00 or 8:00 position riding inside....plan to change your wardrobe. Forget MOB carry(middle of back in butt crack), they carry nice but can't drive a car like that. Get a body shield on any holster you choose, it extends the inside of holster the length of gun to protect your skin & shirt from the serrations/slide/controls on the pistol...they will shred your skin raw in short order.

Have you compared a striker fired model vs a hammer fired model...in any brand ? Is a manual safety important to you ? Is mag capacity important to you ?

Thanks for advice. Yeah i realized right away after watching Jerry's stuff just how much there is to consider. I've shot guns a lot when i was younger but never carried or worked on handling & drawing skills etc. & i'm not that knowledgeable about guns in general but i definitely wanna be skilled & safe not having experience before i carry. 

OWB for sure. I don't wanna change my pants wardrobe too much. My hands are wide for my size so i was thinking smaller sub compact i'm pretty sure will feel awkward especially if my mitts are bigger overlapping the grip i won't feel as comfortable handling and shooting. Mag capacity i don't really care that much either way. I would maybe prefer a manual safety given the lack of experience & i do wanna be extra safe so i guess that rules out Glock's 19x which i don't believe has one but i'm still undecided. Striker vs. hammer same thing i guess but I don't know yet if i wanna be overly cautious with safety & have to sacrifice some efficiency. 

I'm still researching on exactly what i want and i have friend that works for a local archery and shooting range in town that i'm gonna talk to soon and go test some guns.

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StompGrind said:

Thanks for advice. Yeah i realized right away after watching Jerry's stuff just how much there is to consider. I've shot guns a lot when i was younger but never carried or worked on handling & drawing skills etc. & i'm not that knowledgeable about guns in general but i definitely wanna be skilled & safe not having experience before i carry. 

OWB for sure. I don't wanna change my pants wardrobe too much. My hands are wide for my size so i was thinking smaller sub compact i'm pretty sure will feel awkward especially if my mitts are bigger overlapping the grip i won't feel as comfortable handling and shooting. Mag capacity i don't really care that much either way. I would maybe prefer a manual safety given the lack of experience & i do wanna be extra safe so i guess that rules out Glock's 19x which i don't believe has one but i'm still undecided. Striker vs. hammer same thing i guess but I don't know yet if i wanna be overly cautious with safety & have to sacrifice some efficiency. 

I'm still researching on exactly what i want and i have friend that works for a local archery and shooting range in town that i'm gonna talk to soon and go test some guns.

Best decision you can make, is head to a local gun shop that has a range...they usually will let you shoot all of their demo guns you'd like to try, usually around $50 hour, sometimes that scrub that bill if you buy a gun from them.

Very few striker fired pistols have a safety, hammer fired generally do...sometimes ambidextrous safety(it's on both sides. Mag release button is another issue, you might want to reverse it depending on if you want to use strong /weak side hand to push it. In striker fired the Sig 365, Walther PPS are both worth a serious look, in hammer fired the great options are too long to list here...Sig, CZ, Beretta, etc...I carry a lot of different pieces, some striker and some hammer. Just remember the smaller the gun, the bigger the muzzle flip and recoil for follow up shots....when you go to the range, don't just take single shots, do double taps(bang bang)to see how the gun handles in a real crisis situation.

Remember once you fully load a poly gun, vs a steel/aluminum gun the weight is negligible....then a quality holster is a prerequisite for comfort, or you won't want to carry it. Holsters would be a whole nother fukn thread in it self  :)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Lol. Why are both me and @NoCakeForYaya browsing this thread right now?

Our American brothers relationship with guns is something that absolutely fascinates me and I'm also trying to get arguments from both sides as we obviously don't get that representation in our media.

So I regularly browse this and the politics thread lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

Our American brothers relationship with guns is something that absolutely fascinates me and I'm also trying to get arguments from both sides as we obviously don't get that representation in our media.

Ha, and I thought it was just me who had a voyeuristic fascination with this whole debate. 

As you were good sir. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Ha, and I thought it was just me who had a voyeuristic fascination with this whole debate. 

As you were good sir. 

You'll never get me commenting as I don't think I have enough objective evidence, so read on I do! 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

You'll never get me commenting as I don't think I have enough objective evidence, so read on I do! 

Something to be learned here @VertFTW

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

8 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

As you were good sir. 

Ya'll still trying to figure out if your Amerikin brothers are crazy or fun. The answer is both. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sobercuban said:

LCP II

IMG_6527_2.jpg

I toted a .380 for yrs coz of its size, eventally it broke and the mailman talked me into buyin' his .40

... they really only have one purpose, .. you know what I mean

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, NoCakeForYaya said:

If you look at every debate in America, the difference between the majority and the minority is only 5% to 10%, so whoever yells louder gets the publicity. Social media makes it even worse. I read that around 33% of Americans own guns, but I'm positive that some forum members will disagree.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 1:31 AM, classicboxer said:

If you look at every debate in America, the difference between the majority and the minority is only 5% to 10%, so whoever yells louder gets the publicity. Social media makes it even worse. I read that around 33% of Americans own guns, but I'm positive that some forum members will disagree.

33% own registered handguns sounds more apropos -