Sign in to follow this  
NetshadeX

The Gun thread

I'm between this and the Panzer...according to the gun expert in my family, the AK platform is the most reliable and easiest to use, bullpup is reliable but a little heavier and heavier trigger, and AR is not recommended for shotgun.

Screenshot_2020-01-01-15-47-32.png

Edited by SVTContour98

That's a lot of barrel to wield around in your home for self protection, shorter the better for "alley sweeping" a hallway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bwana said:

That's a lot of barrel to wield around in your home for self protection, shorter the better for "alley sweeping" a hallway.

Agreed...I'm trying to see if there are shorter barrel options

• Like 1

Just now, SVTContour98 said:

Agreed...I'm trying to see if there are shorter barrel options

Standard AR has a 16" barrel, you want it short and compact,,,,walking up to blind corners is the problem, even with a pistol you hold close and ready. Juice gave you some great suggestions for a compact budget priced option.

Just now, Bwana said:

Standard AR has a 16" barrel, you want it short and compact,,,,walking up to blind corners is the problem, even with a pistol you hold close and ready. Juice gave you some great suggestions for a compact budget priced option.

The Komrad is their short barrel option (12.5)...but its $1k+...hmm

12 hours ago, SVTContour98 said:

The Komrad is their short barrel option (12.5)...but its $1k+...hmm

the Panzer is an 18" barrel only...but b/c of the BP design, it's overall length is shorter than a normal 18" barrel.  Anyone shoot a Bullpup design before?  How does it respond compared to a non-BP?

hss-pwbp12bpr.jpg

@SVTContour98 I think you need to take into serious consideration the prime usage of the weapon, is this strictly for home defense or just going to the range and busting some ammo loose ?

The suggested guns are all great choices in the right individual situation, but they are intended as a very specialized close quarters combat weapon....intended for multiple bad guys, utilizing maximum firepower to eliminate threats. Yes they have a cool factor, yes they serve the offensive purpose very well...but is that right for you ?

1) Remember this will need to be securely locked up while you're not home, and also easily accessible while sleeping at night. It must be kept locked/loaded and ready to rock. They make closet locking systems, but that can be a task half asleep and bad guys coming down your hall. Adding a quality safe to your space may not be in your budget, and adds another layer of chaos to a threatening situation.

2) Do you live alone ?, if you're not home can your significant other handle the weapon confidently and comfortably ?

3) Do you need 10 x 12 gauge shots in your home to secure your safety ?, most bad guys will be running for their lives after the first shot in the dark...2 feet of flame with a BIG BOOM does wonders to curb someone's "bravery" to enter your home uninvited.

4) The weapon will have to be safely locked 24 hrs a day, or you'll come home to the bad guy pointing your gun at you. Fast acquisition and easy safe deployment, along with controlling the firepower will serve home protection the best.

These are questions that only you can answer, you need to assess your needs and potential threat plan. Just like a house fire scenario, you plan ahead for the worst...hoping it never happens, but have a fkn plan that everyone in the home can initiate without hesitation.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bwana said:

@SVTContour98 I think you need to take into serious consideration the prime usage of the weapon, is this strictly for home defense or just going to the range and busting some ammo loose ?

The suggested guns are all great choices in the right individual situation, but they are intended as a very specialized close quarters combat weapon....intended for multiple bad guys, utilizing maximum firepower to eliminate threats. Yes they have a cool factor, yes they serve the offensive purpose very well...but is that right for you ?

1) Remember this will need to be securely locked up while you're not home, and also easily accessible while sleeping at night. It must be kept locked/loaded and ready to rock. They make closet locking systems, but that can be a task half asleep and bad guys coming down your hall. Adding a quality safe to your space may not be in your budget, and adds another layer of chaos to a threatening situation.

2) Do you live alone ?, if you're not home can your significant other handle the weapon confidently and comfortably ?

3) Do you need 10 x 12 gauge shots in your home to secure your safety ?, most bad guys will be running for their lives after the first shot in the dark...2 feet of flame with a BIG BOOM does wonders to curb someone's "bravery" to enter your home uninvited.

4) The weapon will have to be safely locked 24 hrs a day, or you'll come home to the bad guy pointing your gun at you. Fast acquisition and easy safe deployment, along with controlling the firepower will serve home protection the best.

These are questions that only you can answer, you need to assess your needs and potential threat plan. Just like a house fire scenario, you plan ahead for the worst...hoping it never happens, but have a fkn plan that everyone in the home can initiate without hesitation.

i greatly appreciate your post...awesome stuff man...thank you

I do have a safe where things are secure...House is full of little kids and my wife...prob do not "need" this weapon (have an AR-15, 12 gauge pump short barrel, handgun)...but was just interested in something more efficient in the shotgun application for home defense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SVTContour98 said:

i greatly appreciate your post...awesome stuff man...thank you

I do have a safe where things are secure...House is full of little kids and my wife...prob do not "need" this weapon (have an AR-15, 12 gauge pump short barrel, handgun)...but was just interested in something more efficient in the shotgun application for home defense.

Then in my honest opinion, you'd be far better served with a different platform to protect your family and castle. There are many great options today in laser sights & flashlight activated handgun selections. You can illuminate your subject(making sure it's not a child going to the bathroom), squeeze the grip and place a laser dot on the bad guy and accurately fire without the potential of a tragic accident...also making sure the caliber is something your wife can handle. The last thing you want is for your wife to be more afraid of the gun, than the bad guy....or hesitate in a life threatening situation because she's not absolutely sure it's not one of the children stumbling around in the kitchen looking for a snack.

Illuminating the subject, while blinding them at the same time...gives you time to assess the threat/or child, before confidently making the correct decision of action. The laser dot significantly helps in stressful situations, and is very easy for newbie shooters half asleep to stop the threat in his tracks.

I know you said you have a pistol, but I'd look at a sole purpose piece for home protection, that covers more bases than the average stock pistol....your firepower will increase(14-17 rounds), illumination capability, laser acquisition, family safety from accidental identification, and the wife can handle the  weapon confidently.

Remember: Always secure 2 solid body hits to zombies, shoot to kill, they will sue you if they live...and dead men tell no lies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bwana said:

Then in my honest opinion, you'd be far better served with a different platform to protect your family and castle. There are many great options today in laser sights & flashlight activated handgun selections. You can illuminate your subject(making sure it's not a child going to the bathroom), squeeze the grip and place a laser dot on the bad guy and accurately fire without the potential of a tragic accident...also making sure the caliber is something your wife can handle. The last thing you want is for your wife to be more afraid of the gun, than the bad guy....or hesitate in a life threatening situation because she's not absolutely sure it's not one of the children stumbling around in the kitchen looking for a snack.

Illuminating the subject, while blinding them at the same time...gives you time to assess the threat/or child, before confidently making the correct decision of action. The laser dot significantly helps in stressful situations, and is very easy for newbie shooters half asleep to stop the threat in his tracks.

I know you said you have a pistol, but I'd look at a sole purpose piece for home protection, that covers more bases than the average stock pistol....your firepower will increase(14-17 rounds), illumination capability, laser acquisition, family safety from accidental identification, and the wife can handle the  weapon confidently.

Remember: Always secure 2 solid body hits to zombies, shoot to kill, they will sue you if they live...and dead men tell no lies.

I'm very much open to all suggestions!  I'd love to hear some recommendations (make/models)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SVTContour98 said:

I'm very much open to all suggestions!  I'd love to hear some recommendations (make/models)

There are many great choices on today's market, and you certainly want a semi with a rail for the accessories needed. It will be a sole purpose home defense weapon, not a piece you would EDC around in your waistband...a bit bulkier but worth it in every way. I'd consider a quality nightstand locking pistol case, it's about the size of a hardback book....it's within arms reach, easy to access, safely locked from the children, better than trying to get a safe open at 3:30am in the dark.

Has your wife fired and pistols ?, what caliber is she comfortable with ?....only then can solid model choices be looked at.

PS: I'm running out of the house now, will get back to you later...other members are more than welcome to join in the conversation.

12 minutes ago, Bwana said:

There are many great choices on today's market, and you certainly want a semi with a rail for the accessories needed. It will be a sole purpose home defense weapon, not a piece you would EDC around in your waistband...a bit bulkier but worth it in every way. I'd consider a quality nightstand locking pistol case, it's about the size of a hardback book....it's within arms reach, easy to access, safely locked from the children, better than trying to get a safe open at 3:30am in the dark.

Has your wife fired and pistols ?, what caliber is she comfortable with ?....only then can solid model choices be looked at.

PS: I'm running out of the house now, will get back to you later...other members are more than welcome to join in the conversation.

thanks, no rush.

wife can't shoot...never has...no time to learn at the moment...she can't even cook or drive either.

@SVTContour98 I'd look into a draco pistol to be honest. People cry about OvErPeNeTrAtIoN when a 12g can go through numerous walls and doors with a single shot. 

As far as handguns go, I rock either a HK Mark 23 or a Hk USP45 tactical. I do have them suppressed but that's only because I dont want to fumble with ear plugs and chit like that. 

There's so many good handguns on the market today.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

@SVTContour98 I'd look into a draco pistol to be honest. People cry about OvErPeNeTrAtIoN when a 12g can go through numerous walls and doors with a single shot. 

As far as handguns go, I rock either a HK Mark 23 or a Hk USP45 tactical. I do have them suppressed but that's only because I dont want to fumble with ear plugs and chit like that. 

There's so many good handguns on the market today.

great, thank you...I'll add them to my list to research.

Next up, ACR. 

It's been a gun that I've been interested in for a while but put It on the back burner numerous times. Since i already have the SCAR 16 and 17, I think it's time. 

I just have to decide if I want the basic or enhanced model. I dont know if an annoying quadrail and foldable stock is worth an extra $350. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bezerker101 said:

Remington .44 Magnum-

96671_1.jpg

Something about the look of older style guns that really get me. Things like this and below are things of beauty 

Image result for 1873 repeating rifle"Image result for colt 1851 navy revolver engraved"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Something about the look of older style guns that really get me. Things like this and below are things of beauty 

Image result for 1873 repeating rifle"Image result for colt 1851 navy revolver engraved"

I still watch the old cowboy tv shows :

Wanted Dead or Alive (Steve McQueen)-

Have Gun Will Travel

The Rifleman

The Sons of Will Sonnett

Gunsmoke

High Chaparral

Big Valley

• Like 1

Would have been one hell of a view (and a racket) I imagine firing the guns in this thing. Think its from a B-17 but not completely sure. 

No photo description available.

19 hours ago, Bezerker101 said:

I still watch the old cowboy tv shows :

Wanted Dead or Alive (Steve McQueen)-

Have Gun Will Travel

The Rifleman

The Sons of Will Sonnett

Gunsmoke

High Chaparral

Big Valley

I think the fact I have been playing Read Dead 2 has me romanticizing that time period a bit as well. 

17 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Would have been one hell of a view (and a racket) I imagine firing the guns in this thing. Think its from a B-17 but not completely sure. 

... good call M8 ^

image.png.4d67404261568b31b5221c5fbf1858b1.png