Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Boxing Thread: Canelo Alvarez signs record-breaking $365 million deal with DAZN

Just read Nigel Benn and Steve Collins are planning a trilogy fight.  

• Like 2

Manny Pacquiao got beat up last night by a scrub. He was just terrible and at 38 if he gets into the ring again his handlers should be jailed.

Its over for Pacman. He is not a Mayweather type defensive fighter who can skate by. He is probably the greatest attacking two handed fighter of the last 50 years and his performance last night was heart breaking to watch. 

I know everyone can have an off night but this was beyond bad. He was lost out there. 

This is a guy Manny should have gotten out of there in 5 or 6 rounds easily. 

Horn whooped pacman, he would of droped manny if the bell didnt ring with 8 seconds left

The ref threatened Horn's corner after the 9th rd with stopping the fight if he didn't show something lol,

... if you lived here in the Philippines, you would have seen this coming from a mile away . His camp

accepted a match in Horn's backyard in front of 50,000 Aussies . Horn is a puncher, the 1st one Pac

has faced since he was ko'd by Marquez & Horn has also never fought outside of Australia .

Pac said he caught a cold after landing in Australia & said he would rematch Horn in Brisbane as per

contract clause, Roach said maybe not . Horn was 6-1 here in the Philippines -

Edited by Bezerker101

Having watched the recent discussion on Conor- Mayweather,i think was an ESPN but not sure,i have some serious doubts about boxing sanity.

The so called ultimate boxing expert,actually two of them on two different shows gives Conor zero chance.One guy actually made sense and said on paper Conor has no chance but with a punchers chance there is always a 1% chance.

The part that bothered me was when they both went on and on about boxing being totally different than MMA "which i agree totally",they both went and talked about statistics ..lmao.Well obviously Conor's stats are from MMA and NOT boxing so might as well talk about tiddly winks.

So these two so called ultimate boxing experts dismiss all that is MMA but went ahead and used those mma stats to justify Mayweathers dominance.

they were talking about how many strikes Conor throws per round,tendencies on being the initiator or the counter striker and so on and so on.One simple FACT,you cannot strike with caution to the wind in MMA because those small gloves means you can be KO'd in a second,while in boxing with pillow fists you can make tons of mistakes and still go on to win the fight.

Point being boxing experts have little intelligence,likely because they were once boxers and have taken too much head damage or are incredibly biased towards boxing.The one expert stated that giving Conor any chance is an insult to boxing.Well so then on the Vegas odds we would expect a 999-1 shot?I fully doubt it because they would never give those kinds of odds no matter how much betting goes on because they know anything can happen,humans are not invincible.

Boxing has run it's course and was always only relevant because of safety regulations.Now that MMA  has arrived,there is no comparison,glove size alone means MMA fighters come to fight with danger,boxers look to come and score points.Look no further than the Horn-Manny fight,Horn was throwing bombs most of the fight but there was never any danger of knocking out Manny,pillow fists are just too lame in the year 2017.

Having watched the recent discussion on Conor- Mayweather,i think was an ESPN but not sure,i have some serious doubts about boxing sanity.

The so called ultimate boxing expert,actually two of them on two different shows gives Conor zero chance.One guy actually made sense and said on paper Conor has no chance but with a punchers chance there is always a 1% chance.

The part that bothered me was when they both went on and on about boxing being totally different than MMA "which i agree totally",they both went and talked about statistics ..lmao.Well obviously Conor's stats are from MMA and NOT boxing so might as well talk about tiddly winks.

So these two so called ultimate boxing experts dismiss all that is MMA but went ahead and used those mma stats to justify Mayweathers dominance.

they were talking about how many strikes Conor throws per round,tendencies on being the initiator or the counter striker and so on and so on.One simple FACT,you cannot strike with caution to the wind in MMA because those small gloves means you can be KO'd in a second,while in boxing with pillow fists you can make tons of mistakes and still go on to win the fight.

Point being boxing experts have little intelligence,likely because they were once boxers and have taken too much head damage or are incredibly biased towards boxing.The one expert stated that giving Conor any chance is an insult to boxing.Well so then on the Vegas odds we would expect a 999-1 shot?I fully doubt it because they would never give those kinds of odds no matter how much betting goes on because they know anything can happen,humans are not invincible.

Boxing has run it's course and was always only relevant because of safety regulations.Now that MMA  has arrived,there is no comparison,glove size alone means MMA fighters come to fight with danger,boxers look to come and score points.Look no further than the Horn-Manny fight,Horn was throwing bombs most of the fight but there was never any danger of knocking out Manny,pillow fists are just too lame in the year 2017.

Who were the "experts"? Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman? Idiot!

• Like 2

GGG and Lomanchenko are my current favorites. I love that style of what Jack Slack refers to as "The lost art of Shifting". When i used to box i studied Bruce Lee and Jack Dempsey a lot and i was actually pretty good at that fencing type footwork potshot and darting game outside then on the inside constantly flowing stance switching, varying fast/slow & light snappy/hard crisp power shots in combination while switching stances and obtaining dominant angles to tee off with less threat of counters.

It confuses the hell out people with the range, timing and allows you to gain positional angles of dominance that aid both offense and defense. If you have good awareness of position, distance & have decent speed, great timing plus you're good with broken rhythm changing beats varying angles, strokes and speed constantly you can really deceive people and throw even more seasoned people off their game. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0URyks4LnBI

• Like 2

The so called ultimate boxing expert,actually two of them on two different shows gives Conor zero chance.

thats only because they aren't allowed to give him less than zero.

• Like 1

This is inevitably what happens when you start scouting for young inexperienced opponents that a 38yr old part-time,

no-power relic can beat . If you're going to play that ridiculous game for whatever inane reason, you don't pick an

undefeated 29yr old puncher with a good chin that nobody has heard of & then fight him in his backyard in front of

50,000 of his fellow countrymen . How ****ing stupid is that ?  ...... Hello ?

• Like 3

Not sure what all the controversy is over the Pacquao D. It was a close fight that could have gone either way. It all depends on how you rate the punches being thrown. Pacman outlanded him by a ton but only hurt him one time. Horn hurt Manny a number of times. **** =he had him backed up against the ropes in the first ****ing round. It was not as big a robbery as the Bradley fight.

Now the Phillipine government wants it reviewed and MAnny is going along with that.

The was his 68th fight.

If he keeps fighting he is going to get badly hurt and for what? His days as a phenom are over. 

Not sure what all the controversy is over the Pacquao D. It was a close fight that could have gone either way. It all depends on how you rate the punches being thrown. Pacman outlanded him by a ton but only hurt him one time. Horn hurt Manny a number of times. **** =he had him backed up against the ropes in the first **** round. It was not as big a robbery as the Bradley fight.

Now the Phillipine government wants it reviewed and MAnny is going along with that.

The was his 68th fight.

If he keeps fighting he is going to get badly hurt and for what? His days as a phenom are over. 

I haven't seen the fight but im struggling to find an article that thinks Horn one.

Conesus seems to be the judges screwed up on this one.

WBO caved to Mannys camp and the Philippine government and agreed to rescore the fight with anonymous judges with the sound turned off so as not to be swayed by Teddy Atlas relentless sloppy fellating of Manny to settle this dispute, even though the decision could not be overturned. Well the results are in and final, Horn wins the fight 7 rounds to Mannys 5

http://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing/manny-pacquiao-jeff-horn-rescore-results-wbo-title-fight-review-still-has-aussie-winning-over-legend/news-story/5e166c90e74ee901c0b97c0e5044967e

• Like 2

I haven't seen the fight but im struggling to find an article that thinks Horn one.

Conesus seems to be the judges screwed up on this one.

i might have given it to manny but its hardly even the point.

I always thought Manny was over rated tbh. He's fast and athletic but not really a bruiser or outstanding technically.

He's not really a defensive counter fighter, he's not a vicious inside fighter and he's not witty enough to tactically box someone's eyes off outside. His punching style is mostly straights but they're short and midgety. lol

What is he actually outstanding at? What attributes does he have that are so special? 

He just moves around a little and blitzes usually not even from a dominant angle rinse repeat. He only gets away with it for this long because he's very fast or used to be. He's mostly relied on out classing people with speed, a little broken rhythm and timing. 

Don't get me wrong he's better than many but best boxer in the last 50 yrs give me a fooking break. He ain't even top ten. 

MAnny's main thing is that he is a two handed fighter and throws lots of volume. He is simply all attack all the time.

That's exactly why i think he's over rated. He relies on speed and athletic attributes over wit and skill.

Half the time he just bounces around like a tard wasting energy. He doesn't understand economy of motion, no wasted effort or picking his shots and setting people up with variety of range and speed. He's got one gear and if he wasn't so fast he'd get stretched by many fighters. 

Whenever people brought up him being p4p i just laughed. He's not the elite of the elite when it comes to skill and wit which is exactly what p4p means. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Manny's boxing style. 

Hop around like a bunny...blap.blap.blap...hop around like a bunny...blap.blap.blap...rinse repeat. He's not versatile at all. He's one dimensional style wise. He's good at it though. 

If he actually did blap.blap..changed angles or broke rhythm more mixing in light distraction set-ups followed by hards and still blending in hard and light shots, slower and faster during combinations being unpredictable to time those gaps he'd have a lot more success just absolutely crushing people. Even if he just varied his speed and mixed it up more on the inside more he'd be a much more dangerous fighter. 

He can tool all the top guys with bunny hop blitz and speed alone. I'm not saying he's not elite but elite of the elite...nah son. There's dozens of boxers even in the last decade that are better than him. 

• Like 1

6 world titles from 112 to 154 lbs.

and as soon as he started to slow down ( cough cough stop taking PED's to fight Floyd ) he got stretched and hasn't been the same since. 

Floyd, Andre Ward, Sugar Shane, Bernard, Roy Jones, GGG, Lomachenko, Joe Calzaghe, James Toney, Marquez, Kostya Tszyu...all better boxers than Manny. 

• Like 2

and as soon as he started to slow down ( cough cough stop taking PED's to fight Floyd ) he got stretched and hasn't been the same since. 

Floyd, Andre Ward, Sugar Shane, Bernard, Roy Jones, GGG, Lomachenko, Joe Calzaghe, James Toney, Marquez, Kostya Tszyu...all better boxers than Manny. 

I always thought he was still juiced when Marquez knocked him out. Marquez ruined him, not Floyd.

• Like 2

Marquez got out boxed for30 rounds until he landed a lucky punch.

He went on to win a grand total of 1 fight after that.

Marquez absolutely dominated Manny in their first fight, from round 3 to round 12, one of the worst decisions ever.

• Like 1

Style wise i can teach a good amateur with a little speed and coordination to do what Manny does in 8-12 months. Not to his level of course but still. He's basic and one dimensional AF. 

He's a sound volume puncher with speed but not heavy handed. His defense is his footwork and offensive speed but his combinations have pretty much the same cadence. If he changed that, varied his speed to time defense/retreat and used his combinations to change angles and had the head movement to make counters miss then re-counter the counter he could press inside mixing it up and he'd be knocking people out left and right in devastating fashion. 

There's basically three ranges in boxing.

1. Long stroking outside

2. Banging in the pocket

3. Balls deep and grimey. 

Manny is on great blitzing to get in the pocket to make people cover the throwing a quick little barrage in the pocket then he resets. He not's good enough defensively to counter very effectively either outside or inside. 

There's basically three positional angles. 

1.Dead on straight ahead like a fencer. 

2. Dominant angle on the weak side. 

3. Slightly less dominant angle on the strong side. 

Manny is mostly dead on straight ahead but sometimes he can get someone to cover then find an angle on the weak side. It's rare he gets dominant angles. He's mostly linear. Dart in bap.bap.bap get get out. 

There's basically three rhythms. 

1. Bap.Bap.Bap

2. Bap.....Bap.Bap

3. Bap.Bap.....Bap

He rarely uses the last two. It's almost always Bap.Bap.Bap...why? Because again his he can't retain the range where he'd hurt fools because his defense sucks so he can't stay there make them miss make them pay big time. 

Manny is an outside fighter that blitzes to get in the pocket and overwhelm but once there if he doesn't really tag someone on the Blitz he can't control that range because defensively he's not good enough to stay there and offensively he's very linear which is why he's so flutter foot footwork and speed volume puncher focused. No defensive tactics meaning he can't control range in the pocket or inside for long where he could actually do some damage.  

He's great at what he does but there isn't much else there and there's many flaws to that style. 

Quick somebody send this to Freddie Roach. lol

• Like 1

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Chris Eubank Jr retained his IBO world super-middleweight title by beating former two-weight world champion Arthur Abraham with a unanimous points win.

Eubank dominated on route to a unanimous decision victory, the judges scoring it 118-110, 118-110 and 120-108 at Wembley Arena.

It was only the sixth defeat of Abraham's 52-fight career.

Eubank Jr will now take part in the inaugural World Boxing Super Series - an eight-man tournament featuring some of the biggest names in the division.

WBA champion George Groves and fellow Britons Callum Smith and Jamie Cox are also in the competition, which has a $50m (£38m) prize fund.

Eubank Jr will fight Turkey's Avni Yildirim in the Super Series quarter-finals in the autumn, with semi-finals in January and a May final in a tournament which organisers say will "change the world of boxing."

selby-barros.jpg

On the undercard, Wales' Lee Selby retained his IBF world featherweight title with a unanimous points win over Argentina's Jonathan Victor Barros.

Selby, 30, knocked the Argentine down in the last round before getting a wide verdict, with one judge scoring it 119-108 and two marking it as 117-110.

Former WBA champion Carl Frampton, who was ringside, remains a possible opponent for Selby's fourth title defence.

"He probably fancies it now, it's a fight I'd love, and all the British fans will love," said Selby.

Marquez got out boxed for30 rounds until he landed a lucky punch.

He went on to win a grand total of 1 fight after that.

Damn, your boxing insight is just as bad as your politics.

JMM clearly dominated more rounds in the first fight

Most thought he won the second (the bonus point for Pac with the knockdown being the difference)

The third was a close bore

In the fourth fight JMM floored Manny twice with the exact same lucky punch

• Like 1

adrien-broner-boxing-fighter_3441302.jpg

Adrien Broner has vowed "to put on a show" against Mikey Garcia and insisted he does not care about being dubbed as the underdog ahead of their New York clash.

Broner - a four-weight world champion - also insisted he will have no trouble making the 140-pound limit, despite having missed weight for a previous fight against Britain's Ashley Theophane.

A clause in the fight contract means Broner would be fined $500,000 if he fails to make weight.

"I feel great," Broner said. "I weighed in at 144 pounds this morning and I could make weight tomorrow if I wanted to.

"Now I've got a reason to make 140. Plus, I am not giving nobody a half-a-million dollars. But I'm just cruising, man. I'm just ready to put on a show.

"I don't care about being an underdog. I don't make my money off that."

Broner will have it all to do as he goes up against the undefeated 36-0 (30 knockouts) Mikey Garcia.

• Like 1

adrien-broner-boxing-fighter_3441302.jpg

Adrien Broner has vowed "to put on a show" against Mikey Garcia and insisted he does not care about being dubbed as the underdog ahead of their New York clash.

Broner - a four-weight world champion - also insisted he will have no trouble making the 140-pound limit, despite having missed weight for a previous fight against Britain's Ashley Theophane.

A clause in the fight contract means Broner would be fined $500,000 if he fails to make weight.

"I feel great," Broner said. "I weighed in at 144 pounds this morning and I could make weight tomorrow if I wanted to.

"Now I've got a reason to make 140. Plus, I am not giving nobody a half-a-million dollars. But I'm just cruising, man. I'm just ready to put on a show.

"I don't care about being an underdog. I don't make my money off that."

Broner will have it all to do as he goes up against the undefeated 36-0 (30 knockouts) Mikey Garcia.

Bet on Garcia.

Former heavyweight champion Tyson Fury announces retirement

skysports-tyson-fury-tyson-fury-boxing-h

Former world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury appeared to announce his retirement on Wednesday.

The 28-year-old has made similar announcements previously, announcing last October that he had quit the sport, which he described as "the saddest thing I ever took part in".

This time, Fury wrote on Instagram: "been very blessed in my life & career achieve the upmost in boxing, was a epic journey along the way. Thanks to all the fans that supported & believed in me along the way.

"Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. THE END."

He overachieved beating Wlad, even at this stage in his career. Things were only going to get worse from here.

I expect he'll announce his return next year when his pikey **** can't afford the upkeep on his trailer

• Like 1

What's Next For Broner & Garcia

garcia-broner-fight%20(53).jpg

Mikey Garcia once again showed his class and talent in dominating Adrien Broner. The unbeaten star who has won titles at three different weights looked great fighting as a 140-pounder. Broner, who once again promised so much, failed to deliver. But this was largely down to the simple fact that Garcia, now 37-0(30) didn’t allow Broner to do much of anything apart from talk (both before, during and even after the fight).

Garcia

“Anybody that wants to come join us on Showtime, give us a call,” Garcia said after beating up Broner. “We are ready for anybody. Maybe I’ll go down to 135, stay at 140, or go up to 147.”

There are some potentially sizzling match-ups that could be made at either weight. At lightweight, the idea of Garcia matching his considerable talents against the considerable talents of Vasyl Lomachenko or Jorge Linares makes fans shiver with excitement, while Garcia against the likes of the Terence Crawford-Julius Indongo winner, and/or top welterweights such as Keith Thurman and Errol Spence Junior would also be sensational.

Broner

After losing for the third time in his career, Broner vowed to come back and win another belt, but his defiance doesn’t look like it will be matched with actions. Even with Broner's bombastic heelish persona he may struggle to get an elite level opponent for his next fight.

There are a lot of theories as to why Broner isn't better than he is. Common ones are that he doesn't live a spartan lifestyle, and as such isn't in the best condition he could be, or that he isn't as focused as his opponent. Others suggest he believes too much in his own power, and spends too much time waiting and looking for a perfect shot.

Potential previously talked about fights with Amir Khan or Jeff Horn look likely the best options for Broners next fight.

20604732_1427556110613658_78099383114968

Former heavyweight world champion Wladimir Klitschko has retired from boxing - ruling out a rematch with Britain's Anthony Joshua.

The Germany-based fighter announced his retirement on a video posted on his website, with so many people trying to access it that the server crashed.

"I have achieved everything I dreamed of, and now I want to start my second career after sports," said Klitschko.

In his video statement, Klitschko said: "Twenty-seven years ago I started my journey in sport. It was the best choice of a profession I could have made. Because of this choice I have travelled the world, learned new languages, created business, built intellectual properties, helped people in need.

"At some point in our lives we need to switch our careers and get ourselves ready for the next chapter - obviously I am not an exception to this.

"I am expecting and hoping my next career, which I have already been planning and working on for some years, will be at least as successful as the previous one, if not more successful."

One of the greatest heavyweights of all time enjoy you retirement.

• Like 1

20604732_1427556110613658_78099383114968

Former heavyweight world champion Wladimir Klitschko has retired from boxing - ruling out a rematch with Britain's Anthony Joshua.

The Germany-based fighter announced his retirement on a video posted on his website, with so many people trying to access it that the server crashed.

"I have achieved everything I dreamed of, and now I want to start my second career after sports," said Klitschko.

In his video statement, Klitschko said: "Twenty-seven years ago I started my journey in sport. It was the best choice of a profession I could have made. Because of this choice I have travelled the world, learned new languages, created business, built intellectual properties, helped people in need.

"At some point in our lives we need to switch our careers and get ourselves ready for the next chapter - obviously I am not an exception to this.

"I am expecting and hoping my next career, which I have already been planning and working on for some years, will be at least as successful as the previous one, if not more successful."

One of the greatest heavyweights of all time enjoy you retirement.

Smart enough to know he can't beat Joshua.

Glad to see Klit retire.  He's done well, but looks like Fury and Joshua would beat him in rematches.

Have heard also that Fury isn't going to fight again.  HW division suddenly looks kind of thin again.  Will Wilder and Joshua ever fight??

• Like 1

Anthony Joshua: British heavyweight ordered to defend WBA title against Luis Ortiz and his IBF title against Kubrat Pulev

_97204359_aj.jpg

British heavyweight Anthony Joshua has been ordered by the WBA to defend his title against Cuba's Luis Ortiz (27-0 23KO).

The WBA says Joshua and Ortiz have 30 days from 3 August to agree the fight.

Joshua, who beat Klitschko at Wembley in April, has also been told he must face IBF mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev (25-1 13KO) before 2 December or risk being stripped of his belt.

Joshua holds two of the four major belts, with New Zealand's Joseph Parker the WBO champion, while American Deontay Wilder has the WBC belt.

Edited by Jolldan

Glad to see Klit retire.  He's done well, but looks like Fury and Joshua would beat him in rematches.

Have heard also that Fury isn't going to fight again.  HW division suddenly looks kind of thin again.  Will Wilder and Joshua ever fight??

Yeah I don't think he heart was really in it for a rematch he's seen it all done it all likely wont have the same fire anymore.

Fury's done, he has only himself to blame got himself in to appalling shape and I really just think he cant find the drive to get back in shape now.

Depending how deep you are in to it there are plenty.

Wilder is the real big question just now.

Parker is a close second both guys have undefeated record and world titles like Joshua. He's actually fighting Fury's cousin soon.

Ortiz is another undefeated guy and Cuban boxers are pretty much always exciting to watch.

Guys like Pulev & Povetkin could be good fight for Joshua as well because they are more technical guys.

• Like 1

Joshua & Wilder Move Closer To A Heavyweight Unification Fight

Anthony Joshua to face Kubrat Pulev on October 28 to defend IBF heavyweight title

Anthony Joshua will face Kubrat Pulev in his next world heavyweight title defence on October 28 at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium.

Joshua has been ordered by the IBF to face mandatory challenger Pulev after a rematch with Wladimir Klitschko fell through when the former champ retired.

Pulev, 36, is the IBF’s No 1 challenger and the Bulgarian has only lost once to Klitschko in 26 pro fights.

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn knows Pulev will be a tough sell after the champ unified the IBF and WBA Super titles in his epic win over Klitschko in front of a record 90,000 crowd at Wembley.

Hearn hopes fighting under the closed roof of the Principality Stadium, where Joe Calzaghe beat Mikkel Kessler in front of over 50,000 people in 2007, will give the fight interest.

Joshua, 27, who has won all 19 of his fights inside the distance, is already in training camp, preparing for Pulev.

Deontay Wilder vs. Luis Ortiz targeted for November 4th

The WBC’s battle with Bermane Stiverne not withstanding, it looks like the sanctioning body is going forward with its plan to pit heavyweight champ Deontay Wilder against Luis Ortiz later this year. Head honcho Mauricio Sulaiman told The Ring today that he hopes to have the Stiverne matter sorted out within ten days, after which they can go ahead with a November 4th title fight.

Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KO) became the WBC interim champion when Alexander Povetkin failed a drug test just before their planned fight. Notwithstanding the fact that Stiverne ALSO failed a drug test and has only beaten Derric Rossy since getting dominated by

Wilder (38-0, 37 KO) 19 months ago, he’s been refusing to step aside despite there being zero interest in a rematch.

He also refused to face Ortiz (27-0, 23 KO) in an eliminator earlier this year.

Even The President Of The WBC Wants To See Joshua vs. Wilder

Even World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaiman seems very keen on getting the pair to face off against each other in the future.

He told Sky Sports: "We will do whatever is possible and necessary to make it happen.

"That's the fight everybody wants to see. Joshua is a tremendous attraction and a positive role model, and Wilder is the same.

"Two undefeated champions should meet in the ring as soon as possible. Both have commitments to finish, so next year is the time to meet."

Manny ducked the rematch with HornGOAT. They are looking at Jessie Vargas and Terrence Crawford as replacements.

See one of your politicians was saying he should fight Conor now haha.

Manny ducked the rematch with HornGOAT. They are looking at Jessie Vargas and Terrence Crawford as replacements.

Crawford would kill that boy.
  • Like 2

Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez's legacy secured despite being humbled by Srisaket Sor Rungvisai KO

roman-gonzalez-chocolatito-sor-rungivsai

Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez's brutal reality check was a result of chasing greatness. Despite losing, he has achieved the place in history that he fought for.

Many memorable champions have been humbled by boxing, the sport they so nearly conquered, before discovering its inherent mercilessness. This past weekend, 'Chocolatito' became the latest after Srisaket Sor Rungvisai beat him for the second time in a row, this time with a much more definitive fourth round knockout.

roman-gonzalez-chocolatito-sor-rungivisa

To fall just four fights short of Floyd Mayweather's recently accomplished 50-0 career perhaps speaks the most obvious volumes of Gonzalez's longevity and ability.

World titles across four weight divisions (strawweight, light-flyweight, flyweight and super-flyweight) are the evidence to Gonzalez's brilliance. His amateur career, although impossible to ever fully clarify, is estimated at 88-0. All arguments about the world's pound-for-pound top boxer in the past few years included Gonzalez.

The fact that Gonzalez was never a household name makes him even more of a cult hero for the few that have watched him.

roman-gonzalez-chocolatito-boxing_394903

Of course, Sor Rungvisai's role should never be downplayed. Bigger, stronger and fresher, he had a healthy lack of interest in Gonzalez's previous 46 wins. Wrong place, wrong time.

Gonzalez's defeats do not mean that all the prior success was fraudulent. He bravely went out on his shield competing miles above his natural weight, already at a disadvantage that he had previously made mincemeat of. 'Chocolatito' may never fight again but, to be remembered as a great, he doesn't need to.

Edited by Jolldan
  • Like 1

I thought Chocolatito won their first fight and was robbed. He only lost the first fight because of the nasty cut from a head butt that bled heavily for most of the fight.