• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#1 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

This thread is not the province only of the elite.....this thread is for the weight-loser, the dead-lifter, the push-up and sit-upper; this thread is for the runner, the cyclist, the walker and the swimmer.  This thread is for those who want to shift a few pounds, this thread is for those who want traps like Tom Hardy.  Tall, short, fat, thin, weak, strong, young, old - even CB old, all are welcome to come to this thread and post their hopes, dreams and aspirations.

In short, if you want to finish 2017 fitter than you started it, this thread is for you.

Please post your fitness goals for the year.  I will update into the second post and keep chasing.  Goals can be anything you like; the more specific, the easier it is to keep accountable though.

Nyte, this is your year.  New job, new year, new gainz.  Chons, I'm hoping you'll build on the back of your excellent work last year.  CB, you had a year off now get back onto it soldier!  Soup, Roids, Oz...the lifters, let's hear your plans.  JC, am hoping the injury has sorted itself out so you can keep baffling us with Cross-fit terminology and inspiring us when we finally work out what they are.

Stomp....we need the forum's most knowledgeable and respected poster here too.

Sober, Joby, someone else I forgot, you were looking forward to this thread, so let's go!

Time to get healthier folks.  We only have one body and one life.

• Joby, Decompoze, UFCCagerattler and 6 others like this

Winning coach of 2016 Camps League - Team FRANKLIN

Chief of the Rich "Ace" Franklin fan-club

Founder of the welcoming/rehabillitation team

rich-franklin.jpg

#2 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

This post reserved for fitness targets

• UFCCagerattler and classicboxer like this

rich-franklin.jpg

#3 classicboxer

classicboxer

• Free
  • 17,530 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

I'll be 59 years old next month. I just want to make it to 60.

• the_enigma, Decompoze, UFCCagerattler and 9 others like this

#4 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 38,313 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

I am coming off the year where I achieved the best fitness level of my life, and then slowly lost it. My goal this year is to become the change.  

• Bubba_Sparks, classicboxer and NoCakeForYaya like this

#5 sobercuban

sobercuban

POTUS

• Moderators
  • 52,969 posts
  • LocationThe other side of the table

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

IN

From the day after Thanksgiving until yesterday I've dropped 7.6 pounds.  

I've also resumed weight training and will be looking to get a stationary bike in the next week or so.  

I started at 176ish and am down to 168.4, the goal is 145 with a much lower body fat percentage.  

• Eclipse76, classicboxer, chons and 1 other like this

post-406774-0-12678100-1439418105.gif

post-406774-0-05914100-1428435713.jpg

#6 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Holiday celebrations are over for me.  Yep, I started an 8-week regimen today (initial phase).  The pieces of crap that were my life that held me back last year are now gone and it's new year.  But I do start under duress.  January holds an unfortunate amount of midnight shifts for me (which are my Achilles heel).  But I'm determined to push through.

I meet up with my former trainer (who's younger than me) in July for his big birthday bash in Colorado.  He expects me to be in tip top shape for lots of hiking.

I plan major but healthy weight loss/cardio over the next 4 months and steady strength gains with fine tuning the next two months until July.  And then solidify the lifestyle changes to keep me in check.

This thread will help keep me on target.

• UFCCagerattler, Eclipse76, classicboxer and 2 others like this

Seen: 167, 168, 173vip, 175vip/expo, 178vip, 183vip, Fight Night 73nashville, 192vip, TUF 22 Finalevip, Fight Night 81boston, Fight Night 90vegas/vip, TUF 23 Finalevip, 200vip, 201vip, 203vip

#7 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 38,313 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

January: creating habits

diet

I have read that you need to do something 13 or 14 times in order for it to become a habit for you. For me it is even fewer. The most important application of this principle in fitness applies to food. It works against you in the junk food department because eating/drinking junk is the worst habit you can have. In order to break that habit you need to create a habit of eating properly. If you force yourself to eat properly you will be able to stop eating junk and sabotaging your own fitness efforts. If you try to stop eating junk food by starving yourself you will fail. There is no point in trying to lose weight through exercise if you are not going to give up beer and coke and cookies and crackers etc etc. its pointless to try. research has actually shown that you are better of to stay a fat **** then lose weight/gain weight all your life. and please lets not have any 22 year olds post about how they can eat anything they want. You are going to be a fat old man son. you are going to take those bad habits into adulthood where you metabolism   slows and you are going to be ****, just like millions and millions of guys every day.

The only liquid I drink for the next two weeks is water. period. No coffee or tea even. not green tea. just water.

when I wake up I do whatever cardio I am doing then have breakfast.

I never want to be trying to figure out what to make myself. Ever. I have 2 breakfasts (2 poached eggs with or without ham or cheese if I want it or greek yogurt with or without  bran buds. I will eat whichever one of these two I have. after day 5 or 6 I won;t even care which it is. The mornings I have 2 eggs is the only time I will ever eat protein alone with no carbs. after 14 days I will add a piece of taost or some other carb to the eggs.

I can have one piece a fruit in mid morning if I want.thats it for fruit. fruit is a gateway drug leading to  potato chips.

for lunch I have cabbage or lettuce salad with cottage cheese and some oil/vinegar. I can put in carrots/celery/peppers or any veg I want. If I have not had eggs for breakfast I can have a hard boiled egg or two. If I want I can put in up to a can of tuna.  

I can eat a garbage bag full of that if I want. After a few days I won't want to. After awhile I am only eating lunch in order to have something to **** out. 

I can buy this pre made in bags at any food store so I don;t have to chop and prepare anything if I don;t want to. The idea is to have a set lunch waiting in the fridge at all times. 

I generally like to do my main workout about 30 minutes after lunch. I was also doing it before lunch but I think I like the after lunch workout better 

Dinner (supper) is harder because I am usually not eating alone and I can't expect everyone else to eat as I do. My family understands that I am on a special diet and they watch me like a hawk. I will have whatever meat or protein they are eating. My piece will be the size of a deck of cards. I can eat whatever amount of veg they are having. no potato. no rice. no pasta. no bread. also little table salt. During this 14 days I am basically weight cutting - losing water - I am trying to reset my eating habits. it isn't about losing fat or gaining muscle it is about establishing the proper diet in order to do one or both of those things in the future. You are not going to lose fat or gain muscle eating ****.

I do a light cardio at nigh after supper unless I have miss my main workout a have to do it late.

If am am running 5 miles in the morning I would walk or bilk half that time in the evening.If I was warwest or cashflow I might beat up one person instead of 3 like I do in the morning.  Usually with someone in my family. I am just stretching my legs and enjoying being outside and most importantly staying off the couch and away from the tv and the beer and the peanuts etc. I am not ruining a day of effort with 20 minutes of indulgence.  I am actually talking to someone about fitness and what we can do together to enjoy it. 

I am trying to make my life as little like a jail sentence as possible

as I do this my bad eating habits are doing their thing of trying to undermine my self confidence and self worth and belief in myself. thats what they attack and thats how they roll. If I can defeat then for 3 or 4 or 5 days I can defeat them - although in 3 week or 6 months or 2 years they will be there again. But that is a different problem.

If I can maintain this for the 2 weeks I will be set for the year. By the time january ends I will will have eliminated my bad eating, established my good eating, and established a training regime. 

• StompGrind, Eclipse76, Bubba_Sparks and 3 others like this

#8 sobercuban

sobercuban

POTUS

• Moderators
  • 52,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

I never want to be trying to figure out what to make myself. Ever. I have 2 breakfasts (2 poached eggs with or without ham or cheese if I want it or greek yogurt with or without  bran buds. I will eat whichever one of these two I have. after day 5 or 6 I won;t even care which it is. The mornings I have 2 eggs is the only time I will ever eat protein alone with no carbs. after 14 days I will add a piece of taost or some other carb to the eggs.

Key Lime Greek Yogurt and Grape Nuts (same thing as Bran Buds, just made by Post) have been what I've had almost every day for lunch for the past 5 weeks.  

It's nice and light but enough to last me until dinner.  

I'm planning on investing in a food scale as well.  Over the holidays my Mom made a bunch of Baked Ham and I had no idea how much 3oz (1 serving) of it was so I just had to guesstimate when trying to log the calories, fat, etc.  

• UFCCagerattler, Eclipse76 and chons like this

#9 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 38,313 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

greek yogurt is the bomb. a big lump of protein that your belly has to work on for hours

• Eclipse76, sobercuban and chons like this

#10 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

January: creating habits

diet

I can have one piece a fruit in mid morning if I want.thats it for fruit. fruit is a gateway drug leading to  potato chips.

Excellent summary. 

Interesting statement about fruit...it's the same for me.  Except I have to limit it to melon/cantaloupe/grapes/watermelon.  Just about all other fruits contain way too much natural sugar - which is an appetite stimulant for me.  Bananas (love them but high glycemic) are the worst.

• UFCCagerattler and chons like this

Seen: 167, 168, 173vip, 175vip/expo, 178vip, 183vip, Fight Night 73nashville, 192vip, TUF 22 Finalevip, Fight Night 81boston, Fight Night 90vegas/vip, TUF 23 Finalevip, 200vip, 201vip, 203vip

#11 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

Great post rattler. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • UFCCagerattler, classicboxer and chons like this

rich-franklin.jpg

#12 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 34,828 posts
  • LocationCastle of kinks

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

In like Flynn but you already know i'm down homie.

Nice work Rattler. 

• Eclipse76, Bubba_Sparks, classicboxer and 1 other like this

"You have to work with the clits. Don't sail your boat into the rocky river." - Mantak Chia

#13 classicboxer

classicboxer

• Free
  • 17,530 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

I have always had the attitude that I will eat whatever I want whenever I want, and I would always exercise enough to not worry about it! I finally gave up coca cola, but I actually think that was a waste of effort.

#14 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

I have always had the attitude that I will eat whatever I want whenever I want, and I would always exercise enough to not worry about it! I finally gave up coca cola, but I actually think that was a waste of effort.

There's a lot of research that suggests that is a statistically unwise approach! You're probably freakishly naturally fit, but you might be pleasantly surprised at how much healthier you can feel with an improved diet. Have you ever thought of giving it a go for a couple of months?

I thought exactly the same until I started running ultras btw.

Edited by Bubba_Sparks, 01 January 2017 - 03:33 PM.

• classicboxer likes this

rich-franklin.jpg

#15 sobercuban

sobercuban

POTUS

• Moderators
  • 52,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

So, my diet is pretty limited.  I can't really eat veggies because they give me cramping fits because of my diverticulosis and it puts some constraints on 'healthy' eating.  I can handle fruit alright for whatever reason.  

With that said

Opinions on what I'm having for dinner tonight:

Approx 5oz (uncooked) Sirloin Tip Side Steak  (very lean cuts)

1/2 cup white rice (dry)

Meat will have some seasoning added but not salt.  No butter on rice.  I'm THAT guy that puts A1 sauce on my steak so I'll probably have 2 tbsp of A1 that will go on the meat and get mixed in with the rice.  

By my calculations that will be about 500 calories

I was eating chicken and rice before but found if I made several meals I didn't like the way it tasted when I reheated it.  I know red meat is not the best so I went with the leanest cut.

That will put me a little over 1000 calories for the day leaving me 400-500 I can have for a healthy snack.  I'll probably end up around 1300 though most days I'm at 1500 or so.  

• UFCCagerattler, Eclipse76, Bubba_Sparks and 1 other like this

#16 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

How often a week do you eat red meat sober? Does all veg mess with you? That sucks...one quick and easy healthy improvement for the above would be to swap white rice for brown rice. Much less processed.
  • sobercuban likes this

rich-franklin.jpg

#17 classicboxer

classicboxer

• Free
  • 17,530 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Ever try vegetable drinks?

• UFCCagerattler, Eclipse76 and sobercuban like this

#18 sobercuban

sobercuban

POTUS

• Moderators
  • 52,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:08 PM

How often a week do you eat red meat sober? Does all veg mess with you? That sucks...one quick and easy healthy improvement for the above would be to swap white rice for brown rice. Much less processed.

Umm maybe 2 times a week on average.  Lettuce, carrots, stuff like that really messes with me.  I've been planning on trying out fresh spinach and broccoli just to see what happens since I'm out of work and would be able to lay in bed if it disagreed with me.  I would love to be able to eat a grilled chicken salad again.  

Honestly I just get gun-shy.  I've have very good luck with my guts over the past 2 years or so and have been extremely hesitant to experiment.  It's weird though, I can eat any kind of meat, cheese, bread, pasta, pizza, junk food, etc without problems, which is part of the reason why I've gained so much body fat.  

I forgot to mention I was only eating the white rice until I ran out of it (wife bought some big container) and then I'll be eating brown rice.  

• Bubba_Sparks and classicboxer like this

#19 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

You guys better get onto Thug Kitchen this year like I advised the last two years smh

Veggie recipes that are unbelievably tasty
  • Bubba_Sparks and chons like this

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION                 UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 14 CHAMPION

2015 CAMP LEAGUE CHAMPION                             P4P AUSSIE HYPE TRAIN CONTROLLER

v4MjFdj.png

#20 sobercuban

sobercuban

POTUS

• Moderators
  • 52,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Yeah and they don't bother me, I just don't typically buy them because they are expensive and I'm a cheapskate.  I've never been a V8 fan though. 

I've been taking these guys just to supplement for the lack of veggies I get:

http://www.gnc.com/G...ductId=88341956

Good stuff, has some energy formula stuff in it, milk thistle for prostate health, etc.  

• Eclipse76 and classicboxer like this

#21 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Umm maybe 2 times a week on average. Lettuce, carrots, stuff like that really messes with me. I've been planning on trying out fresh spinach and broccoli just to see what happens since I'm out of work and would be able to lay in bed if it disagreed with me. I would love to be able to eat a grilled chicken salad again.

Honestly I just get gun-shy. I've have very good luck with my guts over the past 2 years or so and have been extremely hesitant to experiment. It's weird though, I can eat any kind of meat, cheese, bread, pasta, pizza, junk food, etc without problems, which is part of the reason why I've gained so much body fat.

I forgot to mention I was only eating the white rice until I ran out of it (wife bought some big container) and then I'll be eating brown rice.

I can see your dilemma. I guess if you do find a load of veg that you can stomach, it will benefit you for 40+ years, but I can understand not wanting to rock the boat.

The biggest change I made to my diet over the past couple of years was to reduce my red meat intake to at most one per week and have a couple of vegan meals a week as well. It's done wonders for recovery from exercise.

Do you guys have nutritionists over there, or does it fall into the category of very expensive medical care? Best £30 I've ever spent.
  • sobercuban likes this

rich-franklin.jpg

#22 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

I'm in btw. I'm not chasing numbers this year. I want to be lean and strong and kicking azz.

I wanna be training like a beast and be hitting the pads and having raw strength like this guy.

Edited by Ozpride, 01 January 2017 - 04:15 PM.

• StompGrind, Bubba_Sparks and chons like this

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION                 UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 14 CHAMPION

2015 CAMP LEAGUE CHAMPION                             P4P AUSSIE HYPE TRAIN CONTROLLER

v4MjFdj.png

#23 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

I'm in btw. I'm not chasing numbers this year. I want to be lean and strong and kicking azz.

I wanna be training Luke a beast and be hitting the pads and having raw strength like this guy.

https://m.facebook.c...54&id=772787353

Why don't you set some "leading" indicators then? Like how many times per week you'll spar, train etc? Then the rest of the results will follow.

rich-franklin.jpg

#24 sobercuban

sobercuban

POTUS

• Moderators
  • 52,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

I can see your dilemma. I guess if you do find a load of veg that you can stomach, it will benefit you for 40+ years, but I can understand not wanting to rock the boat.

The biggest change I made to my diet over the past couple of years was to reduce my red meat intake to at most one per week and have a couple of vegan meals a week as well. It's done wonders for recovery from exercise.

Do you guys have nutritionists over there, or does it fall into the category of very expensive medical care? Best £30 I've ever spent.

Yeah we have nutritionists, they have to be licensed etc.  Never been personally.

• Eclipse76 likes this

#25 classicboxer

classicboxer

• Free
  • 17,530 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Yeah and they don't bother me, I just don't typically buy them because they are expensive and I'm a cheapskate.  I've never been a V8 fan though. 

Good stuff, has some energy formula stuff in it, milk thistle for prostate health, etc.  

Get a blender and make your own!

• sobercuban likes this

#26 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

Why don't you set some "leading" indicators then? Like how many times per week you'll spar, train etc? Then the rest of the results will follow.

Video updated. Have a look - it's not crossfit - it's functional patterns. This guys techniques are insane!

I can't plan like that as I study and work three casual Jobs which vary week by week. BUT I'm doing absolute minimum of one BJJ open mat session a week ideally two and same with MMA, then minimum of two gym sessions which vary in exercise. I guess that's leading? I run to BJJ and the gym and home and walk/run my dog with my misses every day so I'm pretty active. Just need to push my sessions harder :)
  • Bubba_Sparks likes this

v4MjFdj.png

#27 sobercuban

sobercuban

POTUS

• Moderators
  • 52,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

Oooh looks like I DO have brown rice.  Well, it's going to get eaten. 

• Bubba_Sparks likes this

#28 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

Man, I hope the advertising for V8 is correct because I absolutely LOVE that stuff.  Could easily drink a gallon a day - but I limit myself to no more than one regular can.  There's enough natural sugar in there that I can feel an insulin response from one can so I do limit it.

I've also tried just doing some of the same veggies in a blender but it's not the same.

• sobercuban and classicboxer like this

#29 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

You guys better get onto Thug Kitchen this year like I advised the last two years smh

Veggie recipes that are unbelievably tasty

I gotta say the home page is a breath of fresh air:

"Welcome to Thug Kitchen, motherf*cker.  We’re the only website dedicated to verbally abusing you into a healthier diet. That's where the Internet bus driver just dropped your a$$ off."

This will be fun.

• OzPride and chons like this

#30 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I gotta say the home page is a breath of fresh air:

"Welcome to Thug Kitchen, motherf*cker. We’re the only website dedicated to verbally abusing you into a healthier diet. That's where the Internet bus driver just dropped your a$$ off."

This will be fun.

Yesssssss!!!!!!!

Now get the books. Best cook books I've ever had in my life.
  • Joby and chons like this

v4MjFdj.png

#31 sobercuban

sobercuban

POTUS

• Moderators
  • 52,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

I wanna be training like a beast and be hitting the pads and having raw strength like this guy.

Lol I swear that said "Functional Autism"

Would have bet my modship on it. 

Also, I could be roided to the gills and still never be able to do most of what he's doing.  Genetics suck. 

#32 the_enigma

the_enigma
  • Moderators
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

this thread is for those who want traps like Tom Hardy. 

lmao that was me when warrior first came out.

3L milk a day, creatine, deadlifts and shrugs = I gained 10kg in 1 month and got bloated AF, but had noticeable gains in traps, forearms and belly LOL.

• Eclipse76 likes this

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

2013 predictions league champion
Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
Last one to post wins winner x2
Survivor Series VIII - Sole survivor.

#33 RadLad

RadLad
  • Free
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

I'm in this year.

I've been a lazy **** this year and am up to 89kg and stand at 5'11. My diet in 2016 was mediocre at best but the main problem is how often I drunk alcohol and how much I consumed each time, I also did minimal exercise. I am 25 so tend to go out a lot.

However, plans for 2017:

- Do weight training 4 times a week finishing with core exercises every session.

- Do 2-3 HIIT sessions a week.

- Get down to at least 84kg by June 22nd. My bro's stag do is in Vegas then so the rig has to look better for that, especially as drinking will be mandatory every day. 

- Cook more instead of eating out/takeaways. I also have a nutri bullet so will start everyday with a veggie smoothie.

- By the end of 2017 I want to have a fookin 6 pack and weigh between 80-82kg. TBH as long as the rig looks good I am not too concerned about what I weigh but judging by my height and frame I think 80-82kg would be where I would look good physically. 

Haven't got an EXACT meal plan in place but will be implementing the like of chicken/salmon, veg like broccoli/carrots/asparagus etc, sweet potato/brown rice will be go to carbs most of the time. I also have a recipe book by that Joe Wicks fella (Lean in 15) so will probably try some of those and have numerous recipes for the Nutri Bullet (Blender).

I have the workout plan set in place as well, which I downloaded from LDNMUSCLE. 

Let's make 2017 our betch.

• the_enigma, Eclipse76, classicboxer and 1 other like this

Rad Lad's Raddest fighters: Michael Bisping, Rampage Jackson, Chael Sonnen, Jon Jones, Shogun Rua, Matt Brown, Conor Mcgregor, Alistair Overeem, Urijah Faber.

#34 the_enigma

the_enigma
  • Moderators
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

I will say I went from a 5x5 style training program to a HIIT program using light weights and the fat just fell off me, veins showing etc. (that's never happened for me) although I look better my strength has fallen off. I think alternating between the two would be a good strategy.... maybe each exercise starting out with heavy sets and then doing a huge drop set to finish it off.

Oh and shorter workouts seem to be easier to keep in a routine of doing, less then 1/2 hr... especially when working long hrs.

• OzPride, classicboxer, chons and 1 other like this

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

#35 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:33 AM

I will say I went from a 5x5 style training program to a HIIT program using light weights and the fat just fell off me, veins showing etc. (that's never happened for me) although I look better my strength has fallen off. I think alternating between the two would be a good strategy.... maybe each exercise starting out with heavy sets and then doing a huge drop set to finish it off.

Oh and shorter workouts seem to be easier to keep in a routine of doing, less then 1/2 hr... especially when working long hrs.

What was the HIIT like mate? Mixing those two would be a hell of a move if you can get the balance right

v4MjFdj.png

#36 the_enigma

the_enigma
  • Moderators
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:01 AM

What was the HIIT like mate?

Death.

Lol I kid, my mindset was basically to use weights for cardio. I'll use deadlifts as an example. (I'm no strongman so don't laugh at me.)

When I was going for strength I would deadlift 140kg for say 5 reps max. I'd do that over and over with 3 to 5 mins in between. That was comfortable.

When I switched to HIIT I would deadlift 50/60kg for 10 reps, regardless if I reach failure or not. I'd rest for 10 seconds MAX, then do it again. And again. And again. The max reps drops as I go on, so I'd keep going to failure each set. The sets don't stop until I can only complete 4 reps per set. That was the magic number for me. I'm not sure if it's because of the 5x5 training or what but I would wind up doing like 10 sets in a row of 5 reps, it was damn near impossible to fatigue myself to only do 4 reps. After each 5th rep set I could barely stand up after putting the weight down, yet 10 seconds later I'm busting out 5 reps again. It would take 5 to 10 mins to do a killer deadlift workout. The entire body feels like jelly worse and worse as I go on. 

It'd be pretty easy to do 5x5 deadlifts first then do that workout above. That hiit workout would be shorter if already fatigued from heavy deadlifts.

Pretty much any compound exercise would be effective with that workout imo. I'll probably try a compound a day for a month and see what happens.

• StompGrind, Eclipse76 and classicboxer like this

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

#37 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

Nice mate. I do drop sets after a 5x5 sesh too but had never associated HIIT with something like DL's - I like it!
  • the_enigma and Eclipse76 like this

v4MjFdj.png

#38 the_enigma

the_enigma
  • Moderators
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

Nice mate. I do drop sets after a 5x5 sesh too but had never associated HIIT with something like DL's - I like it!

It's something else that's for sure. The burn is REAL. 

I actually started out trying it for shoulders because I never really feel like I've worked them hard. One day I'm just like... why not do deadlifts like this?

HIIT squats scare me though. That's next.

• Eclipse76 and classicboxer like this

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

#39 KingNothing

KingNothing

#1 El Pantera Fan

• Free
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

Last year I posted some pretty lofty goals and didnt come close to achieving them. I weight 245 right now and I'm 5'10. If i can lose 40 pounds this year i would be happy with that. I also want to start lifting again but its been a long time since ive lifted so i dont even know where i am currently in regards to that. If i just start lifting again and make at least some improvements that would be fine for me. Im trying to keep my fitness goals attainable this year.

Although i dont know if i should be trying to lose weight and lifting at the same time, so ill have to do some research on that.
  • Eclipse76, sobercuban, classicboxer and 1 other like this

nicolas_cage_breeze.0.gif

#40 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

It's something else that's for sure. The burn is REAL.

I actually started out trying it for shoulders because I never really feel like I've worked them hard. One day I'm just like... why not do deadlifts like this?

HIIT squats scare me though. That's next.

Is it actually HIIT though? Or more like pyramid dropsets? If you're not timing your on/off properly I'm not sure effectively using the method is all.. sounds effective either way!
  • the_enigma likes this

v4MjFdj.png

#41 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Last year I posted some pretty lofty goals and didnt come close to achieving them. I weight 245 right now and I'm 5'10. If i can lose 40 pounds this year i would be happy with that. I also want to start lifting again but its been a long time since ive lifted so i dont even know where i am currently in regards to that. If i just start lifting again and make at least some improvements that would be fine for me. Im trying to keep my fitness goals attainable this year.

Although i dont know if i should be trying to lose weight and lifting at the same time, so ill have to do some research on that.

5x5x5 would be perfect for you. Download the stronglifts app and start from there. Add to that C25K (couch to 5k) a running app that slowly builds you up to 5k's in about 25 sessions. Between those two and tightening up your diet a lot you'll be on your way in no time!
  • sobercuban and KingNothing like this

v4MjFdj.png

#42 the_enigma

the_enigma
  • Moderators
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

Is it actually HIIT though? Or more like pyramid dropsets? If you're not timing your on/off properly I'm not sure effectively using the method is all.. sounds effective either way!

According to google:
"HIIT, or high-intensity interval training, is a training technique in which you give all-out, one hundred percent effort through quick, intense bursts of exercise, followed by short, sometimes active, recovery periods. This type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns more fat in less time."

Yes it most certainly is. The weight on the bar never changes. It starts out light and easy, never walk away from the bar, doing set after set with 10 seconds max rest until you can only manage 4 reps. it will knock you off your camp chair.
  • OzPride likes this

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

#43 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 34,828 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

I've posted videos of him before in the 2016 thread. I've studied Naudi in the past quite a bit. He's trained quite a few MMA fighters.  Lil Heathen to name one. He's got an excellent book about posture. He has great ideas and incites in the videos on his youtube channel. Very well informed well rounded intelligent guy. He knows a lot about physiology, bio mechanics, anatomy, kinesiology, physical therapy, myofascial release etc.. Wealth of information this guy has. I rank him up there with Steve Maxwell. 

He's the a REAL deal movement coach unlike Ido and the guy Condit was using both of which are ok but basically just metaphysics fitness hippies..lol

Edited by StompGrind, 02 January 2017 - 04:07 PM.

• OzPride likes this

"You have to work with the clits. Don't sail your boat into the rocky river." - Mantak Chia

#44 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 34,828 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

Umm maybe 2 times a week on average.  Lettuce, carrots, stuff like that really messes with me.  I've been planning on trying out fresh spinach and broccoli just to see what happens since I'm out of work and would be able to lay in bed if it disagreed with me.  I would love to be able to eat a grilled chicken salad again.  

Honestly I just get gun-shy.  I've have very good luck with my guts over the past 2 years or so and have been extremely hesitant to experiment.  It's weird though, I can eat any kind of meat, cheese, bread, pasta, pizza, junk food, etc without problems, which is part of the reason why I've gained so much body fat.  

The is obvious and goes without saying but when you're trying to see what you can take don't eat a full serving.Just a little at a time and see how you respond. I know that might be a pain in the butt to prep and eat that way but it may allow your body to get accustomed to it in smaller doses so to speak and gradually increment to normal serving sizes. 

My brother had that issue with foods he couldn't eat. He was overweight, had diabetes, gout, kidney disease, heart disease, neuropathy. His list of food options pretty much all cancelled each other out. All the healthy stuff to combat one thing on one list he couldn't eat because it was bad for him on the others. 

• sobercuban likes this

#45 Yesterdays_Hero

Yesterdays_Hero

Leader of The 5k Family

• Free
  • 33,797 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

I went to the gym 3 times a week for 4 months and by the end I just felt burnt out for the rest of the day after each session, felt like more of a hindrance than anything. Think I need to change to an easier routine cause squats and deadlifts rekt my soul

• Eclipse76 likes this

1z3tcvc.jpg

OFFICIAL UFC FORUM +1 POSTER OF THE PREVIOUS TWO YEARS

#46 KingNothing

KingNothing

#1 El Pantera Fan

• Free
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

5x5x5 would be perfect for you. Download the stronglifts app and start from there. Add to that C25K (couch to 5k) a running app that slowly builds you up to 5k's in about 25 sessions. Between those two and tightening up your diet a lot you'll be on your way in no time!

Yeah ny diet is my main hindrance, i have a problem with food haha. I tried the C25K program but it ran a little too fast for me, i felt like i wasnt really staying on track with it even though i was doing everything it said. Ill ddfinitely try it again though. Thanks for the advice!

nicolas_cage_breeze.0.gif

#47 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 22,537 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

Yeah ny diet is my main hindrance, i have a problem with food haha. I tried the C25K program but it ran a little too fast for me, i felt like i wasnt really staying on track with it even though i was doing everything it said. Ill ddfinitely try it again though. Thanks for the advice!

You can always repeat days until you master it, that's what I do when it gets hard.. and bubba is the man for running Nd will tell you if you struggle with distance then slow down your pace it can work miracles!

v4MjFdj.png

#48 the_enigma

the_enigma
  • Moderators
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

I went to the gym 3 times a week for 4 months and by the end I just felt burnt out for the rest of the day after each session, felt like more of a hindrance than anything. Think I need to change to an easier routine cause squats and deadlifts rekt my soul

yeah that's the main reason why i limit workouts to 1/2hr.

When i feel burnt out it's hard to get motivated to do a 1hr+ workout. They are effective, I simply can't do them all the time with work and life etc...

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

#49 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 38,313 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

I enjoy veggie smoothies for breakfast later on in training. 

i use kale/spinach/swisss chard as the carb source and greek yogurt for the protein.

• RadLad likes this

#50 RadLad

RadLad
  • Free
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

When I mentioned HIIT in my post, I was thinking 30 sec sprints with 30 sec walk (or more if I needed) repeatedly. I am aware there is other HIIT training like what enigma is talking about with weights or even body weight exercises but with the 4 times weekly weight training sessions I am doing as well, I'm thinking HIIT weight sessions would be a bad idea. 

Started the first workout of my routine last night and tonight I will be doing the sprints... FML life. Hello tunnel vision, my old friend!

• the_enigma likes this

Rad Lad's Raddest fighters: Michael Bisping, Rampage Jackson, Chael Sonnen, Jon Jones, Shogun Rua, Matt Brown, Conor Mcgregor, Alistair Overeem, Urijah Faber.