Sign in to follow this  
Bubba_Sparks

Bubba Sparks' 2017 fitness thread in association with ClassicBoxer

What are the odds that Megasoup doesn't start the 2018 Fitness Thread?

Pretty good. I'm not really in the mood to start the new year out with a bunch of ****s who don't even know me taking shots at me over the Internet.

Well, I clearly can't compare with what y'all guys are able to do, but I'd still like to participate and maybe even get ideas from some of you. Starting around July, some significant events happened in my life and prior to that I had been really struggling on account of my health and all the isolation not being able to work brings. I started doing small things, like putting makeup on every day and trying to be otherwise presentable the way I would have typically done had I been going into the office. Slowly but surely, that led to eating better and walking. I'm very limited in what I can do to exercise right now because I have a REALLY bad spine along with 5 pinched nerves. 3 in my neck and 2 in my lumbar spine. Throw in 2 ruptured discs and muscle atrophy in my shoulder, left arm and left leg and you can see why my mobility is an issue. All that to say, I've lost about 25-30 pounds and plan to keep going. I have an elliptical that I am starting on but can only manage 10 minutes at a time right now. I am waiting for my appointment with the neurosurgeon to hopefully get some improvement in my spine so that I don't have to feel 90 anymore. Lol

Anyone is very welcome BEG.  Thread really isn't competitive at all (although Eclipse sometimes turns up to see if he's beaten my Deadlift PB yet before I send him on his way) - it's mainly for posting your goals for the year, sharing advice and keeping each other accountable. 

Sorry you're having a tough time of it, and good for you that you're still keeping going with stuff.  There's a really wide range of fitness levels, goals etc so join the fun!

• Like 1

Pretty good. I'm not really in the mood to start the new year out with a bunch of ****s who don't even know me taking shots at me over the Internet.

Ignore them mate.  Cash is kinda bored without FH so maybe you're his new outlet.

I'm going to be online for 30 minutes.  We need a new thread.  Say **** 'em and start the new thread, or I'll kick it off before I log off, which would be a shame.  I'm keen to pass the torch and i think 2018 is your year.

Gonna sign off on this thread by threefing.

At the risk of sounding a bit ****ensian, 2017 was the best of years and the worst of years from a training perspective.  Achieved all my original goals, including the biggie of finishing the 100 miler.  That set me back more than i had ever imagined though, and consequently i finished 2017 in arguably the worst shape of my life, which was kind of sad as only 4 months previously I'd been in the best shape of my life.

This thread, and those setting their goals and working towards them, was more of an inspiration than you might realise.  I remember sitting there one Friday night at 10PM, about a month before my ultra...I'd had a nice dinner with the missus and watched a film, could head to bed have a nice long cuddle, get a solid 8 or 9 hours sleep in and start the weekend feeling refreshed.  But I'd planned to do a 20 mile night run, I'd written about it on this thread, and that was the final motivation i needed to stick with the plan.  

2017 has been fun; roll on 2018.  Soup...you have 25 minutes!

Sorry to hear about your health troubles.

If you want any advice on yoga or joint mobility i can help a little. Stretching in general is great for you. If you do start to practice, yoga can be challenging so be careful to avoid some of the poses that put too much stress on your spine neck or shoulders. i.e. no inverted poses on your back, no bridging, no downward dog or cobra pose. Thunderbolt and Child pose would probably be really good for you if your knees aren't bad. As would simply sitting in lotus/half lotus with good posture and breathing feeling it go up and down your spine. Another one and use a mat or a bed if you try it. Lay down and simply prop your legs up against a wall and try to scoot your butt close to the wall then just relax. Look into any gentle stretching exercises that stretch the piriformis. < Tightness/inflamation there is a major cause of a lot of back issues. Go easy on everything. Nice and gentle and ALWAYS warm up first before you stretch with some joint mobility circles and gentle torso twist, bends and arching. Do the same to cool down. 

Get yourself a mat and a stability ball if srs. I have a wonderful exercise for the spine that i'm pretty sure i invented. I posted a gif of it. It sort of works to decompress without much weight bearing strain like some yoga asana's do when you don't quite have the strength/flexiblity to hold some poses properly for longer periods. A stability ball also makes a great chair to correct posture.  I wouldn't recommend if you're an uncoordinated total klutz though. You do have to have decent balance otherwise you could take a fall doing certain things. 

Besides diet, good genetics posture is the #1 key to health imo. It's so easy for us to forget about posture when we sit, walk of do anything really. We wanna slouch or twist or bend the wrong way which creates stress points for our spine, supporting joints and the surrounding nerves then over time your body kinda adapts and grows to stay like that but it degrades more to the point that good posture hurts so you need to slowly train yourself to be mindful of your posture. One last thing if you have access to a pool do use. 

Anyway sorry for the exercise encyclopedia Britannica above lol but good luck and take it easy working your way up whatever you do. Even just maintenance level is better than regressing.

Wow. So thoughtful and so much excellent advice. I appreciate your specifics on the poses. Some of them I may not have realized were as weight bearing as they seem. I will be sure to keep you posted and consult with you with any uncertainties. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck. The essential thing for me is to STAY IN MOTION no matter what. The absolute worst thing I can do for my various ailments is remain still. This is harder than it sounds because pain restricts the simplest of movements. Stretching sounds like a fabulous idea, even if I cannot do anything else. Thank you so very much. Your time is appreciated, Stomp!

• Like 1

Anyone is very welcome BEG.  Thread really isn't competitive at all (although Eclipse sometimes turns up to see if he's beaten my Deadlift PB yet before I send him on his way) - it's mainly for posting your goals for the year, sharing advice and keeping each other accountable. 

Sorry you're having a tough time of it, and good for you that you're still keeping going with stuff.  There's a really wide range of fitness levels, goals etc so join the fun!

Thank you so much for your sentiments! I'm glad I shared after all. :)

• Like 1