Sign in to follow this  
Mcmax3000

Former WWE Announcer & ESPN Anchor Todd Grisham Starts With UFC Next Weekend in Phoenix

So Anik's getting first crack at Goldie's job.

It's an FS1 Fight Night, so Anik would be doing the commentary for this particular show anyway, but Dana said that he hoped to have the deal with Goldberg's replacement done by July, which I expect will mean Anik will do it until then.

• Like 1

why get rid of goldberg now if they won't have a replacement until july?

I'm guessing either he chose to leave, or more likely, his contract was up at the end of the year, and they didn't want to renew if they were going to be replacing him.

I'm guessing either he chose to leave, or more likely, his contract was up at the end of the year, and they didn't want to renew if they were going to be replacing him.

Wrong

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/ufc-hires-new-commentator-extensive-wwe-history/105490

"UFC 207, on December 30, saw veteran commentator Mike Goldberg bow out. Having given the promotion nigh on 15 years of excellent service, there were many that took issue with the lack of a send-off for Goldberg.

The UFC has recruited a new face to sit in the commentary position outside the Octagon. The name will be recognisable to fans of WWE.

ESPN's Brett Okamoto has broken the news that former Smackdown presenter Todd Grisham had been hired as a FOX Sport 1 studio host and a play-by-play commentator. The 40-year-old will start off with UFC Fight Night events but could yet step up to pay-per-view events.

Edited by agtx

Wasn't the reason they canned Goldberg because WME didn't like the "WWE dynamic" between him and Rogan, whatever the hell that means. Then they go ahead and hire an ex WWE announcer. Wtf?  :blink:

Wasn't the reason they canned Goldberg because WME didn't like the "WWE dynamic" between him and Rogan, whatever the hell that means. Then they go ahead and hire an ex WWE announcer. Wtf?  :blink:

Grisham was at ESPN for almost as long as he was with WWE, and considering he was a lower level WWE announcer (he had a little over a year doing commentary on Smackdown, but was otherwise mostly doing backstage interviews, and commentary on the B shows), he's probably far more well known for his time at ESPN, especially since I believe he did some Sportscenter hosting, and during that time, he also did a lot of MMA coverage for them (he took over the MMA show that Anik was doing for ESPN when Anik left for the UFC), so his hire makes a lot of sense.

Veteran WWE / espn announcer Todd Grisham will be replacing broadcast and sidekick legend Mike Goldfarb starting at FN103.

So the first question for Todd is does he understand that baby leg kicks really hurt?

Veteran WWE / espn announcer Todd Grisham will be replacing broadcast and sidekick legend Mike Goldfarb starting at FN103.

So the first question for Todd is does he understand that baby leg kicks really hurt?

baby leg kicks > getting smashed over the head by a metal chair

Hope it ain't true

Still got my fingers crossed for a Joe & Bas team up.

That would be awful. They're both colour guys, and two colour guys, even two great ones, makes for dreadful commentary.

That would be awful. They're both colour guys, and two colour guys, even two great ones, makes for dreadful commentary.

I agree they probably wouldn't do as well in ratings but would be awesome for die hard fans. Having Joe is super knowledgeable about BJJ and more of the ground game aspect and Bas's knowledge of striking.

I agree they probably wouldn't do as well in ratings but would be awesome for die hard fans.

I'm not talking about ratings. I'm saying the quality of the commentary would be dreadful.

Now, if you paired those two with a proper play by play guy in a three man team, that could be something (though I prefer two man teams), but just those two as a pair would be terrible.

UFC hires from WWE:

First: Brock.

Second: Punk.

Third: Todd Grisham.

That's quite the trajectory.  Who's next?  James Ellsworth?

Edited by jonfw