Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

All Things Marvel & DC Thread: Venom Movie Review

Deadpool 2 Has Found Its Cable

12112282-10153598022922488-4973009832951

Josh Brolin has landed the role of Cable in Deadpool 2. He'll star in the sequel opposite Ryan Reynolds, who will reprise his role as Marvel's Merc with a Mouth, Wade Wilson, a.k.a. Deadpool.

Cable was co-created by Deadpool creator Rob Liefeld, along with Louise Simonson. He has often been paired with Deadpool as his grim, serious demeanor serves as the perfect foil to Deadpool's crude and zany humor. The duo headlined an ongoing comic book series, Cable & Deadpool, for 50 issues.

Atlanta star Zazie Beetz has also been cast in Deadpool 2. She will play Domino, a mutant with probability manipulation abilities that endows her with improbably good luck. In the Marvel Comics Universe, Domino was a member of Cable's mercenary crew, Six Pack, and one of his early love interests.

A little backstory on Cable if you've never heard of him.

In the Marvel Comics Universe, Cable's real name is Nathan Christopher Summers and he is the son of Scott Summers, Cyclops of the X-Men. As an infant, Nathan was infected with a techno-organic virus for which no cure or treatment exists as of the present day. To save his son's life, Cyclops sent him into the future, where the boy learned to use his telekinetic mutant gifts to control the spread of the disease, though his left arm was consumed and now appears metallic. In the future, Cable battled the mutant tyrant Apocalypse and later traveled back in time to try to stop his desolate future timeline from ever coming into existence, forming the paramilitary mutant group known as X-Force along the way.

Edited by Jolldan
  • Like 1

Thanos is going to be in Deadpool?

THIS IS YUGE!

17523191_10154690795573655_6253767023392

LOL

Never thought of him once as a contender but what a casting choice but damn this is perfect

josh-brolin-as-cable-unnamed-1-990212.jp

• Like 1

Dolph Lundgren Joins Aquaman

Dolph-Aquaman.jpg

Lundgren will star as King Nereus, the leader of a rival colony of Atlanteans called Xebel.

While the dominant assumption was that Nereus would be some sort of antagonist, there's a chance his role might not be so cut-and-dry, according to the film's director, James Wan.

When one journalist tweeted about the casting, referring to Lundgren being cast as "one of the villains" in the film, Wan quoted the tweet and provided a bit of clarification. According to the director, the role of Nereus in the film will be "not quite" a villain. 

This proves to be particularly interesting, considering the fact that Nereus' role in the comics is particularly antagonistic. But given the fact that Aquaman already includes two of the Atlantean Prince's greatest foes - Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) and Orm the Ocean Master (Patrick Wilson) - it makes sense for Nereus to be in the film in a different capacity. And given how little Nereus has appeared in past DC comics, his character might be one of the easiest of Aquaman lore to approach in a new way.

Edited by Jolldan
  • Like 1

krypton-tv-show-pilot-syfy.jpg

The Krypton series will follow Superman’s grandfather — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos. The Seg-El name is both a nod to Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel and a reference to John Byrne’s 1980s miniseries, “The World of Krypton.”

For some reason I can't find a good copy on youtube so click the link for the trailer.

http://players.brightcove.net/5083209771001/ByKyg8gh_default/index.html?videoId=5402413629001

Edited by Jolldan

krypton-tv-show-pilot-syfy.jpg

The Krypton series will follow Superman’s grandfather — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos. The Seg-El name is both a nod to Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel and a reference to John Byrne’s 1980s miniseries, “The World of Krypton.”

For some reason I can't find a good copy on youtube so click the link for the trailer.

http://players.brightcove.net/5083209771001/ByKyg8gh_default/index.html?videoId=5402413629001

Nice...

President of Marvel Studios Kevin Feige Discusses Marvel Phase 4

Talking to Collider, Feige suggested that, "as we get to [2018's Avengers] Infinity War there is a sense of a climax if not a conclusion to, by the time we’re at untitled Avengers 4, the 22 movies that will have encompassed the first three phases of the MCU. And what happens after that will be very different. I don’t know if it’s Phase 4, it might be a new thing."

Elsewhere in the same interview, he says, "We have an idea [of what the MCU looks like post-Infinity War], and it’s gonna be very, very different."

"Very, very different" could mean anything — an all-new lineup of heroes replacing the familiar faces entirely, a reboot from scratch with a different cast or something else equally dramatic, for example.

As a long-term comic book reader, however, it sounds very much like Marvel Studios is going to follow the same playbook that Marvel's comic book line has used for the last decade-plus, and use the oversized event storyline as an opportunity for a soft-reboot of its fictional universe.

From what we know for sure about Phase 4, it appears that Marvel has learned its lesson. When asked about the Phase 4 slate of films, Kevin Feige said, “Where we go after Avengers; what those 2020 films are, we’re pretty sure what those are going to be…but if I tell you that, we’re getting into spoilers.” Just as revealing 2017’s Thor: Ragnarok spoiled the fact that the God of Thunder would survive the events of Age of Ultron, revealing any of the phase 4 films risks spoiling any surprises that may come at the conclusion of Phase 3

So although Feige never confirmed this it sounds like many of the newest additions to The Avengers will be the ones hanging around. Chances are Dr Strange, Ant-Man & The Wasp, Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Spiderman will all make it in to phase 4.

But this raises the questions what other new characters will they introduce?

What characters are on your wish list for a big screen debut?

Here's mine

1. Nova

2. Moon Knight

3. Namor

4. Beta Ray Bill

5. The Sentry

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ2Hsig12h8

• Like 1

Beta Ray Bill sucks out loud, but I am definitely behind a Namor flick. I would really love it if he was introduced as an antagonist in the first two acts of an Avengers film and becoming an act three hero.

Nova would be cool, too, as he would help expand the interstellar MCU with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Especially if Marvel can buy back the rights to the FF and do Silver Surfer and Galactus right.

A little backstory on Cable if you've never heard of him.

In the Marvel Comics Universe, Cable's real name is Nathan Christopher Summers and he is the son of Scott Summers, Cyclops of the X-Men. As an infant, Nathan was infected with a techno-organic virus for which no cure or treatment exists as of the present day. To save his son's life, Cyclops sent him into the future, where the boy learned to use his telekinetic mutant gifts to control the spread of the disease, though his left arm was consumed and now appears metallic. In the future, Cable battled the mutant tyrant Apocalypse and later traveled back in time to try to stop his desolate future timeline from ever coming into existence, forming the paramilitary mutant group known as X-Force along the way.

Left out that his mother is a clone of Jean Grey and that the Legacy virus he's infected with renders the bulk of his power used up to control it. In an alternate timeline, he doesn't get the virus and becomes known as X-Man. With powers so high he was considered an omega level mutant. Plus more!

• Like 1

Left out that his mother is a clone of Jean Grey and that the Legacy virus he's infected with renders the bulk of his power used up to control it. In an alternate timeline, he doesn't get the virus and becomes known as X-Man. With powers so high he was considered an omega level mutant. Plus more!

Pretty sure Cable was never infected with the Legacy virus.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Cable was never infected with the Legacy virus.

Correct

Got mixed up. Cable's is the T-O virus or Techno-organic.

The legacy virus is actually a mutant (usually) killing virus released by Stryfe. Who is a clone of Cable that was raised by Apocalypse but has the full power of his abilities like X-Man does.

• Like 1

Correct

Got mixed up. Cable's is the T-O virus or Techno-organic.

The legacy virus is actually a mutant (usually) killing virus released by Stryfe. Who is a clone of Cable that was raised by Apocalypse but has the full power of his abilities like X-Man does.

Yeah, the whole Cable situation is crazy complicated. I hope they pare it down and simplify it for the film.

• Like 1

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 Spoiler Review!!!

All and all this was a strong second outing for the Guardians, it wasn't as good as the first one but it does very well in continuing to build the universe and expand on the existing character while adding some new ones.

Drax and Mantis felt like they were both serving as the comic relief and while Drax had some really funny moments "DIE SPACESHIP!!!" comes to mind lol. Mantis felt very forgettable they will need to expand her story if she is sticking with the team for volume 3.

Baby Groot was impossibly cute its crazy to think that a cgi character with less lines and less screen time than the previous films can be so entertaining he's really a credit to the guys behind the effects. I really hope we get teen Groot next time.

Rocket is his usual funny self, he probably has the best comedic lines throughout the movie. Its nice that they also show that he's not a **** for the fun of it he does it to stop people from getting close. The scene where Yondu makes him realise it is great.

Gamora & Nebula serve as a double act in this film their story is very much of them being sisters and trying to forgive one another for previous events. This seemed the much better route for Gamora than just playing Quill's romantic interest. Gillian is awesome as Nebula in this movie she makes the turn from villain to anti-hero so maybe she will join the team one day.

Pratt's Starlord felt slightly underutilized in this film, I think that comes from the fact that since this was the sequel they had to flesh out the rest of the team more. It did feel like him and Kurt Russell had good chemistry though.

Kurt Russell as Ego was great. I have heard a lot of hardcore comic fans say "you seen it coming that he was going to be a villain". I don't buy that if you are majorly in to the comics you were likely going to know that Ego was a villain because 9/10 of he is. I liked the route they went with Ego wanting to spread all over the galaxy and I kind of wish he hadn't been killed simply because it would have left a lot more open.

The standout performance of the movie by far has to go to Michael Rooker as Yondu. In the first and second act he is good but in the third he quite simply steals the movie. I was sad they killed him off but glad that you didn't see it coming. Its nice how they eventually reveal that it wasn't simply because he made a good thief that Yondu kept Quill but that he cared for him. He also had two of the best moments of the movie.

Yondu "He may have been your father boy, but he wasn't your daddy.

[Yondu is floating in the air, hanging on his arrow]
Peter Quill: You're like Mary Poppins.
Yondu: Was he cool?
[pause]
Peter Quill: Yeah, he was cool.
Yondu: I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

8/10

Guardians Of The Galaxy After Credits Scene's

After credits scene's have become a staple of the MCU they set up future films, give nods to source material or sometime are just plane silly. We got a combination of all three in the after credits scenes in GOTG2

Stan Lee & The Watchers
While nobody in the cinema had any idea what was going on I found it hilarious. This to my knowledge was just a nod to a massive fan theory than in the MCU Stan Lee is actually a Watcher as he has appeared in every film.

The OG Guardians Of The Galaxy
One of the scenes show Stallone's Starhawk and other members of the original Guardian's of the Galaxy team and we the guardians are no stranger to time travel. So the its not impossible to think Yondu could be back although very unlikely as you can't see Stallone signing on for a big contract is a supporting role.

James Gunn Practicing With Yondu's Arrow
Sean Gunn’s Kraglin practicing with Yondu’s whistle-arrow and making a pincushion out of Drax was funny and nice to see that Sean Gunn will likely now be sticking with the guardians.

The Sovereign's & Adam
By far the most important of the after credits scene's. We see Kismet talking about creating the perfect man/being she calls him Adam. This confirms one possibly two things. We will be seeing Adam Warlock get his first big screen debut in GOTG3. He's also one of Thanos biggest enemies so how the Guardian's and The Avengers will connect is finally becoming clearer.

Second is the soul stone. The last of the infinity stones. And I may be wrong only getting to see it for a couple seconds but it looks like the soul stone was powering Adam Warlock's cocoon. It would make sense since Warlock has a major connection to the soul stone in the comics. So if im correct now every infinity stone is accounted for.

Edited by Jolldan

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 Spoiler Review!!!

All and all this was a strong second outing for the Guardians, it wasn't as good as the first one but it does very well in continuing to build the universe and expand on the existing character while adding some new ones.

Drax and Mantis felt like they were both serving as the comic relief and while Drax had some really funny moments "DIE SPACESHIP!!!" comes to mind lol. Mantis felt very forgettable they will need to expand her story if she is sticking with the team for volume 3.

Baby Groot was impossibly cute its crazy to think that a cgi character with less lines and less screen time than the previous films can be so entertaining he's really a credit to the guys behind the effects. I really hope we get teen Groot next time.

Rocket is his usual funny self, he probably has the best comedic lines throughout the movie. Its nice that they also show that he's not a **** for the fun of it he does it to stop people from getting close. The scene where Yondu makes him realise it is great.

Gamora & Nebula serve as a double act in this film their story is very much of them being sisters and trying to forgive one another for previous events. This seemed the much better route for Gamora than just playing Quill's romantic interest. Gillian is awesome as Nebula in this movie she makes the turn from villain to anti-hero so maybe she will join the team one day.

Pratt's Starlord felt slightly underutilized in this film, I think that comes from the fact that since this was the sequel they had to flesh out the rest of the team more. It did feel like him and Kurt Russell had good chemistry though.

Kurt Russell as Ego was great. I have heard a lot of hardcore comic fans say "you seen it coming that he was going to be a villain". I don't buy that if you are majorly in to the comics you were likely going to know that Ego was a villain because 9/10 of he is. I liked the route they went with Ego wanting to spread all over the galaxy and I kind of wish he hadn't been killed simply because it would have left a lot more open.

The standout performance of the movie by far has to go to Michael Rooker as Yondu. In the first and second act he is good but in the third he quite simply steals the movie. I was sad they killed him off but glad that you didn't see it coming. Its nice how they eventually reveal that it wasn't simply because he made a good thief that Yondu kept Quill but that he cared for him. He also had two of the best moments of the movie.

Yondu "He may have been your father boy, but he wasn't your daddy.

[Yondu is floating in the air, hanging on his arrow]

Peter Quill: You're like Mary Poppins.

Yondu: Was he cool?

[pause]

Peter Quill: Yeah, he was cool.

Yondu: I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

8/10

Guardians Of The Galaxy After Credits Scene's

After credits scene's have become a staple of the MCU they set up future films, give nods to source material or sometime are just plane silly. We got a combination of all three in the after credits scenes in GOTG2Stan Lee & The Watchers

While nobody in the cinema had any idea what was going on I found it hilarious. This to my knowledge was just a nod to a massive fan theory than in the MCU Stan Lee is actually a Watcher as he has appeared in every film.The OG Guardians Of The Galaxy

One of the scenes show Stallone's Starhawk and other members of the original Guardian's of the Galaxy team and we the guardians are no stranger to time travel. So the its not impossible to think Yondu could be back although very unlikely as you can't see Stallone signing on for a big contract is a supporting role.James Gunn Practicing With Yondu's Arrow

Sean Gunn’s Kraglin practicing with Yondu’s whistle-arrow and making a pincushion out of Drax was funny and nice to see that Sean Gunn will likely now be sticking with the guardians.The Sovereign's & Adam

By far the most important of the after credits scene's. We see Kismet talking about creating the perfect man/being she calls him Adam. This confirms one possibly two things. We will be seeing Adam Warlock get his first big screen debut in GOTG3. He's also one of Thanos biggest enemies so how the Guardian's and The Avengers will connect is finally becoming clearer.

Second is the soul stone. The last of the infinity stones. And I may be wrong only getting to see it for a couple seconds but it looks like the soul stone was powering Adam Warlock's cocoon. It would make sense since Warlock has a major connection to the soul stone in the comics. So if im correct now every infinity stone is accounted for.

I couldn't have said it better tbh. All this ^ is what stood out to me. Agreed with everything, even the score. The opening credits might have set the bar a little too high as some scenes dragged a bit in the middle but Yondu and Drax stole the show. The Mary Poppins line and some of Drax's subtle humor killed me.

• Like 1

I also agree with most of the GoG2 review, although I think I liked it even better than the 1st one, which I liked a lot. Our theater actually had a double feature of both movies back to back in 3D and that's what we went to

• Like 3

I LOVED Guardians 2. Some of the stuff with Ego, as badass as it was for a comic fan, didn't really work from a filmmaking standpoint in my opinion but that's okay, still amazing. I might even have liked it better than Guardians 1. I'll have to see both again before I make that judgement. The post-credits scenes are awesome(Adam Warlock FTW)

I was hoping for the Soul Stone to show up at some point since it's the last infinity stone but I guess it'll show up in Thor somewhere. Or maybe Infinity War Part 1 will be all about Thanos trying to get the other stones and find the Soul Stone on Earth or something. It'll be interesting to see for sure. 

• Like 1

I LOVED Guardians 2. Some of the stuff with Ego, as badass as it was for a comic fan, didn't really work from a filmmaking standpoint in my opinion but that's okay, still amazing. I might even have liked it better than Guardians 1. I'll have to see both again before I make that judgement. The post-credits scenes are awesome(Adam Warlock FTW)

I was hoping for the Soul Stone to show up at some point since it's the last infinity stone but I guess it'll show up in Thor somewhere. Or maybe Infinity War Part 1 will be all about Thanos trying to get the other stones and find the Soul Stone on Earth or something. It'll be interesting to see for sure.

I'm not sure but i thought it looked like it could possibly be the soul stone powering Adam Warlocks cacoon but you don't get a long enough look to be sure. Don't know much about the character but I know he's usually has a connection to the soul stone I think.

What are all of your favorite comic book movies?... Mine are The Crow and The Punisher Warzone

Sin City

V for Vendetta

D1ck Tracy

Edited by Ozpride
  • Like 2

What are all of your favorite comic book movies?... Mine are The Crow and The Punisher Warzone

Hard to pick but in particular order mine would be

1. The Dark Knight

2. The Watchmen

3. The Avengers

• Like 2

Road to perdition and A history of violence are both great comic movies that dont follow the superhero mould

• Like 1

The Crow was good when I was an angsty emo teenager. Now I have grown up it is as cringey as the Twilight films.

Do you have to be an andsty emo teenager to like it? :(
  • Like 1

Most people hate it but League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was epic

I wanted to like it but its a massive letdown if youve read Alan Moores original

• Like 2

I wanted to like it but its a massive letdown if youve read Alan Moores original

Yeah I had never read any of the books I think it was more just the concept I thought was pretty cool but I do remember it was panned by the critics.

• Like 2

Hard to pick but in particular order mine would be

1. The Dark Knight

I know I am going to get a ton of hate for this but I honestly thought Jack Nicholson was a better Joker than Heath
  • Like 2

I know I am going to get a ton of hate for this but I honestly thought Jack Nicholson was a better Joker than Heath

I tend not to really compare any of the jokers. They were both perfectly suited for the time and tone of the movie.

If someone asked me who I liked more out of Heath and Jack id probably pick heath but that's just because I tend to enjoy darker incarnations of Joker.

• Like 2

I tend not to really compare any of the jokers. They were both perfectly suited for the time and tone of the movie.

If someone asked me who I liked more out of Heath and Jack id probably pick heath but that's just because I tend to enjoy darker incarnations of Joker.

That makes sense.. I do too but I honestly would have liked Jonny Depp as the Joker
  • Like 2

That makes sense.. I do too but I honestly would have liked Jonny Depp as the Joker

Depp would have been great. William Dafoe would have been my pick he looks like he's been ripped right out of the Arkham games.

Willem-Dafoe-cast-as-the-Joker.png

• Like 2

1. Civil War

2. Guardians 1

3. Dark Knight

Yeah, i can get behind this list

• Like 2

I wish they'd do a new Spawn movie, though

• Like 4