Photo

Newly Declassified Videos Show US Testing Nuclear Weapons and Their Phenomenal Power

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

The US government has declassified hundreds of films of nuclear weapon tests conducted between 1945 and 1962.

The chilling videos, shot at the height of the Cold War when the arms race was at its fiercest, have just been shared on YouTube in an attempt to preserve footage found rotting in high security vaults.

The American Lawrence Livermore Laboratory conducted 210 nuclear weapons tests across New Mexico, Nevada and both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans between 1945 and 1962.

Its weapon physicist Greg Spriggs and a team of archivists have been hunting down, scanning and declassifying these decomposing films before it is too late.

To date, the team has located around 6,500 of the estimated 10,000 films created during atmospheric above-ground testing.

Around 4,200 films have so far been scanned, 400 to 500 have been reanalyzed and around 750 have been declassified.

Video is playing up on my computer so just put the two videos in case one doesn't work.

Edited by Jolldan, 17 March 2017 - 08:52 AM.

• sobercuban, WarWest® and TheSinisterUrge like this

#2 Beach_Boy_Cymry

Beach_Boy_Cymry
  • Free
  • 297 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

It is the ones they are not showing us that is worrying me. 

• WarWest® and cashfl0w like this

Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood.

The Original LP

#3 Fred_Flink_Stoned

Fred_Flink_Stoned

FFS

• Free
  • 3,925 posts
  • LocationAmsterdamned

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

I would love to show MY mushroom to the people responsible for this

412886388.jpg

#4 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Champion of the Fora

• Free
  • 37,690 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

It is the ones they are not showing us that is worrying me. 

I think the ones we're not seeing are more likely to be malfunctions than some sort of special weapon they're hiding.

Champion of Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-6-2 (+60)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#5 Beach_Boy_Cymry

Beach_Boy_Cymry
  • Free
  • 297 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

Hopefully. The worst one is that big scary thing the Russians supposedly have that has a huge blast radius, big enough to flatten Texas. It just feels a matter of when, not if. Last few months I have been looking into moving to St Helena or Pitcairn.  Somewhere remote in the Southern Hemisphere. 

• WarWest® likes this

The Original LP

#6 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Champion of the Fora

• Free
  • 37,690 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hopefully. The worst one is that big scary thing the Russians supposedly have that has a huge blast radius, big enough to flatten Texas. It just feels a matter of when, not if. Last few months I have been looking into moving to St Helena or Pitcairn.  Somewhere remote in the Southern Hemisphere. 

Don't be alarmed. Just use your common sense.

Media insists Russia, and Putin personally, wanted to help Trump win. Why would we go to war with them? Also, we don't have the president who is insistent on pushing a Muslim uprising in the ME, more specifically Syria, where Russia has grown tired of us, so I don't see any way a conflict can even potentially arise.

• Eclipse76 and TheSinisterUrge like this
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png

amazin

#7 sobercuban

sobercuban

TBE

• Moderators
  • 48,879 posts
  • LocationThe Fertitta Mansion

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Not even the Tsar Bomba would make a dent in an area the size of Texas.  A 30 mile or so radius would be pretty destroyed but still, Texas is far too big, 268,581 square miles. It would be like a mosquito biting an elephant.  I doubt there is even enough combined fissile material possessed by mankind that could take out Texas, it's just silly. 

Unless Russia has an Meteor on standby, which they don't, I don't think you need to worry about moving to the middle of nowhere.

• Eclipse76, poonmachine, WarWest® and 3 others like this

post-406774-0-12678100-1439418105.gif

post-406774-0-05914100-1428435713.jpg

#8 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Champion of the Fora

• Free
  • 37,690 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Not even the Tsar Bomba would make a dent in an area the size of Texas.  A 30 mile or so radius would be pretty destroyed but still, Texas is far too big, 268,581 square miles. It would be like a mosquito biting an elephant.  I doubt there is even enough combined fissile material possessed by mankind that could take out Texas, it's just silly. 

Unless Russia has an Meteor on standby, which they don't, I don't think you need to worry about moving to the middle of nowhere.

The fear is real. 

Then people wonder why Trump rails on about the media. ^^It's because people end up hiding in their closets shaking in fear. lol

• Eclipse76, poonmachine and sobercuban like this

amazin

#9 Omoplataypus

Omoplataypus

Still Kelvins #1 fan, he'll be back

• Free
  • 13,648 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

Not even the Tsar Bomba would make a dent in an area the size of Texas. A 30 mile or so radius would be pretty destroyed but still, Texas is far too big, 268,581 square miles. It would be like a mosquito biting an elephant. I doubt there is even enough combined fissile material possessed by mankind that could take out Texas, it's just silly.

Science'd
  • Eclipse76, sobercuban, WarWest® and 1 other like this

!!! WAR KELGOAT The uncrowned WW champ
!!! WAR WEIDMAN The most complete MW ever
!!! WAR RUMBLE The next two division champ
!!! WAR SAUNDERS The Omoplata King
Check out my Youtube channel here-
https://www.youtube....downey73/videos

#10 Beach_Boy_Cymry

Beach_Boy_Cymry
  • Free
  • 297 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

http://edition.cnn.c...issile-satan-2/

• WarWest® likes this

The Original LP

#11 sobercuban

sobercuban

TBE

• Moderators
  • 48,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

I refer you to my previous statement.  

Read the damn wiki:

Weight Over 100 tonnes

Warhead is 10-24 MIRVs[1] (various type and yield; At the maximum reported throw-weight of up 10,000kg, the missile could deliver a 50 Mt charge (the maximum theoretical yield-to-weight ratio is about 6 megatons of TNT per metric ton, and the maximum achieved ratio was apparently 5.2 megatons of TNT per metric ton in B/Mk-41).

The max reported throw-weight is 10,000kg.  Max yield 50 mt divided over 10-24 warheads that could target independently.  Hell, with the impossible chance each of those MIRVs is 50mt (it's not) it still wouldn't come close to destroying the entire state.

• WarWest® and TheSinisterUrge like this

#12 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 36,370 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

I know this is beyond many of the monkey-level intellects here but nuclear weapons haven't been designed to kill with blast for decades. 

In fact blast is considered a peaceful aspect of these weapons, as it can be used to create peaceful and useful things like deep harbours. You would of course use low yield weapons fort that task. 

For killing something like Texas you would use ultra high yield weapons that would irradiate all life in the area. What used to be called neutron bombs. They are detonated in the atmosphere and have literally zero blast. You don't want to destroy the valuable infrastructure. You want to kill all the people and use the infrastructure yourself. 

• WarWest® likes this

CB for Mod - make the forum great again - keep those kids off your lawn

#13 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 36,370 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Also the unitary warhead has also been replaced by the mirv, where a single weapon is launched and deploys several independent weapons which rain down in various patterns that are engineered to maximize damage. 

You don't just drop a big bomb one a single target anymore. Far too wasteful.

• sobercuban likes this

#14 sobercuban

sobercuban

TBE

• Moderators
  • 48,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

I know this is beyond many of the monkey-level intellects here but nuclear weapons haven't been designed to kill with blast for decades. 

In fact blast is considered a peaceful aspect of these weapons, as it can be used to create peaceful and useful things like deep harbours. You would of course use low yield weapons fort that task. 

For killing something like Texas you would use ultra high yield weapons that would irradiate all life in the area. What used to be called neutron bombs. They are detonated in the atmosphere and have literally zero blast. You don't want to destroy the valuable infrastructure. You want to kill all the people and use the infrastructure yourself. 

Uhh neutron bombs most certainly DO have a blast.  The idea that there is "literally no blast" is complete science fiction.  

But that's beside the point considering that we are discussing the Satan-2 ICBM which is NOT a neutron bomb.   Also the point of contention is that such a device would "destroy" and area the size of Texas, not "wipe out life through radiation".  

Let's go to wiki:

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Neutron_bomb

Although neutron bombs are commonly believed to "leave the infrastructure intact", with current designs that have explosive yields in the low kiloton range,[44]detonation in (or above) a built-up area would still cause a sizable degree of building destruction, through blast and heat effects out to a moderate radius, albeit considerably less destruction, than when compared to a standard nuclear bomb of the exact same total energy release or "yield".[45]

Here's one more quote from the article:

Effects

Upon detonation, a near-ground airburst of a 1 kiloton neutron bomb would produce a large blast wave and a powerful pulse of both thermal radiation and ionizing radiation, and non-ionizing radiation in the form of fast (14.1 MeV) neutrons. The thermal pulse would cause third degree burns to unprotected skin out to approximately 500 meters. The blast would create at least 4.6 psi out to a radius of 600 meters, which would severely damage all non-reinforced concrete structures. At the conventional effective combat range against modern main battle tanks and armored personnel carriers (< 690–900 m), the blast from a 1 kt neutron bomb would destroy or damage to the point of non-usability almost all un-reinforced civilian buildings.

So even with low kiloton yields there is still "a sizable degree of building destruction, through blast and heat effects".  You're blathering about "Ultra-high yield" bombs that somehow have zero explosion of any kind and release enough radiation to kill off life but leave the infrastructure somehow usable and radiation free? Okay.  

#15 sobercuban

sobercuban

TBE

• Moderators
  • 48,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

Also the unitary warhead has also been replaced by the mirv, where a single weapon is launched and deploys several independent weapons which rain down in various patterns that are engineered to maximize damage. 

You don't just drop a big bomb one a single target anymore. Far too wasteful.

We ARE talking about MIRVs, this Missile being discussed can be outfitted with anywhere from 10-24.  

• WarWest® likes this

#16 sobercuban

sobercuban

TBE

• Moderators
  • 48,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

post-406774-0-89049300-1489858175.jpg

Here's what an airburst 100-megaton bomb would do to Texas.  No device of this size has been tested, ever.  This is double the yield of the Satan-2.  

Below is the same blast above London to give a better sense of scale:

post-406774-0-37040100-1489858336.jpg

Attached Files

#17 sobercuban

sobercuban

TBE

• Moderators
  • 48,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

But Cage, to your point, the kind of device you described would be infinitely preferable, strategically, to a conventional nuclear bomb.  I just don't believe at this point man has the ability to produce such a device that would yield the desired reults.  

At the same time I don't feel like I'd be any less dead in the event of a nuclear war of any kind.

#18 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 36,370 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

I don't really think nuclear is the leading edge of destruction anymore. Biological agents are far more deadly and can be made to order with genetic engineering. 

As far as needing actual physical destruction of things like roads and buildings conventional payloads are plenty good enough. The whole concept of vaporizing vast areas of your enemies country and vast numbers of people is passe. Can you generate that much destruction? Sure. But you can achieve your goals without doing it.

Edited by UFCCagerattler, 19 March 2017 - 09:38 AM.

• sobercuban and TheSinisterUrge like this

#19 sobercuban

sobercuban

TBE

• Moderators
  • 48,879 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

I don't really think nuclear is the leading edge of destruction anymore. Biological agents are far more deadly and can be made to order with genetic engineering. 

As far as needing actual physical destruction of things like roads and buildings conventional payloads are plenty good enough. The whole concept of vaporizing vast areas of your enemies country and vast numbers of people is passe. Can you generate that much destruction? Sure. But you can achieve your goals without doing it.

Yeah the thought of a global pandemic is terrifying.  The book The Stand by Stephen King scared the **** out of me, not the whole "dark man" stuff but the plague outbreak.  

• TheSinisterUrge likes this

#20 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 36,370 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

its the threat going forward

the nutjobs are going to get their hands on some deadly **** and wipe out a bunch people

#21 sobercuban

sobercuban

TBE

• Moderators
  • 48,879 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

its the threat going forward

the nutjobs are going to get their hands on some deadly **** and wipe out a bunch people

I really really hope some jihadi doesn't set off a backpack nuke anywhere though, not with Tronald Dump at the helm