25 replies to this topic

#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

xTae-Hyun-Bang.png.pagespeed.ic.i9-PHSPt

Back in November of 2015, Tae Hyun Bang stepped onto the canvas with Leo Kuntz. He did so on the undercard of a UFC Fight Night in Seoul, in his native South Korea.

In the end, Bang and Kuntz’s fight went down as a fairly forgettable one, with Bang earning a close, split decision win. The final hours before this fight, however, stand out in the memory as some seriously suspect ones.

If you had your finger on the pulse of the fight game back then, you’ll remember that, in the hours leading up to Bang and Kuntz’s fights, there was a massive swing in the odds in Kuntz’s favor. This wasn’t a small, last-minute change, but an unprecedented transformation in the odds, which immediately raised eyebrows amongst the more discerning members of the MMA community.

While there was no way to prove that we were witnessing the signs of fight-fixing at the time, it sure seemed that way. It seemed as though somebody, or perhaps many people, with inside knowledge of the situation – knowing perhaps that Bang was badly injured or that he was going  to throw the fight – were putting massive sums down on Kuntz. This drastically changed the complexion of the betting odds, as they were adjusted to reflect new confidence in a Kuntz win.

There were red flags everywhere.

But then Bang won the fight, which immediately clashed with all of the fight-fixing accusations that had burbled to the surface in the buildup to his fight. The odds had swung in Kuntz’s favor, which meant that if anybody was going to throw the fight, it was going to be Bang. But he won, and so suddenly, there was far less reason to cry fix.

As it turns out, however, anyone who was skeptical of the massive odds swing in the buildup to this fight was right. This week, it has been reported by multiple sources that a nameless South Korean UFC fighter is currently involved in a police investigation stemming from this card. BJPenn.com’s Chris Taylor has confirmed with a source with knowledge of the situation that this fighter is indeed Tae Hyun Bang. Taylor also acquired some new details on the situation.

In the buildup to the fight, Bang got involved with some gangsters, who convinced him to throw the fight. These gangsters, who the South Korean police are calling “gambling brokers”, then bet a massive 200 million Won (roughly $176,000 USD) on Kuntz. Bang, meanwhile, was paid 100 million Won to take the fall. He then bet half of this sum (roughly $44,000 USD) on Kuntz. All in all, it is estimated that the nefarious parties involved in this underhanded betting scandal wagered close to $2 million USD on Kuntz. This massive betting on Kuntz is what swung the odds so significantly in his favor.

Unsurprisingly, this shady, last-minute odds-shift caught the attention of the UFC, who quickly began questioning Bang. Realizing that he was essentially screwed either way, Bang then decided to fight to win, rather than throw the fight. The result of this change of heart was his split decision defeat of Kuntz.

In the fallout of this ugly ordeal, Bang has reportedly received multiple death threats from the shadowy villains who pushed him into taking a fall, who are unsurprisingly not pleased that he didn’t hold up his end of the deal. As a result, he has come clean to South Korean police, and is now embroiled in an investigation surrounding the incident.

Since this incident occurred, Bang has fought once more, giving up a decision to Nick Hein. The UFC has not yet commented on the situation, but given that this is the first verifiable instance of fight fixing in the promotion’s history, they’re bound to release a statement soon.

Edited by Jolldan, 19 April 2017 - 06:17 AM.

• Eclipse76 and nickbastos like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#2 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,040 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

The UFC has not yet commented on the situation, but given that this is the first verifiable instance of fight fixing in the promotion’s history, they’re bound to release a statement soon.

I'd call it more attempted fight fixing than an actual verifiable instance of fight fixing since, at the end of the day, the fight wasn't actually fixed. The guy fought to win.

• GN_FDU likes this

#3 juice64011

juice64011
  • Moderators
  • 24,627 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

Bang is about to be sent back to M-1
  • Eclipse76 likes this

MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 4 Champion
Official JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion

UFC Prediction Tournament 18:TUF Champion

#4 -idyb-

-idyb-

💉 💉 💉 💉 💉 💉

• Free
  • 5,880 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

This week, it has been reported by multiple sources that a nameless South Korean UFC fighter is currently involved in a police investigation stemming from this card. BJPenn.com’s Chris Taylor has confirmed with a source with knowledge of the situation that this fighter is indeed Tae Hyun Bang.

so it's official. Tae Hyun Bang is a confirmed can.

Edited by mousasi_the_GOAT, 19 April 2017 - 06:38 AM.

• Eclipse76 and GN_FDU like this

#5 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

Let Bang bang, bro

Edited by amunera, 19 April 2017 - 06:37 AM.

• Eclipse76, GN_FDU, SavageTC and 4 others like this

Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#6 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:39 AM

Sounds like some Pulp Fiction / Daredevil ****

3vzbFMh.jpg

#7 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

2016's Award Winner Winner Top 25 Rankings President

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:39 AM

That can Kuntz got double dipped by an Asian who tried to throw the fight.

As the great JP would say, you can't make this chit up!

Edited by GURU|Cole, 19 April 2017 - 06:40 AM.

• The_Chris_Slept_My_Boy, BABA_JI, cashfl0w and 1 other like this

#8 -idyb-

-idyb-

💉 💉 💉 💉 💉 💉

• Free
  • 5,880 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:44 AM

bang kuntz

now thats a headliner.

• Eclipse76 and Fred_Flink_Stoned like this

#9 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Do you see what happens, Larry?

• Ultimate
  • 46,494 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:51 AM

LDD and I called this when it happened, and I definitely said this dude was going to disappear when he won the fight. lol

Sure enough. This idiot will be missing before too long.

• McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO, Banham, LayDownDead and 1 other like this
Champion of Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-7-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#10 IRT.

IRT.

LEAFS NATION MOFOS

• Free
  • 24,394 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

I'm sure theres' been fight fixes in the past, in the UFC, outside the managements knowledge

If I was getting paid 10/10 and some outside resources offered me bank to flop I might just flop inside 1 round

IRT/

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/
giphy.gif

#11 Fred_Flink_Stoned

Fred_Flink_Stoned

FFS

• Free
  • 4,957 posts
  • LocationAmsterdamned

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:57 AM

love to bang those fookin Kuntz

• IRT., GN_FDU, xFINISHxHIMx and 1 other like this

413575054.jpg

#12 nickbastos

nickbastos
  • Free
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

This is huge.

UFC should cut Bang.

#13 -idyb-

-idyb-

💉 💉 💉 💉 💉 💉

• Free
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

if anything it might just draw more interest in the fighter and more interest = more money

with the way the ufc has been turning mma from a sport into a spectacle, if bang gets any more notoriety from this i wouldnt be surprised if the ufc hands him out a title shot.

Edited by mousasi_the_GOAT, 19 April 2017 - 07:10 AM.

#14 PunchBag

PunchBag

Take Your Best Shot..

• Free
  • 12,777 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

cant hate on bang, he didnt fight a fixed fight, he actually said **** u and fought to win. Those gangsters lost 2 million dollars asnd bang maintained his reputation in tact, even risking his life in process. He still lost though but not in the way the gangsters had bet on.

Edited by PunchBag, 19 April 2017 - 07:29 AM.

brZ51I9.jpg

#15 juice64011

juice64011
  • Moderators
  • 24,627 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

cant hate on bang, he didnt fight a fixed fight, he actually said **** u and fought to win. Those gangsters lost 2 million dollars asnd bang maintained his reputation in tact, even risking his life in process. He still lost though but not in the way the gangsters had bet on.

He most likely would have thrown the fight if he wasn't questioned by the UFC though. He bailed to save his career.
  • Yerbo, Eclipse76 and nickbastos like this

#16 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

He most likely would have thrown the fight if he wasn't questioned by the UFC though. He bailed to save his career.

This ^^^

I bet the gangsters scared him but not as much as all the athletic commission and ufc brass that could find him a hell of a lot easier.

Hard to pull a Houdini as you are leaving the cage.

• Eclipse76 likes this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#17 xFINISHxHIMx

xFINISHxHIMx

UNDISPUTED EA UFC 2 FORUM CHAMPION

• Free
  • 36,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

PoS

I'm not the best… I just believe that I can do things that people think are impossible.

And at least I am no former Junkie that is all that matters.

#18 PunchBag

PunchBag

Take Your Best Shot..

• Free
  • 12,777 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

dont know that for sure, though what we do know is he did the right thing

brZ51I9.jpg

#19 juice64011

juice64011
  • Moderators
  • 24,627 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

We know that he was paid to lose a fight and bet against himself. According to the article he didn't change his mind until after he was questioned by the UFC.
  • Eclipse76 likes this

#20 Yerbo

Yerbo
  • Free
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

I'd call it more attempted fight fixing than an actual verifiable instance of fight fixing since, at the end of the day, the fight wasn't actually fixed. The guy fought to win.

hahah..I sure hope you aren't saying this doesn't matter. Because planning a crime is pretty much as bad as succeeding in a lot of cases. Bang might be in slightly less dire straights than if he'd gone through with it but the gangsters who organized it are just as screwed as if they'd succeeded.

#21 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,040 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

hahah..I sure hope you aren't saying this doesn't matter.

No, not at all, but I do think there's different levels of severity to "planned to do something, but didn't", and "actually did the thing", and the way that last section was phrased made it sound more like the latter than the former.

My issue was just the wording.

#22 LayDownDead

LayDownDead

FIGHT WEEK MAGNY WEEK

• Free
  • 7,254 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

LDD and I called this when it happened, and I definitely said this dude was going to disappear when he won the fight. lol

Sure enough. This idiot will be missing before too long.

This is just another example of when cash and LDD both have a take, it can't be wrong!

• Banham and cashfl0w like this

"Neil Magny's striking is literally perfect" - Dana White

"Neil Magny could out box Floyd Mayweather" - Edmond Tarverdyan

#23 UFCCagerattler

UFCCagerattler
  • Free
  • 38,591 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Bang/Kuntz?

Seriously?

#24 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:40 AM

UPDATE

Speaking to a source close to the situation, BJPenn.com’s Chris Taylor has learned that one other UFC fighter was approached by the same mysterious gambling brokers that approached Bang. This fighter was also encouraged to throw their fight. The identity of this fighter is not yet known. It is also not known if they accepted the bribe. Bang, however, is not the only fighter involved in this scandal.

Furthermore, the weighty tone of this whole ordeal has driven the South Korean police to take drastic action. Bang and the other currently unknown fighter have been barred from leaving the country. So too has one former fighter, who is believed to have orchestrated the meeting between these UFC fighters and the shadowy gambling brokers behind the ordeal. Finally, one additional person has been barred from leaving South Korea, as they are believed to be one of the brokers themselves. That’s a total of four people that are currently not allowed to leave the country as a result of this fight-fixing scandal.

• Eclipse76 and cashfl0w like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#25 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Do you see what happens, Larry?

• Ultimate
  • 46,494 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:43 AM

UPDATE

Speaking to a source close to the situation, BJPenn.com’s Chris Taylor has learned that one other UFC fighter was approached by the same mysterious gambling brokers that approached Bang. This fighter was also encouraged to throw their fight. The identity of this fighter is not yet known. It is also not known if they accepted the bribe. Bang, however, is not the only fighter involved in this scandal.

Furthermore, the weighty tone of this whole ordeal has driven the South Korean police to take drastic action. Bang and the other currently unknown fighter have been barred from leaving the country. So too has one former fighter, who is believed to have orchestrated the meeting between these UFC fighters and the shadowy gambling brokers behind the ordeal. Finally, one additional person has been barred from leaving South Korea, as they are believed to be one of the brokers themselves. That’s a total of four people that are currently not allowed to leave the country as a result of this fight-fixing scandal.

We all know Platinum Perry couldn't beat GOAT Knees without Lim throwing that fight. It's got to be him.

• Eclipse76, McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO and LayDownDead like this
Champion of Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-7-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#26 LayDownDead

LayDownDead

FIGHT WEEK MAGNY WEEK

• Free
  • 7,254 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

We all know Platinum Perry couldn't beat GOAT Knees without Lim throwing that fight. It's got to be him.

Little Dong also would never tap to a slam. This whole event was a work
  • cashfl0w likes this

"Neil Magny's striking is literally perfect" - Dana White

"Neil Magny could out box Floyd Mayweather" - Edmond Tarverdyan