Photo

New Jersey governor refuses to ban child marriage because 'it would conflict with religious customs'

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 LennyTheBat

LennyTheBat
  • Free
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

Bubba - you hinged your dismissal of my argument on the existence of extraordinary evidence that proves the Bible is the literal and authentic Word of God...

...let's have it, please.
  • Bubba_Sparks likes this

#52 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 23,170 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

Bubba - you hinged your dismissal of my argument on the existence of extraordinary evidence that proves the Bible is the literal and authentic Word of God...

...let's have it, please.

You'll have it lenny, but I've been out all night and just got in. I want to do your question justice so I'll post in the morning.
  • LennyTheBat likes this

Winning coach of 2016 Camps League - Team FRANKLIN

Chief of the Rich "Ace" Franklin fan-club

Founder of the welcoming/rehabillitation team

rich-franklin.jpg

#53 LennyTheBat

LennyTheBat
  • Free
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Not sure where i've altered my position?  My position is unchanged; when evil people do evil things, it's because they are evil and will use whatever necessary to justify that.  It might be a religious book, it might be a constitution, it might be tradition, but it's the people fundamentally that are the issue.

You've also pointed out that people also do misguided things because they are misguided, but i put that in a completely different category.  Misguided does not equal evil in my book.  If that's the "position" you're referring to, not sure it's a change, more an additional perspective i had not acknowledged previously.  

Your final paragraph is logically compelling, except it has one fundamental flaw.  There is highly compelling evidence for the authenticity of scripture.  Once that premise is removed, the argument falls apart.  What is very dangerous is where people blindly do things "because the bible says so" without understanding what it says, the context, the relevance etc. etc.  I still maintain that it's people who are the issue.  If we take your argument to a logical conclusion, we should ban any definitive perspective, ruling or moral law because innocent people are vulnerable to manipulation.  

I don't quite understand what you're saying (bold).  If I were asked to "take my argument to a logical conclusion" -- I would've said maybe kids have a right to make their own life choices and should not be indoctrinated before they are able to think for themselves.

#54 LennyTheBat

LennyTheBat
  • Free
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

You'll have it lenny, but I've been out all night and just got in. I want to do your question justice so I'll post in the morning.

tenor.gif

Edited by LennyTheBat, 19 May 2017 - 04:29 PM.

• amunera likes this