• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:17 AM

It seems like the new 10 point plan for weight cutting by the CSAC is here to attempt to even out the playing field. Stopping guys/girls from risking their health because of extremely severe weight cuts.

The point I found very interesting was number three.

3. Four additional weight classes – 165, 175, 195 and 225 pounds – to give athletes more choice.

The prospect that UFC could be interesting FOUR new men's weight classes. Let's not forget the UFC is still trying to set up a 125 division and trying to find fighters to sign to their 145 division for women.

So all together the UFC could have six new weight classes all being introduced around the same time. This seems like it could be a double edged sword, it will be good for the UFC in terms of headliners the more champions they have the more events they can put on. On the flip side I think the introduction of a 225 weight class could spread the already thin talent pools of LHW and HW even thinner. In the case of the 165 and 175 I welcome that decision, it feels like that the talent from Lightweight to Middleweight is enough to populate two more divisions.

Who do you see being champ's of the new weight classes?

Here's mine I will give my first and second pick on how.

165. 1st. Conor McGregor 2nd. Donald Cerrone

175. 1st. Kelvin Gastelum 2nd. Robert Whittaker

195. 1st. Gegard Mousasi 2nd. Yoel Romero

225. 1st. Jon Jones 2nd. Daniel Cormier

Who would you have? And do you think the new weight classes are a good idea?

Edited by Jolldan, 19 May 2017 - 01:24 AM.

• Eclipse76 likes this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#2 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 23,894 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

They're a horrible Idea since every weight gets a champ and an interim champ and it will discredit the existing classes too much.
  • GoToGuy and Jolldan like this

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION                 UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 14 CHAMPION

2015 CAMP LEAGUE CHAMPION                             P4P AUSSIE HYPE TRAIN CONTROLLER

v4MjFdj.png

#3 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:49 AM

They're a horrible Idea since every weight gets a champ and an interim champ and it will discredit the existing classes too much.

Like I said I think they could support 165-175 quite comfortably the other two I tend to agree with you.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#4 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 23,894 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:52 AM

Like I said I think they could support 165-175 quite comfortably the other two I tend to agree with you.

Why would you stretch WW out like that? Apart from right now it's had arguably the most popular champs and fighters, allowing a 5lb bounce either way WOUOD basically make 3 divisions at WW..

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION                 UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 14 CHAMPION

2015 CAMP LEAGUE CHAMPION                             P4P AUSSIE HYPE TRAIN CONTROLLER

v4MjFdj.png

#5 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 8,222 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:53 AM

at this point they may as well just give everybody a title belt

#6 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:00 AM

The solution is so simple that I do not get why they have not implemented it.

10% increases in weight classes, and 10% limit in what people are allowed to cut weight (California apparently is starting to do this.)

Starting from 125 the weight classes would be:

Value (rounded)

137.5 (140)

151.2 (150)

166.4 (165)

183 (185)

201 (205)

Basically, you mix featherweight and bantamweight and the rest remains very similar.

Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#7 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:03 AM

Why would you stretch WW out like that? Apart from right now it's had arguably the most popular champs and fighters, allowing a 5lb bounce either way WOUOD basically make 3 divisions at WW..

Think you have a lot of guys who kill themselves to make Lightweight who have either already moved up to Welterweight or will be forced by the new rules to do so that could occupy 165. Got to think probably quite a lot of guys competing at 170 who are quite undersized.

Same goes for the Middleweights and the 175 division.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#8 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

2016's Award Winner Winner Top 25 Rankings President

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:19 AM

These aren't mandated weight classes tho

The UFC said they won't implement these, at least not for the foreseeable future
  • Mcmax3000 likes this

#9 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:33 AM

These aren't mandated weight classes tho

The UFC said they won't implement these, at least not for the foreseeable future

Not immediately it would be a really dumb move for Dana to be like "we are launching another 4 weight classes all at once."

But they will need to address what weight class has the most guys struggling to make weight then consider introducing the closest of the new corresponding weight classes if they want to keep fighting in California.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#10 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:48 AM

Not immediately it would be a really dumb move for Dana to be like "we are launching another 4 weight classes all at once."

But they will need to address what weight class has the most guys struggling to make weight then consider introducing the closest of the new corresponding weight classes if they want to keep fighting in California.

It's just a test in Cali. If it doesn't work out they will scrap the new weight cutting protocols.

I still think they should cut 125lbs and have 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 205, 206+

#11 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:50 AM

It's just a test in Cali. If it doesn't work out they will scrap the new weight cutting protocols.

I still think they should cut 125lbs and have 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 205, 206+

How can you justify cutting a division that has one of the most dominant champions ever lol?

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#12 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:57 AM

How can you justify cutting a division that has one of the most dominant champions ever lol?

Because nobody cares about men that small. Some of these guys are legit midgets IRL. 135lbs is very small for a man, 125lbs is ridiculous. Let them fight at 135 and be done with this waste of a division.

#13 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:02 AM

Because nobody cares about men that small. Some of these guys are legit midgets IRL. 135lbs is very small for a man, 125lbs is ridiculous. Let them fight at 135 and be done with this waste of a division.

Yes they do other small guys.

I get that some people don't like the Flyweights and I can admit I have watched fights at Flyweight where I have been thinking my god this better pick up soon but that's hardly a reason to close the division.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#14 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:07 AM

Yes they do other small guys.

I get that some people don't like the Flyweights and I can admit I have watched fights at Flyweight where I have been thinking my god this better pick up soon but that's hardly a reason to close the division.

If other small guys care (trust me they don't) then why does 90% of the crowd leave the arena when the champ fights? The divisions never even broken 100k ppv buys... It's blatantly obvious that only a tiny fraction of the fanbase wants to watch 125lb men fight each other

Edited by GURU|Cole, 19 May 2017 - 03:08 AM.

#15 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:14 AM

If other small guys care (trust me they don't) then why does 90% of the crowd leave the arena when the champ fights? The divisions never even broken 100k ppv buys... It's blatantly obvious that only a tiny fraction of the fanbase wants to watch 125lb men fight each other

Can't say from personal experience but the arenas have never looked empty watching it on tv.

Johnson vs. Cariaso did 205,000 not great but I think Johnson has a much smaller audience because like you said not as many people want to see little guys fight.

• McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO likes this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#16 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

Can't say from personal experience but the arenas have never looked empty watching it on tv.

Johnson vs. Cariaso did 205,000 not great but I think Johnson has a much smaller audience because like you said not as many people want to see little guys fight.

So if not that many people want to see little guys fight, why keep the division? This is entertainment based, if people aren't being entertained, it seems rather silly to keep pushing a product people don't want.

#17 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:28 AM

So if not that many people want to see little guys fight, why keep the division? This is entertainment based, if people aren't being entertained, it seems rather silly to keep pushing a product people don't want.

Why keep the Flyweight to Atomweight classes in boxing? They aren't as popular, tend to not have many stars and tend to be less finishes but you get to see some of the best boxing there is at a super high pace.

I get the entertainment argument but it needs to be balanced with the sport aspect. Its the entertainment side of things that have gone to far that we have McGregor vs. Mayweather, CM Punk fighting and almost Bisping vs. GSP.

• McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO likes this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#18 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

Why keep the Flyweight to Atomweight classes in boxing? They aren't as popular, tend to not have many stars and tend to be less finishes but you get to see some of the best boxing there is at a super high pace.

I get the entertainment argument but it needs to be balanced with the sport aspect. Its the entertainment side of things that have gone to far that we have McGregor vs. Mayweather, CM Punk fighting and almost Bisping vs. GSP.

I hear Bisping vs GSP is still happening despite what Dana said

#19 Yesterdays_Hero

Yesterdays_Hero

Leader of The 5k Family

• Free
  • 34,147 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:39 AM

It's a terrible idea that the UFC would support so they can promote multi-weight champions like Boxing. The sooner the WMEIMG venture fails and the Fertitta's buy back at half price the better

1z3tcvc.jpg

OFFICIAL UFC FORUM +1 POSTER OF THE PREVIOUS TWO YEARS

#20 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:52 AM

I hear Bisping vs GSP is still happening despite what Dana said

Its all Bisping saying he is still expecting to fight him or saying he wasn't told personally or saying he's injured and is happy to weight for GSP.

I can't see it now, think Dana has realised George doesn't have quite the star power he used to and the fact there wasn't outrage everywhere from the fans when this fight was called off shows that the public wasn't that invested in it.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#21 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:03 AM

Its all Bisping saying he is still expecting to fight him or saying he wasn't told personally or saying he's injured and is happy to weight for GSP.

I can't see it now, think Dana has realised George doesn't have quite the star power he used to and the fact there wasn't outrage everywhere from the fans when this fight was called off shows that the public wasn't that invested in it.

If bisping is really too injured to fight (not buying it) than the UFC will have a dilemma on their hands. If they have to wait until November anyways, do they put Bisping up against GSP or the #1 contender?

#22 DrPaul

DrPaul

King Of The Fall

• Free
  • 53,814 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

Only makes sense if they have weigh in right beforw the fight

New weight classes are not going to stop anyone from cutting weight, we'll just have guys like Tyron with 3 belts

• Eclipse76, McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO and cashfl0w like this

Prediction Tournament XVI Champion

Gamblers Prediction League Season 4 Champion

Last one to post Champion

UFC Forum Fight Camp Champion

UFC Predictions Tournament 5 - unofficial Champion

PSN - DrPaul

#23 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:23 AM

New weight classes are not going to stop anyone from cutting weight, we'll just have guys like Tyron with 3 belts

Tbh T Wood would need a BBC reduction in order to make 165
  • DrPaul likes this

#24 DrPaul

DrPaul

King Of The Fall

• Free
  • 53,814 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:23 AM

Tbh T Wood would need a BBC reduction in order to make 165

He could easily make 165 with the towel trick

• Eclipse76, King_CAN, McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO and 2 others like this

Prediction Tournament XVI Champion

Gamblers Prediction League Season 4 Champion

Last one to post Champion

UFC Forum Fight Camp Champion

UFC Predictions Tournament 5 - unofficial Champion

PSN - DrPaul

#25 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:27 AM

It will because think one of the 7th point on the new rules

7) A second weight check on the day of the event to ensure fighters haven’t gained back more than 10 percent of their body weight. Fighters who gain excessive weight may be asked to move to a higher weight class.

Surely there must be a lot of guys who gain more than 10%?

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#26 xFINISHxHIMx

xFINISHxHIMx

UNDISPUTED EA UFC 2 FORUM CHAMPION

• Free
  • 37,724 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

225lbs Bring Pat Barry back
  • Eclipse76 likes this

I'm not the best… I just believe that I can do things that people think are impossible.

And at least I am no former Junkie that is all that matters.

#27 I_Take_Roids_m8

I_Take_Roids_m8

#1 Volkan fan and leader of the Oez MILITIA

• Free
  • 6,995 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:45 AM

Sam Alvey isn't happy..

WjWV5KV.png
  • juice64011 and King_CAN like this
AVRpt9W.jpg

#28 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

Sam Alvey isn't happy..

WjWV5KV.png

Has fought from Welterweight to Lightheayweight chances are he hates it because he's one of the guys it will affect.

• Eclipse76 likes this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#29 King_CAN

King_CAN

LEAFS NATION MOFOS

• Free
  • 25,055 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:22 AM

if this results in more weightclasses I will legit stop following the ufc for life

• amunera and I_Take_Roids_m8 like this

IRT/

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/
giphy.gif

#30 ijosef

ijosef
  • Free
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

I honestly don't think it will matter much. Since they want to put an interim title on everyone nowadays, having four more belts really won't change things. For crying out loud, they have a "champion" at women's featherweight, when they have zero fighters even legitimately in that weight class (and active).

So, I'm guessing if they copy boxing terminology to some extent, 165 will be welterweight and 175 super welterweight? I'm thinking 195 would be super middleweight and of course 225 would be cruiserweight. They should lift the max off the heavyweight division, as it won't really change anything. We've seen the optimum weight for a HW to be between 240 and 260, with very few guys cutting down to 265. It's not like lifting the maximum is going to have a bunh of cAkebono and Butterbean types showing up in the UFC. And, a heavyweight is a heavyweight is a heavyweight.

Edited by ijosef, 20 May 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#31 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 10,044 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

There we go! 

I can see where the UFC is gonna go with it!

Belts, belts, belts and more belts! 

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"Who tha fook is that guy ?"

"I wove you Mi"

#32 McMod_FUCKS_his_FAT_DISGUSTING_MOM_in_the_ASS_BEG_is_a_CUNT_too_LMFAO

• Banned
  • 22,916 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Champs if the UFC ever adds the new classes:

125 - MM

135 - Cody

145 - Aldo/Blessed

155 - Conor

165 - Conor

175 - Woodley/GSP

185 - Whittaker

195 - Romero

205 - Jones

205+ - Stipe

#33 Yerbo

Yerbo
  • Free
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

If the world was full of talented fighters it would be fine. As is though it will just lead to a bunch of divisions with less good fighters and a bunch of cans trying to contend with them I would think

#34 Omoplataypus

Omoplataypus

Still Kelvins #1 fan, he'll be back

• Free
  • 15,833 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

If the world was full of talented fighters it would be fine. As is though it will just lead to a bunch of divisions with less good fighters and a bunch of cans trying to contend with them I would think

My hope would be that some of the top guys in different divisions would meet in the middle to create more SUPERFIGHTS
!!! WAR KELGOAT The uncrowned WW champ
Check out my Youtube channel here-
https://www.youtube....downey73/videos

Bubba drink the fluoride !