I'm seeing some strange signs that kind of disturb me here. Here's what I see..
1. Conor McGregor, the UFC's biggest star, even MMA's biggest star, is about to get his **** kicked in a sport that he doesn't belong in. Conor McGregor isn't even the best boxer in MMA. He isn't even the best boxer at that weight class! lol
He doesn't stand a chance. He's going to lose, and it's not going to be close. It's going to be embarrassment that falls on the sport of MMA, because casual combat sport fans will not be able to distinguish that boxing isn't really a "fight". They're going to round up, and discount MMA for a long time coming. The entire thing is detrimental to MMA. Mark my words.
On top of it all, what do you think is going to happen after Conor fights Mayweather? Do you think Conor is coming back? If you do, you virtually are forced to believe that he's going to be getting nearly double what he used to get from UFC, aren't you?
Do you think Conor is going to make eighty million dollars, and then come back and fight for ten million? I certainly don't. I know he'll want to redeem himself, but he'll still want a healthy payout for the PPV buys he'll garner.
All of that brings about a whole new conundrum: If Conor gets a twenty million dollar check for fighting Khabib in Moscow, what does Prelim Fighter A do with himself? Keep fighting for $15K? At what point does a fighter strike become realistic?
2. PPV buys are waaaaay down. Their biggest event this year was Cormier vs. Johnson 2, and that did 300K buys. That's pennies.
3. The title situations are a joke. They are very clearly trying to crown more champions, so they can have more PPVs headlined by "champions", but they're watering down their own brand. It's not working. They need to strip more champions.
Why haven't they stripped Conor yet?? What are they waiting for?
4. More and more people are leaving. Bellator just snatched away Mousasi. I have to believe there's a ton more about to go when their contract is up.
Crack as many jokes as you want, but PFL has a million dollar prize on the line. They have to win an 8-man tournament to get it, but if they do, that payout would end up being higher than 95% of UFC fighters make per fight.
5. Imagine for a second that Demian Maia manages to hump his way to the victory against Woodley.
Demian Maia vs. GSP would immediately be pending. I don't know about you, but I'm not watching that. I don't care if they put it on FOX for f'in free. I. Am. Not. Watching. That.
Is this company nearing the end? Does anybody else see the signs? Any that I've missed?
Edited by cashfl0w, 17 July 2017 - 02:50 PM.