165 replies to this topic

#51 NikkiNeversleep

NikkiNeversleep

OG Werdum Fan - What's my name? EBAH!

• Free
  • 8,904 posts
  • LocationZion

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:28 AM

Although many are absolutists to the point of denial of sound reason when it comes to religious dogma i don't really look at people that follow religion or spirituality as necessarily illogical anymore but i used to subscribe to that view very much so. 

I kinda look at it now as it being a framework & or ritual practices as an exercise for a person to better themselves, find meaning & clarity to things that are important to them on a deeper level than just going through life aimlessly reacting to what's on the surface. It's like a journey to discover some answers you may seek by looking deep within and you can use outside sources for that to stimulate growth. It doesn't even matter to me if it's a bit of a mind fk trick but the journey of self discovery and a better understanding of a fuller spectrum of the nature of things and people in order to better yourself and enrich the lives of those around you is what's important. 

Where it gets odd & or wrong imo is when people get so enthralled with any one dogma as if it's the be all end all cookie cutter and i just think life and people are far more complex than that. Once you make up your mind about something that it's definitely this or definitely that well as soon as you try to definitely define something it can will slip away and you'll be missing something about it that you could have really learned something valuable from. 

Even a person's morale principles and beliefs don't always have to be so incredibly rigid to where it's impractical in the real world. The world is filled with constantly changing circumstances and many variables so there is no one size fits all approach as far as i'm concerned. Generally speaking it's ok to follow some universal principles that work but don't be trapped by them or they will own you. If you can't be a little flexible sometimes even if it goes against your principles that you may hold true then you are gonna come across a lot more situations where you will make mistakes that could have been avoided. 

So my take is i try not to outright dismiss things as a whole because i know i can find gems in just about any doctrine or system of beliefs. I may find parts of something that have some real use for me in giving me deeper meaning, a more rich understanding and i can apply what i learn from that to my own lifestyle as an individual. 

I annoy people sometimes with this philosophy because while i am a skeptical, critical, analytical person i'm not so quick to cast judgement and draw absolute conclusion like lines in the sand as much as many other people i encounter so it makes them uncomfortable i guess because they don't know how to define or label my views but i kinda like it that way. I'm also the first to admit i don't have it all figured out and i never want to be the person that stops learning about how things work be it myself, others or the world around me because i want to become so rigidly indoctrinated in my own biases and perception on things. 

Sorry for the tl;dr but i got up early this morning & i got my introvert brainstorming cap on. lol

I think in order to believe in any sort of religion, even modern ones, there is some suspension of reason/logic that has to occur. It may not be an overwhelming amount of suspension nor may it seep into other aspects of life, at all. However, there has to be some at some point in order to come to believe in the things presented by religions (even of today).

• StompGrind, Bubba_Sparks and MauroPedrosa like this

CORRE! VAI CAVALO! CORRE! VAI CAVALO! GANHAR! GANHAR!

#52 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:58 AM

I don't follow any religions because they were created by men a long time ago and those men were probably a lot more clueless than we are.

I think that there might be a god or gods out there, because everything comes from some place. But then again, where did that god or gods come from?

I also think that if there really is a god than he has a messed up sense of fairness / justice. Some people are born with absolutely nothing and die even worse.

And the existence of a god doesn't necessarily mean there is an afterlife, which is a scary thought.

--

Basically I am an agnostic that knows he's ignorant about how earth was created, or why it was created, but don't follow any religions because I have seen many injustices and senseless killings, and a little improvement in my life wouldn't make the world a fairer place.
  • juice64011, StompGrind, Bubba_Sparks and 2 others like this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#53 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:01 AM

Another question is why do we usually refer to god as a male? Isn't that just our social environment unconsciously forcing itself on us?
  • TwennyFo and NikkiNeversleep like this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#54 DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

Still a ShowGOAT fan. Suck it.

• Ultimate
  • 49,387 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:02 AM

Another question is why do we usually refer to god as a male? Isn't that just our social environment unconsciously forcing itself on us?

I think it's mainly because women can't do simple tasks by themselves, so it's hard to believe they can create an entire world by themselves.
  • SVTContour98 and MauroPedrosa like this
Champion of Survivor Series IX, Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-7-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#55 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 35,668 posts
  • LocationCajun Country

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:12 AM

I think in order to believe in any sort of religion, even modern ones, there is some suspension of reason/logic that has to occur. It may not be an overwhelming amount of suspension nor may it seep into other aspects of life, at all. However, there has to be some at some point in order to come to believe in the things presented by religions (even of today).

I agree with you but i don't think it's entirely non beneficial. I find so many people like to dismiss things as a whole and to me at least that's not a wise approach. Not that i don't enjoy a good ridicule of the seemingly absurd and some people definitely need that myself included at times. lol.

The point i'm making though is it's just as a easy for people to get caught up in the trappings of any particular belief system or to outright dismiss them as a whole and i just think that can be a short sighted or narrow approach at times so you should never fully stop questioning things no matter what base conclusions you reach unless you absolutely know for certain. So i'm kinda in the sure be skeptical camp but if i don't really know for certain i can't outright dismiss or ridicule too much even if it 'seems' rediculous. 

Human beings have a way of breaking things down, defining and label things into neat little boxes especially unknown things but my take is even if it isn't necessarily real you can still find things that are somewhat useful to be learned in an abstract way that can still apply to you. Time in a sense isn't real but we still use it as an example. 

I just try not to fixate on the dogma, the structure or the many shapes and forms of things. I don't even completely trust in my own perception of things as if that's all there is to it nor do i look at many things as if there is nothing to it like nah son that's some utter nonsense. If i don't know for certain i have to leave some room even if very little to being open to the possibility. 

Edited by StompGrind, 12 October 2017 - 03:35 AM.

• Bubba_Sparks, NikkiNeversleep and MauroPedrosa like this
Within each of us there is a silence, A silence as vast as the universe.
And when we experience that silence, We remember who we are.

#56 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:17 AM

I promise you, in the case of my former roommate at least, no one was harassing him about it. We all worked with pretty secular people, his friends were like-minded or secular themselves. He just obsessed over it, it was really bizarre. He'd go off on these tangents grilling me on stuff like I was a God person even though I don't really label myself that way.

I WOULD say I'm an agnostic but I really don't think there is anything out there. That said I'd love to somehow get confirmation of the existence of god in an empirical way, it sure would make the thought of death a whole lot less scary.

The thought of dying makes me sick and I used to have major panic attacks about it. What's funny is that in order to stop those, I use mental tricks like 'oh maybe when you are old humans will be able to avoid death' or something like that.

I think that a big part of why people become religious is to avoid that pain, understandably.

I just think that our human nature is kinda messed up by itself. I don't like how we have to kill to eat, to survive. Whether it be animals or plants, we have to consume life.

That and many other atrocities make me just live the best way I can, but tell myself I won't reproduce. I wouldn't want my child to be as clueless or vulnerable as me.

Maybe I will change my mind in a few years, sometimes that happens
  • StompGrind, sobercuban and chons like this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#57 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Disrespect the Legend

• Free
  • 25,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:25 AM

The thought of dying makes me sick and I used to have major panic attacks about it. What's funny is that in order to stop those, I use mental tricks like 'oh maybe when you are old humans will be able to avoid death' or something like that.

I think that a big part of why people become religious is to avoid that pain, understandably.

I just think that our human nature is kinda messed up by itself. I don't like how we have to kill to eat, to survive. Whether it be animals or plants, we have to consume life.

That and many other atrocities make me just live the best way I can, but tell myself I won't reproduce. I wouldn't want my child to be as clueless or vulnerable as me.

I don't think people become "religious" to avoid thinking about death.  I would argue that having a belief in eternity makes you all the more aware of death.

Human nature is indeed very messed up.  There is no secular answer to that; there is a very compelling biblical answer.

To me, that's where reason/logic plays a huge part in my faith.  The bible, despite being written by "ignorant bronze-age shepherds", explains the current state of things pretty emphatically.  I find that most counter-arguments to the validity of the bible are quite illogical and unreasoned in themselves.

Sorry Mauro, I'm not trying to single you out - I just think it was your good self who made the original assertion about Shapiro's religious views being blind, so I figured I'd mainly respond to you.  

• SVTContour98 and MauroPedrosa like this

Winning coach of 2016 Camps League - Team FRANKLIN

Chief of the Rich "Ace" Franklin fan-club

Founder of the welcoming/rehabillitation team

rich-franklin.jpg

#58 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 35,668 posts
  • LocationCajun Country

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:30 AM

On the abortion topic i have some very mixed feelings on that. On some lvl i feel like it's wrong on another i'm very much for freedom of choice for people to do as they want and if that means terminating a pregnancy well it's their body, their life, their decision so i'm kinda with that even though on some level it feels wrong to me. 

On the other hand we have way too many people and it wouldn't bother me too much if some people just walked into the ocean. 

I'm terrible i know. lol

#59 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:39 AM

I don't think people become "religious" to avoid thinking about death. I would argue that having a belief in eternity makes you all the more aware of death.

Human nature is indeed very messed up. There is no secular answer to that; there is a very compelling biblical answer.

To me, that's where reason/logic plays a huge part in my faith. The bible, despite being written by "ignorant bronze-age shepherds", explains the current state of things pretty emphatically. I find that most counter-arguments to the validity of the bible are quite illogical and unreasoned in themselves.

Sorry Mauro, I'm not trying to single you out - I just think it was your good self who made the original assertion about Shapiro's religious views being blind, so I figured I'd mainly respond to you.

I really created this monster of a thread :D

Anyway, I have a lot of hardcore christians in my family, so I don't have to agree with someone to love them.

I'll tell you something interesting, I stopped going to church when I was like 10 because I never enjoyed the 'expression policing'. Like how they stop you from swearing or watching adult videos and those are some of the best things life can offer, in my humble opinion. Regardless, I secretly went back to praying when I was around 12 and I felt some real improvements in my daily life. The praying didn't last very long, though, because it just didn't make 'scientific' sense.

Maybe there is something out there, and I hope there is, because I certainly don't enjoy thinking about death as an agnostic. That's why I'm not militant with my lack of belief.

I do enjoy life when it comes to sports and women and family etc. But the thought of what's after is terrifying

3vzbFMh.jpg

#60 SVTContour98

SVTContour98
  • Free
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

blah blah blah blah blah

your all going to die and going to die very very very soon in the grand scheme of time...at a minimum you should truly face the logical conclusions to your worldview (agnostic, atheist, theist - all in varying forms), and not self-medicate through living in self-delusion...Nut up and live with ALL of the logical conclusions to your worldview and stop being a snowflake.

3 Facts Everyone Must Face:

#1 If there is no God, then your life has no objective meaning.

#2 You didn't bring yourself into this World, and you cannot ultimately prevent your Death.

#3 Jesus Existed.

PM to discuss<

#61 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

^^^

Reaction to harassment. 

#62 SVTContour98

SVTContour98
  • Free
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:09 AM

^^^

Am I harassing you? or you harassing me?

Neither of us quoted the other, so I'm not sure it applies to either of us...unless you are admitting you are living in self-delusion?

#2 You didn't bring yourself into this World, and you cannot ultimately prevent your Death.

#3 Jesus Existed.

PM to discuss<

#63 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:09 AM

Because women are terrible at building things

• SVTContour98, StompGrind and MauroPedrosa like this

post-406774-0-12678100-1439418105.gif

post-406774-0-05914100-1428435713.jpg

#64 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:10 AM

ahhh man, this is an accurate reflection of my mind

• MauroPedrosa likes this

#65 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:13 AM

Am I harassing you? or you harassing me?

Neither of us quoted the other, so I'm not sure it applies to either of us...unless you are admitting you are living in self-delusion?

I'm generalizing.

Though... every single one of your posts is a preach, some much worse than others. There wouldn't be the Dawkins and Hitchens types spouting off if you and your kind would pipe down. Think about it for a minute. :P

#66 SVTContour98

SVTContour98
  • Free
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:14 AM

every single one of your posts is a preach,

prove it

#3 Jesus Existed.

PM to discuss<

#67 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

prove it

If you can't see it, there is literally no hope for you. This is getting funny, quick. 

#68 SVTContour98

SVTContour98
  • Free
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

If you can't see it, there is literally no hope for you. This is getting funny, quick. 

you made a claim, I requested proof...you crawfished..nuff said

#3 Jesus Existed.

PM to discuss<

#69 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

you made a claim, I requested proof...you crawfished..nuff said

Um...

#3 Jesus Existed.

PM to discuss<

You were saying? 

#70 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 35,668 posts
  • LocationCajun Country

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:24 AM

Because women are terrible at building things

This is a man's world, this is a man's world
But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl
You see, man made the cars to take us over the road
Man made the train to carry the heavy load
Man made electric light to take us out of the dark

Reminds me of this song which is probably my favorite James Brown song. I had a friend that thought that bold line was "man made electrolytes". LMFAO idiocracy. 

• sobercuban and TwennyFo like this

#71 SVTContour98

SVTContour98
  • Free
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

Um...

You were saying? 

that's a signature not a post...there's a feature here to hide people's signatures...you may want to try it...actually, you may even want to face the facts! some here have tried and failed, some have half-heartily tried and flamed out, some have given an honest effort and now face their true worldview.

#3 Jesus Existed.

PM to discuss<

#72 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

I don't think people become "religious" to avoid thinking about death.  I would argue that having a belief in eternity makes you all the more aware of death.

Human nature is indeed very messed up.  There is no secular answer to that; there is a very compelling biblical answer.

To me, that's where reason/logic plays a huge part in my faith.  The bible, despite being written by "ignorant bronze-age shepherds", explains the current state of things pretty emphatically.  I find that most counter-arguments to the validity of the bible are quite illogical and unreasoned in themselves.

WTF :huh:. There are more than several treaties on human nature (secular), also a lot of it previous or independent to christian belief. And I guess I missed the compeling argument (or any compelling argument for that matter) in the bible.

Edited by amunera, 12 October 2017 - 06:39 AM.

• sobercuban, TwennyFo and chons like this

Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#73 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

that's a signature not a post...there's a feature here to hide people's signatures...you may want to try it...actually, you may even want to face the facts! some here have tried and failed, some have half-heartily tried and flamed out, some have given an honest effort and now face their true worldview.

I don't need to hide anything, I'm just trying to point out the obvious to you. 

#74 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

ahhh man, this is an accurate reflection of my mind

Yeah it's tough. But sometimes I ask myself: would you prefer not being born at all so you wouldn't have to face death?

And I really can't say yes or no. I enjoy a lot of things about being here
  • sobercuban likes this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#75 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:15 AM

Yeah it's tough. But sometimes I ask myself: would you prefer not being born at all so you wouldn't have to face death?

And I really can't say yes or no. I enjoy a lot of things about being here

Agreed.  

#76 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

Mauro going full emo.

I think it's clear you would like to live otherwise you would kill yourself wishing to either go to the "afterlife" or to return to wherever you were before you were born.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die"

-Morty

Edited by amunera, 12 October 2017 - 07:19 AM.

Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#77 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

Mauro going full emo.

I think it's clear you would like to live otherwise you would kill yourself wishing to either go to the "afterlife" or to return to wherever you were before you were born.

-Morty

I want to get a bumper sticker that says:

"No lives matter" - The Universe

• SVTContour98, amunera, TwennyFo and 2 others like this

#78 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:23 AM

I want to get a bumper sticker that says:

"No lives matter" - The Universe

Heck, yeah. Eff anthropocentrism

• sobercuban likes this

Fav:
conair.gif?w=780

#79 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Mauro going full emo.

-Morty

I think you missed the message in my latest post. What I'm trying to say is that the knowledge of death ruins or harms the experience of living, but I like life and would love to have it eternally

• sobercuban likes this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#80 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

I think you missed the message in my latest post. What I'm trying to say is that the knowledge of death ruins or harms the experience of living, but I like life and would love to have it eternally

meh knowledge of death is irrelevant, everyone that lives is going to die, why should it affect your life? Also about living forever, you sure have not thought it through. The only people I hear say that is the people that have not thought long about it.

• sobercuban likes this

Fav:
conair.gif?w=780

#81 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:26 AM

Heck, yeah. Eff anthropocentrism

Pretty fkn much.  

We are a completely insignificant part of our galaxy which is a completely insignificant part of the rest of the universe.  Your time here is what you make of it.  

• amunera and chons like this

#82 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

meh knowledge of death is irrelevant, everyone that lives is going to die, why should it affect your life?

I'd love to have your peace of mind

• sobercuban likes this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#83 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

meh knowledge of death is irrelevant, everyone that lives is going to die, why should it affect your life? Also about living forever, you sure have not thought it through. The only people I hear say that is the people that have not thought long about it.

Yeah I wouldn't want to outlive my wife.  I wouldn't eat a bullet if she died unexpectedly but I'd sure consider it.  Only reason why I'm entertaining having children is so there will be someone to take care of her after I'm gone, that and she really wants kids.  

• amunera likes this

#84 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

Hahaha give it a thought, especially about living forever, and you see it all does not make any sense. I would argue death is the main (or only) motor to do anything, if you weren't going to die why would you do what you are doing today if you could do it in 10000 years? Also think about all the things you have enjoyed in the past and that you do not enjoy today because of over use, eventually everything would be overused  and you would not have any sources of joy.

I think you are mistaking the feel you want, and the feel you want is not losing anyone, not to live forever, and I would agree I would be glad to be the first one of my loved ones to die so I do not have to go through that chit (after myself having had a good live)

Edit: last paragraph is basically what sober said about his wife.

Edited by amunera, 12 October 2017 - 07:32 AM.

• sobercuban likes this

Fav:
conair.gif?w=780

#85 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

Same.  I worry far too much about my death.  I worry far too much about terrible things happening in general.  

#86 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

I look at it the exact opposite. The knowledge of death allows me to appreciate life that much more. I think if I believed in an afterlife, I'd be so much more ambivalent about this one. I was certainly more reckless when I believed in life after death. 

• sobercuban and MauroPedrosa like this

#87 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

Pretty fkn much.  

We are a completely insignificant part of our galaxy which is a completely insignificant part of the rest of the universe.  Your time here is what you make of it.  

If you pan out far enough, we are nearly insignificant in our own solar system. 

• sobercuban likes this

#88 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

I look at it the exact opposite. The knowledge of death allows me to appreciate life that much more. I think if I believed in an afterlife, I'd be so much more ambivalent about this one. I was certainly more reckless when I believed in life after death. 

If god doesn't exist I feel like that's the great tragedy of our existence.  So many billions of people living their lives for something that doesn't exist and squandering the short time they have to experience living.  

• chons likes this

#89 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

Hahaha give it a thought, especially about living forever, and you see it all does not make any sense. I would argue death is the main (or only) motor to do anything, if you weren't going to die why would you do what you are doing today if you could do it in 10000 years? Also think about all the things you have enjoyed in the past and that you do not enjoy today because of over use, eventually everything would be overused  and you would not have any sources of joy.

I think you are mistaking the feel you want, and the feel you want is not losing anyone, not to live forever, and I would agree I would be glad to be the first one of my loved ones to die so I do not have to go through that chit (after myself having had a good live)

Edit: last paragraph is basically what sober said about his wife.

Obviously, the world would be really different if people were immortal. Some would say there would be no reason to have kids, etc. But I'd still take it.

I've thought about it millions of times, and I'm sure sobercuban has done the same.

• sobercuban likes this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#90 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

You can, just apply some of the mental tricks you talked about earlier. 

• sobercuban and MauroPedrosa like this

#91 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

If you pan out far enough, we are nearly insignificant in our own solar system. 

Honestly the solar system was my first stop.  Going down even further, individuals are a totally insignificant part of life on this planet.  

• chons likes this

#92 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

The way I explain it is: life is a really cool party that I don't want to leave.

Whatever we imagine death is, whether it be eternal unconsciousness or something else, just seems like a huge downgrade from living (and watching Netflix, chatting with friends, etc.)

• sobercuban and chons like this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#93 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

If god doesn't exist I feel like that's the great tragedy of our existence.  So many billions of people living their lives for something that doesn't exist and squandering the short time they have to experience living.  

I just hope that humanity lives long enough to move past all this BS. I don't rule out "God", but I do rule out the human interpretation of God which is religion. 

• sobercuban, amunera, TwennyFo and 1 other like this

#94 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Obviously, the world would be really different if people were immortal. Some would say there would be no reason to have kids, etc. But I'd still take it.

I've thought about it millions of times, and I'm sure sobercuban has done the same.

I think about it constantly.  All of the things I could do and accomplish and learn.  

I think about all of the chitty things I've done to my body and the kinds of health issues I ran in to in my late 20s and it terrifies me to know that many of them are only going to continue to get worse.  My uncle recently died of cancer and it was a slow death over the course of a few years.  At the end he was a completely broken person, devoid of any joy, obviously ready to check out.  The thought that that could be my future is horrifying.  

If I'm going to die I want it to just happen suddenly.  

• chons and MauroPedrosa like this

#95 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

I just hope that humanity lives long enough to move past all this BS. I don't rule out "God", but I do rule out the human interpretation of God which is religion. 

There's a Tool song that embodies my feelings on the subject called "Right in Two" .  I really hear it as a soundtrack in my head a lot of times.  

Edit: Someone made a video of it playing over this animation they found that is amazing as well.  

• chons likes this

#96 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

The way I explain it is: life is a really cool party that I don't want to leave.

Whatever we imagine death is, whether it be eternal unconsciousness or something else, just seems like a huge downgrade from living (and watching Netflix, chatting with friends, etc.)

I agree wholeheartedly, especially now that I'm older and finally at peace with myself. The hard part for me is dwelling on past mistakes, but that is going away also. 

#97 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Btw, I'm enjoying this conversation, but I have to finish the last episode of House of Cards.

Frank Underwood is a really cool character and I share some of his views on life. I'm not that much of a sociopath though

• Bubba_Sparks, sobercuban and chons like this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#98 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

There's a Tool song that embodies my feelings on the subject called "Right in Two" .  I really hear it as a soundtrack in my head a lot of times.  

Edit: Someone made a video of it playing over this animation they found that is amazing as well.  

I'm not familiar with the song, I'll check it out when I get back to work. One of the things I appreciate most in life and "deep songs", and the way we relate to them. 

There was a quote going around when Tom Petty died, something about "the only magic I know is through music". That kind of sums up the importance of music in my life. 

• sobercuban likes this

#99 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Btw, I'm enjoying this conversation, but I have to finish the last episode of House of Cards.

Frank Underwood is a really cool character and I share some of his views on life. I'm not that much of a sociopath though

I'll be curious to hear your opinions on the most recent season.

I'm the same, Frank is the hero of the show, not the villain.  

#100 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,155 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

I'm not familiar with the song, I'll check it out when I get back to work. One of the things I appreciate most in life and "deep songs", and the way we relate to them. 

There was a quote going around when Tom Petty died, something about "the only magic I know is through music". That kind of sums up the importance of music in my life. 

I can't imagine a world without music.  

It's good if you check it out, pretty long.  There's a video of a guy who does an acoustic rendition where he's basically combining all of the instruments and vocals into one acoustic guitar.  

Here it is:

Here's the fan made video, I honestly recommend listening to the song by itself first:

• chons likes this