• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:50 AM

“Staying at 125 [is the plan],” Johnson explained on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “[The cut for UFC 216] was the easiest weight cut I ever had. I mean, I woke up this morning at 138 pounds and I had a delicious chocolate stout, I had a bowl of cereal after. I’m just a small guy. I saw my boy, [UFC bantamweight] ‘Funkmaster’ Aljamain Sterling, he said, ‘Man, I just broke 160 pounds.’ And to me, I’m like, ‘Jesus, you are a big dude, my friend.’ So going up to that weight class, obviously I want to be well compensated.”

Johnson then elaborated on what it will take to get him to move up to 135, and why it’s important to him to solidify his legacy at flyweight.

“Make it worth my while,” Johnson said. “Show me the money. These guys are taking concussions. Like I said after the fight, I’m not in the business to get concussions. I do not like getting hit. I can take a hit, but I don’t want to damage my brain if I don’t have to. So obviously there’s fights at 125 that seem appealing. Sergio Pettis is a hot prospect. Henry Cejudo looked good in his last fight. I know Joseph Benavidez is getting healthy again. So I don’t know see why I would leave when I just cemented this legacy. Why not set it to 15 [title defenses]?

“There’s going to come another guy down the road who’s going to be aiming for my record, so my job is to set the bar high. And [strawweight champion] Joanna Jedrzejczyk, she’s at six. So you know what, she might want to keep on going and try to break my record, and I can’t allow that. So I’ve got to set the bar higher.”

One way I suppose I had never really thought about it is that Mighty Mouse isn't even the biggest Flyweight so while a move up in weight is probably really ill advised. I mean look at most of the other champs they are generally all quite big for their division.

Edited by Jolldan, 12 October 2017 - 06:51 AM.

• juice64011 and GN_FDU like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#2 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:57 AM

Seems reasonable. Dude is already the best ever so he can pretty much do what he wants
  • Fred_Flink_Stoned, Jolldan and jaybird86 like this

#3 IRT.

IRT.

LEAFS NATION MOFOS

• Free
  • 24,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

Le domin8ter scared him sraight

mark my words, you'll never see him at 135

Real talk, I agree that He should def be paid more, but if he had the balls to go up to 135, it would make him a star and he would make more money regardless onwords, I don't know if i totally agree with his reasoning

he's openly stated that the only way he profits from fighting is from the bonuses of being a champion, and if he lost he would be making pennies 

• VertFTW likes this

IRT/

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/
giphy.gif

#4 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

Seems reasonable. Dude is already the best ever so he can pretty much do what he wants

Kind of nuts when you think the amount of **** people were giving him for not going up in weight and fighting a guy like TJ who very clearly outsizes him.

Hell look at the difference between him and Dom.

dominick-cruz-vs-demetrious-johnson.jpg

• amunera and Fred_Flink_Stoned like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#5 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 638 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

IMO he should stay there forever and keep destroying people and further cement the legacy.  Unlike most here, I like the division and think if he could stay there for another 3 years and 10 more fights - there would be no dispute to his being the GOAT.  Anderson Silva was never asked to change divisions to challenge himself or to make more money for the company, why should DJ?

• Jolldan and SmoothCriminal like this

#6 Mcmax3000

Mcmax3000
  • Moderators
  • 28,033 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

Anderson Silva was never asked to change divisions to challenge himself

Yeah, Anderson Silva was never asked to go up to Light Heavyweight.

• jaybird86 likes this

#7 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

He fought 3 cans at LHW all of which were hand picked for his style. He never once "challenged" himself at LHW.
  • Yerbo, jaybird86 and -idyb- like this

#8 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

I think DJ should stay at MFW and keep losing Dana money until he ultimately decides to shut the division down(hopefully soon).

TBH the only think that can save that horrendous division is if TJ loses his upcoming fight and decides to move down.

• Dark_Horse likes this

#9 Shkrelz

Shkrelz
  • Elite
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

He fought 3 cans at LHW all of which were hand picked for his style. He never once "challenged" himself at LHW.

he stepped in and fought DC on short notice tho...

• cashfl0w and VertFTW like this

#10 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

IMO he should stay there forever and keep destroying people and further cement the legacy.  Unlike most here, I like the division and think if he could stay there for another 3 years and 10 more fights - there would be no dispute to his being the GOAT.  Anderson Silva was never asked to change divisions to challenge himself or to make more money for the company, why should DJ?

And the thing is Anderson was a big Middleweight who didn't look undersized at Light Heavyweight think he walked around at like 225, Mighty Mouse to me does look like a smaller 125er. Even though he dominated there were a few points during the fight where you realise that Borg was a good bit bigger than Mighty Mouse.

He took Forrest in to the matrix literally his next fight since he lost the title?

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#11 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

I think DJ should stay at MFW and keep losing Dana money until he ultimately decides to shut the division down(hopefully soon).

TBH the only think that can save that horrendous division is if TJ loses his upcoming fight and decides to move down.

Too bad nothing can save your horrendous use of the english language.
  • IRT., cashfl0w, VertFTW and 1 other like this

#12 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

And the thing is Anderson was a big Middleweight who didn't look undersized at Light Heavyweight think he walked around at like 225, Mighty Mouse to me does look like a smaller 125er. Even though he dominated there were a few points during the fight where you realise that Borg was a good bit bigger than Mighty Mouse.

He took Forrest in to the matrix literally his next fight since he lost the title?

Really? A guy that stands there like a truck with no head movement and telegraphs every punch? Even Gump knew he was losing that fight when it was made.

#13 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 638 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

Kind of nuts when you think the amount of **** people were giving him for not going up in weight and fighting a guy like TJ who very clearly outsizes him.

Hell look at the difference between him and Dom.

dominick-cruz-vs-demetrious-johnson.jpg

Looks like a kid and his dad - well - his white adoptive dad...

#14 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Looks like a kid and his dad - well - his white adoptive dad...

LOL @ thinking black people have photos with their dad
  • GoToGuy, Dark_Horse, Fred_Flink_Stoned and 2 others like this

#15 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Do you see what happens, Larry?

• Ultimate
  • 46,299 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

He would beat DC in a five round fight too.
  • KingCarnage, skillandpower and Shkrelz like this
Champion of Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-7-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#16 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 638 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

does that really count though?  I should have been more thorough in my comment...  But didn't he volunteer for that spot on short notice, rather than being asked?  He was not asked to put himself in a position to lose a title for it for certain.

#17 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

I like to be fair even with fighters Im not a fan.

No, MM should not be forced to fight at 135. He does have a valid point.

However, it seems to me his big excitement is to have the most title defenses as possible and guess what ? I dont think that reason alone will make him a start, put more money on his pocket and have fans. Sad but true.

Also, what is he talking about ? There are only Benavidez (he already beat 3 times lol), Cejudo (he already beat lol) and Sergio. Thats it for him!

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"Who tha fook is that guy ?"

"I wove you Mi"

#18 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

We're talking about when he was champion. Not when he was roided up and trying to remain relevant.
  • jaybird86 likes this

#19 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

He would beat DC in a five round fight too.

My same thoughts.

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#20 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

Didnt TJ offered to fight him at 125 and he said no ?

I see MM wanting to fight only the guys he already beat or super young prospects lol

Edited by skillandpower, 12 October 2017 - 07:59 AM.

• VertFTW likes this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#21 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

DJ is a annoying midget that takes no risks...hes so bad that people leave the venue when he fights....these are people that payed good money mind you.

Him and Tyron have colluded and come to the conclusion that its better to fight the safest fight possible to keep the title irregardless of entertaining the fans....thats all fine and dandy but they have alienated the fans.

• Dark_Horse likes this

#22 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

DJ is a annoying midget that takes no risks...hes so bad that people leave the venue when he fights....these are people that payed good money mind you.

Him and Tyron have colluded and come to the conclusion that its better to fight the safest fight possible to keep the title irregardless of entertaining the fans....thats all fine and dandy but they have alienated the fans.

Paid is how you spell it.
  • juice64011 likes this

#23 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 638 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

regardless of his size, if you don't think his brilliance is entertaining, you're high.

#24 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

Im not a Woodley fan but why are you comparing both m8 ?

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#25 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

Didnt TJ offered to fight him at 125 e he said no ?

I see MM wanting to fight only the guys he already beat or super young prospects lol

'prospects' lol

• skillandpower likes this

#26 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

'prospects' lol

Well, per say.

But yeah, prospects is a funny word lol

• VertFTW likes this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#27 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

Really? A guy that stands there like a truck with no head movement and telegraphs every punch? Even Gump knew he was losing that fight when it was made.

I refuse to accept the title of CAN for any ex ufc champ lol

Didnt TJ offered to fight him at 125 e he said no ?

I sort of get that one. I know TJ is a real professional but a lot is riding on your word that you can make the weight, especially when you have never done it before.

TJ should have dropped down and faced Cejudo or Benavidez while DJ was dealing with Borg that way he got a win over a top Flyweight and proved he can make the weight setting up the next fight.

• jaybird86 likes this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#28 Shkrelz

Shkrelz
  • Elite
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

We're talking about when he was champion. Not when he was roided up and trying to remain relevant.

He looked chubby in the DC fight, wasnt running anything nearly as good or potent as when he was a champ....

MM can fight as many midgets as he wants, and dominate forever, but hes not challenging himself so no one cares to watch

#29 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

MM has finished 5 of his last 7 opponents, i dont get this whole boring thing unless you call destruction of someone boring. The dude isnt GSP just laying on guys for 5 rounds.
  • Fred_Flink_Stoned likes this

#30 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

Im not a Woodley fan but why are you comparing both m8 ?

They are buddies and talk alot...they decided that its a good idea to fight the safest possible fight in order to maintain the belt and the higher pay associated. They are playing the system...I think in will cost them in the long run. 

#31 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

They are buddies and talk alot...they decided that its a good idea to fight the safest possible fight in order to maintain the belt and the higher pay associated. They are playing the system...I think in will cost them in the long run. 

How is Woodley fighting the safest fight ?

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#32 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

regardless of his size, if you don't think his brilliance is entertaining, you're high.

Id like to see him do that against TJ. tbh not impressed...hes playing the system.

#33 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

How is Woodley fighting the safest fight ?

LOL...he almost had the lowest strikes ever in a mma fight against Maia....He didnt even attempt to KO him when he had a good chance to finish the fight....he basically fighting with least effort needed to win his fights..

#34 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

LOL...he almost had the lowest strikes ever in a mma fight against Maia....He didnt even attempt to KO him when he had a good chance to finish the fight....he basically fighting with least effort needed to win his fights..

Oh the Maia fight ?

I see your point Vert but he couldnt just do Maia's game to entertain his haters tho.

If he would come forward to try to throw punches and finish Maia, he had a great chance of end up taken down by Maia.

Also, Maia was 50% to be blamed on that pathetic fight because he was a pathetic challenger just like he was against Andy.

Funny how some fans think that it is the champion's job to go after the challenger and not the other way around.

Edited by skillandpower, 12 October 2017 - 08:25 AM.

• jaybird86 likes this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#35 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

I sort of get that one. I know TJ is a real professional but a lot is riding on your word that you can make the weight, especially when you have never done it before.

Borg didnt cut weight and missed weight in the past, right ?

Also, if TJ couldnt cut weight then MM would have a case on his hands and shut the haters up.

Just my 2 cents.

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#36 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

Oh the Maia fight ?

I see your point Vert but he couldnt just do Maia's game to entertain his haters tho.

If he would come forward to try to throw punches and finish Maia, he had a great chance of end up taken down by Maia.

Also, Maia was 50% to be blamed on that pathetic fight because he was a pathetic challenger just like he was against Andy.

Funny how some fans think that it is the champion's job to go after the challenger and not the other way around.

The Maia fight is just a example...my point is Woodley and DJ are doing least amount of effort possible right now....they are playing the system IMO.

Edited by VertFTW, 12 October 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#37 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 54,656 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

He's just another cookie-cutter UFC champ.  Wanting to stay in his lane and worrying about legacy instead of challenging himself.  

• Dark_Horse, skillandpower and VertFTW like this

post-406774-0-12678100-1439418105.gif

post-406774-0-05914100-1428435713.jpg

#38 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

He's just another cookie-cutter UFC champ. Wanting to stay in his lane and worrying about legacy instead of challenging himself.

So every UFC champ aside from the one who refuses to actually defend his title and is 1-2 in his last three fights?

Edited by SmoothCriminal, 12 October 2017 - 10:51 AM.

• juice64011 likes this

#39 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 54,656 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

So every UFC champ aside from the one who refuses to actuzlly defend his title and is 1-2 in his last three fights?

and BJ Penn and Anderson Silva

and what kind of new math got you to Conor being 1-2 in his last 3?  Is his MMA record combined with his boxing record?  What happened in that fight is completely irrelevant to his UFC tenure.  

Even if you ARE combining his two records he would be 2-1 in his last 3.  Unless you're one of those "zOMG Nate got robbed!!" guys that refuse to acknowledge the fact the fight was extremely close and could have gone either way because you don't like the fighter that got the decision.  

• skillandpower and CorporalClegg209 like this

#40 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

So every UFC champ aside from the one who refuses to actuzlly defend his title and is 1-2 in his last three fights?

Trying to compare MM and Conor is a very deep argument. Hard to compare for many reasons.

Not I dont care for both but Conor at least is a PPV legend.

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#41 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

and BJ Penn and Anderson Silva

and what kind of new math got you to Conor being 1-2 in his last 3? Is his MMA record combined with his boxing record? What happened in that fight is completely irrelevant to his UFC tenure.

Yeah im throwing that fight in there and once again, Anderson Silva dId not **** challenge himself at LHW.
  • jaybird86 likes this

#42 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 638 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

He's just another cookie-cutter UFC champ.  Wanting to stay in his lane and worrying about legacy instead of challenging himself.  

Would you not stay in your lane?  To some, money alone isn't the drive.

#43 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

Trying to compare MM and Conor is a very deep argument. Hard to compare for many reasons.

Not I dont care for both but Conor at least is a PPV legend.

So is that what it is? You guys base skill and greatness off PPV buys lol

Edited by SmoothCriminal, 12 October 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#44 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:39 AM

Yeah im throwing that fight in there and once again, Anderson Silva dId not **** challenge himself at LHW.

He did not ?

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#45 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:39 AM

He did not ?

No, he did not

#46 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 54,656 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

See my revised post.  

The point about Andy is that he went up weight classes to showcase his fighting ability, regardless of who he faced.  There aren't many former or reigning champs that are willing to even try.  If anything they tend to flee to lighter divisions.  

#47 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

So is that what it is? You guys base skill and greatness off PPV buys lol

I said it was a deep argument to compare both.

I just threw the PPV buys out there as a detail to compare both guys.

Of course MM is the best MMA artist!

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#48 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 54,656 posts
  • LocationYer face

Would you not stay in your lane?  To some, money alone isn't the drive.

Well then he's missing the point of prizefighting.  

• skillandpower and VertFTW like this

#49 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,241 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

No, he did not

You mean because he did not fight Jones ?

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#50 Weidman_The_God

Weidman_The_God

All knowing Prophet

• Free
  • 6,439 posts
  • LocationGOAT

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

He shouldn't be forced up of course unless the division closes down but he needs to stop complaining about his pay scale. The road to more riches is right there for the taking, however he would much rather be a safe can and stay in his own lane fighting a bunch of D level "contenders".
  • skillandpower and VertFTW like this