#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:29 AM

20171012__DSC3693.1507857868.jpg

What weigh-in drama?

Mackenzie Dern’s first venture into the 125-pound waters kicked off without a hitch on Thursday, as Dern successfully weighed-in at 124.8 pounds for her flyweight debut against Mandy Polk at LFA 24. Polk tipped the scales at a trim 123.8 pounds.

Regarded a one of the top female prospects in the sport, Dern (3-0) is a decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu champion whose struggles on the scale have been her only blemish thus far in her promising MMA career. The 24-year-old Dern has failed to make the strawweight limit in each of her past two regional fights, the latter of which was shifted into a 120-pound catchweight bout prior to weigh-ins.

There were no such issues on Thursday, though.

Now, with the introduction of the women’s flyweight division to the UFC, the option exists for Dern to continue on with her MMA career at 125 pounds, if she so chooses.

“I feel like the girls we have (at The MMA Lab), like Lauren Murphy, she was just in ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ house, and she’s way bigger than me, and she fought 135 and now went down to 125, so I feel like the 125 girls are way bigger than me,” Dern said recently on The MMA Hour.

“But 115 is so hard for me to make. So I’m excited to see 125 and to see how I do there, and see how I feel there. But it’s definitely not 100 percent that that’s the weight class I will want to stay at. I feel like if I can figure out how to continue at 115, that would be better size-wise, but who knows?”

Edited by Jolldan, 08 December 2017 - 02:07 AM.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#2 Taylor_Schonerstedt

Taylor_Schonerstedt
  • Free
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:52 AM

THICK! that other girl makes her look that much better

• Jolldan likes this

#3 IrishSemtex

IrishSemtex
  • Free
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:16 AM

Lol you know it's a quality organization when the ring girls are as ugly as the fighters
  • crangs and amunera like this
Jenna didn't tap.

Mauro will not divide us.

#4 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

King of the Ring.

• Ultimate
  • 50,564 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:21 AM

Beefy McDern finally made weight because she moved up a weight class.

• CorporalClegg209 likes this
Champion of Survivor Series IX, Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-7-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#5 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:30 AM

Lol you know it's a quality organization when the ring girls are as ugly as the fighters

Beefy McDern finally made weight because she moved up a weight class.

The way you all talk you'd think you bang Victoria secret models lol

• Taylor_Schonerstedt likes this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#6 CorporalClegg209

CorporalClegg209

Yeah well, I still jerk off manually

• Free
  • 18,587 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

Cash, Roids and I do that on the regular.

• cashfl0w likes this

qUDIQwQ.gif

Don't want to brag but I've done dong comparisons with white guys before

#7 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

King of the Ring.

• Ultimate
  • 50,564 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

I'm banging yoga teachers and strippers, homes. Women who keep the weight off, not cut to extra-beefy.

• CorporalClegg209 likes this
Champion of Survivor Series IX, Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png

amazin

#8 CorporalClegg209

CorporalClegg209

• Free
  • 18,587 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:42 AM

This doesn't look like the same woman that competed at 129 with no weight cut in BJJ though.  What are they feeding her? 

• cashfl0w likes this

qUDIQwQ.gif

#9 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:37 AM

Cash, Roids and I do that on the regular.

Whatever you say bro lol

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#10 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,320 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

"Go be fat on someone else's time."

- Henry Rollins 

#11 PunchBag

PunchBag

Take Your Best Shot..

• Free
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

that women on the far left is a bit ropey, tell me she isnt a ring girl?

Edited by PunchBag, 13 October 2017 - 06:33 AM.

brZ51I9.jpg

#12 freddievanhalen3

freddievanhalen3

Adolf Sniffler

• Free
  • 53,834 posts
  • LocationThe Tenderloin SF

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

that women on the far left is a bit ropey, tell me she isnt a ring girl?

Im pretty sure she is

2015 Drunkest Forum Poster

2016 Drunkest Forum Poster

2016 Most Laid Back Forum Poster

2016 Nicest Forum Poster

2016 Happiest Forum Poster

#13 IrishSemtex

IrishSemtex
  • Free
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

Im pretty sure she is

Hence my earlier comment
Jenna didn't tap.

Mauro will not divide us.

#14 CorporalClegg209

CorporalClegg209

• Free
  • 18,587 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

Heh Dern knocked this can out before submitting her.

qUDIQwQ.gif

#15 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:02 AM

Strawweight Limit Is No Problem for Mackenzie Dern Ahead of Invicta FC Debut 25014651_137499320188625_703601643791948

The lovely Mackenzie Dern makes her Invicta debut against Kaline Medeiros.

The Invicta Strawweight title is currently vacant if Dern picks up a win tonight she will likely be in line for a fight to declare the next champion.

Dern said this last fight was evidence that she had come a long way in her MMA journey. In her second pro-fight, while in side control, she needed to be reminded by her coaches that she could throw punches.

“I think I’m getting more comfortable standing,” said Dern of her two year development in MMA. “I think that’s the biggest improvement for me. That and not being scared of getting punched; being able to bite down on the mouthpiece and commit.”

Dern is sure that her upcoming opponent will be happy to test her willingness to be punched. Kaline ‘The Dark Angel’ Medeiros’ last fight was for the Invicta strawweight title vs. Angela Hill. Though Medeiros lost that fight, she demonstrated how comfortable she was coming forwards and trading shots.

“For sure I think that Kaline is my biggest challenge yet,” said Dern. “She has a lot of experience fighting top level fighters. From what I know, she is good all around. I don’t think this is a little step-up for me. This is a big step-up, but I want to get to the UFC, so sometimes you have to do those big jumps.”

Despite having respect for the veteran savvy and grit she expects Medeiros to bring to the cage, Dern is confident of getting a win on Friday night. And she thinks, just like she did versus Polk, she could surprise people with her striking.

“I think that for sure, my ground game is better [than Medeiros’], but that won’t be a surprise to anyone because I come from jiu-jitsu, but maybe I’ll surprise her with how hard I hit. I don’t really look like I hit too hard, so I think if I connect with some punches maybe it will surprise her. But from what I’ve seen; she’s a tough girl and she’ll keep coming forward no matter what.”

The fight with Medeiros will be at 115lbs. It’s a weight Dern has fought at before, but never comfortably. Her last fight was at flyweight, but after consulting with coaches and management, Dern has decided that the UFC’s strawweight division is where she can be most successful. In order to fight at 115lbs in the UFC, Dern said, she has to prove she can do it outside of the UFC.

According to Dern this current weight cut has been far more manageable than previous cuts to 115lbs. She said part of this is due to experience, but it’s also helped by the fact she fought so recently and has thus been walking around in fighting-shape.

With the weight-cut seemingly under control and a beatable, albeit tough, opponent ahead of her, Dern stands a good chance of being one of the stand-out performers at Invicta FC 26. This would allow her to live up — somewhat — to the amount of hype that has been generated around her career so far.

23735167_316183472122921_356769548442638

Think-pieces across MMA media have suggested Dern could be ‘the next Ronda Rousey.’ At the very least, Dern is expected to have a solid fighting career in the sport’s grandest promotion. When asked whether this sort of fanfare and attention was welcome, Dern took a moment to think.

“I just think it’s a little bit unrealistic,” she said, after a while.

Dern continued to state that the attention has been a little unhelpful during this stage of her career. According to her, it has made finding opponents a little more challenging. She also said her well-known BJJ background may have forced her opponent’s to fight her more conservatively, which she believes isn’t helpful considering the challenges that are ahead.

“I don’t think girls were as aggressive with me as they would have been if I were unknown,” she said. “They were concerned more about the defense. And I know for sure in the UFC, the girls there, they don’t care; they’re going to try and beat me up. So I feel like, for me to get better, all the attention made it a little harder for me.”

“But I don’t really think about it too much; If people think that I’m so good or they think that I’m so bad,” added Dern. “I just try and think about what’s the best for me. I’ve done so much with jiu-jitsu. So I’m glad to take that attention with me to MMA, but for sure I want to be able to build my own story in MMA, with my own accomplishments as not just a jiu-jitsu fighter, but an all round MMA fighter, too.”

Also look out for the Women's Flyweight title fight. Jennifer Maia is the number one ranked Flyweight in the world and Niedzwiedz is ranked third. Both ladies likely be called up to help bolster the new UFC Flyweight division.

Edited by Jolldan, 08 December 2017 - 02:15 AM.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#16 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

King of the Ring.

• Ultimate
  • 50,564 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:05 AM

Why in the hell is she fighting Medeiros already? Dern is going to get **** up.

amazin

#17 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:18 AM

Why in the hell is she fighting Medeiros already? Dern is going to get **** up.

Been submitted twice already bet they weren't at Dern's level.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#18 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

King of the Ring.

• Ultimate
  • 50,564 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:24 AM

Been submitted twice already bet they weren't at Dern's level.

I've seen every one of her fights on TV, ans I assure you, none of the girls she fought strikes like Medeiros. They were all straight up cans, and Dern hasn't exactly dominated them either.

amazin

#19 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Disrespect the Legend

• Free
  • 26,279 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:33 AM

Why do I keep getting Mackenzie Dern and Grasso mixed up in my mind?  Which is the one who faked an accent all of a sudden?

England may have invented the game but Australia perfected it. Long may The Ashes stay in their rightful home, GOATstraya

#20 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 9,872 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:52 AM

id smash them both at any given notice

then again thats not saying much. i'd smash anything that has a hole to accomodate me

#21 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

King of the Ring.

• Ultimate
  • 50,564 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:19 AM

Why do I keep getting Mackenzie Dern and Grasso mixed up in my mind? Which is the one who faked an accent all of a sudden?

Dern is progressing backwards into a Brazilian, despite growing up in America.
  • Bubba_Sparks likes this

amazin