Photo

Michael Bisping explains why he asked for short notice bout with Kelvin Gastelum

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

xMichael-Bisping.png.pagespeed.ic.s5cS8H

A little over a week removed from his submission loss to Georges St-Pierre – which was preceded by quite a bit of blunt force trauma – former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is already scheduled for another fight. Having stepped in to replace Anderson Silva, who was notified of a potential USADA violation, Bisping is now set to face Kelvin Gastelum in the main event of the UFC’s debut in Shanghai on November 26.

Speaking to FloCombat just hours after this bout was announced, Bisping explained his choice to step in against Gastelum.

“I can’t see how I cannot take this fight,” Bisping said “I’m serious because the homework is done. I’ve got no injuries, I like to fight and I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth from my last performance. That’s what’s bothering me. The UFC head of legal, Hunter Campbell, he was checking ‘Are you OK, are you OK?’ and physically I’m fine. Mentally, I’m very frustrated.”

“So this gives me a chance to exorcize my demons and get some decent mental space back,” he continued. “Physically, I’m totally fine. Mentally, I’m pissed off. So for me it’s almost a gift from the gods.”

Bisping then explained that, while he was involved in a pretty taxing contest less than two weeks ago, he’s undergone some testing and has been given the physical ‘ok’ by doctors and UFC President Dana White.

“I text [UFC President Dana White] saying ‘I see that Gastelum needs an opponent’ and that I know a guy that fought last week that has no injuries,” Bisping said. “He texts back ‘interesting’ and I said ‘very.’ Then he called me. Obviously he was concerned that I had no injuries or anything like that. I had to do some medical tests or whatever and when he was satisfied, he was like ‘Cool let’s do it.’

“He was over the moon. He couldn’t believe it.”

While Michael Bisping has plenty of respect for Kelvin Gastelum, he’s hoping to use this last-minute fight to return to the win column, and set up a retirement fight in London in March.

“At the end of the day, I respect Kelvin. He’s a great fighter, but it’s nothing about Kelvin. I just, for me, obviously I was upset about how the fight went and I’ve been a bit depressed and this came up and the best way to get rid of that is to just get right back in there.”

“Hopefully I can go out in a couple of weeks and get back in the win column so I can sleep well at night. Plus I can stick a few more dollars in the bank account and then I’ll have my final fight in London in March.”

• AndyWang, DoomPatrol and Eclipse76 like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#2 AndyWang

AndyWang
  • Elite
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hate Bisping all you want people but he’s a damn living legend

Let’s go Bisping!!!!
  • Decompoze, Eclipse76, PunchBag and 7 others like this

#3 SmoothCriminal

SmoothCriminal
  • Free
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

Better question is who the retirement fight is gonna be against

#4 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

Let’s go Bisping!!!!

Can admit I wanted nothing more than for GSP to smoosh Bisping's face in to the canvas for five rounds.

Now that's it happened I feel like I can enjoy his fights again lol

Just seen the odds and Bisping's opened as the underdog.

Yoel or Luke would be the biggest fights left for him I think.

Edited by Jolldan, 13 November 2017 - 08:07 AM.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#5 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:08 AM

Let’s go Bisping!!!!

After London - Retires to a permanent position in the NWO, where he fits perfectly.

#6 CanPass

CanPass
  • Free
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

Fighting on pure emotion now may just get himself knocked out this time.

#7 IRT.

IRT.

LEAFS NATION MOFOS

• Free
  • 24,733 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

I hope Bisping wins.

side note - why hasn't kelvin dropped back down to 170 yet?

• Eclipse76 and Jolldan like this

IRT/

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/
giphy.gif

#8 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

I hope Bisping wins.

If he loses against Bisping I see him going back down.

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#9 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

I hope Bisping wins.

Can't make weight and as a result - there's this:

https://www.bloodyel...future-mma-news

#10 JSW

JSW
  • Free
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:45 AM

Think it will be Yoel in London

#11 AndyWang

AndyWang
  • Elite
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

i think they want to guarantee Bisping a win and at the same time send someone packing

With that said, BISPING VS FAT BOY HENDRICKS IN LONDON

#12 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 9,622 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

At this point, he knows he is in only for some pay checks because he aint getting another shot again. He knows that his 'title story' was a true Cinderella story.

So he might as well start to collect those pay checks now and fight anyone/anytime.

Huge respect for the quick turn around. He is getting bodied tho.

• DoomPatrol, freddievanhalen3, Omoplataypus and 2 others like this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"Who tha fook is that guy ?"

"I wove you Mi"

#13 DoomPatrol

DoomPatrol
  • Free
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Got to respect that attitude.

• skillandpower and jaybird86 like this

#14 PunchBag

PunchBag

Take Your Best Shot..

• Free
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

Bisping is the greatest fighter in combat sports today.

Real nice guy and loves his fans

Edited by PunchBag, 13 November 2017 - 02:23 PM.

brZ51I9.jpg

#15 razer057

razer057
  • Free
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

Couldn't help but notice the absence of trash talk in those statements.

Who would've thought it would take a Canadian of all people to humble the "Count".

#16 agtx

agtx
  • Free
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Cause hes probably not going for takedowns & hes smaller than him & hes the least scary top 10 guy, perfect for duckping.

VoKJm_s-200x150.gif

#17 CanPass

CanPass
  • Free
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

Cause hes probably not going for takedowns & hes smaller than him & hes the least scary top 10 guy, perfect for duckping.

He put Chris Weidman on his azz and almost finished him if i believe it wasn't for the round ending.

#18 GoToGuy

GoToGuy
  • Free
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

Coming out of retirement, Hendo, to beat him a third time?

#19 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

Lmfao he's stepping up with three weeks notice and you still call him duckping. Pathetic.

conair.gif?w=780

#20 RazorRam0n

RazorRam0n
  • Free
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

Someone put bisduck on suicide watch when fatselum puts him to sleep as well

C0_x_H5t_Us_AAUx_KQ_1.gif

#21 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 23,305 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:55 PM

so CriedCan then beats him in London and cries for a title shot

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION                 UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 14 CHAMPION

2015 CAMP LEAGUE CHAMPION                             P4P AUSSIE HYPE TRAIN CONTROLLER

v4MjFdj.png

#22 DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

Still a ShowGOAT fan. Suck it.

• Ultimate
  • 48,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:57 AM

Lmfao he's stepping up with three weeks notice and you still call him duckping. Pathetic.

Taking a fight against another WW is still not taking a fight with a top contender. 

I don't use the "Duckping" thing, but clearly he is avoiding the top contenders. I can't see how someone could dispute that.

Champion of Survivor Series IX, Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-7-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#23 JSW

JSW
  • Free
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:11 AM

Taking a fight against another WW is still not taking a fight with a top contender.

I don't use the "Duckping" thing, but clearly he is avoiding the top contenders. I can't see how someone could dispute that.

He's fighting march 17th regardless so it was either jump right in or wit until then. If it was gastelum pulling out I'm sure he'd step in and fight Silva again. We'll see who he gets in London, if he gets Rockhold/Romero or someone like Fatricks or some other can at 185. Until that's happened you can't say he's trying to avoid because he's taken a fight on short notice because it's 1)money and 2)to avenge that loss. This is just a little extra before his last fight but you immediately go for he's just a fat WW, it's not like he chose him he's stepped in to save a card
  • jaybird86 likes this

#24 DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

• Ultimate
  • 48,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

He's fighting march 17th regardless so it was either jump right in or wit until then. If it was gastelum pulling out I'm sure he'd step in and fight Silva again. We'll see who he gets in London, if he gets Rockhold/Romero or someone like Fatricks or some other can at 185. Until that's happened you can't say he's trying to avoid because he's taken a fight on short notice because it's 1)money and 2)to avenge that loss. This is just a little extra before his last fight but you immediately go for he's just a fat WW, it's not like he chose him he's stepped in to save a card

This fight is actually against the most worthy contender since he's won the title.

But it doesn't erase the Henderson or GSP fights. He still passed on a plethora of worthy contenders to fight idiots.
Champion of Survivor Series IX, Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png

amazin

#25 JSW

JSW
  • Free
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:24 AM

This fight is actually against the most worthy contender since he's won the title.

But it doesn't erase the Henderson or GSP fights. He still passed on a plethora of worthy contenders to fight idiots.

If it was Conor demanding and getting what he wants I'd give you that. GSP happened because of GSP, he was clearly the draw and point of that whole fight. Time and time again we've heard it was the UFC that made the Hendo fight while MW top 4 all got a win. He probably should of fought Jacare, who Rockhold ducked at 199, but he had lost albeit controversially to Roidmero. Bisping just takes what's given unfortunately for him it has a stigma about it. Also didn't he sign saying he'd do tuf (for the 4th time) against either Romero or Whittaker and fight the winner?

#26 DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

• Ultimate
  • 48,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:36 AM

We both know that will never happen. He says a lot of things. Whether they happen or not is a different story.

amazin

#27 OzPride

OzPride

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 23,305 posts
  • LocationOztralia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:56 AM

lol @ Bisping is fighting in London regardless. Not if he gets brutally KTFO and hit with a 6 month concussion suspension, which if you re-watch the end of round one when KELGOAT deaded CriedCan but was stopped by the bell, is a very possible outcome

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION                 UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 14 CHAMPION

2015 CAMP LEAGUE CHAMPION                             P4P AUSSIE HYPE TRAIN CONTROLLER

v4MjFdj.png

#28 agtx

agtx
  • Free
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:18 AM

Ducking the top guys like he has been for over a year, fatselum is #10 or something, you make me laugh

VoKJm_s-200x150.gif

#29 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Disrespect the Legend

• Free
  • 25,228 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:26 AM

Ducking the top guys like he has been for over a year, fatselum is #10 or something, you make me laugh

Still rustled by him I see. Good good.

Winning coach of 2016 Camps League - Team FRANKLIN

Chief of the Rich "Ace" Franklin fan-club

Founder of the welcoming/rehabillitation team

rich-franklin.jpg

#30 bandicoot

bandicoot
  • Free
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Bisping is a warrior but he is going to get slept by 2 ww in a row

#31 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:13 AM

23622278_1512347278801217_59202123867277

What a horrible poster lol

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#32 DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

DP_and_TSU_DPed_JP

• Ultimate
  • 48,168 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:14 AM

They shooped Mike's eye. lol
  • jaybird86 likes this

amazin

#33 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

I don't understand this whole puppet/puppeteer presentation.  They've used it since Cormier and Rumble in Buffalo.

#34 Druncle_Polo

Druncle_Polo

8/8

• Free
  • 26,966 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:12 AM

LoL Spits got finished by Grease.

He should retire.

410686994.jpg