• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,277 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

http://www.iflscienc...is-car-to-mars/

Elon Musk has made a rather bizarre announcement on Twitter, claiming the first launch of his new mega-rocket will be used to take his very own Tesla Roadster to Mars.

This new rocket is the Falcon Heavy, which will be the most powerful rocket currently in operation when it launches. The rocket has been continuously delayed, with the latest launch date of December 2017 slipping to January 2018.

Musk has made no secret about how risky this first launch will be, however. While there will be no one on board the rocket, he has repeatedly said that the Falcon Heavy may very well explode on the launch pad at Kennedy Space Center in Florida when it attempts to take off.

For that reason, there has been a lot of talk about what this rocket would actually take to space, given that there's a decent chance it won't work at all. And, well, that was seemingly revealed in a tweet by Musk on Friday.

“Payload will be my midnight cherry Tesla Roadster playing Space Oddity,” he said, possibly referring to this car.

“Destination is Mars orbit. Will be in deep space for a billion years or so if it doesn’t blow up on ascent.”

Payload will be my midnight cherry Tesla Roadster playing Space Oddity. Destination is Mars orbit. Will be in deep space for a billion years or so if it doesn’t blow up on ascent.

The tweet sparked a flurry of excitement, and also some confusion. People weren't sure if Musk was joking, or if he was being serious.

He seemingly confirmed to The Verge that yes, he was sending his Tesla to space. Then he told them he “totally made it up”, before later clarifying to other outlets that, no, he was being serious.

“Musk confirmed that this plan is, indeed, real,” said Ars Technica. “Another SpaceX official also said the Tesla payload was very much real.”

No other details have yet been released, but speaking to Phil Plait over at Syfy, Musk did say it wouldn't quite be going to Mars. Instead, it would be placed in what's called a Hohmann transfer orbit, which is one that merely swings past the orbital path of Mars, and not necessarily the planet itself.

My only thought on this is "Why?"

I love the thought of a car drifting apparently endlessly through space and perhaps being discovered by an alien race millions of years in the future

Ever the showman, this would not be the first time Musk had done something a bit wacky with new hardware. In 2010, he placed a wheel of cheese on the first launch of SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft, a reference to Monty Python.

Putting a Tesla on a rocket and launching it to Mars is perhaps a bit more impressive, though. You can be pretty certain there'll be some cameras on board to capture all this if it does happen, considering the cross promotion (and free advertising) it'll give both Tesla and SpaceX.

A red car for a Red Planet, as Musk put it.

• Eclipse76 and TheSinisterUrge like this

#2 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

has this guy been huffing paint with doug?   first of all this guy is an idiot and his chit will blow up at launch

second of all if it even makes it there, whats the point of putting a car on mars? its not like theres gonna be enough oxygen to even start the car. there are no roads there. and lastly,  the closest gas station is 34 million miles away.

Edited by -idyb-, 03 December 2017 - 11:45 AM.

• TheSinisterUrge likes this

#3 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

More like 90 million miles away, but I get your point.  I'm not really sure what Musk intends to prove with this?  Oh, there's a market out there for retards that have to have the Tesla that's in orbit around Mars?

Jesus...

Seen: 167, 168, 173vip, 175vip/expo, 178vip, 183vip, Fight Night 73nashville, 192vip, TUF 22 Finalevip, Fight Night 81boston, Fight Night 90vegas/vip, TUF 23 Finalevip, 200vip, 201vip, 203vip

#4 xFINISHxHIMx

xFINISHxHIMx

Banned

• Banned
  • 38,017 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

He proves that other planets aren't NASAs property. I like it. Must be fun to be a multi billionaire with his own Mars Rover.
  • Eclipse76 and chons like this

#5 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

And on a slightly different note..

I have a colleague that put down the $1000 deposit for one of these new Teslas...with the biodegradable interiors...

WTF does that mean?  A corn husk seat?  This is STUPID.

And yet they did it anyway.

I'm not one of these drones...

Seen: 167, 168, 173vip, 175vip/expo, 178vip, 183vip, Fight Night 73nashville, 192vip, TUF 22 Finalevip, Fight Night 81boston, Fight Night 90vegas/vip, TUF 23 Finalevip, 200vip, 201vip, 203vip

#6 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

He proves that other planets aren't NASAs property. I like it. Must be fun to be a multi billionaire with his own Mars Rover.

NASA hasn't ever said that planets are its property...or acted like it.  We've always encouraged other space agencies to explore space.

• Omoplataypus, TigerChamp and cashfl0w like this

#7 xFINISHxHIMx

xFINISHxHIMx

Banned

• Banned
  • 38,017 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

NASA hasn't ever said that planets are its property...or acted like it. We've always encouraged other space agencies to explore space.

We? You working for NASA?

#8 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,277 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

I think the explanation to the car thing is rather simple. The rocket needs cargo... Need I explain further??? 

• amunera and TigerChamp like this

#9 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,277 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

first of all this guy is an idiot and his chit will blow up at launch

And you are?

#10 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

Forum Champion

• Moderators
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationGOATstraya

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

it's just a cool PR move to hype the ship and give Tesla more exposure. If the rocket blows up what does Elon lose? 

• Eclipse76, amunera and chons like this
nicolas_cage_breeze.0.gif

#11 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

Forum Champion

• Moderators
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationGOATstraya

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

And on a slightly different note..

I have a colleague that put down the $1000 deposit for one of these new Teslas...with the biodegradable interiors...

WTF does that mean?  A corn husk seat?  This is STUPID.

And yet they did it anyway.

I'm not one of these drones...

Plastics that are non biodegradable are concentrating in waterways to ridiculous levels and poisoning both the water itself and the food chain, modern cars use a lot of plastic and have a relatively short life span so it makes sense to switch to biodegradable materials where possible.

• Eclipse76, Bubba_Sparks, amunera and 1 other like this

#12 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Disrespect the Legend

• Free
  • 26,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

Plastics that are non biodegradable are concentrating in waterways to ridiculous levels and poisoning both the water itself and the food chain, modern cars use a lot of plastic and have a relatively short life span so it makes sense to switch to biodegradable materials where possible.

Don't be daft mate, who'd drive a corn husk???

I really need to start my plastics in the sea thread......It's bothering me.

• Eclipse76, TigerChamp and chons like this

England may have invented the game but Australia perfected it. Long may The Ashes stay in their rightful home, GOATstraya

#13 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

Forum Champion

• Moderators
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationGOATstraya

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

Don't be daft mate, who'd drive a corn husk???

I really need to start my plastics in the sea thread......It's bothering me.

Did you see the story a couple of days ago about the lobster with a pepsi logo in its claw? 

That 16 year old kid who designed an autonomous rubbish collector for the ocean needs to stop being lazy and get to work.

• Eclipse76, Bubba_Sparks, amunera and 1 other like this

#14 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

Forum Champion

• Moderators
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationGOATstraya

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

There was a call for a worldwide ban on glitter the other day too.

Theres an easy joke in here but im too lazy.

• Eclipse76, Bubba_Sparks, amunera and 2 others like this

#15 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Disrespect the Legend

• Free
  • 26,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

Did you see the story a couple of days ago about the lobster with a pepsi logo in its claw? 

That 16 year old kid who designed an autonomous rubbish collector for the ocean needs to stop being lazy and get to work.

Yeah.  There was a thing at the end of one of the Blue Planet episodes that was heart-breaking to watch.  Such an easily preventable problem.

Lol, what a loser.  Kid should be chasing wimmens.

• Eclipse76, amunera, TigerChamp and 1 other like this

England may have invented the game but Australia perfected it. Long may The Ashes stay in their rightful home, GOATstraya

#16 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,277 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Yeah.  There was a thing at the end of one of the Blue Planet episodes that was heart-breaking to watch.  Such an easily preventable problem.

Lol, what a loser.  Kid should be chasing wimmens.

I can't bring myself to watch Blue Planet. Environmental/animal news is too much for me these days. 

• Bubba_Sparks, amunera and TigerChamp like this

#17 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

And you are?

do what now?

#18 I_Take_Roids_m8

I_Take_Roids_m8

#1 Volkan fan and leader of the Oez MILITIA

• Free
  • 7,165 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

Super rich people are morons for the most part.
  • cashfl0w likes this
AVRpt9W.jpg

#19 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:52 AM

We? You working for NASA?

Yep.

• TheSinisterUrge, chons and cashfl0w like this

#20 Jason_H.

Jason_H.
  • Free
  • 9,664 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

This guy is a joke.  His ideas are not feasible.  His company, Tesla, is a good battery company, but his ideas and inventions that are other than batter is a joke.  He has all this money from investors so of course he's going to try this and that etc.  He's basically playing with investors' money. 

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the Bubba_Sparks Welcoming/Rehabillitation Team

#21 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Disrespect the Legend

• Free
  • 26,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

This guy is a joke.  His ideas are not feasible.  His company, Tesla, is a good battery company, but his ideas and inventions that are other than batter is a joke.  He has all this money from investors so of course he's going to try this and that etc.  He's basically playing with investors' money. 

Um, with respect Jason, I don't think you know much about Musk.

He became a billionaire mainly through co-founding PayPal (not bad for a joke!).  His mission, which i assume all his investors are well aware of, is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable living.  That's a worthier mission than most CEO's of big business don't you think?

By the way, he has >20% stake in Tesla, so he's also playing around with his own money.  Given the performance of he stock over the past 4 years, i doubt that many are complaining!

131025095317-tesla-stock-1024x576.png

• sobercuban, TigerChamp, chons and 1 other like this

#22 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

Forum Champion

• Moderators
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationGOATstraya

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

Smh head jason...
  • sobercuban, amunera, chons and 1 other like this

#23 Jason_H.

Jason_H.
  • Free
  • 9,664 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

Um, with respect Jason, I don't think you know much about Musk.

He became a billionaire mainly through co-founding PayPal (not bad for a joke!).  His mission, which i assume all his investors are well aware of, is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable living.  That's a worthier mission than most CEO's of big business don't you think?

By the way, he has >20% stake in Tesla, so he's also playing around with his own money.  Given the performance of he stock over the past 4 years, i doubt that many are complaining!

131025095317-tesla-stock-1024x576.png

I still stand by my statement.  I'm not refuting that he is a billionaire.  I'm not refuting that he has a vision.  What I am saying is - he is foolishly playing with investors' money. 

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the Bubba_Sparks Welcoming/Rehabillitation Team

#24 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Disrespect the Legend

• Free
  • 26,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

I still stand by my statement.  I'm not refuting that he is a billionaire.  I'm not refuting that he has a vision.  What I am saying is - he is foolishly playing with investors' money. 

He's increased the value of his investor's investment four-fold in four years.  That's hard evidence that he is not foolishly playing with his investor's money.

Are you still standing by your statement that he's a joke?

Edited by Bubba_Sparks, 04 December 2017 - 05:04 PM.

• sobercuban, amunera, TigerChamp and 1 other like this

#25 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 57,220 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:31 PM

Stop whatever you are doing and smash your face in to your keyboard as hard as possible.  

• amunera and cashfl0w like this

post-406774-0-12678100-1439418105.gif

post-406774-0-05914100-1428435713.jpg

#26 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 57,220 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

He's increased the value of his investor's investment four-fold in four years.  That's hard evidence that he is not foolishly playing with his investor's money.

Of course he is.  Easier to double down on an idiotic statement rather than admit you have no idea what you're talking about.  

• amunera likes this

post-406774-0-12678100-1439418105.gif

post-406774-0-05914100-1428435713.jpg

#27 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

Forum Champion

• Moderators
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationGOATstraya

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

I still stand by my statement. I'm not refuting that he is a billionaire. I'm not refuting that he has a vision. What I am saying is - he is foolishly playing with investors' money.

Your commitment to being wrong is commendable

#28 Rastajambo

Rastajambo

Team Bombo Klatt

• Free
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

has this guy been huffing paint with doug?   first of all this guy is an idiot and his chit will blow up at launch

second of all if it even makes it there, whats the point of putting a car on mars? its not like theres gonna be enough oxygen to even start the car. there are no roads there. and lastly,  the closest gas station is 34 million miles away.

he should just give me his cars and he can put mine on Mars...

• crangs, chons and -idyb- like this

abd-75.gif

UFC Fight Night 72  

UFC Fight Night 76  

UFC Fight Night 84 

UFC Fight Night 113

#29 Rastajambo

Rastajambo

Team Bombo Klatt

• Free
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

Stop whatever you are doing and smash your face in to your keyboard as hard as possible.  

im liking the sobercuban hate for Jason H...long may it continue  - ill keep eating my popcorn like the childsnatcher thriller-six.jpg

• sobercuban and Omoplataypus like this

abd-75.gif

UFC Fight Night 72  

UFC Fight Night 76  

UFC Fight Night 84 

UFC Fight Night 113

#30 TheGreatCatpiss

TheGreatCatpiss
  • Free
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Kind of a logical fallacy there. Who knows how that pepsi can go there, in that circumstance. Was a recycling plant tossing cans into the ocean? Could it simply be that some kid threw a can off a boat?  I'm not saying that there isn't a garbage problem, but a lobster with a pepsi can doesn't really tell us much.

And per the comparison...  Do we have a problem with people dumping cars into the ocean?

I do think that the biodegradable interiors are pretty neat and that there is a place for them.  I do also wonder how long they will last.  They do feel pretty cheap.  I've been in a few electric cars that have them.

That's cool stuff.  We need more of it.

Edited by TheGreatCatpiss, 04 December 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#31 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

Forum Champion

• Moderators
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationGOATstraya

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

Kind of a logical fallacy there. Who knows how that pepsi can go there, in that circumstance. Was a recycling plant tossing cans into the ocean? Could it simply be that some kid threw a can off a boat? I'm not saying that there isn't a garbage problem, but a lobster with a pepsi can doesn't really tell us much.

And per the comparison... Do we have a problem with people dumping cars into the ocean?

I do think that the biodegradable interiors are pretty neat and that there is a place for them. I do also wonder how long they will last. They do feel pretty cheap. I've been in a few electric cars that have them.

That's cool stuff. We need more of it.

with the lobster i wasnt being entirely serious, although it did happen no one is sure of the cause. There is some recent studies that have found plastic microparticles in the bottom of the mariana trench and concentrated in many of the lifeforms there.
Couldnt tell you how many cars get dumped, but millions of cars come off the road every year and they have to go somewhere. Atm mostly the metal gets recycled, so anything to make it easier and more efficient

#32 TheGreatCatpiss

TheGreatCatpiss
  • Free
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

To be fair, he is very good at selling hype. Most of the stock value is and has been based on hype.  If anyone can convert that hype into reality, it is Musk.  We have seen it with Space X, for example.

He is incredible at marketing his ideas and getting the funding that he needs.  He is incredibly intelligent.  He has a lot of ambition.  He attracts top talent to work for him.  He is very narcissistic (Trump level).  He also cheats on his girlfriends and wives.  

#33 TheGreatCatpiss

TheGreatCatpiss
  • Free
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:51 PM

with the lobster i wasnt being entirely serious, although it did happen no one is sure of the cause. 

Well the media went full libtard with it. 

Headlines...

"Lobster found with Pepsi logo 'tattoo' fuels fears over ocean litter"

"Lobster's Pepsi Logo 'Tattoo' Raises Alarm Over Ocean Trash | Time"

Edited by TheGreatCatpiss, 04 December 2017 - 10:52 PM.

• TigerChamp likes this

#34 crangs

crangs

14-14-1 career

• Free
  • 20,465 posts
  • Locationin the Can aisle of your local prediction tournament

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

*insert girlgettinghitinthefacewithhotdogs gif

#35 TheGreatCatpiss

TheGreatCatpiss
  • Free
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

BTW, Tesla basically partnered with Panasonic for battery technology. 

Japanese rechargeable batteries made by Panasonic Eneloop and Fujitsu are the best.  If you do buy Eneloops or Fujitsu batteries, make sure they were made in Japan.

Panasonic losing money helping Tesla with batteries

Panasonic battery production at Tesla Gigafactory

#36 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

King of the Ring.

• Ultimate
  • 50,371 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

The craziest part is that he isn't even trolling. He is just genuinely wrong about everything.
  • sobercuban likes this
Champion of Survivor Series IX, Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 
UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 24-7-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#37 Omoplataypus

Omoplataypus

Still Kelvins #1 fan, he'll be back

• Free
  • 15,914 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

NASA hasn't ever said that planets are its property...or acted like it. We've always encouraged other space agencies to explore space.

Rekt
!!! WAR KELGOAT The uncrowned WW champ
Check out my Youtube channel here-
https://www.youtube....downey73/videos

Bubba drink the fluoride !

#38 Omoplataypus

Omoplataypus

Still Kelvins #1 fan, he'll be back

• Free
  • 15,914 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

Yep.

Rekt x10
  • cashfl0w likes this
!!! WAR KELGOAT The uncrowned WW champ
Check out my Youtube channel here-
https://www.youtube....downey73/videos

Bubba drink the fluoride !

#39 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

I don't know much about biodegradable car interiors so reading up on them. May not be the best thing for me as I tend to drive a car til the wheels fall off. Not really interested in changing out interiors every couple of years...not unless prices come way down. And UV radiation in AL six months out of the year is brutal. I assume that they'd have to tint the windows or something to keep out as much sunlight as possible. Not a bad thing.
  • TigerChamp likes this

#40 TigerChamp

TigerChamp

Forum Champion

• Moderators
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationGOATstraya

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:13 AM

I don't know much about biodegradable car interiors so reading up on them. May not be the best thing for me as I tend to drive a car til the wheels fall off. Not really interested in changing out interiors every couple of years...not unless prices come way down. And UV radiation in AL six months out of the year is brutal. I assume that they'd have to tint the windows or something to keep out as much sunlight as possible. Not a bad thing.

Im no expert but I do know there is a variety of different biodegradable plastics available with different lifespans, many of which require microorganisms to metabolize them to break down, so under normal conditions id have to imagine they would have a lifespan relative to that of a modern car. There are also a lot of natural material alternatives that would be useful for some applications and would be comparable with their man made counterparts.

Have to remember this is all speculation and quite new, I dont know how many manufacturers are switching to these materials other than Tesla as you mentioned, which was still an optional addition, but I do know that modern cars have a lot of plastic panels and parts in them, and that regulation is tightening around the world in regard to the use of plastics, due to the evidence that we have contaminated pretty much everywhere possible with the stuff.

On a side note i feel you on the UV situation, here in Aus the sun is a different beast, it destroys everything it touches lol

• Joby likes this