15 replies to this topic

#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,232 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:39 AM

24683ba45a26d50e1531f171ef53743f.png

According to new research, a distant planet beyond the solar system could have a lot in common with Earth - including the prospect of life.

*Cues The X-Files theme tune*

The faraway exoplanet, which is known as K2-18b, could be a scaled-up version of Earth. The planet orbits within its star's habitable zone, which means it could hold liquid water on its surface - a key factor needed to sustain alien life.

The new study from researchers at the University of Texas discovered that the planet is either a mostly rocky planet with a gaseous atmosphere, just like Earth, or a mostly water planet with a thick layer of ice on top of it.

4b1e1c515a26b5b9600ab8665c585a76.jpg

Trying to find out whether the planet is more like a scaled-down version of Neptune made mostly of gas, or a scaled-up version of Earth made mostly of rock, the researchers used radial velocity measurements of its star, and a machine learning calculator.

"If you can get the mass and radius, you can measure the bulk density of the planet and that can tell you what the bulk of the planet is made of," said lead author Ryan Cloutier, of the University of Montreal, as reported in the Daily Mail.

The study also found that K2-18b even has a neighbour, K2-18c. However, while it also appears to be a super Earth and is closer to both planets' star (red-dwarf K2-18, which is located 111 light years from Earth) - it is likely to be too hot to be in the habitable zone. Probably no aliens here then.

They're clearly more interested in K2-18b, with researchers saying the planet will be a prime target for Nasa's James Webb Space telescope, which will launch in 2019.

"With the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) we can probe the atmosphere and see whether it has an extensive atmosphere or it's a planet covered in water," Mr Cloutier said, which means they could determine if the planet is more like Neptune or the Earth that we know and love.

Study co-author Professor René Doyon, also from the University of Montreal, added: "There's a lot of demand to use this telescope, so you have to be meticulous in choosing which exoplanets to look at.

"K2-18b is now one of the best targets for atmospheric study, it's going to the near top of the list."

I'd just like to take this opportunity to give a friendly wave to potentially new pals over on K2-18b, in the hope that they will like us, and not want to death-ray us out of existence

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#2 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

sup bro, whats your thoughts on this?

#3 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

maxresdefault.jpg

• Eclipse76, Omoplataypus, chons and 1 other like this

#4 classicboxer

classicboxer

• Free
  • 18,036 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

maxresdefault.jpg

Michael Bisping to GSP: I’m going to hit you so hard, you’ll think you’ve been abducted by aliens

#5 SVTContour98

SVTContour98
  • Free
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

we can't even get real-life pictures of Earth, what makes you believe any of this?

#Flathearth

#Getwoke

• -idyb- likes this

3 Facts Everyone Must Face:

#1 If there is no God, then your life has no objective meaning.

#2 You didn't bring yourself into this World, and you cannot ultimately prevent your Death.

#3 Jesus Existed.

PM to discuss<

#6 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 8,232 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:32 AM

we can't even get real-life pictures of Earth, what makes you believe any of this?

#Flathearth

#Getwoke

You're just not woke enough for me bro

1kb81u.jpg

• SVTContour98, Eclipse76 and -idyb- like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#7 SVTContour98

SVTContour98
  • Free
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:39 AM

1kb81u.jpg

I had the biggest flowage to my crotch ever just now

• -idyb- likes this

3 Facts Everyone Must Face:

#1 If there is no God, then your life has no objective meaning.

#2 You didn't bring yourself into this World, and you cannot ultimately prevent your Death.

#3 Jesus Existed.

PM to discuss<

#8 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

Michael Bisping to GSP: I’m going to hit you so hard, you’ll think you’ve been abducted by aliens

i dont think michael bisping can talk when gsp flatlined him and then choked him the fook right out.

thankfully big john stepped in there, saved bispings life, and stopped his pour soul from floating all the way to andromeda

#9 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

#Flathearth

#Getwoke

From 1966

153534main_image_feature_623_ys_full.jpg

• xFINISHxHIMx likes this

#10 xFINISHxHIMx

xFINISHxHIMx

UNDISPUTED EA UFC 2 FORUM CHAMPION

• Free
  • 37,792 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Up up and awaaay

I'm not the best… I just believe that I can do things that people think are impossible.

And at least I am no former Junkie that is all that matters.

#11 xFINISHxHIMx

xFINISHxHIMx

UNDISPUTED EA UFC 2 FORUM CHAMPION

• Free
  • 37,792 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

From 1966
153534main_image_feature_623_ys_full.jpg

Did you not get the news? Apparently the moon landing was fake cause it cannot
co-exist with the flat-earth theory.

Lol some people are idiots.
  • chons likes this

I'm not the best… I just believe that I can do things that people think are impossible.

And at least I am no former Junkie that is all that matters.

#12 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

Did you not get the news? Apparently the moon landing was fake cause it cannot
co-exist with the flat-earth theory.

Lol some people are idiots.

I still fail to see how the whole Earth is a ball (oblate spheroid to be exact), lie is going to "control the masses", it's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. 

• Bubba_Sparks and xFINISHxHIMx like this

#13 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

I still fail to see how the whole Earth is a ball (oblate spheroid to be exact), lie is going to "control the masses", it's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. 

you obv skipped out of your HS physics clases I see......

#14 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

1kb81u.jpg

donut earth?   you could just take a large bite out of those words and then all youd be left with is Do h

i shall name this planet Homer

Edited by -idyb-, 06 December 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#15 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

you obv skipped out of your HS physics clases I see......

Since the Earth is flattened at the poles and bulges at the equator, geodesy represents the shape of the Earth with an oblate spheroid. The oblate spheroid, or oblate ellipsoid, is an ellipsoid of revolution obtained by rotating an ellipse about its shorter axis.

You were saying?

#16 sobercuban

sobercuban

Laugh it up!

• Moderators
  • 56,418 posts
  • LocationYer face

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

I wonder how many people see that article and think those are real photos of said planet

• Eclipse76 and amunera like this

post-406774-0-12678100-1439418105.gif

post-406774-0-05914100-1428435713.jpg