Sign in to follow this  
Kookork

NGannou , Good Or Bad for MMA

I am excited to witness NGannou vs Stipe as anybody else, don't get me wrong. He has a decent chance because if Overeem connected to Stipe's chin NGannou also has a chance but he hits like meteorite.. 

As UFC and Media try to make him a star they emphasize on him being a homeless guy just a few years ago in Paris, no real sport background and no proper training . That is his story. He is the guy who went from homeless to fighting for belt in couple of years if you consider the time he has been training proper MMA .

We all love the Rockyish story , who doesn't ? But the same fact that a guy can turn to a UFC champ with no sport background in such a short period , believe it or not, shows that our sport is so shallow when it comes to heavyweight. 

Problem is ,  hardcore UFC fans know this only happens in HW but general public looks at it and says :

if a guy can get to  the top in couple of years then the sport is still in infancy if not kind of joke.

So will NGannou be a good thing or bad thing for MMA in future? I am not sure.

What do you think?

• Like 3

He's a good thing in a sense that he sets an example for equally athletic giants.

By the same token, it does make you question the "sport" of MMA. Guys like Ngannou or Eryk Anders, who weren't "mixed martial artists" per se, can walk into the sport and dominate people that have focused on it their whole lives, simply because of their pure athleticism. It gives people, and rightfully so, the impression that it's a sport full of the unathletic.

• Like 6

Superstars are the ones who take this sport to next level but should they really? then aren't we too dependent on them after they get to super star power?

In your opinion, how could he be bad for the sport?

He couldn't be any worse than Conor, Jon Jones, or CM Punk

Good listbut from these three example, Conor is not active, Jon Jones the same , Punk has no value to go up . So stars come and go too fast these days. 

But this is not Conor thread or Jones. It is about long term influence of Ngannou on sport.

The visual works and he has an incredible backstory. You're right about the hardcore fans knowing this is a phenomenon exclusive to the HW division, but I don't think it damages the credibility of the sport to the public. The public and the casual fanbase are fickle enough as it is, so I doubt any analysis runs that deep on their part.

• Like 3

Good listbut from these three example, Conor is not active, Jon Jones the same , Punk has no value to go up . So stars come and go too fast these days.

But this is not Conor thread or Jones. It is about long term influence of Ngannou on sport.

What I'm saying is, if Conor can come in and dirty up MMA with all these "money fights" and not defending belts, Jon Jones fight career filled with scandal after scandal in spite of having the most impressive UFC resume in recent history, and CM Punk having a popular name while getting destroyed in the Octagon, how could Ngannou be any worse for the sport?

If anything, MMA needs HIM.

• Like 4

What I'm saying is, if Conor can come in and dirty up MMA with all these "money fights" and not defending belts, Jon Jones fight career filled with scandal after scandal in spite of having the most impressive UFC resume in recent history, and CM Punk having a popular name while getting destroyed in the Octagon, how could Ngannou be any worse for the sport?

If anything, MMA needs HIM.

In short term yes we need any star we can get let alone superstars but in long term the history says superstars do not follow a low risk lifestyle in many cases so we are deependent on fighters who are doomed to mess up lets say in 70 percent of the times.

A black man with that much athleticism and power is never a good thing. Look at the nfl, they beat women and commit many crimes. 1 or 2 good white officers will get severely injured when trying to apprehend this future criminal, mark my words.

Yikes!

• Like 3

A black man with that much athleticism and power is never a good thing. Look at the nfl, they beat women and commit many crimes. 1 or 2 good white officers will get severely injured when trying to apprehend this future criminal, mark my words.

lol

If they'll shoot Deontay (with his 5'4, 120 pound frame) for lunging towards them without a weapon... they'll shoot Ngannou before he even speaks. Nobody will get hurt.

If they'll shoot Deontay (with his 5'4, 120 pound frame) for lunging towards them without a weapon... they'll shoot Ngannou before he even speaks. Nobody will get hurt.

????

• Like 1

In short term yes we need any star we can get let alone superstars but in long term the history says superstars do not follow a low risk lifestyle in many cases so we are deependent on fighters who are doomed to mess up lets say in 70 percent of the times.

Damn, I totally forgot about Brock Lesnar.

hw division is and always will be like the old toughman competition. unless a guy with credentials and a long history of competitive combat, looks and talks like a hw sage northcutt and has an unbeatable style for a few years comes along and brings credibility back to hw then it will remain a joke.

stipe is kinda legit.

cain was a joke.

werdum was too old and held onto w over fedor like he walked on water.

mir was legit until accident.

nog was born old.

brock was a circus act.

timmy took all credibility away from hw

Randy was a freak of nature, but was small and took away hw credibility.

hw been a joke, and shall remain one.

• Like 3

A talented striker like Ngannou is always good for a division. He made HW exciting again. I was really missing a one punch knockout artist in the HW division now that JDS is out of his prime.

Think about it the division is made of wrestlers and grapplers we needed a guy like Ngannou.

Fan since his Dambe Warriors days.

Edited by xFINISHxHIMx
  • Like 3

A talented striker like Ngannou is always good for a division. He made HW exciting again. I was really missing a one punch knockout artist in the HW division now that JDS is out of his prime.

Think about it the division is made of wrestlers and grapplers we needed a guy like Ngannou.

On point.

• Like 1

It's Francis' fault if he stayed homeless.  If you're that big and strong naturally and you find yourself homeless, you go take someone else's home and make it yours.

He has to be good for MMA because he commands attention. I get the point about his rapid progression but would you have such a progression in another weight class - other than heavy or light heavy?  The power makes the difference.  People paying attention puts @sses in seats.  He is not the typical mold in how quickly he's been able to rise.  He's still a bit green and I think people will continue learning to avoid his sharpest tools...  It will be a work in progress.  He's a very marketable guy. He's young.  If he gets beaten, he has years and years to keep running to the top and will only get better..

• Like 1

It's Francis' fault if he stayed homeless.  If you're that big and strong naturally and you find yourself homeless, you go take someone else's home and make it yours.

He has to be good for MMA because he commands attention. I get the point about his rapid progression but would you have such a progression in another weight class - other than heavy or light heavy?  The power makes the difference.  People paying attention puts @sses in seats.  He is not the typical mold in how quickly he's been able to rise.  He's still a bit green and I think people will continue learning to avoid his sharpest tools...  It will be a work in progress.  He's a very marketable guy. He's young.  If he gets beaten, he has years and years to keep running to the top and will only get better..

You know , I am not sure about the longevity of freaks of natures like Ng. The closest I can get as an example is Brock. Big guys like Ng and Brock will be defined after their first KO/TKO loss and usually not before it. He might be different though,

• Like 1

I think it's a beautiful story.  Lived a hard life, been training and fighting in the streets all his life, turned his given talent into a career, and becomes UFC champion. 

• Like 2

I think it's a beautiful story. Lived a hard life, been training and fighting in the streets all his life, turned his given talent into a career, and becomes UFC champion.

Let's wait to see if he can pull off that last part of the story.

• Like 3

I think it's a beautiful story. Lived a hard life, been training and fighting in the streets all his life, turned his given talent into a career, and becomes UFC champion.

I think you made up about half this story.
  • Like 2

I think it's a beautiful story.  Lived a hard life, been training and fighting in the streets all his life, turned his given talent into a career, and becomes UFC champion. 

I like Stipe Cash got me on that train before he was champ.  I made out well on him against Werdum, Overeem and Dos Santos.  I was a long time Arlovski fan and even though I thought Andrei would lose I took an AV bet or something against Cash on that one.

The thing is I don't think either man has faced someone as talented and athletic as they each are.  Francis is just a goddamn animal but Stipe is a bad man and he moves like a light heavy.  I don't think I've ever been as pumped for a fight as I am for this one.

This promo is just sick.  A hardcore Overeem fan would burst into tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zi8Prk-eg&feature=share

• Like 2

I am excited to witness NGannou vs Stipe as anybody else, don't get me wrong. He has a decent chance because if Overeem connected to Stipe's chin NGannou also has a chance but he hits like meteorite.. 

As UFC and Media try to make him a star they emphasize on him being a homeless guy just a few years ago in Paris, no real sport background and no proper training . That is his story. He is the guy who went from homeless to fighting for belt in couple of years if you consider the time he has been training proper MMA .

We all love the Rockyish story , who doesn't ? But the same fact that a guy can turn to a UFC champ with no sport background in such a short period , believe it or not, shows that our sport is so shallow when it comes to heavyweight. 

Problem is ,  hardcore UFC fans know this only happens in HW but general public looks at it and says :

if a guy can get to  the top in couple of years then the sport is still in infancy if not kind of joke.

So will NGannou be a good thing or bad thing for MMA in future? I am not sure.

What do you think?

I think you're giving casuals too much credit. They typically have the memory span of a goldfish. Ngannou is good because it's hard to justify the same late-30s aged guys staying in the top spots of HW for so many years now. He brings new blood & is actually athletic. Casuals aren't going to spend half a minute wondering about HW's depth issues.

Hardcore guys know that there are much crazier shenanigans afoot in the UFC than a genetically-gifted African monster rising through the HW ranks despite him not being a lifelong martial artist.

• Like 1

I like Stipe Cash got me on that train before he was champ.  I made out well on him against Werdum, Overeem and Dos Santos.  I was a long time Arlovski fan and even though I thought Andrei would lose I took an AV bet or something against Cash on that one.

The thing is I don't think either man has faced someone as talented and athletic as they each are.  Francis is just a goddamn animal but Stipe is a bad man and he moves like a light heavy.  I don't think I've ever been as pumped for a fight as I am for this one.

This promo is just sick.  A hardcore Overeem fan would burst into tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zi8Prk-eg&feature=share

That's pretty good.  the shovel hook from the overhead angle was very cool.  I would love to see Francis hurt and see how he overcomes and perseveres when in deeper water...

• Like 2

Any heavyweight that's even reasonably exciting and marketable is good for the sport. These old veterans are basically fossils and can't fight forever, and who the hell is getting excited over guys like tybura and struve

• Like 4

Any heavyweight that's even reasonably exciting and marketable is good for the sport. These old veterans are basically fossils and can't fight forever, and who the hell is getting excited over guys like tybura and struve

baby.jpg?quality=100&w=650

You trying to tell me that Diaper Boy doesn't get you pumped up?!?!

• Like 2

baby.jpg?quality=100&w=650

You trying to tell me that Diaper Boy doesn't get you pumped up?!?!

Yeah... Justine Kish could have used one of those!  I think UFC was getting tired of seeing Arlovski sneaking up on CTE so fed this man-baby to him just to get him a w.

• Like 1

A heavyweight type event nowadays in the NewFC... UFC Fight Night: Tybura vs Struve, Belgrade, Serbia.....

Ofcourse it's good to have Ngannou

• Like 2

Eh.. there are examples of guys getting to the top very quickly in other sports. Look at Leicester who won the Premier League with Vardy & Kante being featured (one almost gave up on the sport, the other was playing in lower divisions in France not long before) or Hassan Whiteside in the NBA, who had to go to Lebanon to play professionally and then became a damn near all-star.

• Like 1

Fan since his Dambe Warriors days.

A talented striker? Power does not equal talent. He, like all HWs (maybe except Jr.), and the majority of other MMA fighters in fact, have a long way to go before I'll give him the "talented striker" label.

WHERES THE POLE!?@?@?@?@?@

Ummm, you mean the "poll" we vote in or the "pole" you are learning to dance around?