Sign in to follow this  
Megasoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

WAT?

Lol. I assumed there was a 2 missing at the start.

Ultra done. Too bloody warm for that malarkey. I've lost more than my own bodyweight in sweat

• Like 4

What sort of athlete do you want to be?

What would you like your body to look like?

Find out if what you're doing is going to take you where you want to go. Ask yourself if you're working hard enough.

• Like 2

Find out if what you're doing is going to take you where you want to go. Ask yourself if you're working hard enough.

This is thought provoking.

I've only been running since Easter and found that my goals have changed. I imagine they will continue to.

I started running because I wanted to be physically fit. There was no goal beyond that. I think I set the bar pretty low, thinking that if I were able to run for 30 minutes then I'd be happy.

Since then my mindset has changed a couple of times. Firstly because I found I actually enjoyed it.

I burnt fat too, that I didn't even know I had. I wasn't overweight but I certainly wasn't muscular, I never concerned myself with needing to look like anything since I was much younger. A very much unexpected result from running was that I

Lost 10lb's. It was my wife that noticed it, I weighed myself and she was right. I went to the mirror and actually looked. I noticed I had more definition across my abdomen. But still, im not a vain guy and excessive torso muscle wont help me (more like hinder me) in the sport ive chosen. Though i will admit its tempting to get sidetracked.

The word athlete isn't one I'd apply to myself, I don't think I've earned that. It would suggest that I think I'm proficient in a type of athletic sport, I'm not. If I ever reach my goal of running a marathon then I will take a quiet pride in thinking of myself as an athlete.....maybe.

I'm currently teetering between wanting to push myself hard (which can take the pleasure out of running for me), and reminding myself that I only started running to get in shape (which is far more pleasurable than I thought it would be).

I hope I'll eventually settle somewhere in the middle. Good enough to feel like I am actually an athlete but not so competative that I burn myself out.

Good question, soup.

Curious to hear the answers of others.

Edited by Denizen
  • Like 2

Very interesting starting point.

For me the second question is fairly simple.  I don't want to be fat or emaciated.  That leaves a fairly broad area in which to aim to be honest.

First one is a bit more....deep I suppose.  Fundamentally, I want to do things that other people consider to be extraordinary.  I will never do an extraordinary 5K/10K/HM.  I'll never bench press weights that mere mortals can only dream of.  But I can run/stagger for lengths of time that most people think of as being extraordinary.  Secondary to that I want to show little or no decline with age.  I'm in my 40s now, and am aiming to hit a HM PB next year.  This year is all about kind of experimenting with training, and gearing up for my big hike in August.  Next year I'll do much faster runs to see if I can get back a bit of speed.  I like the idea of my 43 year old self being a faster, fitter version of my 37 year old self.

• Like 2

Here's a thought whilst we're being philosophical.  Realised this weekend (the hard way) that training really is important.  Last year in preparation for my 100 mile run I did leg workouts 2 or 3 times a week over the winter.  Then from January to March i ran 4 times a week, averagind 100 miles a month.  From April to June i ran 6 times a week, averaging > 150 miles a month.  Ate really clean for at least 3 months.

This year, i did very little training over the winter.  Have only run 4 times a week since the start of the year, averaging around 30 miles a month less than last year.  Consequently, my 50 mile result on Saturday was actually 30 miles slower than the first 50 miles of the 100 mile race last year.  The course is virtually identical, and if anything, conditions were better this year.  Don't scrimp on training dudes!!  Running an ultra with a mate in 5 weeks and 2 weeks after that doing a really hilly marathon.  Going to give myself a week of recovery and then start racking up the miles to see if i can do a half decent effort on the marathon.

@Denizen; if it hasn't come through loud and clear, I'm somewhat of a running nut.  Feel free to pick my brains.  One quick top tip though; if you want to feel like you're pushing your boundaries without the risk of losing the enjoyment, focus on running further, not faster.  If you do that, you'll get faster as a byproduct, without feeling like you're flogging yourself the whole time.

• Like 3

Here's a thought whilst we're being philosophical.  Realised this weekend (the hard way) that training really is important.  Last year in preparation for my 100 mile run I did leg workouts 2 or 3 times a week over the winter.  Then from January to March i ran 4 times a week, averagind 100 miles a month.  From April to June i ran 6 times a week, averaging > 150 miles a month.  Ate really clean for at least 3 months.

This year, i did very little training over the winter.  Have only run 4 times a week since the start of the year, averaging around 30 miles a month less than last year.  Consequently, my 50 mile result on Saturday was actually 30 miles slower than the first 50 miles of the 100 mile race last year.  The course is virtually identical, and if anything, conditions were better this year.  Don't scrimp on training dudes!!  Running an ultra with a mate in 5 weeks and 2 weeks after that doing a really hilly marathon.  Going to give myself a week of recovery and then start racking up the miles to see if i can do a half decent effort on the marathon.

@Denizen; if it hasn't come through loud and clear, I'm somewhat of a running nut.  Feel free to pick my brains.  One quick top tip though; if you want to feel like you're pushing your boundaries without the risk of losing the enjoyment, focus on running further, not faster.  If you do that, you'll get faster as a byproduct, without feeling like you're flogging yourself the whole time.

Yeah that's good advice and I will heed it. There's a lot of pleasure to be had in steady 10k lope with the sun on your face and good music playing the headphones.

Not so much fun in gasping for breath with sweat streaming into your eyes and having to pull off the headphones because you need all your concentration to just keep landing one foot in front of the other.

Also, I get more satisfaction from completing a long run which I struggled the last few K of, than I do from a hard 5k run that I struggled for the entirety of.

I got myself one of those wrist rollers today. If you roll it one way, it works the flexors and if you roll it the other day it work the extensors. Now that's important because I have found it difficult to work my extensor muscles with the equipment I have, outside my expand-your-hand bands, the don't really pump my forearms up. But this wrist roller totally does.

I took my workout outside today, even though I live downtown. I took my 60 pound dumbbells, one in each hand, too. It was is near a quarter mile to get to where I was working out, that was one hell of a farmers walk!

I warmed up with a little hackey sack, that was great! I mostly just did decline push-ups and dumbbell military presses, and there was a perfect flat bench for me to do dumbbell flyes. Yes, this was in public so that sucked a little, but at least I was doing stuff that most people couldn't do.

And when I couldn't do anymore, that's when I went to the wrist roller. I twisted and twisted on that thing until my forearms were so full of blood, they felt like dense iron sheeted with human skin.

But then I had to carry the dumbbells back inside…

That was a mother****er of a workout.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup

On these questions. 

1st one. Just well rounded and functionally healthy enough where i can do any task i may need to do without much effort or difficulty. 

2nd one. I don't wanna be skinny nor chubby nor massive. Somewhere in between and i'm comfortable enough with my body now that if i can just keep what i have and maintain i'm fine with that. 

alright im goin for a ride today. bringing a 15 pack and a double can with me so i can put whatever calories i burn off right back into my belly

all geared up and ready but i seemed to have misplaced my sunscreen. looked everywhere but its not where its supposed to be.  i found an old bottle that expired in 2011. i dunno if its still good but its gonna have to make do

if i dont crack at least 50 kilometers this time im gonna be disappointed in my performance again. need to get these legs in gear for the summer when i get dumped off with my heavy **** bike 120ish kilometers out of town and have no choice but to pedal the whole way home with 20 beers and a whole bunch of heavy chit strapped onto my back

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

Experiencing some stiffness and pain in my joints. Both my ankles and my left knee.

Protein shakes are great, I mean they're like snake oil. I found that I can run twice the weekly distance that I could before I started using them, such is their benefit to my muscle recovery.

The only problem is that my joints don't recover or strengthen as quickly. I'll need to rest from running for at least a few days or maybe even a week I think. I really don't want an injury that will put me out for an extended time.

I'll double up on my swimming efforts for the sake of not slipping backwards on my cardio.

@Bubba I'm very interested in hearing about anything practical you've found that helps with caring for your joints. I've read about increasing cadence and running on softer surfaces or with more cushioning but I'm almost sure there must be more I can do. It feels like I'm missing something.

Perhaps I just need to be more patient.

• Like 3

Cadence. That will lead to landing closer to your center of gravity and reduce braking forces that affect mostly your knees.

Other than that patience, the bones, joints and so on, strengthen slower than your cardiovascular and muscular system, do not increase mileage too quickly, 10% is the rule of thumb in total weekly mileage, and every 3 or 4 weeks reduce the load to allow for adaptation.

• Like 3

Experiencing some stiffness and pain in my joints. Both my ankles and my left knee.

Protein shakes are great, I mean they're like snake oil. I found that I can run twice the weekly distance that I could before I started using them, such is their benefit to my muscle recovery.

The only problem is that my joints don't recover or strengthen as quickly. I'll need to rest from running for at least a few days or maybe even a week I think. I really don't want an injury that will put me out for an extended time.

I'll double up on my swimming efforts for the sake of not slipping backwards on my cardio.

@Bubba I'm very interested in hearing about anything practical you've found that helps with caring for your joints. I've read about increasing cadence and running on softer surfaces or with more cushioning but I'm almost sure there must be more I can do. It feels like I'm missing something.

I think there's a short answer and a long answer to this.

Short answer - basically as you suggest, and like Amunera says.  You can make your running style a bit less impactful, plus increase your mileage more gradually (10% per week is a good rule, as is 1 mile per week).  Simple things to make your running style less impactful are to shorten your stride, push your hips forwards and shoulders back.  That makes you more upright, and your feet land beneath you, instead of in front of you.

Longer answer - depends where you want to go with it.  I re-learned to run "barefoot".  That kind of means doing the above but to a more exaggerated level, doing drills, going right back to basics.  The science is sound; most people are "heel-strikers", so they land on their cushioned heel.  The force of impact therefore travels straight up their leg, is partially absorbed by the knee before travelling the rest of the way up your leg and being absorbed by your hip.  If you can learn to land kind of midfoot, then your foot absorbs the force of impact, as it's designed to be (we've been running around for a lot longer than cushioned trainers have been around!).  Everyone I know who has fully committed to this style of running has ended up being able to do much longer distances injury free.  Only drawback is to do it properly you have to cut back so much it can be quite frustrating.  I was running 10-15 miles a time; once i changed my style, i could do about 30 seconds at first before my calf and achilles were in bits.  After 4 months though i was back to 10 miles, and have never looked back.  I definitely seem to be in a lot better state when i finish ultras.  Usually pass a ton of people in the last 10 or so miles who are limping, cramping etc, whilst i just trundle merrily by.

TBH, unless you're planning on becoming an UM-er, I'd try the first approach first.  Increase mileage slowly and try and focus on landing with your foot underneath you, rather than in front of you.  Hopefully you can be one of the 20% of heel-strikers who don't get injured!!

Oh, one final thing....some will say go and get some gait analysis and get some expensive orthotics or somehing.  To me that's like seeing someone banging their head against a wall and giving them a crash helmet instead of just telling them not to bang their head...

• Like 2

@Bubba and Amunera

I appreciate that you've taken time to offer me advice.

I'm very early into what I think (And hope) will be something I do for the rest if my life.

I can spare a few months to learn proper form.

I heard an expression recently "delayed gratification." This seems like a good area to test it out.

Cheers for the tips.

• Like 2

@Bubba and Amunera

I appreciate that you've taken time to offer me advice.

I'm very early into what I think (And hope) will be something I do for the rest if my life.

I can spare a few months to learn proper form.

I heard an expression recently "delayed gratification." This seems like a good area to test it out.

Cheers for the tips.

Are you running on cement? 

• Like 1

I'm getting a little older and I'm almost 240 pounds. Running gives me the same problem. So here's what I do.

I mostly just do hill sprints. Not a whole lotta heel striking when you're going berserk up a hill. I think where a lot of people go wrong with hill sprints is they don't actually sprint. It's very uncomfortable. You have to push yourself to the point where at the top of the hill, you feel like you're about to have a heart attack.

When I run for distance, which is not very often (and I don't really ever do more than three or 4 miles,) I run on grass. I won't run even a couple blocks on asphalt or concrete, forget about it.

• Like 1

I'm getting a little older and I'm almost 240 pounds. Running gives me the same problem. So here's what I do.

I mostly just do hill sprints. Not a whole lotta heel striking when you're going berserk up a hill. I think where a lot of people go wrong with hill sprints is they don't actually sprint. It's very uncomfortable. You have to push yourself to the point where at the top of the hill, you feel like you're about to have a heart attack.

When I run for distance, which is not very often (and I don't really ever do more than three or 4 miles,) I run on grass. I won't run even a couple blocks on asphalt or concrete, forget about it.

Actually running hills is a great point; it also helps with form.

I introduced one of my running clubs to a challenge near me called the Crooksbury 6- bagger. It's basically running up my local hill 6 times. Each one is only about 300 feet of climb but it all adds up. Only one person managed all 6 without stopping ????

Speaking of hills...i entered a marathon in July. Only really doing it to support the missus and a mate of hers. Winning time last year was over 4 hours... average was almost 7. Turns out there is almost 5000 feet of elevation. That's pretty full on.

• Like 1

did just over 50km yesterday  and my legs arent quite as sore today as i thought they would be.

i really need a much lighter bike with lots of gears and stuff. once again im getting old people just zooming past me on their tiny little bikes, once even one of those ironman bikes with skinny little road tires and that old guy was just flying on it and meanwhile im sitting here sweating my angus off struggling just to pedal up the slope on the easiest gear that i have at what feels like a snails pace.  this is most definately not the ideal bike for this style of riding when the first 25 and a half kilometers are all up a sandy uphill grade.

coming back was fun and fast i guess but i was drunk by then and barely remember it.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

What Bubba said is true Denizen but what he probably won't tell you is genetics play a huge role no matter how skilled you become or how strong your will is. 

So you might not be that guy that's running well into his 80's. Few are no matter how good your technique and strong your mind is. Knowing thyself and your limitations is key. 

That shouldn't stop you from striving but do listen to your body. It gives feedback for a reason just don't let it define you. 

• Like 1

What Bubba said is true Denizen but what he probably won't tell you is genetics play a huge role no matter how skilled you become or how strong your will is.

So you might not be that guy that's running well into his 80's. Few are no matter how good your technique and strong your mind is. Knowing thyself and your limitations is key.

That shouldn't stop you from striving but do listen to your body. It gives feedback for a reason just don't let it define you.

Hmm...i think we're all bio-mechanically built to run. We're nomadic hunter - gatherers genetically speaking.

It's nurture - namely sitting down most of the day, not nature that makes us all creaky.

Totally agree that you have to listen to your body but I don't agree that people's genetics limit how long they can run for.

Look at any animal pretty much. They don't get injured doing what they're built to do. You don't see a lion limping because it's been hunting too many days on the trot. It's only because our modern lives are so alien that we've all got dodgy backs and sore knees. Head out to one of the few remaining nomadic tribes and they don't have any of these issues.

Sorry... went a bit evangelical there ????

• Like 2

Hmm...i think we're all bio-mechanically built to run. We're nomadic hunter - gatherers genetically speaking.

It's nurture - namely sitting down most of the day, not nature that makes us all creaky.

Totally agree that you have to listen to your body but I don't agree that people's genetics limit how long they can run for.

Look at any animal pretty much. They don't get injured doing what they're built to do. You don't see a lion limping because it's been hunting too many days on the trot. It's only because our modern lives are so alien that we've all got dodgy backs and sore knees. Head out to one of the few remaining nomadic tribes and they don't have any of these issues.

Sorry... went a bit evangelical there

I agree with you on being wired to run especially from an evolutionary & survival stand point. 

Also agree activity is LIFE be it of the mind, body or spirit i.e. your passion & will. If the latter dies then so does everything else. Your passion and will are of paramount importance to everything else since it sparks the seed of purpose & feeling accomplished or failing but not giving up. . 

I don't necessarily disagree with you i'm just saying we are not all built the same. Some of those Lion's as you put it just have better genetics regardless of what they're built to do. 

• Like 1

I'm getting back into the swing of things. I'm down 4 lbs after packing on 30 over the winter! Luckily I hide it well. Walking, a little yoga, and a little body weight exercises. 

It's time to be strict again... I got my bloodwork back from the doc and I'm a bit anemic apparently. This explains why I'm tired all the f'ing time. 

• Like 2

Are you running on cement?

Yup. Mostly on cement during long runs. I actually hate running on grass but I suppose I should try and get used to it.

• Like 1

I joined a running group a few weeks ago....but I didn't actually go running with them yet.

It's just a group on Facebook that started up with a woman posting to see if any of her freinds wanted to go for a run with her. It now has almost a thousand members.

They organise a lot of charity events and regularly start C25k (couch to 5 kilometres) groups, which is simply getting people to a point where they can run 5 kilometres from being couch potatoes in the space of 9 weeks without injury.

The group has a lot of plus size women. Good for them I say though, actively doing something to improve their quality of life.

The group also has more serious runners that certainly qualify as seasoned runners and athletes. They pace and encourage each other and are always looking for fresh routes as well as trying for PB's on tried and tested routes both on and off road.

I really should make an effort to get out with the group, it's just work commitments that make it difficult. I work nights.

Anyway, I invested in a better pair of running shoes today as well as a hydration belt. I intend to try another 16k run in a couple of hours. I've only done it once, last week. I'm well rested and currently feel fresh and healthy. No joint or muscle pain. It should be a good run.

Edited by Denizen
  • Like 2

Nice run tonight and decent improvements.

Did the same 10 mile route as last week but 6m 24s quicker.

The best part for me was that the first 10k of the run was a new 10k PB, now 54m 34s. An improvement of 1m 22s.

I didn't set out intending get any kind of PB, I guess I'm just gradually picking up the speed naturally. However, I do need to learn to pace myself better, the last 4 or 5k were sloooow and the final 2k so painful that I almost quit.

A satisfying run, though I'll take a couple of days to recover I think.

Happy with the gains.

• Like 2

Nice run tonight and decent improvements.

Did the same 10 mile route as last week but 6m 24s quicker.

The best part for me was that the first 10k of the run was a new 10k PB, now 54m 34s. An improvement of 1m 22s.

I didn't set out intending get any kind of PB, I guess I'm just gradually picking up the speed naturally. However, I do need to learn to pace myself better, the last 4 or 5k were sloooow and the final 2k so painful that I almost quit.

A satisfying run, though I'll take a couple of days to recover I think.

Happy with the gains.

Very good work. Are you planning to enter a race, or for now just running for the fun?

@Amunera; when is your HM?

• Like 1

Very good work. Are you planning to enter a race, or for now just running for the fun?

Thanks.

I keep toying with the idea of entering an organised 10k race. Just for the experience of it and ticking a box , I'm sure it's great fun. There's plenty around at the moment so I have lots to choose from if I do decide to enter one. I'm not in a hurry though.

It'd be nice to start building up a little medal collection too I suppose.

How about you? Any dates marked up on the calender?

• Like 2

tomorrow, still unsure what I want to aim for...will probably go conservative for the first 12k and then see how I feel. Heel did not feel too great today in my shakeout run and I just spent 5 hours on a car going to vote for the colombian elections... :D

• Like 1

Thanks.

I keep toying with the idea of entering an organised 10k race. Just for the experience of it and ticking a box , I'm sure it's great fun. There's plenty around at the moment so I have lots to choose from if I do decide to enter one. I'm not in a hurry though.

It'd be nice to start building up a little medal collection too I suppose.

How about you? Any dates marked up on the calender?

With the distance you're doing, a HM would be in reach. They have a better atmosphere bravery than 10k as well.

I've got a 54 mile ultra in 4 weeks where I'm pacing a couple of mates followed by a trail marathon 2 weeks after that. Hoping to place quite well in the marathon as it's incredibly hilly and hills are my thing.

I'm going to give this keto diet thing a whirl in a couple of weeks.

Sounds fun. Couple of people I know who went on this got good results. Keep us posted!

tomorrow, still unsure what I want to aim for...will probably go conservative for the first 12k and then see how I feel. Heel did not feel too great today in my shakeout run and I just spent 5 hours on a car going to vote for the colombian elections... :D

Good luck mate! If you're not feeling it, is take the first 7 miles at a fairly relaxed pace and then see how you feel. I'd you're feeling good, start trying to gradually reel people in and then smash it in the last mile. I got my best ever HM time when I was feeling fairly meh about it all.

• Like 2

I'm going to give this keto diet thing a whirl in a couple of weeks. 

I've made a couple post about it and been watching a lot of videos on it. Haven't tried it fully for more than a week yet but i'm going to go balls deep after my birthday in June. I'm a huge advocate though and the science behind it makes a ton of sense. 

You have to be strict and stick with it long term to get any real good results because your body won't switch to being a primary fat burner for fuel and it does take a while for your bodies glycogen stores to fully deplete & adapt to being a fat burner for fuel instead of primarily a glycogen store burner. 

Intermittent fasting along with heat shock/cold shock will really help with results. On fasting there have been studies on starvation and people that ate little amounts of carbs on 1500 ish calorie restricted diet & they all lost muscle and kept a little fat & had low energy where as people that ate keto on the same caloric restriction felt fuller, retained some of their muscle while losing nearly all their fat having better cognitive function & more energy. 12-16 hr window is best & a 3 day fast once every few months will totally reboot your whole system if you can handle that. Heat shock/cold shock there's a whole ton of data it helps you retain muscle better and is wonderful against inflammation and getting your blood to circulate better through out your whole body which has health/anti- aging benefits across the board. 

Main reason for me getting into all this is not just wanting to look my best but feel my best. I have a ravenous sweet tooth at times so i need to train myself to stay away from ALL the crappy carbs especially as i get age, the fat doesn't come off as easy, energy levels & hormones vary more, my body isn't as good at fighting off free radicals or dealing with inflammation which puts me more at risk for cancer and my fam has a history of diabetes so even though i'm not fat and in pretty good health it's still something i need to watch out for. If i can drop my ciggy habit too i'll be kicking some srs a$$ by summer's end. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

I'm working my **** off every goddamn day. Meanwhile, all my haters are playing Nintendo and jerking off.

Finished HM at 1:45:07

I said I wanted to run a 1:50

Was running with a friend and he kind of pushed the pace at the beginning, we were doing close to 5 min/k and we kept it until 14 km, them I felt I had the legs to keep the pace and my friend did not so we parted ways.

My gps watch was giving me wrong splits due to some gpa issues so I stopped paying too much attention to it. From 14km to 16km it was smooth sailing, then from 16 to 19 it was a struggle to keep that pace (under 5 mins/k barely). At 19 the elite marathoners started to catch up (they departed 30 mins before and ran a slightly different route but we merged for the last 5k or so). That gave me a boost, the leader caught me at 19, second at 20 and third at 20.5, I kept that one in view up until the finish line, I finished very strong, passed a bunch of people and only got passed by the elite marathoners :P

I did not realize i was that close to 1:45, I would have probably high fived less kids had I known and pushed harder hahaha

The day was hotter than I am used to and the course hillier than I expected. Overall EXTREMELY satisfied with my effort especially so close to my 10k and with the abdominal discomfort I endured this last week of training and the first 12k of this half marathon.

I will now rest for june focusing on gaining strength amd movility in my ankle, and july strength overall. Next stop full marathon by the end of the year. Will decide soon what I want to aim for, initially it was 3:59:59 now I think I could run a 3:45 at least, pace felt not too hard today, although heart rate was through the roof today but considering the heat and hills it was to be expected.

Thanks bubba for the support as usual as well as the rest of you guys!

Keep at it :)

• Like 3

It's 4:20 right now and a nice day. Pigged out on BBQ earlier but now i think i'm go for for a "Nick Diaz" jog to combat that.  :P

Before i go i wanna suggest we rename this thread to "Bubba official 2018 fitness and training goals". 

The old man doesn't even work out anymore as far as i can tell. No offense CB but you gotta contribute if you want the honor.  :P

• Like 1

Before i go i wanna suggest we rename this thread to "Bubba official 2018 fitness and training goals". 

The old man doesn't even work out anymore as far as i can tell. No offense CB but you gotta contribute if you want the honor.  :P

Our grandfathers aren't shooting Nazis anymore, but we still gotta' show them respect.

• Like 2

Sorry... went a bit evangelical there

I'm not looking to make any enemies, but...

I disagree with nearly all of this.  I don't believe it's fact-based.

I'm not sure we were biomechanically built to run.  There is not a single predator we can outrun and I don't know if there is a whole lot of prey we can catch on foot, either.  Our minds have always been the key.  We used cunning and ambuscade for our meat, teamwork and weapons.  Or we just fished.

Nomadic tribes have the same health problems as the rest of us.  Their life expectancy isn't nearly as long.  Certainly, active lifestyles lend to their heartiness, that I can agree on.  But those guys are not doing half-marathons, either.

Nor are animals.  They might go on an all-out sprint, but there is no animal that's running more than a mile or two, and usually not even close to that.  They walk around all day and go for an all out spring when they freak out.  And animals have limps all the time.  You never seen an animal with a limp?  I have never had a dog or a cat that didn't have a limp at some point.  Cats, dogs, deer, lions, bears...they all get hurt.

Anyway, back to the running.  I admire the heart, the grit, the determination you must have to take on these distances.  They way I exercise isn't "better" than the way you exercise.  But do not fool yourselves.  While there is certainly a link to moderate exercise and longevity, there is no evidence that hardcore runners live longer or healthier lives than regular, 'ole healthy people.  Hardcore runners are plagued with injury.  It is not a foregone conclusion that running marathons is natural or that our bodies were designed to do it.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup
  • Like 1

I'm not looking to make any enemies, but...

I disagree with nearly all of this.  I don't believe it's fact-based.

I'm not sure we were biomechanically built to run.  There is not a single predator we can outrun and I don't know if there is a whole lot of prey we can catch on foot, either.  Our minds have always been the key.  We used cunning and ambuscade for our meat, teamwork and weapons.  Or we just fished.

Nomadic tribes have the same health problems as the rest of us.  Their life expectancy isn't nearly as long.  Certainly, active lifestyles lend to their heartiness, that I can agree on.  But those guys are not doing half-marathons, either.

Nor are animals.  They might go on an all-out sprint, but there is no animal that's running more than a mile or two, and usually not even close to that.  They walk around all day and go for an all out spring when they freak out.  And animals have limps all the time.  You never seen an animal with a limp?  I have never had a dog or a cat that didn't have a limp at some point.  Cats, dogs, deer, lions, bears...they all get hurt.

Anyway, back to the running.  I admire the heart, the grit, the determination you must have to take on these distances.  They way I exercise isn't "better" than the way you exercise.  But do not fool yourselves.  While there is certainly a link to moderate exercise and longevity, there is no evidence that hardcore runners live longer or healthier lives than regular, 'ole healthy people.  Hardcore runners are plagued with injury.  It is not a foregone conclusion that running marathons is natural or that our bodies were designed to do it.

Well....firstly, I'm not in that small, but sadly vocal minority on here who will consider it a personal affront if you express a different view, so no enemies will be made here.  It's a very interesting topic to discuss, so let's have at it.

One thing at a time....you make a great point.  We're pretty slow compared to the animal kingdom.  A cat can out-sprint us.  We are bio-mechanically rubbish at sprinting. We are very good at running all day, however.  There is a lot of evidence that we persistent hunted extensively in our early days (i.e just followed stuff until it got knackered and died).  There are tribes that still hunt like this today.  A chap called Professor Daniel Lieberman (a Professor in Human Biomechanics) has done a lot of research into this.  We are built extremely well for trundling long distances without getting tired, or injured.  So I would say that actually it is fact-based.

As to injuries....of course animals get injured, but they get injured from fighting usually, or landing wrongly when they've jumped off something.  Most animals cover large distances every day to feed, avoid predators etc.  Even hippos do 20 miles a day.  And there are very few instances of animals getting injured simply by travelling long distances; that's my point.  When you see these documentaries and there's some wildebeest limping at the back, the narrator generally says they've been attacked; not that they've got a swollen knee from over-pronating....

As to health; I think you've misunderstood my point.  I'm merely saying that the reason we get bad backs, dodgy knees etc is not because we run.  It's because we sit down all day hunched over a computer, we don't move much, and when we do run, we run with incorrect form.  I think i was very specific about nomads; I didn't say they don't get ill, i said they don't get bad backs or sore knees.  Again, this is established fact - incidences of such issues are much more prevalent in sedentary cultures.

I don't think i said anywhere that I think running is a healthier form of exercise than anything else; i don't actually believe that so I won't defend it.  I do think that exercises that involve moving your body with muscles working together are better for you than static, isolated exercises, but that obviously covers a much broader spectrum than just running.

I highly recommend you read the book "Born to Run".  It's a great read; it weaves biomechanical research on running with a compelling tale of an Ultra-Marathon run in the Copper Canyons. 

Finished HM at 1:45:07

I said I wanted to run a 1:50

Was running with a friend and he kind of pushed the pace at the beginning, we were doing close to 5 min/k and we kept it until 14 km, them I felt I had the legs to keep the pace and my friend did not so we parted ways.

My gps watch was giving me wrong splits due to some gpa issues so I stopped paying too much attention to it. From 14km to 16km it was smooth sailing, then from 16 to 19 it was a struggle to keep that pace (under 5 mins/k barely). At 19 the elite marathoners started to catch up (they departed 30 mins before and ran a slightly different route but we merged for the last 5k or so). That gave me a boost, the leader caught me at 19, second at 20 and third at 20.5, I kept that one in view up until the finish line, I finished very strong, passed a bunch of people and only got passed by the elite marathoners :P

I did not realize i was that close to 1:45, I would have probably high fived less kids had I known and pushed harder hahaha

The day was hotter than I am used to and the course hillier than I expected. Overall EXTREMELY satisfied with my effort especially so close to my 10k and with the abdominal discomfort I endured this last week of training and the first 12k of this half marathon.

I will now rest for june focusing on gaining strength amd movility in my ankle, and july strength overall. Next stop full marathon by the end of the year. Will decide soon what I want to aim for, initially it was 3:59:59 now I think I could run a 3:45 at least, pace felt not too hard today, although heart rate was through the roof today but considering the heat and hills it was to be expected.

Thanks bubba for the support as usual as well as the rest of you guys!

Keep at it :)

That's a great time mate.  Really impressive, especially on a hilly route on a hot day (I was too warm just sitting outside today).

Keep up the good work!

Just got back from my run. I've come to the conclusion Nick Diaz is on PED's. It's like cheating. I knew that already but boy did it remind me today. 

Our grandfathers aren't shooting Nazis anymore, but we still gotta' show them respect.

Fair enough but neither of my grandfather's fought in the war and I never knew them so that doesn't really relate with me. I've kinda never had any father figures in my life it was always strong women. 

For whatever reason this post kinda struck me some kinda way and I'm gonna tell you a little story now and maybe you and some others might understand me a little better. 

My dad's dad died when he was 4. A crane fell on him and killed him. My dad was raised by his mom and his Uncle Pee Wee was his father figure. My dad was an awesome man but i didn't get to spend as much time with him as i would have liked to because he worked all the time offshore. I can't really hold that against him and yet somehow i do a little if i'm being honest & i miss him dearly every single day. That said the time i did get to spend with him i knew enough to know he was the most outstanding man I've ever known. My brother that lives in NYC is a damn close second. 

My mother's dad died before i was born and he was a physically abusive POS so yeah fk him. My mother is the only one in his family that even showed up to his funeral to pay respects and show forgiveness even though he didn't deserve it that's just the kinda person she is. Both my grandmother's were both GOATs. Old fashioned but wonderfully strong women. 

There's a reason i get along with women more than men. More women remind me of the strong women i was raised by and most men don't remind me of my father. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Well....firstly, I'm not in that small, but sadly vocal minority on here who will consider it a personal affront if you express a different view, so no enemies will be made here. It's a very interesting topic to discuss, so let's have at it.

One thing at a time....you make a great point. We're pretty slow compared to the animal kingdom. A cat can out-sprint us. We are bio-mechanically rubbish at sprinting. We are very good at running all day, however. There is a lot of evidence that we persistent hunted extensively in our early days (i.e just followed stuff until it got knackered and died). There are tribes that still hunt like this today. A chap called Professor Daniel Lieberman (a Professor in Human Biomechanics) has done a lot of research into this. We are built extremely well for trundling long distances without getting tired, or injured. So I would say that actually it is fact-based.

As to injuries....of course animals get injured, but they get injured from fighting usually, or landing wrongly when they've jumped off something. Most animals cover large distances every day to feed, avoid predators etc. Even hippos do 20 miles a day. And there are very few instances of animals getting injured simply by travelling long distances; that's my point. When you see these documentaries and there's some wildebeest limping at the back, the narrator generally says they've been attacked; not that they've got a swollen knee from over-pronating....

As to health; I think you've misunderstood my point. I'm merely saying that the reason we get bad backs, dodgy knees etc is not because we run. It's because we sit down all day hunched over a computer, we don't move much, and when we do run, we run with incorrect form. I think i was very specific about nomads; I didn't say they don't get ill, i said they don't get bad backs or sore knees. Again, this is established fact - incidences of such issues are much more prevalent in sedentary cultures.

I don't think i said anywhere that I think running is a healthier form of exercise than anything else; i don't actually believe that so I won't defend it. I do think that exercises that involve moving your body with muscles working together are better for you than static, isolated exercises, but that obviously covers a much broader spectrum than just running.

I highly recommend you read the book "Born to Run". It's a great read; it weaves biomechanical research on running with a compelling tale of an Ultra-Marathon run in the Copper Canyons.

Well, I'm going to have to agree with all of these points. As much as you talk about running, I thought you were promoting it. I wanted to offer the other side. I'm bored.

I am well aware that we humans usually have much, much better endurance then animals, but I didn't mention that because it would have a weakened my argument. I believe our ancestors used this as an advantage in hunts, as well.

I'm aware of this because when I was growing up I used to go deer hunting all the time. Remember tracking deer, they could out run me in a sprint, but if I kept after him I would wear his **** out. Those sprints would cover less and less distance with you each time I caught up with him, because he was tired.

I never shot a deer, though. I carried my rifle, I would put them in my sights, but I wasn't interested in killing a deer. It wasn't a moral stance, I just didn't really want to do it. I don't like deer meat, I don't want to butcher an animal in the middle of the woods and be a week away from my next shower, I don't really want to kill a majestic beast.

Unfortunately, the deer I would be chasing would usually get killed by someone else in our camp, some old drunk friend of my dads who was sitting his lazy **** in a tree stand.

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to have to agree with all of these points. As much as you talk about running, I thought you were promoting it. I wanted to offer the other side. I'm bored.

I am well aware that we humans usually have much, much better endurance then animals, but I didn't mention that because it would have a weakened my argument. I believe our ancestors used this as an advantage in hunts, as well.

I'm aware of this because when I was growing up I used to go deer hunting all the time. Remember tracking deer, they could out run me in a sprint, but if I kept after him I would wear his **** out. Those sprints would cover less and less distance with you each time I caught up with him, because he was tired.

I never shot a deer, though. I carried my rifle, I would put them in my sights, but I wasn't interested in killing a deer. It wasn't a moral stance, I just didn't really want to do it. I don't like deer meat, I don't want to butcher an animal in the middle of the woods and be a week away from my next shower, I don't really want to kill a majestic beast.

Unfortunately, the deer I would be chasing would usually get killed by someone else in our camp, some old drunk friend of my dads who was sitting his lazy **** in a tree stand.

Lol, that was a quick and amicable conclusion.

I've concluded this year that concentrating too much on running is not healthy.  By most measures, I was in the worst shape of my life 2 months after I finished my ultra last year.  I've run less this year and spent more time in the gym and am definitely healthier all round.  So you do right to reign in any overly zealous committment to one particular exercise.  

I'm glad no deer were harmed in the making of this anecdote either.  That said; I have no issue at all with people hunting deer for food.  Not so keen if it's so they can stick a rack of antlers on their wall.

Lol, that was a quick and amicable conclusion.

I've concluded this year that concentrating too much on running is not healthy. By most measures, I was in the worst shape of my life 2 months after I finished my ultra last year. I've run less this year and spent more time in the gym and am definitely healthier all round. So you do right to reign in any overly zealous committment to one particular exercise.

I'm glad no deer were harmed in the making of this anecdote either. That said; I have no issue at all with people hunting deer for food. Not so keen if it's so they can stick a rack of antlers on their wall.

I don't care if people kill deer for meat. I don't care if they kill deer for sport. A lot of areas where there are deer, there is a problem with overpopulation. So it's hard for me to have a moral objection when I look at facts, especially since I eat meat. I'm just squeamish.

I just don't want to do it. I don't want to kill a deer. I don't like killing innocent little animals. I'll eat them, though.

There's a lot of things in this world that are necessary, but I won't do them. I'm not going to clean out a sewer in Bangladesh. I won't work in a slaughterhouse. I'm not going to build concrete foundations ever again.

• Like 1

Started cycling to work. It's only 12 miles a day but is nice to get a bit of exercise early in the morning.

Finally got mysf back in the gym so I should start packing on some size again. I'm a measly 72kg at the minute and my ideal is 80kg. Travelling kills gains folks.

Another walk/run bites the dust. Don't know my exact distances but i put in a good 50 min today and a hr & a half yesterday. 

Diddin even know today is memorial day till i saw a gathering downtown.