Sign in to follow this  
Megasoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

"stronger" means literally nothing in bjj. no surprise that's your mentality though :D

You don't think that good physical strength has a place in BJJ? Are you bull****ting me?

You don't think that good physical strength has a place in BJJ? Are you bull**** me?

it's not nearly as important as you value it, no. I've trained coming up on three years now and am on the back end of my blue, please don't make this one of those things you think you know more about than people that actually do. Your meathead "Im the strongest!" mentality would get choked out by some uber flexible 16 year old white belt at a non make believe gym. PS - I'm probably in the top 5-10 strongest guys in the 150+ guys I roll with, technique and dexterity wins every single time.

Edited by Ozpride

it's not nearly as important as you value it, no. I've trained coming up on three years now and am on the back end of my blue, please don't make this one of those things you think you know more about than people that actually do. Your meathead "Im the strongest!" mentality would get choked out by some uber flexible 16 year old white belt at a non make believe gym. PS - I'm probably in the top 5-10 strongest guys in the 150+ guys I roll with, technique and dexterity wins every single time.

I acquiesce that you may know more about you jiujitsu than me, as you have been training for three years. I have to say, this last month has been rather revealing about how little actual instruction I received in the past. I used to train at a couple different mix martial arts gyms, but I realized that I never actually had any instruction. It was really just open mat.

That being said, I have rolled with a few guys at this gym, white belts, blue belts and purple belts. No one is dominating me. The best have given me even matchups. I have really good instincts, I learned a few things from way back when, and I am physically strong. It's unlikely you would even be competitive with me, but we will never know.

By the way, I've seen photos of you. There's no way you are one of the top 5 to 10 strongest guys in a gym that large, of a sports so physical. I know wrestling isn't a big sport in Australia, but it is not a nation of weak people. I'm sure you're kind of strong, but you are not a top 1% kind of strong.

3 days until my marathon....gonna be a 80 degrees+, i've got nearly 5,000 feet of elevation gain to do...and now i need to finish it within 5 hours to go and watch England v Sweden in the World Cup!

Feeling a bit of pressure over this one.  Winner last year did it in over 4 hours so I'm thinking it's a bit of a beast.

• Like 2

3 days until my marathon....gonna be a 80 degrees+, i've got nearly 5,000 feet of elevation gain to do...and now i need to finish it within 5 hours to go and watch England v Sweden in the World Cup!

Feeling a bit of pressure over this one. Winner last year did it in over 4 hours so I'm thinking it's a bit of a beast.

This forum loves you for converting everything from metric for us. No one asks you, you do it because you're an amazing person. ????

*And because you probably think we're dumb. ????

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of my workout, just knocked out 5 sets of 9 pull-ups, slow, strict form with the fullest range of motion.

I'm going to knock this post out in between sets.

I'm finishing up with super sets of wrist roll ups and high rep dumbbell deadlifts. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some Olympic weights and doing some heavy lifting, but I don't have that option right now. I know that stuff gets you stronger, but honestly I think a pair of 60 pound dumbbells at 40 or so reps per set is probably a lot closer to any real world application, anyway. If I ever get off my lazy **** and finally make it to a construction job site, I'll be thankful for the workouts I'm doing.

Between riding a bicycle to my parking spot and back, sprinting hills two or three nights a week and jujitsu three nights a week, I guess I don't really need to worry about what's ideal, as I am doing enough already.

Oh, and I'm still off the sauce.

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of my workout, just knocked out 5 sets of 9 pull-ups, slow, strict form with the fullest range of motion.

I'm going to knock this post out in between sets.

I'm finishing up with super sets of wrist roll ups and high rep dumbbell deadlifts. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some Olympic weights and doing some heavy lifting, but I don't have that option right now. I know that stuff gets you stronger, but honestly I think a pair of 60 pound dumbbells at 40 or so reps per set is probably a lot closer to any real world application, anyway. If I ever get off my lazy **** and finally make it to a construction job site, I'll be thankful for the workouts I'm doing.

Between riding a bicycle to my parking spot and back, sprinting hills two or three nights a week and jujitsu three nights a week, I guess I don't really need to worry about what's ideal, as I am doing enough already.

Oh, and I'm still off the sauce.

hmmm broke and 3 bjj classes a week... rolling around with bums fighting over discarded pizza boxes doesn't count as a bjj class, doofus. Even if the other dudes surname IS Gracie Edited by Ozpride

Never fails to amaze me how soup makes fairly unremarkable claims yet they're not believed. Whereas I claim that I'm 8 feet tall and I've run for 29 hours without stopping and nobody bats an eye-lid!

Let's move on. How's everyone getting I with their training? Finding motivation to go the gym is very hard; we're in the middle of a heatwave over here so the urge to sit in the sun. Guess that's why discipline is more important than motivation when it comes to training. Running is very pleasant before 9 and after 7. Trails are dry and rock hard plus gym is empty so it's not all bad!

• Like 1

Never fails to amaze me how soup makes fairly unremarkable claims yet they're not believed. Whereas I claim that I'm 8 feet tall and I've run for 29 hours without stopping and nobody bats an eye-lid!

Let's move on. How's everyone getting I with their training? Finding motivation to go the gym is very hard; we're in the middle of a heatwave over here so the urge to sit in the sun. Guess that's why discipline is more important than motivation when it comes to training. Running is very pleasant before 9 and after 7. Trails are dry and rock hard plus gym is empty so it's not all bad!

Love me a UK heatwave is it mid 20's? You'll be ok fam :(

• Like 1

Love me a UK heatwave is it mid 20's? You'll be ok fam :(

30 degrees+ mate!!!

Lol, my missus received a worried e-mail from her folks because we're doing a marathon on Saturday.  My favourite part was where they explained to a trained nurse that "The biggest risk is heat-stroke, which is where your brain overheats"

It's warm....but yeah, it's not road-melting seat-belt buring warm.

30 degrees+ mate!!!

Lol, my missus received a worried e-mail from her folks because we're doing a marathon on Saturday. My favourite part was where they explained to a trained nurse that "The biggest risk is heat-stroke, which is where your brain overheats"

It's warm....but yeah, it's not road-melting seat-belt buring warm.

THIRTY??!

Your toe shoes will melt to the pavement surely!

Went out running yesterday, pain free!!

It had been 3.5 weeks since the Hull 10k and even though I'd been cycling I was worried how much I might have dropped off. I don't know, because I'm not really used to being at any real level of fitness I suppose I kind of viewed my ability to be able to run any kind of distance as borrowed. I don't know if that makes sense but it's the only way I can explain it.

Anyway, I have dropped off quite a bit but I am still capable and feel confident I can get back to where I was in a reasonably short period of time as long as I stay disciplined as has been mentioned.

I've lost 3 minutes of pace over 5k and as far as running longer distances such as 16k and 21k I don't think I could manage it right now but am determined that I'll get there within ten to fifteen days.

Bubba, I totally agree with what you said about running before 9am or after 7pm. Theres no way I could manage even 5k in the heat we're getting. Luckily for me, early in the morning or later in the evening are the most suitable times around my working shift pattern.

Keep on keeping on guys.

• Like 1

Wowsers.  Sorry to hear things are heading in the wrong direction at the moment BEG.  Sounds like there is a good chance of some improvement in the future though.  Hang in there, and hespect for keeping that positive attitude going.

Thanks so very much. Better days ahead, there's gotta be!

• Like 1

Well damn. I really hope everything works out for you. Hopefully tech catches up and maybe there will be treatments in the near future with stem cells etc. that may work for you. Keep your head up and believe. Your body may be a little broken right now but you're a strong, wonderful person with lots of spirit. I don't believe in prayer but i'm sending e-hugs and good vibes your way.

That means a lot. Thank you Stomp!!

• Like 1

getting next wednesday off work after another long grind and ill be getting another good ride in

Edited by -idyb-

Slow, slow night at work tonight.

I brought my captains of crush grippers and my expand your hand bands to work, hoping I wouldn't get a chance to use them. But there hasn't been too many people come through here, so I used the hell out of them. Then chilled out for a moment.

The bar has been empty most of the night. It's empty right now. Anyway, I'm on my sixth set of push-ups.

Went out running yesterday, pain free!!

It had been 3.5 weeks since the Hull 10k and even though I'd been cycling I was worried how much I might have dropped off. I don't know, because I'm not really used to being at any real level of fitness I suppose I kind of viewed my ability to be able to run any kind of distance as borrowed. I don't know if that makes sense but it's the only way I can explain it.

Anyway, I have dropped off quite a bit but I am still capable and feel confident I can get back to where I was in a reasonably short period of time as long as I stay disciplined as has been mentioned.

I've lost 3 minutes of pace over 5k and as far as running longer distances such as 16k and 21k I don't think I could manage it right now but am determined that I'll get there within ten to fifteen days.

Bubba, I totally agree with what you said about running before 9am or after 7pm. Theres no way I could manage even 5k in the heat we're getting. Luckily for me, early in the morning or later in the evening are the most suitable times around my working shift pattern.

Keep on keeping on guys.

bahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

30 degrees

denison, pls

As I posted earlier, I worked out at work. And I've been off for a couple hours and I just finished a bunch of hill sprints.

No need for any sort of update, really. This is how I have been getting down since January.

• Like 1

As I posted earlier, I worked out at work. And I've been off for a couple hours and I just finished a bunch of hill sprints.

No need for any sort of update, really. This is how I have been getting down since January.

Seems like you're smashing it in 2018 mate. Good on ya! Is that down to motivation, discipline or both?

• Like 1

Seems like you're smashing it in 2018 mate. Good on ya! Is that down to motivation, discipline or both?

It's a little bit of both and its something else, as well. Maybe it's a few things.

I think the condition of my life can be summed up to a lack of motivation and discipline. So all this "training" I've been up to is training discipline.

But I am also training my body as well, but it's kind of for the same reason. I don't have an impressive education, and I don't have an impressive resume. There's really nothing I have ever done that comes to mind that I could really boast about, no achievement that anyone would ever consider remarkable.

So if ever there was an opportunity handed to me it would not be because I HAVE something impressive, it would be because I AM something impressive. Now I don't know exactly how to go about becoming someone impressive, but I am have always been and excellent conversationalist and maybe I can just look a lot better.

• Like 1

yo stomp!

so on saturday my bjj gym had a 3 hour no gi seminar with DJ fooking Jackson!! (the prick who beat my mate Craig Jones)

got pulled up for a couple of demo's bc I was the only guy my size there for him to rek. tappity tap. Amazing experience to roll with a world champ even if it was just a basic demo

That's really cool man. So jelly. No gi is my fav. I h8 the gi. 

I don't have any friends into it and the closest place to train is an hr + away so i don't get to roll anymore but i do miss it sometimes a lot. I was doing some seminars a few times a month at a Karate school in town for their instructors and some cops but we has a conflict of interest so i stopped doing that for them. The last time i rolled was almost a yr ago with my last GF. I teach all my GF's jitz lol

On the strength debate. Strength can be an advantage but it depends on the players. It can be a factor for sure but most of the time not really. Definitely not as much as people think. Even if skills are equal there are ways around strength and that shouldn't be your focus with Jitz anyway. The idea is maximum efficacy with minimum effort. 

Knowledge of leverage & technical details honed to muscle memory, knowing how to nullify/shutdown game before it gets into deep waters, knowing how to use deception & baiting a person to lend/use energy or make space are all way more important in BJJ than strength or athleticism. 

• Like 1

bahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

30 degrees

denison, pls

30 is hot for us in the UK. Temperature is relative. People in warmer climates have thinner blood and so can perform normally at what we would consider hot.

Cooler climates and you see those from warm countries shivering in a jumper while others are fine in a t-shirt.

I remember one guy trying to bait me at work as I was wearing a fleece and him a t-shirt. As I pointed out to him then, as I will to you now, being comfortable in warm or cold temperatures has nothing to do with how tough a guy is. It's more to do with circumstance and wether or not the guy has enough self confidence to admit that he's uncomfortable.

• Like 1

In the UK we have very changeable weather and so can adapt well to warm or cold. It's just that in extremes we don't do so well, because we rarely see extreme weather.

Edited by Denizen

Did a 2nd 5k yesterday and it was even tougher than my 1st run since healing up.

I was noticing some discomfort in my Achilles again and so went for a 30k ride today. Tomorrow will be a rest day.

Come on England!!!

Just got back from a run. .

Kinda been slacking on working out the last few days getting other things done instead. 

I got so pumped for this card this morning i did a few Muaythai rounds vs. matress. Lol poor guy takes a good beating. 

My technique is getting pretty sharp again. It's all coming back to me now. Little details i kinda lost the memory of and muscle memory are starting to get fine tuned again. I can "feel" the distance, riddum, feints, timing, and small fine motor skill adjustments all getting fairly good again. 

Anyone wants any striking tips i'm down to help if you have any problem areas. I always loved teaching, sharing and breaking down fundamentals of how/why of technique and it's one area i can keep it fairly short & sweet. I'm kinda genius when it comes to simple drills to hone particular skills for techniques, how they flow and work well and what are the common mistakes & weaknesses. 

lolololol denison trying to justify being a beta and not handling weather. just admit your a puss and be done with it

Edited by Ozpride
  • Like 1

lolololol denison trying to justify being a beta and not handling weather. just admit your a puss and be done with it

Stop picking fights with people in the fitness thread.

I ran a marathon today in 31 degrees and overtook an Australian at the half way mark because he couldn't handle the humidity!!

• Like 3

Stop picking fights with people in the fitness thread.

I ran a marathon today in 31 degrees and overtook an Australian at the half way mark because he couldn't handle the humidity!!

that is awesome! im not picking fights old chap I'm calling out truths.

that is awesome! im not picking fights old chap I'm calling out truths.

I just wish you would park your hostility towards denizen and soup. This is pretty much the only consistently positive thread on here. Let's keep it that way.

• Like 3

I just wish you would park your hostility towards denizen and soup. This is pretty much the only consistently positive thread on here. Let's keep it that way.

Just ignore it, and it will go away.

• Like 2

That's really cool man. So jelly. No gi is my fav. I h8 the gi.

I don't have any friends into it and the closest place to train is an hr + away so i don't get to roll anymore but i do miss it sometimes a lot. I was doing some seminars a few times a month at a Karate school in town for their instructors and some cops but we has a conflict of interest so i stopped doing that for them. The last time i rolled was almost a yr ago with my last GF. I teach all my GF's jitz lol

On the strength debate. Strength can be an advantage but it depends on the players. It can be a factor for sure but most of the time not really. Definitely not as much as people think. Even if skills are equal there are ways around strength and that shouldn't be your focus with Jitz anyway. The idea is maximum efficacy with minimum effort.

Knowledge of leverage & technical details honed to muscle memory, knowing how to nullify/shutdown game before it gets into deep waters, knowing how to use deception & baiting a person to lend/use energy or make space are all way more important in BJJ than strength or athleticism.

A statement like this, that statement of mine... they are entirely too vague to see either one of us is right or wrong. What is "stronger?" What is "more skillful?" There needs to be values assigned to these in order to say whose right or wrong. Let me explain my position.

Do you realize there are less than 1000 legitimate Brazilian jujitsu black belt world wide? In a world filled with 6 billion people, that is not a very big number. And there's probably an equal amount of brown belts. I'm not googling that, but it would make sense because the majority of one's life as a lifetime practitioner will be as a black belt. Because you can be a black belt for 30 years, but you are not going to be a brown belt for a nearly that long. And it's doubtful that anyone makes it to brown belt and then quits. If you put that much time and dedication, you're in it for life.

So there's not a lot of highly skilled practitioners. There are a lot of intermediate practitioners, though. Lots of purple belts and blue belts.

Now compare the number of highly skilled practitioners… a thousand black belts and equal number of brown belts…to the number of really strong people in this world. There are tons and tons of really strong people. How many men on this earth can benchpress over 400 pounds? 10 million? 20 million? More?

Really strong people are way, way more common than highly skilled jujitsu practitioners. Your statement is more an exception than the rule.

And then there's all sorts of highly athletic people, completely different breeds of explosive, flexible cardio animals who can do high rep whatever's and who stood out in a different sport. Do you think after a few months of experience they're going to get dominated by every knucklehead in the gym with a blue belt?

I know what you meant. You meant a black belt against an NFL player. You meant some scenario that only happens on some famous jujitsu guru's YouTube channel. Alright, I can agree with that, but I was talking about what happens in every gym around the globe every day. I was talking about real life.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup

having a giggle at someone crying about 30 degrees is hardly hostile - and well, Soup is soup. if he didn't make up absolute rubbish on things he knew nothing about I'd not need to refute his posts so often. How would you enjoy it if he started boasting about doing ultramarathons and claiming he was right about things that are not even remotely true?

Well, you'd probably turn the other cheek or something. I can't do that. I'm positive as much as I can be :) Sorry if this upsets you

Just don't become mozzez... especially since you called him out on it not so long ago.

lol i don't hate the guy m8

• Like 1

soups been to ten bjj classes and lectures Stomp on it whos trained for years

I'm not lecturing anyone, I'm having a spirited disagreement on a specific point. My argument is valid, but I also see his point of view. Additionally, I haven't shown a trace of disrespect.

On another note, while it is true that I have only been going to this jiujitsu school for a month, this is by no means my first rodeo. While I have never worn the gi or had much formal instruction, I went to Steve Berger's gym about twice a week for over a year. I later went to a gym which was closer, Hahn MMA, for about a year. I have choked and arm-barred and swept more people that I can possibly remember. I have had two MMA fights. All this was years ago. I am not a jujitsu master, but I am also not completely clueless about it. My opinions are absolutely valid.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup
  • Like 1

I didn't say it wasn't a factor. Just not as much as some people think. On the feet it can be more of a factor but not "as much" on the ground because of a lot of factors. << Notice i say "as much" here. 

Strength requires effort and there is a tax for that. That tax catches up over time if relied on too much because your ego tells you you need to be this tough hardened caveman warrior that doesn't apply his brain as much or more than his brawn so if you fall into that trap you WILL NOT be as efficient nor effective.  

This is in essence what i was saying but it goes much deeper....

Here are four principles for you to consider. 

1. Leverage allows for use of minimal effort & mechanical advantage. 

2. Superior control/positioning allows for use of minimal effort & mechanical advantage.

3. Managing space allows for use of minimal effort & mechanical advantage.

4. Disrupting weight distribution allows for minimal effort & mechanical advantage.

What do all of these have in common? Time, Space & Energy < Kinda like the universe huh? 

What approach do you think is more efficient & effective? Minimal effort, maximum efficiency 

There are countless ways in Jiu-Jitsu where positioning is superior so that strength isn't that much of a factor. There are countless ways to manage space, bait people to conserve your energy while getting someone to expend theirs and it allows opportunity for better use leverage where there is a mechanical advantage with bone structure and superior angle/positioning so that you are using less muscular effort than someone trying to muscle through problems which of course has a higher tax. 

Because of that the player that isn't using strength as much is paying a lower tax so if they play their cards right time is on their side. I know that to be the case from my own experiences and we've seen it countless times at the very highest level with smaller guys beating other high level guys in open weight classes because they used superior technique/intellect and relied less on strength.

Next time you roll Soup throw that ego away and pretend you aren't strong. Try to solve problems with your mind instead. You may get tapped some and find yourself in RUF spots at first but if you approach Jitz with the idea of not using "as much" strength but only what is required you will become A LOT better problem solver player and eventually over time you will become WAY more skilled, dangerous & tougher to defeat in all situation both on and off the mat. 

The trip part here Soup is everything i said here translates to life as well. There is a philosophy of intellect, longevity and survival at the very root of Jiu-Jitsu and to me this is why it's such a beautiful art. That essence translates to the REAL world and cuts through the BS conditioning we have to think of everything with more of an ego based mindset. i.e. one must be tough, one must be strong, one must go at everything head on. < Those are all necessary at times don't get me wrong, but Jitz and many other things teach us there are better ways to solve problems with our brains over the brawn.  

- Professor SG out.  :P

In all seriousness i enjoy discussion and dissection of things. Why? Sharpens my mind, enhances my ability for emotional control, allows me to express myself but above all it allows me to put my own ego/bias aside and be willing to be a learner as much as i am a teacher. In my heart i an forever the student. Martial Arts & lol wimmin taught me that lesson better than any other thing. It's deeply ingrained in the core of my being and it's almost a sort of spiritual thing for me.  

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Apologies to Stompgrind, if he took offense. Spirited debate was my only intention.

No worries m8. I replied and enjoy the discussion as long as we all keep our egos in check it's always a pleasure. 

I didn't say it wasn't a factor. Just not as much as some people think. On the feet it can be more of a factor but not "as much" on the ground because of a lot of factors. << Notice i say "as much" here.

Strength requires effort and there is a tax for that. That tax catches up over time if relied on too much because your ego tells you you need to be this tough hardened caveman warrior that doesn't apply his brain as much or more than his brawn so if you fall into that trap you WILL NOT be as efficient nor effective.

This is in essence what i was saying but it goes much deeper....

Here are four principles for you to consider.

1. Leverage allows for use of minimal effort & mechanical advantage.

2. Superior control/positioning allows for use of minimal effort & mechanical advantage.

3. Managing space allows for use of minimal effort & mechanical advantage.

4. Disrupting weight distribution allows for minimal effort & mechanical advantage.

What do all of these have in common? Time, Space & Energy < Kinda like the universe huh?

What approach do you think is more efficient & effective? Minimal effort, maximum efficiency

There are countless ways in Jiu-Jitsu where positioning is superior so that strength isn't that much of a factor. There are countless ways to manage space, bait people to conserve your energy while getting someone to expend theirs and it allows opportunity for better use leverage where there is a mechanical advantage with bone structure and superior angle/positioning so that you are using less muscular effort than someone trying to muscle through problems which of course has a higher tax.

Because of that the player that isn't using strength as much is paying a lower tax so if they play their cards right time is on their side. I know that to be the case from my own experiences and we've seen it countless times at the very highest level with smaller guys beating other high level guys in open weight classes because they used superior technique/intellect and relied less on strength.

Next time you roll Soup throw that ego away and pretend you aren't strong. Try to solve problems with your mind instead. You may get tapped some and find yourself in RUF spots at first but if you approach Jitz with the idea of not using "as much" strength but only what is required you will become A LOT better problem solver player and eventually over time you will become WAY more skilled, dangerous & tougher to defeat in all situation both on and off the mat.

The trip part here Soup is everything i said here translates to life as well. There is a philosophy of intellect, longevity and survival at the very root of Jiu-Jitsu and to me this is why it's such a beautiful art. That essence translates to the REAL world and cuts through the BS conditioning we have to think of everything with more of an ego based mindset. i.e. one must be tough, one must be strong, one must go at everything head on. < Those are all necessary at times don't get me wrong, but Jitz and many other things teach us there are better ways to solve problems with our brains over the brawn.

- Professor SG out. :P

In all seriousness i enjoy discussion and dissection of things. Why? Sharpens my mind, enhances my ability for emotional control, allows me to express myself but above all it allows me to put my own ego/bias aside and be willing to be a learner as much as i am a teacher. In my heart i an forever the student. Martial Arts & lol wimmin taught me that lesson better than any other thing. It's deeply ingrained in the core of my being and it's almost a sort of spiritual thing for me.

Right now I don't have technique. Right now all I am is an idiot caveman. So if it came down to it, that's all I got.

But I kid you not, I'm already been onboard this program you've outlined. That very first day I showed up I went to the open roll, Which was followed by a technique class, which I also went to. And it felt good to outmuscle the guys I was matched up with. But I haven't been back to the open roll since then, except for one time on accident when I had the schedule wrong.

I've only been going to the technique classes. And I've been going upstairs with the newbies, instead of on the main floor. All we do is drill escapes. There's no submissions. There's no competition and there's no fun stuff. I don't get to play tough guy. I'm not letting my ego get in the way at all. I don't tell anyone "I used to do this." I'm not trying to outmuscle anyone for now. I want to actually learn jujitsu.

• Like 1

having a giggle at someone crying about 30 degrees is hardly hostile -

I'm not interested in useless arguments on the internet. I will say though, that you took one my comment completely out of its context.

I have been saying for a month that I've been injured and unable to run. I've been struggling to get back to it and am only just in good enough health to get back to running.

A month ago I was running a half marathon. Back then, of course I could do 5k in any kind of reasonable heat.

My first two runs back were last week and 5k even in warm temperatures was tough. I should pretend I could do it in 30 degree heat when it was a struggle for me at 20 degrees? Why? Why would I lie? So that you dont think I'm a beta? LoL, no.

Ftr, the beta is the guy that hung up his running shoes after getting injured. Not the guy who healed up and got back at it as soon as he was confident he was physically capable.

• Like 1

Did my usual track run. 10 mile walk but did 3 jogging instead of 5. 

Finna lift some weights/swissball later then hit the sauna which i haven't done in a while. Besides a few workouts here and there i''ve kinda been slacking lately on strength training & diet. Slacking to me is not working out twice a day and straying from my diet a few times a week with fast food. 

Time to get back into gear again before i start going the way of DC which is unfknacceptable for me because i sure ain't jacked and sknny fat is not a good look for me. 

• Like 1

I'm not interested in useless arguments on the internet. I will say though, that you took one my comment completely out of its context.

I have been saying for a month that I've been injured and unable to run. I've been struggling to get back to it and am only just in good enough health to get back to running.

A month ago I was running a half marathon. Back then, of course I could do 5k in any kind of reasonable heat.

My first two runs back were last week and 5k even in warm temperatures was tough. I should pretend I could do it in 30 degree heat when it was a struggle for me at 20 degrees? Why? Why would I lie? So that you dont think I'm a beta? LoL, no.

Ftr, the beta is the guy that hung up his running shoes after getting injured. Not the guy who healed up and got back at it as soon as he was confident he was physically capable.

fair enough. what did u do to your achilles anyway?

• Like 2

fair enough. what did u do to your achilles anyway?

Noob error.

I simply over stretched it while trying to loosen in a cool down after a training run in preparation for a race. Lesson learned.

Thanks for responding in a civil manner.

• Like 1

Couple of pics from my marathon on Saturday.  Hilliest race I've ever entered; to put it in context, my 54 mile ultra had 5000 feet of elevation gain; this one had over 4000 feet in only 26 miles.  Took over 6 hours, partly because of the elevation and partly the heat, but the views were stunning.  Ran the first part with the missus and her mate, which was nice.

There was also one hill that I struggled just to walk up.  I swear it was more than 45 degrees.

36761962_10216811122536230_344780852039936801689_10216811177297599_8640807122411

• Like 2

Anyway. I now have no more races booked for the year, but my main objective is still to come.  4 weeks from today we start our 250 mile hike through the Sierra's.  Gonna intensify my training as follows:-

Monday - Gym (mainly bodyweight exercises focusing on back, chest, shoulders plus a bit of legs)

Tuesday - Hike up the local hill 6 times with 35lb pack

Wednesday - 6-10 mile run

Thursday - Gym (as above)

Friday - 4-6 mile run

Saturday - 10+ mile hike with 35lb pack

Sunday - 5-8 mile run

Hoping that will round things off nicely.  I know my endurance is fine, but haven't hiked with that weight so much.  Also eating anything i can get my hands on; need some fat reserves for the wilderness!

• Like 1

So lifting heavy does not equal strength it turns out - for me at least.

About 18 months I was at my peak lifting. 90kg bench, 220kg dl, 190kg squats, 150 inverted row, 85kg military press. I had added a fair bit of bulk and felt strong af.

I was running my business from the office and doing a fair bit of freelance stuff on the side.

Since then my work has become much more hands on and physical. Now I don't have time to get to a gym other than for bjj twice a week and kb every second week. I've just crunched the numbers and I'm shifting over 12 TONNES of produce 5 days a week, and half that on saturdays on and off a truck by hand. I do 300 milk crates and 120 kegs on and off by hand every morning, often off one truck, onto the ground and back on another, then rolling them in and out of venues. I normally just manage our contracts from the office but a couple of drivers are off injured so I'm running a few by myself in person and it's awesome.

I've dropped down to 87kg now and am lean and mean. I probably can't squat 200kg's but am moving 70kg kegs around like they're carry on suitcases. Don't think I'll ever work in an office again!

Carpel tunnel did slaughter me for the first month or so but that went away without surgery thank fook!!!

Edited by Ozpride
  • Like 2