Sign in to follow this  
Megasoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

Can I come hang out? Want to smoke some reefer?

Sure. I haven't smoked anything since my drive from Los Angeles, but I'll take a few puffs.

• Like 1

So I'm riding down a decent hill at 30 mph, and a Toyota pick up is coming towards me in the other lane. No turn signal, but he's slowing down, so i figure he's going to turn left after i pass. Instead, he turns left right in front of me. I slam on both brake levers, fish tale so bad that I'm now facing 90 degrees to the left, but I somehow manage to keep from going down or hitting the truck. Some 80 year old **** hole just looks at me and keeps going while I'm flipping him off and yelling at him. Damn, I'm a good rider, thought I was going to hit the side of his truck, or slide underneath. I'm still pissed off by that ancient piece of chit! Too bad I wasn't riding with my GoPro!

• Like 1

Some 80 year old **** hole just looks at me and keeps going whileI'm flipping him off and yelling at him.

u got a mirror on your handlebars m8?

Sure. I haven't smoked anything since my drive from Los Angeles, but I'll take a few puffs.

"ive never touched a drug in my life and all druggies are scum" - Cantkeepupwithhisownlies-a-soup

• Like 1

i just lifted a bowl of keif to my mouth. done maybe 10-15 reps.  f*ck yeah boys im getting ripped

Edited by -idyb-

i just lifted a bowl of keif to my mouth. done maybe 10-15 reps. f*ck yeah boys im getting ripped

that's never going to work without incorporating some pushups m8

Ran today. Heat was murder today. Been a while because my mom's is having health issues and i haven't really been myself much lately either. 

On the way back i walked by downtown and spotted an elderly lady and i'm guessing her half disabled mother slowly coming out of the library so i walked across the street real quick and held the outside door for them. The elderly lady thanked me. The disabled lady was so old she probably didn't even know i was there and was so focused on taking her steps. Poor thing. 

I saw some other people walk by on their phone and couldn't help but think there are too many people in this world who weren't raised right, don't have manners and wouldn't ever go out of there way to do a kind gesture for a complete stranger that in my eyes is mandatory as a human being. 

It's funny there are certain types of people that are so narcissistic that you could even know them for yrs and they'd give you the silent treatment when you ask for something sometimes which is total BS but that's a story for another day...  It's genuinely why i don't like people. I know too many psychological tools and the way people operate and it turns me off to them. 

There are far to many people full of themselves to do anything nice for others even small things that might mean a lot.  That bothers me but i never let chit like that deter that much. Let's me know who they are and reminds me of who i am in case i forget because sometimes i forget or have this feeling as if i just shouldn't give AF.

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Ran today. Heat was murder today. Been a while because my mom's is having health issues and i haven't really been myself much lately either.

On the way back i walked by downtown and spotted an elderly lady and i'm guessing her half disabled mother slowly coming out of the library so i walked across the street real quick and held the outside door for them. The elderly lady thanked me. The disabled lady was so old she probably didn't even know i was there and was so focused on taking her steps. Poor thing.

I saw some other people walk by on their phone and couldn't help but think there are too many people in this world who weren't raised right, don't have manners and wouldn't ever go out of there way to do a kind gesture for a complete stranger that in my eyes is mandatory as a human being.

It's funny there are certain types of people that are so narcissistic that you could even know them for yrs and they'd give you the silent treatment when you ask for something sometimes which is total BS but that's a story for another day... It's genuinely why i don't like people. I know too many psychological tools and the way people operate and it turns me off to them.

There are far to many people full of themselves to do anything nice for others even small things that might mean a lot. That bothers me but i never let chit like that deter that much. Let's me know who they are and reminds me of who i am in case i forget because sometimes i forget or have this feeling as if i just shouldn't give AF.

but how many pushups did you do?

really though - agreed. I think those slaves walking around scrolling probably have decent hearts, they're just addicted to the matrix device. Most people will help people. I see that a lot over here, even a piece of chit junkie will pick up groceries a helpless little old lady dropped if it was right in front of them.

• Like 1

but how many pushups did you do?

really though - agreed. I think those slaves walking around scrolling probably have decent hearts, they're just addicted to the matrix device. Most people will help people. I see that a lot over here, even a piece of chit junkie will pick up groceries a helpless little old lady dropped if it was right in front of them.

Haven't been doing many push-ups lately. Need to get back on that. 

On the nice gestures. Sadly i don't really see that with people anymore. I hear stories but rarely see it now. 

You're totally right though it's usually the down an out kinda person that has the most graciousness to do the right thing. That's why i think society is backwards sometimes with people being all self important or too "busy" for anyone else that they nearly lost what it is to be a human being and forgot how to simply interact and make connections with people. That's becoming a lost art. 

• Like 2

Log me down for another run. Was balls deep in sweat with the heat again. Even though the temps and humidity were similar today i didn't struggle as much as i did yesterday after being out of action for a little while. Already adapting fast. 

Felt pretty good today and these last 8 or so runs I've changed my form a little. I'm doing the "Pose" method of running. Picked that up from Firas. Never heard of it before then. 

I get tired a little faster taking slightly more 30-45 sec walk breaks but i find it is a lot smoother and easier on my joints especially my spine, hips, & knees. I find it can be a little tougher on your calves, ankles and feet but i always had killer calves from basketball, Martial Arts and dancing so had a strong foundation there that I've kept up with my skipping/shiffling sort plyo style road work footwork that i mix into my jogging, as well as doing sprint training, hills, dancing & yoga balancing poses all of which help develop coordination and proprioception. 

• Like 2

Final couple of weeks of training for my hike now.

Last night I slogged up the local hill 5 times with ~35 lb pack on my back.  It's been crazy hot here (back in your box OZ) so did it at 9PM.  Still sweated buckets, but felt good.

Funny part was the local hill has very good views and is quite a romantic spot at sunset.  Some poor bloke had taken his missus up there for a peaceful couple of hours...broken only by a sweaty bloke with a beard popping up every 10 minutes for an hour or so.  Made a bit of a joke of it all with them; she was highly amused, the bloke not so much.

Felt sorry for him initially, but after his surly response to my light-hearted banter I'm with Matt Serra on this one.

Edited by Bubba_Sparks
  • Like 5

Final couple of weeks of training for my hike now.

Last night I slogged up the local hill 5 times with ~35 lb pack on my back.  It's been crazy hot here (back in your box OZ) so did it at 9PM.  Still sweated buckets, but felt good.

Funny part was the local hill has very good views and is quite a romantic spot at sunset.  Some poor bloke had taken his missus up there for a peaceful couple of hours...broken only by a sweaty bloke with a beard popping up every 10 minutes for an hour or so.  Made a bit of a joke of it all with them; she was highly amused, the bloke not so much.

Felt sorry for him initially, but after his surly response to my light-hearted banter I'm with Matt Serra on this one.

LMAO! Liked especially for the creative use of Matt "fk 'em" Serra

• Like 1

I've been feeling good all week. Pretty wore out yesterday, so I didn't do anything. But today I went to jujitsu, came back and ate something and then did bunch of pull-ups and curls and triceps extensions and Dorian deadlifts and shrugs and wrist roll ups. Really worked myself out. Chilled out for a while and then went to the riverfront jogged around a little bit and then did a bunch of hill sprints. So I had a lot of energy today. Probably won't do much tomorrow, as I'll be at work. Maybe I'll knock out a bunch of push-ups. I probably won't, though. Unless its slow, but I really hope its not slow.

Swimming is going well, feeling a lot more confident in the water, spending less energy, not getting particularly faster, but the effort I need to accomplish the same distance is getting considerably lower :)

• Like 2

Also, CB, any tips on getting a second hand road bike? what should I look for and most importantly not look for :)

• Like 1

Also, CB, any tips on getting a second hand road bike? what should I look for and most importantly not look for :)

I've never bought a used bike. Just don't buy anything with rust or dents in the frame. I would just buy an affordable, brand name, new bike. That's what I've always done, and then I ride them into the ground!

• Like 2

I'll keep that in mind, I am just afraid to pull the trigger and every time I find one that I would buy I read the comments and there is always something in there that just puts me off, I guess I'll end up buying one impulsively hahahaha

• Like 1

I've never bought a used bike. Just don't buy anything with rust or dents in the frame. I would just buy an affordable, brand name, new bike. That's what I've always done, and then I ride them into the ground!

That's exactly what i do but i'm not riding professionally so i don't care about brand but i wouldn't buy a used bike. Don't want someone else's problem bike. 

A new but cheap 100-200 dollar bike from lol Walmart suits my needs just fine. 

I actually thought about getting a more high end one with an electric motor off Amazon just to go joy riding occasionally because i don't wanna buy a real motorbike & pay insurance for something i only use occasionally and also run the risk of getting ran the fk over with all the idiots driving around on their phones. 

• Like 1

That's exactly what i do but i'm not riding professionally so i don't care about brand but i wouldn't buy a used bike. Don't want someone else's problem bike. 

A new but cheap 100-200 dollar bike from lol Walmart suits my needs just fine. 

I actually thought about getting a more high end one with an electric motor off Amazon just to go joy riding occasionally because i don't wanna buy a real motorbike & pay insurance for something i only use occasionally and also run the risk of getting ran the fk over with all the idiots driving around on their phones. 

Those Walmart bikes are usually very heavy, and a few pounds makes a huge difference in performance. Also, I won't ride anything that doesn't have quick release levers for the tires, since I have to patch a flat a few times every year.

• Like 2

Those Walmart bikes are usually very heavy, and a few pounds makes a huge difference in performance. Also, I won't ride anything that doesn't have quick release levers for the tires, since I have to patch a flat a few times every year.

Yeah i just don't ride enough to have need for much more & i'm not competing for anything so i don't care that much about performance. Biking is just supplemental to my other exercise so i don't get burned out with running which is my primary endurance workout. 

I bought those no flat inner tubes for my last one and never had any issues with flats for a few yrs. I currently don't even own a bike though but i am thinking about getting one again cause i do miss riding sometimes. Does nothing for my calves but works my thighs out in a different way than running does and i do like to change things up. To me riding is a way more relaxing thing and certainly easier on my joints. 

I'll be using it for my triathlon so I do want some performance but I am not going for any big names either, I just don't want to buy a cheap new one and then say I could have gotten a bike with better components that is a couple of years old that would have been way better.

• Like 1

I'll be using it for my triathlon so I do want some performance but I am not going for any big names either, I just don't want to buy a cheap new one and then say I could have gotten a bike with better components that is a couple of years old that would have been way better.

If you decide you really enjoy bicycling for exercise you will probably end up looking for an upgrade, so keep that in mind.

• Like 1

If you decide you really enjoy bicycling for exercise you will probably end up looking for an upgrade, so keep that in mind.

Yup too many things to consider hahaha, running was easier, shoes on, go. Same with swimming, googles on go. Biking is just too much!

dont buy walmart bikes lol unless all ur gonna do is ride it around on flat pavement. those things are all cheap **** bottom of the barrel components assembled by a bunch of monkeys working for minimum wage at walmart and everything will fall apart on it. and it will tremble in fear at the sight of an upcoming bump or the thought of going down a hill and actually having to slow down.

i rode a walmart bike when i was a teen. it was the nicest walmart bike they had, which really doesnt say much. both stanchions on my front shock snapped from taking just the smallest drop and i woke up in the hospital after being in a coma with my bike in two pieces with my friend who was riding with me standing over me as well as my parents. when i finally came to and looked around and seen the nurse and everyone i asked "am i in heaven?" . fuct me right up good. got a concussion, lost a tooth, face was all scarred up. all because of a cheap mountain bike that wasnt actually built for any mountains. the smallest jump on it literally broke the thing in two pieces and could have killed me. it was a Mongoose bike with these Ballistic branded front shocks. total garbage.  just like every bike youd find at a department store.

ill never ride a walmart bike again or any crap theyd sell outside of a specialized bike shop. no f*cking way. not even down the street.  unless the forks say Fox, Marzocchi, RockShox, or Manitou, i won't even sit on it.

looking back on it that was pretty stupid. i should have bought a real bike. probably a used one from one of our bike stores. sure it wouldnt be new, and might have a few imperfections, but it probably wouldnt have costed much more money and it would be a hell of alot more safe and reliable than that f*cking walmart pile of chit.    but i was like 15 years old at the time and got my parents to pay for the bike, i didnt know any better at the time.   i wish i would have known or i never would have even sat on the damn thing.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 2

Lol just to be clear i wasn't suggesting amunera get a Walmart bike. I've never had any issues but like i said i just got one for casual riding. If i was gonna suggest something it would be something more high end or middle of the road as CB suggested. It's not a car so just bite the bullet and don't be a total cheap skate. 

I almost considered buying this thing when i was looking for fly sturdy electric bikes built for comfort. 

super-73-1.jpg

This thing is dope AF but there is no way it's worth the 3000 dollar price tag and i definitely couldn't justify the price for as little as i ride. 

would be kind of fun to rip around town on those things.  that one looks like a$$ though. id rather just get an electric scooter if thats the only kind of riding i'd do with it.

i'd be more keen on buying a cross country style bike that could fit a small motor mounted onto like a rack in the back or something.  or mount an electric kit on there.

probably like a cheap old used one thats still in great shape, tune it up and overhaul it to your likings and then buy an electric kit or a motor seperately and get it on there. it would require a little bit of logistics to make it work, but you'd probably save quite a bit of money

i thought that would be a neat little project. one of my bikes could probably accomodate some kind of motor or electric setup. i dont really know how it all works though but im sure if i tinkered around enough and scoured the internet for information and advice i could probably make it work.

Edited by -idyb-

I'm in the middle of a workout and I'm toying with the idea of trying out this "greasing the groove" method of exercise. I think I'll do my normal workout tomorrow and then start the new **** Monday.

I'm in the middle of a workout and I'm toying with the idea of trying out this "greasing the groove" method of exercise. I think I'll do my normal workout tomorrow and then start the new **** Monday.

Comrade. Pavel is an excellent teacher. 

• Like 2

I did a kettlebell & DB routine last night after re-watching some Paval again. Dude is hilarious. I'm a little sore today in the hips, legs and back but less than i expected. Did a lot of deadlifts, squats, cleans, swings, snatches & some overhead presses with my KB and DB's. 

I need to refine my technique on snatches. I tend to bang my forearms slightly on overhead swings. Don't have it down smooth yet and if you do a lot reps it reks your forearms. 

I'm ok -ish racking the bell on cleans but i never practiced snatches that much with KB. My favorite KB exercise is one arm swings because there is no racking position involved and still a very similar hinging muscular endurance type full body exercise. Over hard presses of any type are not my thing. I have shoulder impingement issues i need to sort out and i know how just haven't gotten around to doing those hanging exercises working on stabilizing because i don't really have access to a pull up bar. I should probably buy one of those door hanger ones. Bands can help as can isometric pressing against a door frame or certain planking exercises going through ROM can all help but it's not the same as hanging with activating/stabilizing the shoulders. 

My KB is pretty girly lol. I only have a 20 lbs set but i like doing high reps with light weight and little to no rest especially for full body type movements. I don't have the skill set to be swinging around KB's much heavier than that and i like putting more reps in to focus completely on form, structure & breath with a certain smooth ease of effort where i can get into a flow state and relax and have fun with my workouts rather than trying to struggle and feel all manly because i can push/pull heavy weights. 

Fitness goal wise i strive more for everyday all around functional strength and being able to go all damn day if i need rather than say lift a fridge or a couch or tell people about some impressive number i can hoist up a few times. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 2

About a month ago I found some free parking that's just a couple blocks away from the room I'm renting. So that thing I was doing for the first six months of this year of riding, walking or running a mile and a half to get to my car is a thing of the past. I guess I replaced it with jujitsu, although those two were concurrent for a couple weeks.

I've been doing a lot of walking lately, more so after I read an article about the latest scientific discoveries which revealed that our ancestors were actually taller about 10,000 years ago than they are today. The average height was 6 foot three. It was all the roaming they had to do, generation after generation of roaming. They were taller, they had denser bones and larger brains. They had superior athleticism, according to the scientist the average male could outsprint, outrun and outperform our top Olympians in feats of strength.

So on my nights off, in addition to all that other junk I've been doing, I usually pack a backpack with a couple weight plates and walk around for a few miles. It's something.

I've been pretty consistent and regular about the training my grip strength. And last night when I got off work I ordered another captains of crush gripper, a 1.5. It's the bridge between my 1, which is quite easy, and my 2, which I can't close. I'm looking forward to getting it in the mail. I can't afford big toys, so the small indulgences are enough to thrill me.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup

Sorry I've been quiet lately dudes. New job, moving house has hit my training. Plus my gym shut down.

Enough excuses though, I've been doing my push ups and pull ups, and I'll be back in the gym end of the week with regular updates homies.

• Like 1

lifting nachos to my face for breakfast. i usually never do breakfast but today im up early making gains. f*ck yeah my jaws are getting jacked

sadly this might be the most off duty excercise i get for a while. i get next monday off and thats it for me for the summer. all these fires better fook right off i want to get one more good ride in, but if it cant happen on monday then i gotta wait until september.

i should have followed verts lead and graduated with honors from a top 10 university and then i probably wouldnt have to deal with this chit. instead i fell slave to the man.

it pisses me off though ive been waiting anxiously since winter to get out and do some riding this summer on my days off. i mean hell i even bought a new bike just to make sure i'd be good to go for this season, and now that the summer is here its all gone to chit on me  every time im able to get a day off i cant really go riding because this whole region is blanketed in smoke and this whole province is on fire.  i mean i should be used to it, its like this every summer, but usually its just smoke from other fires in the region, and this time we've got fires all around some of the areas along the trail i need to go through just to be able to get home.

i think im pretty much fuct for riding the rest of the summer. theres a couple downhill trails i can hit up on this one network thats well out of the way from the fires,  but other than that my only option is to ride south,  which is piss easy and i can do in my sleep and theres nowhere really to go and by the time i even break a sweat im already right near the US border and have to turn around.  all the rest of the trail networks are well in the way of the fires on my way back. i have one more day off this summer and i want to spend it on my bike, but because of all these fires in the area its pretty much leaving me with no good options here. sorry but it rustles my jimmies and i gotta rant

Edited by -idyb-

Sorry to hear about the fires IDYB.  I've been keeping tabs on that Ferguson Fire in Yosemite for a while but thankfully looks as if it won't thwart our plans.

July was a bit of a cool down month from my ultras, plus done more hiking and gym work in preparation for the JMT.  Totals were as follows:-

July - 113 miles (180ish km).  Elevation gain 9000 feet (2800ish M)

Total ytd - 839 miles (1360ish km).  Elevation gain 64000 feet (20000ish M)

Hope life has taken a turn for the better Amunera.  Where are you up to now?  I think you'll struggle to keep up now you're training for a triathlon but you'll kick my **** in cycling and swimming miles!

Flying to LA on Friday and should be in the Sierra Nevadas on Monday morning.  With no reception for over 3 weeks i think this will be my last fitness post for some time.  Keep up the good work fellas!

• Like 2

I did this sort of super set circuit routine last night. 

3 min full body warm-up with joint mobility to loosen up and 1 min of Burpees then 45 sec active rest walking around then on to the following 15 exercises for 30 seconds each. 

Chain 1

- KB Swing 

- DB Bent-Over Rows

- DB Swissball Flys 

- 30 sec active rest

Chain 2
- DB Deadlift
- DB Bench Press on Swissball
- DB Sumo Squat
- 30 sec active rest

Chain 3
- DB Upright Rows
- Swissball Crunches 
- DB Goblet Squat
- 30 sec active rest

Chain 4
- DB Military Press
- Knee Raises on my walker
- DB Pull-overs
- 30 sec active rest

Chain 5
- Swissball DB Pelvic Lifts
- DB Bicep Curls
- DB Tricep Extensions
- 30 sec active rest

After the first cycle going through all 5 chains i rested a full minute and a half. After the second i added another 30 seconds. After the third i did a 3 min cool down & stretched out a full 10 min them was done.

This routine is nothing spectacular but it is challenging for muscular endurance when you get to the third cycle and i like the way i designed the order of exercise combinations and that it's a full body routine focused somewhat on opposing groups or switching from lower body to upper body or a core exercise as a way to break it up and rest one area a little so you're not pounding one region into the dust so much. 

I didn't do this but one interesting thing you can do is after a full rest you can switch the order or even swap exercises around of your chains so it's not the same exact 1-5 circuit. You can even assign numbers to chains and roll some dice to randomize the order with the six number you can re-roll again or just add additional active rest or fill it with other exercises not on the list. 

The thing i like a lot about full body circuits & chains is you can design some cool routines with lots of exercises from anything be it martial arts, yoga, calisthenics, weights etc. and i just love that kinda variety. 
Edited by StompGrind

Question for the group. My youngest daughter, who is 15, is a sprinter. 100m, 200m (outdoor) and 60m and 150m (indoor) in addition to the 4x100m relay. She is currently ranked 5th in the province for the 100m. I am creating a gym in our basement for her to compliment her current training. Her trainer is three time Olympian Charles Seck who ran for Senegal but now lives in Canada, so she is getting all her track time training needs met but we want to compliment that with weight training and diet. She just finished the outdoor season competing in the Quebec Games. She’ll train now three times a week at the track until the indoor season starts around February. My question revolves around types of exercises she can do which are safe and effective given her age and objectives of increasing her speed while making sure she stays safe regarding not overdoing it or doing useless exercises given her objectives. Right now, she wants to build her hamstrings both for strength and also injury prevention. I’ve read that deadlifts are good for this? At the Games we saw about 3 athletes go down mid-sprint on account of pushing beyond their capabilities and injuring their hamstring muscles. So if anyone here has experience with sprinting specifically it would be great but I know most of you have the basics of weight training knowledge. Any input or direction is appreciated. TIA guys!

Question for the group. My youngest daughter, who is 15, is a sprinter. 100m, 200m (outdoor) and 60m and 150m (indoor) in addition to the 4x100m relay. She is currently ranked 5th in the province for the 100m. I am creating a gym in our basement for her to compliment her current training. Her trainer is three time Olympian Charles Seck who ran for Senegal but now lives in Canada, so she is getting all her track time training needs met but we want to compliment that with weight training and diet. She just finished the outdoor season competing in the Quebec Games. She’ll train now three times a week at the track until the indoor season starts around February. My question revolves around types of exercises she can do which are safe and effective given her age and objectives of increasing her speed while making sure she stays safe regarding not overdoing it or doing useless exercises given her objectives. Right now, she wants to build her hamstrings both for strength and also injury prevention. I’ve read that deadlifts are good for this? At the Games we saw about 3 athletes go down mid-sprint on account of pushing beyond their capabilities and injuring their hamstring muscles. So if anyone here has experience with sprinting specifically it would be great but I know most of you have the basics of weight training knowledge. Any input or direction is appreciated. TIA guys!

I would just ask her coach, as he is an Olympian and most of us can't even touch our toes. Just ask him straight out if it would be a good idea if she augmented her training with weights at home. Mention the deadlift. He'll say yes or no or he might even give you complete program tailored to your daughters needs specifically.

Just joined my new gym. Right opposite the train station and 10 mins from my house. I'll be regularly keeping you updated even if you don't give a ****! I'm in good shape as I've been running and doing bodyweight stuff, but I'm pretty weak in terms of my lifts :(. Won't take long to shift that though!

• Like 6

Just joined my new gym. Right opposite the train station and 10 mins from my house. I'll be regularly keeping you updated even if you don't give a ****! I'm in good shape as I've been running and doing bodyweight stuff, but I'm pretty weak in terms of my lifts :(. Won't take long to shift that though!

I'm sure most of us will be thrilled to hear from you. I hope you like the new gym.

• Like 1

I'm sure most of us will be thrilled to hear from you. I hope you like the new gym.

It's cool. I'm used to working out in dives, so there's a few bits of kit there I haven't had access to before.

Quite keen on advice from all of you about the use of kettle bells, ropes, chains, if they are worth using/how you use them would be great. (And stomp before your mind starts wandering I'm talking chains specifically for working out with dude, lol).

@Beg

I know for a fact squats & deadlifts can improve your sprinting speed but it really depends on so many things like form, how much she already trains, how limber she is etc. Plyometrics can definitely help too as can any kind of fast feet agility type drills. On plyo never do any kind of jumps that have negatives where you need to catch hard on landing. If you're gonna do any kind of plyo the benefit is swiftly raising your knee up fast not landing hard. It's better to step down light instead of taking negative impacts because it's horrible for your knees, hips and back and you will end up being over trained. 

She probably shouldn't do any more than twice a week and more as a primer type supplement practice. Real nice and easy and somewhat intense after fully warming up but limit the volume and keep things short semi intense and sweet then call it a day the minute you feel a little burn out pump fatigue. Extremely important to get your form down first before doing anything heavier or explosive. 

Sprinting is highly demanding on your hips, glutes & hamstrings especially so too much additional work could be a detriment. If you place a focus on hamstring strength & conditioning on top of sprint training you'll probably get tighter there and pull something. 

Being 15 she's probably very limber and can take the wear n tear and if she's anything like her mama i know she's probably stubborn and tough lol. I can still kinda remember how it is to be 15. You do a workout then as soon as you're warmed up you kinda can't help yourself next thing you know you wanna go hard and think you're invincible and all that but i would definitely recommend resisting that urge and leave a whole lot in the basement so to speak so it doesn't dull the blade but instead sharpens it. 

If you're gonna do any kind of strength & conditioning, plyo, agility or stretching etc. it really should be kept in mind those workouts are to sharpen what she's already getting from her regular sprint training. i.e. don't make them full "workouts" but more like a primer to keep the machine sharp and she'll probably see some good results and progress. If she does too much she'll probably get worse & possibly get injured. 

There is also a psychological risk with success. When you see improvement you're naturally proud and wanna push more. Often less is more so resist that urge. I need to learn that with my writing smfh LOL! 

You should ask coach first for sure. He can test her and know what she's capable of and give her better advice than any of us here that's for sure. Hopefully this give both of you some food for thought and some good questions to ask coach. 

Edited by StompGrind

Good luck m8. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I've never used physical chains for working out i.e. like putting chains on a bar. Makes it more unstable so your form has to be perfect. Ropes are great I've used them before. Very dynamic piece of equipment Kettle bells also. 

Advice on any of that stuff is you should have a strong foundation and good form first before doing any of that kinda stuff and really i would never do any of that kinda stuff hard/heavy or when i'm not fresh. The minute you feel fatigue with chains or kettle bells you should back off and rest or skip it and do something a little safer and more traditional. 

I'm a huge fan of the swissball because of the instability. It forces you to focus on those weaker stabilizer muscles which is why i recommend only doing that kinda stuff when you're fresh and not a whole lot else or doing a little bit of that with lighter weight lower intensity after you've done your main work. If you tax your stabilizers and try to do something else intense it's a really bad idea. 

• Like 2

Seck's  a good trainer

Edited by -idyb-

f*ck yeah boys i'll doing the tour de idyb again tomorrow.   just getting everything all charged up and ready to go

calling for some good weather.  but a thunderstorm risk this afternoon. so ill be checking the fire reports up until the last minute just to make sure theres no new ones in my area. the others that were in my way before are classified as out, and the only other 2 ones near the area are contained and being held.

i dont even care if theres smoke. i just need to get a good ride in. and one of my homies bought an RTV the other week and he might roll up the mountains and meet me somewhere up there for some beers and chit when i get closer towards town.

but yeah, as long as theres no new fires along my way, i'm totally doing this. probably going to be my only chance to get back out there until september.  im totally getting dumped off a little farther this time as opposed to my usual spot this summer, so itll be somewhere between a 125-130km trip.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about the fires IDYB.  I've been keeping tabs on that Ferguson Fire in Yosemite for a while but thankfully looks as if it won't thwart our plans.

July was a bit of a cool down month from my ultras, plus done more hiking and gym work in preparation for the JMT.  Totals were as follows:-

July - 113 miles (180ish km).  Elevation gain 9000 feet (2800ish M)

Total ytd - 839 miles (1360ish km).  Elevation gain 64000 feet (20000ish M)

Hope life has taken a turn for the better Amunera.  Where are you up to now?  I think you'll struggle to keep up now you're training for a triathlon but you'll kick my **** in cycling and swimming miles!

Flying to LA on Friday and should be in the Sierra Nevadas on Monday morning.  With no reception for over 3 weeks i think this will be my last fitness post for some time.  Keep up the good work fellas!

Did not run in July, swimming is going well, I have been progressing slowly although I feel I could do more, but that approach has worked for me in running so I#ll stick to it, train smart and conservative, race hard and reckless hahahaha

I will buy the bike this week, and start getting familiarized with it, I do not think I need to train that much, I have riden my MTB for a while and around the distances of the triathlon (20k) so having a lighter bike, with thinner tires and less resistances should only help (plus clipless pedals, to increase efficiency and reduce fatigue).

Yesterday I ran for the first time since Russia, Achilles heel felt ok, not great, I ran to the pool and felt fine, I ran back after swimming and felt meh hahaha I will have to test a mini triathlon to see how my body react to the changes of discipline.

• Like 1

Also after the triathlon I will get back to marathon training, so maybe I will try for a comeback later this year! do not ease up on the miles :P

• Like 1

holy **** did i ever put a good ride in but it took me much more longer than expected. had my buddy meet me up the mountain when i was on my way back and as usual something doesnt go right with him again when he goes up there  ill go on more about that tomorrow and maybe ill put up some scenic pics or something i just got home and gotta be ready for work in 2 hours but man i know im gonna have a good sleep upcoming man i am so beat.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

Nice! Sometimes when you join a new gym they will hook you up with some free personal trainer sessions as well. That can help in getting a good plan set up for your goals.

It's cool. I'm used to working out in dives, so there's a few bits of kit there I haven't had access to before.

Quite keen on advice from all of you about the use of kettle bells, ropes, chains, if they are worth using/how you use them would be great. (And stomp before your mind starts wandering I'm talking chains specifically for working out with dude, lol).

They are definitely worth using but determining how you incorporate them will depend on your goals (is your primary focus getting stronger? better physique? performance based? etc)

I haven't used kettle bells and ropes too often but I've used chains quite a bit. Most often I use them in two ways:

a  ) placing one of those big linked chains around your neck for any kind of chin up is awesome and not hard to set up

or

b  ) using the chain belt that goes around your waste is great for dips cause you can add weight to the chain. A little bit more time to set up but you'll feel like a beast. Can also use the same belt for chin ups as well.

Of course you could be talking about using chains like the endurance ropes.

In any event, what stomp mentioned about having a good foundation is critical. You mentioned you worked out before in places so I'm guessing you don't need advice on form and whatnot.

Edited by Decompoze

Nice! Sometimes when you join a new gym they will hook you up with some free personal trainer sessions as well. That can help in getting a good plan set up for your goals.

They are definitely worth using but determining how you incorporate them will depend on your goals (is your primary focus getting stronger? better physique? performance based? etc)

I haven't used kettle bells and ropes too often but I've used chains quite a bit. Most often I use them in two ways:

a ) placing one of those big linked chains around your neck for any kind of chin up is awesome and not hard to set up

or

b ) using the chain belt that goes around your waste is great for dips cause you can add weight to the chain. A little bit more time to set up but you'll feel like a beast. Can also use the same belt for chin ups as well.

Of course you could be talking about using chains like the endurance ropes.

In any event, what stomp mentioned about having a good foundation is critical. You mentioned you worked out before in places so I'm guessing you don't need advice on form and whatnot.

Yeah man my form has always been sound, getting taken to snap city doesn't appeal to me.

Gonna go down the pull up/dip route with the chains, will let you know how it goes.

I've been killing it, hope you guys have too.

• Like 1