Sign in to follow this  
ReturnoftheSoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

Yeah man my form has always been sound, getting taken to snap city doesn't appeal to me.

Gonna go down the pull up/dip route with the chains, will let you know how it goes.

I've been killing it, hope you guys have too.

Good to hear! Me and my buddy used to do a variation of the weighted dips back in university and it was hell. You do the dips on two benches, hands on one, feet on the other. And when in position, you get your buddy to put a 45 lb plate or two on your lap. The 2 seconds it takes him to remove the plate at the end of the set feels like an hour lol.

• Like 1

Good to hear! Me and my buddy used to do a variation of the weighted dips back in university and it was hell. You do the dips on two benches, hands on one, feet on the other. And when in position, you get your buddy to put a 45 lb plate or two on your lap. The 2 seconds it takes him to remove the plate at the end of the set feels like an hour lol.

Lol that's horrific man.

Did a circuit of deadlifts, bent over rows and wide grip push ups today (12, 8, 12). It was a killer but I feel ****ing awesome now.

• Like 1

Triathlon next weekend, besides swimming I have not really prepared, today I did a brick workout, and the legs do feel really funny when you start running after riding the bike for a while hahaha, I'm glad I tested that today, and did not realized on race day :D

I will start marathon training on Monday, already signed up for Malaga's marathon on December 9.  I have 16 weeks to train :)

• Like 3

I've been busy as hell, but I've been working out just as much as ever. I got the chance a few times last week to lift heavy weights, did two workouts with barbell squats and a one with deadlifts. I'm going to see if I can join a cheap gym so I can lift weights. I'm getting tired of push-ups and pull-ups and dumbbell exercises.

I closed the #2 captains crush the other day. That's kind of a big deal.

I haven't been running. I've just been too goddamn busy.

No jujitsu last week, but I did some today. The instructor gave me a stripe on my white belt after class. It was a pretty big deal for me. I'm sure that's kind of funny, but I'm a bartender that doesn't really stick around too long. Can't really say I have many memories of awards or recognition or promotions.

Then I stayed after for an hour and grappled with two different blue belts. With each of them I had control the entire time, submitting one of them several times and the other one just once. I never gave up a position, nor was submitted. I do however agree that I really am a true white belt because I don't have the same depth of knowledge as these guys.

A lot of work last week, and a bit of work this week. But I stayed active. I am better this week than I was last week.

Haven't been working out much lately. Been busy and just haven't really been feeling it so i needed a break. That pushing everyday thing week after week after week kinda wears on you after a while. I was getting to a stage where i was in plateau and not making much gains and if i kept going i would probably go from seeing small progress to in the red and maybe pulling something.  

Surprisingly i haven't lost or gained much weight at all. In fact i kinda stayed just the same but did lose some muscle. Usually when i take a little break i start getting a little pudgy around my waist but not this time which was surprising because my diet hasn't been that great but not horrible either.

I'm kinda at a level of fitness and age now that i should probably take in more days off and i'll see more gains instead of trying to push it with 5-6 days a week. 

Anyway I got a nice run in today. Cardio is decent but dog chit compared to where i was at a few weeks ago. 

I hope you're still getting after it and enjoying yourselves. Wonder what Bubba is up to? I almost sorta miss that smug fooker.  :P

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

my new boss lent me a road bike, first time riding it and holly ish, you can go so much faster with less effort...now I am not sure what I will race my triathlon on Sunday in...I'll sleep it in, test it again tomorrow and decide

• Like 3

i wanted to get a good ride in on monday but we're still blanketed in smoke god dammit

Edited by -idyb-

This month I have hiked 250 miles with a 40lb pack on my back including over 60000 feet of elevation.

Had a bona fide 6 pack until I ate my own bodyweight in burgers a couple of hours ago.

• Like 6

This month I have hiked 250 miles with a 40lb pack on my back including over 60000 feet of elevation.

Had a bona fide 6 pack until I ate my own bodyweight in burgers a couple of hours ago.

Lol you have my respect. I went to a Brazilian rodizio restaurant for my birthday yesterday and are like a whole cow lol..

• Like 1

Triathlon was fun :) I was dead last out of the water, passed some people on the bike and another bunch in the run, I will come back to triathlons in a couple of years, for now I'll keep focusing on running 

• Like 4

**** yes the winds have shifted and i can see the mountains again. its a fooking miracle! the forecast is good tomorrow and the air quality index is a moderate 4, at least until tomorrow night

so im getting one more ride in this summer. might be my last. at least on this route anyways. and theyre finally calling for rain throughout the end of next week too which is great cause we havent had a drop since last month and even then it only rained for like 20 minutes

but yeah now im stoked  got a ride arranged. just gotta get my chit together.  was gonna pick of some of these NIOSH N95 rated respirator masks and go riding in this chit anyways, but it looks like i dont need to anymore. the chit is all clearing. its like a blessing from god right now. i havent been able to see the mountains for weeks now from all the smoke, let alone across the street 

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 2

Triathlon was fun :) I was dead last out of the water, passed some people on the bike and another bunch in the run, I will come back to triathlons in a couple of years, for now I'll keep focusing on running 

ive never done one. i can swim and bike but running just makes my feet too sore. id probably tap out after just a couple miles.  the only time ull catch me running is when my car and bikes are all broken down and the liquor store is about to close.

but we were gonna have a triathalon here last weekend but it got cancelled because of all the smoke and the piss poor air 10+ air quality ratin.  aint nobody should ever be outside for that, let alone exercising in it.

• Like 1

alright the weather forecast still looks good in all the areas im passing through. got a ride comin in an hour or so to pick me up. shooting for my usual 120-130ish kilometers. i think ive still got it in me. should be a good day of riding at my own slow pace. might be the last chance i have to get out there this summer so i may as well get my legs in gear.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 2

Got a good run in today. 5 mile walk n jog. 4.5 miles steady pace at the track and a 5 mile walk with few sprints mixed in on the way back then a little stretch when i got home. 

Saw my physical therapist buddy at the track today. She passed by some girl she knows at the track and told her she looks great and the girl thanked her. She passed by me and blurts out "Hey how's it going big daddy" and gives me a high five. Lol she usually calls me by name or calls me buddy so it was unexpected but funny as hell. Kinda made my day. We need more friendly sweet people like that in the world. 

Fasted today so i'm starving. Finna tear up a baconator combo right now with a frosty. I earned it. 

• Like 1

Smashed another run. Been slacking on the strength training, yoga & martial arts. Gonna get back into some of that next week. 

• Like 1

man my legs are still kinda sore from mondays ride. i dunno if i wanna do that again. at least until next summer.  it got real cold in the morning it was 5 degrees when i got dumped off there up until it started warming up around noon i was riding through fog.   it warmed up nice in the afternoon. but still far from the 36 degree weather the last time i rode

it took way too long i was getting blasted by wind the whole way and this heavy **** bike isnt built for this kind of riding. and at night it got cold too i should have brought winter gloves instead of just my biking gloves, and maybe a jacket too. but once i got down the last mountain and closer towards town it was alot warmer and i just hung out at a chill spot and drank the rest of my beers before making the last push home

it was a long ride. stopped too many times to get baked and whatnot but otherwise it was pretty uneventful.  the smoke was all cleared anyways. but cause of the wind and cold it felt like it took me twice as long and had to work twice as hard just to get home. it was a good ride tho but i dunno if i wanna do it again this summer. its cooling off alot up there and im just glad i brought a sweater and didnt wear shorts for that ride that would have really sucked.  

and the rainfall from the days before didnt help much for the trail conditions either as i was hoping. the ground ate most of it up. some spots were wet and hardpacked but most of it was still all dry, sandy and rocky.  we need like a good week of rain to get it back in decent condition. we havent had a drop since july up until last weekend. the trail conditions were downright miserable for most of the way but i slogged through it anyways

i might just sell one of my other bikes and put the money towards a proper all mountain or cross country style of bike that will be much more lighter and has plenty of gears and is better suited for this kind of riding. it probably would save me hours of riding and wouldnt be so hard on my legs.  on my downhill tank it felt like i was going at a snails pace for most of the way, but exerting so much energy just to stay moving.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

Lol exercise...

3 weeks high mountain hiking has left me with cardio through the roof but motivation through the floor. Hanging out in napa valley for 3 days drinking wine probably doesn't help.

Going to go for a run tomorrow though. Figure 4 days rest is quite enough.

Also seriously thinking of taking up a new sport or form of exercise when I move to Sweden in September. Cross fit appeals as does x-country skiing and, weirdly, parkour. Any other recommendations?

• Like 1

Lol exercise...

3 weeks high mountain hiking has left me with cardio through the roof but motivation through the floor. Hanging out in napa valley for 3 days drinking wine probably doesn't help.

Going to go for a run tomorrow though. Figure 4 days rest is quite enough.

Also seriously thinking of taking up a new sport or form of exercise when I move to Sweden in September. Cross fit appeals as does x-country skiing and, weirdly, parkour. Any other recommendations?

Crossfit...lol. I think the methodology is wrong and definitely a young dumb mans approach. Doing any kind of power lifting for muscular endurance to failure is just fking stupid and asking for it. All you need for muscular endurance is body weight or lightweights. For strength the classics lifts & pretty heavy is all you need and you don't need to go till you're exhausted and form sucks. Oh look i can do walking handstands and a bunch of muscle ups. < It such a show off training culture. I'm not totally against it because it's exercise and you can get results but i think there are more effective methods and cross fit is more of a culture and social thing for the mentally weak who need motivation from others. All that weird chit they do with unstable one hand get ups with a barbell and stuff like that is completely moronic and ego driven. Most of the appeal is it's new, it's shiny and fresh and look what i can do. 

Sking is srs business I've heard. Don't know much about it other than be cautious and it's a hell of a lot more physical than most people think. 

Archery maybe? Not super athletic but requires upper body strength. Could be fun and develops a strong sensory feel for the perfect shot. Very in the moment calm kinda focus kinda like Yoga where reality sort of evaporates and you're one with your senses from what I've heard. 

Edited by StompGrind

to hell with skiing its all about snowboarding bro

I already snowboard. Talking about x- country... hard to do that on a board.

@stomp, I had exactly the same feelings about cross fit. However, someone at my church has been doing it for a couple of years and made it sound a lot more about good technique and improvement. Seems there's been quite a shift away from the competitive stuff - she's in her late 40s and has got pretty good results.

• Like 1

@stomp, I had exactly the same feelings about cross fit. However, someone at my church has been doing it for a couple of years and made it sound a lot more about good technique and improvement. Seems there's been quite a shift away from the competitive stuff - she's in her late 40s and has got pretty good results.

I think CrossFit would be great for you bro, you and your husband could do it together :).

• Like 3

I think CrossFit would be great for you bro, you and your husband could do it together :).

8/8 use of bro.

• Like 2

put a motor on it!

Crossfit...lol. I think the methodology is wrong and definitely a young dumb mans approach. Doing any kind of power lifting for muscular endurance to failure is just fking stupid and asking for it. All you need for muscular endurance is body weight or lightweights. For strength the classics lifts & pretty heavy is all you need and you don't need to go till you're exhausted and form sucks. Oh look i can do walking handstands and a bunch of muscle ups. < It such a show off training culture. I'm not totally against it because it's exercise and you can get results but i think there are more effective methods and cross fit is more of a culture and social thing for the mentally weak who need motivation from others. All that weird chit they do with unstable one hand get ups with a barbell and stuff like that is completely moronic and ego driven. Most of the appeal is it's new, it's shiny and fresh and look what i can do.

Sking is srs business I've heard. Don't know much about it other than be cautious and it's a hell of a lot more physical than most people think.

Archery maybe? Not super athletic but requires upper body strength. Could be fun and develops a strong sensory feel for the perfect shot. Very in the moment calm kinda focus kinda like Yoga where reality sort of evaporates and you're one with your senses from what I've heard.

Archery is pretty awesome. When you are shooting targets and every so often can just zone in and hit the exact spot you are aiming is very yoga like. It definitely isn't great for cardio but is awesome for your arms, shoulders, and back muscles. It requires a little endurance if you put a longer session in since your arms and shoulders get tired pretty fast.
  • Like 1

Archery is pretty awesome. When you are shooting targets and every so often can just zone in and hit the exact spot you are aiming is very yoga like. It definitely isn't great for cardio but is awesome for your arms, shoulders, and back muscles. It requires a little endurance if you put a longer session in since your arms and shoulders get tired pretty fast.

When JRE had Ted Nugent on it made me interested. There's an archery range i know of just outside of town i just never got around to going yet. 

You may scoff now but just you wait until I can do 45 pull-ups with horrendous form.

Hmm, I think JChristian was into cross fit. Whatever happened to him?

• Like 2

Just got busy with work and quit watching MMA as much. I also think that he realized that his vision of being a mod wasn't going as planned.

• Like 1

Just got busy with work and quit watching MMA as much. I also think that he realized that his vision of being a mod wasn't going as planned.

jchristian was a stand up mod. he will be missed, and forever have a place in our hearts.

I'm swimming a lot. 2-3km over the course of a day. I can't run anymore as knees are shot, I have an arthritic hip which apparently needs replacing and a shoulder that clicks like a metronome.

I'm still doing morning press ups, sit ups and pull ups.

I no longer have a belly.

I'm a big foodie but have embraced the pescatarian thing. Wish I did it years ago, I feel better now than I did ten years ago.  i've also pretty much given up the beer, there's no ale here, just lager type things and it ain't to my liking.

• Like 2

I’m in the process of turning half of my basement into a little gym for my youngest so she can supplement her training. So far I have an elliptical, weight bench with leg press and butterfly attachments, barbell set and dumbbell, and kettlebell with some other free weights. Going to buy a treadmill next. I think I’m going to try to get back into some light working out again. Neurosurgeon will be doing a fusion (TLIF) but not for 6 months to a year. I would like to strengthen my back muscles before surgery as well as be in great overall shape. It should help with bouncing back afterwards. Plus, I think it’s a great way to spend time together with her because there’s enough down there to workout together. Trying to create an inviting space with good lighting and music. She also wants a wall of mirrors in the room.

Edited by *BEG*
  • Like 1

I’m in the process of turning half of my basement into a little gym for my youngest so she can supplement her training. So far I have an elliptical, weight bench with leg press and butterfly attachments, barbell set and dumbbell, and kettlebell with some other free weights. Going to buy a treadmill next. I think I’m going to try to get back into some light working out again. Neurosurgeon will be doing a fusion (TLIF) but not for 6 months to a year. I would like to strengthen my back muscles before surgery as well as be in great overall shape. It should help with bouncing back afterwards. Plus, I think it’s a great way to spend time together with her because there’s enough down there to workout together. Trying to create an inviting space with good lighting and music. She also wants a wall of mirrors in the room.

Throw the butterfly attachments in the trash. Srsly they're worthless and too mechanical. They're not great for your shoulders. 

The rest sounds good. Mirrors is a good idea to constantly check form/posture/positioning. I would do that for my home gym but my "gym" is also my guest room so it would look tacky. I don't own a standing mirror so sometimes i just set-up my camera and record my workout to check my form especially if it's something i haven't done i a while. I definitely get ideas on ways to improve from that and notice things i may not be picking up on when i'm working out that i could pay more attention to. 

Good luck to both of you. 

• Like 1

I haven't done push-ups in weeks, except for occasionally some declines. I just can't stand them anymore. I've been doing dips instead.

I had neglected running for a couple months there, but I've been running quite a bit more frequently these last few weeks. I feel good. I feel fast. I feel pretty bad ****.

I've been keeping up with the pull-ups.

I've been staying on the captains of crush probably better than everything else because I can do that at work. I bought a heavier pair about a month or so ago. I can close them quite easily. I challenge men at the bar and I haven't met anyone who comes even close to closing them, so I guess my grips pretty good.

I've definitely been keeping up with the jujitsu. I really like it.

• Like 1

Here are my vital statistics for August....

Total Miles - 278!! (~450 km)

Elevation gain - 49,487 feet (~15000 M)

Ytd: Mileage 1130 (1800 KM). Elevation gain 114,630 feet (35000 metres)

Come at me Amunera :)

I'm probably not going to push so hard for the rest of the year so maybe you'll catch me back up again.

You ain't touching that elevation gain though!!

• Like 4

August was just starting a bit and triathlon so not much

45.1 km did not record elevation separately :P

Totals: 1171 km

Elevation gain:10942 m

I do not think I'll hit the 2000 km so I'd say you are safe, and elevation more so ;)

• Like 2

Got a good run in. Weather was nice but kinda hot by the time i got done. Finna lift some weights later once i eat and recover then hit the sauna, which i haven't done i a while then shower eat again and finish binge watching some Ozark or throw on JRE if i see someone interesting i missed recently. 

• Like 3

Ran a race today for my company, there were around 15000 people, 5.3 km distance, I have no fast running legs at the moments but managed a decent 22:49, I never thought when I started running I could come close to a 20 mins 5k, but know I know with a couple of extra weeks of training I would have been there. 

my cadence sucked (170) so I know I have a lot more potential for speed now, if I can keep that stride length, and increase my cadence to the point I was before I took my break in the summer I will have legs for shorter distances as well.

For now I will focus on my marathon training, feels good to be running again :)

• Like 3

Another run bites the dust. Did some weights for chest, back and arms, 150 hindu squats & 30 min sauna last night while listening to DDP on JRE.

Just ate chicken shredded tenderloins, butter squash as pasta with guacamole as my sauce with a coke. 

Tonight is yoga, physio ball stuff & some massage chair. I'm smashing Ozark tonight. 

• Like 3

Kilt another run. You fegs better keep up.  :P

Lol i'm pretty sure some lady took a picture of my junk at the track. I wore some dry fitted shorts today, was sweating a lot & things were umm sticking &  rubbing so i could been a little aroused and noticed some lady glancing down when i ran by bouncing a bit more than usual. 

Was doing circuit training today stopping at the benches for calisthenics and on my last lap I'm stretching my legs on a bench that's facing the track kinda like this

b25.jpg

I get up and when i look up she's just standing to the left of my legs about 10 ft away looking at her phone like she's taking a picture and she looks up quick eyes all embarrassed like she got busted kinda smirks and puts her head down right away. Then she looked back up and I kinda gave her one of these as we passed just to make it even more awkward. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Did a bunch of push ups in a car park outside of a filthy motel today, some black guy came out and mumbled to himself. I yelled at him and called him a jigaboo then flexed my 888 tats and he ran off, I was so mad I did a heap more pushups

• Like 2

Did a bunch of push ups in a car park outside of a filthy motel today, some black guy came out and mumbled to himself. I yelled at him and called him a jigaboo then flexed my 888 tats and he ran off, I was so mad I did a heap more pushups

Made me feel so nostalgic.
  • Like 2

Added to the rustled in zero posts or less list!

• Like 2

45506980_303.jpg

Marathon runner Eliud Kipchoge raised the bar for the longest athletic race on Sunday, setting an extraordinary time of 2:01:40 and beating a 2014 world record by compatriot Dennis Kimetto, which was also set in Germany's capital.

Edited by classicboxer
  • Like 1

Cut the grass, weed wackered the ditch & edged which was my "run" workout today. Finna lif sum weights later then do sauna & massage chair. 

Gonna get back into yoga very soon. I might even try looking up some DDP Yoga. I've done the whole Hatha, Bikrim, Kundalini and they're nice but i prefer my yoga to be more flowing similar to Ginastica Natural.

My yoga style has evolved to be uniquely my own. It's kinda like touch butt in the park with calisthenics and joint mobility movements combined with certain classic yoga poses, some solo Jiu-Jitsu movements and & breath work. Idea is yoga for athletes not some yoga for grannies, soccer mom's and hippies. I'm more focused on breath and Vinyasa flow than holding statics poses & or using focused meditation and mantras and all that other namaste, sacred fem, chakra, third eye jazz. My yoga is more a masculine yoga. 

• Like 1

Took my dog for a run. got to the house next door, which is on the corner. Turned left at the corner, and he ran right. Right under my feet. I fell, and sprained my ankle bad. instant swelling, zero weight bearing. Trip to hospital. No breaks but ligaments torn. surgery next week. Fml

• Like 3

Took my dog for a run. got to the house next door, which is on the corner. Turned left at the corner, and he ran right. Right under my feet. I fell, and sprained my ankle bad. instant swelling, zero weight bearing. Trip to hospital. No breaks but ligaments torn. surgery next week. Fml

Get better m8

At least it wasnt a snake or dropbear...

• Like 1

Damm... you've had a bad time with injuries mate.

Get well soon... could be worse... you could be American and expecting a $20k invoice for the surgery.

• Like 2