Sign in to follow this  
ReturnoftheSoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

Took my dog for a run. got to the house next door, which is on the corner. Turned left at the corner, and he ran right. Right under my feet. I fell, and sprained my ankle bad. instant swelling, zero weight bearing. Trip to hospital. No breaks but ligaments torn. surgery next week. Fml

Ouch! Get well, heal up! What kind of dog do you have?

Ouch! Get well, heal up! What kind of dog do you have?

The infamous hellhound known as the Puggle mate. an absolute terror crossbreed of the pug and beagle. Bruno.

JF6CvQs.jpg

Not exactly a running partner, it was so dumb. My fiancee had been whinging all afternoon about her chitty day while mine was excellent,and was on her way home to bring that mood with her. I wasn't having any of that so thought I'd surprise her by taking him to meet her at her bus stop on her way home from work - works every time. So off we went, I looked at my clock and realised she'd already be there so picked up the pace. About thirty metres later I'm on my way down, heard three distinct cracks as I twisted it and knew it was bad before I landed.

• Like 4

The infamous hellhound known as the Puggle mate. an absolute terror crossbreed of the pug and beagle. Bruno.

JF6CvQs.jpg

Not exactly a running partner, it was so dumb. My fiancee had been whinging all afternoon about her chitty day while mine was excellent,and was on her way home to bring that mood with her. I wasn't having any of that so thought I'd surprise her by taking him to meet her at her bus stop on her way home from work - works every time. So off we went, I looked at my clock and realised she'd already be there so picked up the pace. About thirty metres later I'm on my way down, heard three distinct cracks as I twisted it and knew it was bad before I landed.

giphy.gif

Did a run in the rain today. H8 the soaked sticky wet feeling but something about it feels so energizing. Not sure if rain water is ionized or not but it feels great. 

@Oz get better soon that sucks bruh. It's not your dogs fault for you being a klutz :P  so don't be hard on the little guy.

Good luck with surgery if it comes to that. 

LOL @ Bubba's comment about 'Murican medical cost being 20 grand for a simple orthopedic surgery. Our insurance may be a bit steep but quality and wait times are good and we are not paying that full cost even if it is in that neighborhood which generally it's not.

Then again when i broke my hand yrs ago i got a 600 hundred dollar bill for an x-ray, putting a half splint, half cast on it and wrapping it up gauze with the advice that surgery/complications may be too risky and even reduce function. The break was right near the knuckle and it's better to let it heal at the slightly odd angle than risk losing function, possible infection or other complications and it should heal just fine and be stronger which they were correct. So 150 bucks tops for an X-ray and 450 for a half splint half cast a gauze wrap and a pep talk. They also wanted to prescribe me pain killers but i have a high pain threshold and the pain was Advil level if that so i told them to fk off on writing me a script. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Did a run in the rain today. H8 the soaked sticky wet feeling but something about it feels so energizing. Not sure if rain water is ionized or not but it feels great.

@Oz get better soon that sucks bruh. It's not your dogs fault for you being a klutz :P so don't be hard on the little guy.

LOL @ Bubba's comment about 'Murican medical cost being 20 grand for a simple orthopedic surgery. Our insurance may be a bit steep but quality and wait times are good and we are not paying that full cost even if it is in that neighborhood which generally it's not.

Then again when i broke my hand yrs ago i got a 600 hundred dollar bill for an x-ray, putting a half splint, half cast on it and wrapping it up gauze with the advice that surgery/complications may be too risky and even reduce function. The break was right near the knuckle and it's better to let it heal at the slightly odd angle than risk losing function, possible infection or other complications and it should heal just fine and be stronger which they were correct. So 150 bucks tops for an X-ray and 450 for a half splint half cast a gauze wrap and a pep talk. They also wanted to prescribe me pain killers but i have a high pain threshold and the pain was Advil level if that so i told them to fk off on writing me a script.

Yeah... but 0 <<<< 600 mate.

You dudes are being royally ripped off.

• Like 2

@Oz get better soon that sucks bruh. It's not your dogs fault for you being a klutz :P so don't be hard on the little guy.

fook you any one of us would have tripped over in that scenario!
  • Like 2

fook you any one of us would have tripped over in that scenario!

except Denison who would have killed said dog when it was a puppy obvs

Yeah... but 0 <<<< 600 mate.

You dudes are being royally ripped off.

And don't you guys generally pay higher taxes?

You know as well as i you don't have "free" healthcare. It's all evens out. 

I go to the doctor once a year for a check-up btw. For like 10 yrs i didn't go at all except for a few times when i had to. 

Insurance may be ripping me off that's for sure but in an emergency i won't bankrupt me either.  

And don't you guys generally pay higher taxes?

You know as well as i you don't have "free" healthcare. It's all evens out. 

I go to the doctor once a year for a check-up btw. For like 10 yrs i didn't go at all except for a few times when i had to. 

Insurance may be ripping me off that's for sure but in an emergency i won't bankrupt me either.  

Dunno about the taxes, but you can put that aside; the average landed cost of treatment in the US is roughly double the rest of Europe.  So whilst I agree that we are paying a fair bit via taxes, at the same time, we're not paying big pharmaceuticals huge profits.

That's the part where i think you're being ripped off, and consequently it doesn't quite even out.

• Like 1

Dunno about the taxes, but you can put that aside; the average landed cost of treatment in the US is roughly double the rest of Europe.  So whilst I agree that we are paying a fair bit via taxes, at the same time, we're not paying big pharmaceuticals huge profits.

That's the part where i think you're being ripped off, and consequently it doesn't quite even out.

The rest of Europe probably isn't a fair comparison. How many countries in Europe have 350+ million people. 

That's a lot of variation and many sure aren't healthy with the diet and sedentary culture. 

As far as pharma i am paying indirectly for others through insurance no doubt. 

I take blood pressure medication & that's it. Wanna know what my bill is on that? It's 20 bucks for a 3 month supply. 

I'm lucky i don't have some rare medication they jack up the price on. 

The rest of Europe probably isn't a fair comparison. How many countries in Europe have 350+ million people.

That's a lot of variation and many sure aren't healthy with the diet and sedentary culture.

As far as pharma i am paying indirectly for others through insurance no doubt.

I take blood pressure medication & that's it. Wanna know what my bill is on that? It's 20 bucks for a 3 month supply.

I'm lucky i don't have some rare medication they jack up the price on.

Economies of scale should make it even cheaper though?

I get the whole debate is more complex than simply 'free' healthcare v private but when the cost to provide healthcare is around twice per capita that of any other civilised country then it's either huge inefficiency or huge profiteering... and guess who's paying!

Anyway. I will derail this thread no further. It was mainly a light - hearted remark to cheer oz up, not a pop at America's healthcare system.

• Like 1

already 100k on the bag this month, will try for a late comeback around december, watch your back bubba :P

Also Oz tried to convince us that he went out for a run with his dog, when he was actually running cause he was late or whatever...smh. Hope you heal quickly though so you can actually go out for a run :D

• Like 1

already 100k on the bag this month, will try for a late comeback around december, watch your back bubba :P

Also Oz tried to convince us that he went out for a run with his dog, when he was actually running cause he was late or whatever...smh. Hope you heal quickly though so you can actually go out for a run :D

It's not my heel it's my ankle. Thanks though :(

You ain't catching my on elevation, but distance is a possibility.  Not sure I'll run much in November and December as the cold Swedish winters draw in!

Have you entered a marathon did you say? If so, when is it?

December 9, Malaga :)

I'm still unsure whether I will break the 2000 km or not this year, plan was a bit more than that, but that is out of the question now, 2kk would be a nice round number though :D

Edited by amunera
  • Like 2

Kilt my run today. Still going strong. Ordered some puzzle mats and a peanut physio ball for my home gym & they came in today. Will start doing yoga,, physio ball workouts and some jitz mma style drills with that. Pretty pumped to try them out. 

Nice to have 12 24” x 24” threaded puzzle mats on my wood floor now. I have one of those roll out yoga mats so i don't slip but it's not big enough to do some of the stuff i wanted to do safely. 

Also i've been playing around with head stands which is something i always had a little trouble doing but i kinda got used to them with a little practice so it's something i'm finally gonna add to my yoga routines to build some srs core/spine/neck strength+balance. 

• Like 2

Managed to get out of bed at 5:30 am for some weight training today in my home gym. Love getting it done before the day begins. Wish I could do that more often but I'm a terrible sleeper/waker.

• Like 2

Managed to get out of bed at 5:30 am for some weight training today in my home gym. Love getting it done before the day begins. Wish I could do that more often but I'm a terrible sleeper/waker.

Snap!  #Feelsgoodman...

I'm having a two week trial at a gym that I still can't quite work out if it's a total rip off for a gym or an absolue bargain for glorified Personal Training.  Did a Lower Body sesh last night and Upper Body at 6.30AM.

Embarrassingly, there are a couple of 120 lb wimmen lifting the same weights as me there at the moment....turns out running ultras doesn't do much for your 5-rep Bench Press.  Who'd have thought?

• Like 2

Snap!  #Feelsgoodman...

I'm having a two week trial at a gym that I still can't quite work out if it's a total rip off for a gym or an absolue bargain for glorified Personal Training.  Did a Lower Body sesh last night and Upper Body at 6.30AM.

Embarrassingly, there are a couple of 120 lb wimmen lifting the same weights as me there at the moment....turns out running ultras doesn't do much for your 5-rep Bench Press.  Who'd have thought?

Great work! I'm also a fan of the upper/lower split!

I used to feel embarrassed too when I wasn't lifting very much or just get backing into things/being severely weaker. But I changed my mindset to thinking that starting out lower isn't a bad thing. Cause if you think of it, if your muscles are taxed from the weight, your body will adapt and grow. Lower weight just leaves more room to improve gradually over more workouts. Instead of just peaking immediately. The weight and the reps will continue to increase and so will the strength and the muscle.

Whereas the old me would be like "hell no, I refuse to be this weak after lifting x amount last year". /loads up bar....probably misses the next workout from being borderline injured lol.

Edited by Decompoze
  • Like 1

I was doing super low rack deadlifts with 600lbs for sets of 5 yesterday if that counts. ...

:(

Pipe down junior, the big lads are talking here. Get back to me when you're bench - pressing as much as a small Columbian woman.

Training for anything at the moment? Got any more strong - men comps in the pipeline?

• Like 2

Pipe down junior, the big lads are talking here. Get back to me when you're bench - pressing as much as a small Columbian woman.

Training for anything at the moment? Got any more strong - men comps in the pipeline?

Possibly going to do the Vancouver Pro bodybuilding show in July.

• Like 4

Snap! #Feelsgoodman...

I'm having a two week trial at a gym that I still can't quite work out if it's a total rip off for a gym or an absolue bargain for glorified Personal Training. Did a Lower Body sesh last night and Upper Body at 6.30AM.

Embarrassingly, there are a couple of 120 lb wimmen lifting the same weights as me there at the moment....turns out running ultras doesn't do much for your 5-rep Bench Press. Who'd have thought?

is it called F45??

Been getting back into lifting a bit. Experimented with my peanut physioball today. Was fun. I can do some pretty different exercises with it that i couldn't really do with my normal physioball. It will be pretty good for solo jitz/mma & Yoga/Pilates kinda training. 

Gainz wise i lost some of my definition but i'm making some gainz with mass. Still on the skinny side but much less of a bird chest now lol. 

• Like 1

over 200k in september

Totals:

Distance: 1,357.1 km

Elev Gain: 11,781 m

hoping for at least 500k in the next two months :)

Edited by amunera

Got a 7 mile jog in and some jitz mobility, peanut ball exercises & stretching this morning on my new mats. Energy levels are pretty good and i feel strong but i need to get more strict on my diet again cause i'm starting to get a little tew pudgy around my mid section for my liking.

Diet wise I tend fall off sometimes and to eat too many sweets ( soft drinks in particular ) and man let me tell you with age+not the cleanest diet=You cannot out exercise a bad diet at all if you wanna be shredded lol. Used to be able to get away with that but so much not anymore. I'll go from fairly ripped to dad bod in just a few days. Sucks getting old. 

Might start doing stretching or short yoga routines every morning regardless if i get a workout in or not. Normally i don't really do anything till the afternoon and at night but it feels good to loosen up first thing when i get up after sleep to rid myself of any tightness or soreness. < I actually noticed a difference with my cardio today. Don't know if it was just one of those good days or not but it seemed to make a difference. I also wanna see if it stops delayed onset muscle soreness which is an issue for me sometimes if i knock out workouts all week and don't take a day off when i should. 

After listening to Dr. Rhonda Patrick recently i'm gonna make a commitment to do sauna 4-5 times a week where normally i do it about 2x a week. 

A couple of big updates for me on the fitness front.  

Found a really good gym out here.  It's basically like a group version of Personal Training.  You can just use their stuff, but it's really geared around classes of up to 10.  Doing 6 `classes' a week; Upper body strength, Lower body strength, Mobility, Power Endurance, Upper body - handstand and row/ski.  The trainer is an ex-pro rugby league player.  @NoCakeForYaya - he's actually the son of Clive Sullivan; I'm guessing you'll recognise the name at the very least!

Having basically run for 4 years and done fairly minimal stuff at the gym, i'm quite enjoying getting some quicker gainz than usual.  There are some serious fit folk there; was somewhat humbled by some lass doing over 100M more than me on the ski machine in this 2 minute test we have.  Am more motivated to train hard at something other than running than i have been for a long time.  The ski machine is useful because I've entered a 90km x-country ski race in February.  Was feeling okay about it until i watched this video....I have some learning to do!

• Like 4

Smashed a 4 mile run today no walk breaks. Was gonna go yesterday but it rained hard right b4 i was about to go so i just stayed in and did a 20 min yoga session and 3x3 min rds of light shadow boxing instead. Skipped my Monday workout due to lazy which is unusual for me. Little less lean than i'd like to be as of l8. Need to tidy up my diet. < Need to stop saying that & actually fkn do it b4 i sound like Nyte lol. 

Gonna do some MMA style GnP and positional flow drill rds on the peanut ball & my mat tomorrow then do some massage & sauna. Friday i'm doing a quick weight training circuit then chill for the weekend and go do some archery with me lady on Sunday.

• Like 1

Yo anyone successfully got on a keto diet? 

I made it 3 days and had a migraine headache that painkillers couldn't touch. Had some hot chips and within 1/2 hr I felt more energetic then ever and the headache disappeared. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless you are diabetic I see no point in getting on a keto diet...If you do not suffer from any kind of disorder, just eat a bit of everything, do some sports and you'll be more than fine.

Edited by amunera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah...keto diet is one of those rather faddy ones that gets amazing results in a couple of weeks if you're trying to lose weight fast but is not sustainable as part of a healthy lifestyle. 

Going low gi makes much more sense to me. Much more feasible. 

14 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Yeah...keto diet is one of those rather faddy ones that gets amazing results in a couple of weeks if you're trying to lose weight fast but is not sustainable as part of a healthy lifestyle. 

Going low gi makes much more sense to me. Much more feasible. 

I understand more or less what it does, but I think the body does it naturally if you have your hormones in check, and usually sport will do that for you (at least it did it for me). I lost 25 kg without changing much from my diet, (only no more sugar in liquid form) and restarted sport (in form of running). No need for low-fat, low-carbs, keto, atkins, low-sodium or whatever bs :)

• Thanks 1

I did notice a huge difference in reduced puffiness in that 3 days. It was crazy. My pot belly vanished. I was actually starting to look cut for the first time in yrs (only slightly lol) 

There’s definitely some kind of benefits. I think I’m going to experiment with a few different things to see if I can stave off that brutal headache/flu like symptoms. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, amunera said:

I understand more or less what it does, but I think the body does it naturally if you have your hormones in check, and usually sport will do that for you (at least it did it for me). I lost 25 kg without changing much from my diet, (only no more sugar in liquid form) and restarted sport (in form of running). No need for low-fat, low-carbs, keto, atkins, low-sodium or whatever bs :)

Yeah.. those are all fad diets I would say. They trick your body into temporary changes. Eating lower gi food is more of a back to basics thing of eating less sugary crap and less processed foods. 

I think eating right and training right go hand in hand but it's more noticeable the older you get. My main issue is losing weight from running so much! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Enigma_Machine said:

I did notice a huge difference in reduced puffiness in that 3 days. It was crazy. My pot belly vanished. I was actually starting to look cut for the first time in yrs (only slightly lol) 

There’s definitely some kind of benefits. I think I’m going to experiment with a few different things to see if I can stave off that brutal headache/flu like symptoms. 

No offence, but you sound like a teenage girl trying to fit into her prom dress! You can lose puffiness by eating nothing other than toast for breakfast for 3 weeks... but I wouldn't recommend it! Avoid fads... just move more and cut out sugary crap

• Haha 1

Just now, Bubba_Sparks said:

No offence, but you sound like a teenage girl trying to fit into her prom dress! You can lose puffiness by eating nothing other than toast for breakfast for 3 weeks... but I wouldn't recommend it! Avoid fads... just move more and cut out sugary crap

hahaha none taken I’m not looking for fast results, all I’m saying is that something changed and there were some benefits to be had. Now to pinpoint what was working and what wasn’t

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Enigma_Machine said:

Yo anyone successfully got on a keto diet? 

I made it 3 days and had a migraine headache that painkillers couldn't touch. Had some hot chips and within 1/2 hr I felt more energetic then ever and the headache disappeared. 

I tried it for about a week. No headache really but i love my sweets too much and by the end of the week i was craving bad & my energy levels were a bit low but I think if i would have stuck with it that it would have passed. I think Keto is legit but probably not for everyone. I'm still undecided if it's for me or not.

My stomach was flat,  love handles completely gone in just a week. I got pretty ripped, gained some muscle and lost fat in only a week of doing it. The losing fat, gaining muscle at the same time is something i've never been able to do with anything else. I always have cycles of being very lean or gaining mass but gaining some fat too. 

I don't agree with others saying it's a fad diet or you should only do it if you're diabetic. I wouldn't quite put it in the same category as Carnivore, Atkins, Lo-fat, Lo-carbs etc. < Lo-fat is probably the worst thing you can do. There's people on Keto for yrs that had great results. Personally I think Paleo is an excellent basic guideline with some cheating with things like cheese, eggs and the occasional sweets. 

I may go back on Keto & post my progress just to prove the naysayers wrong lol.

I don't think there is a magic bullet for anyone. I think you need to tinker and find out what works best for you. Me for instance i can't do a carb heavy diet. Any Grains, wheat, pasta and too much dairy are my enemy foods. I will feel like chit in no time, i  will get fat, always be hungry and have low energy lvls and it effects my mood and sleep too no matter how much exercise i do i'm not gonna be able to outwork a diet like that but some people can process those foods better than i can. 

I'm a big fan of intermittent fasting & sauna. Both have proven benefits and i've gotten good results from both. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StompGrind said:

I tried it for about a week. No headache really but i love my sweets too much and by the end of the week i was craving bad & my energy levels were a bit low but I think if i would have stuck with it that it would have passed. I think Keto is legit but probably not for everyone. I'm still undecided if it's for me or not.

What kind of food were you eating for that week? 

I'm going hardcore old school with a steak and eggs diet just to see what it's like. After hitting 90kg (200lbs) 2 months ago I decided to go back to the gym. I gave it up a while ago due to a shoulder injury. Jumping on bench I struggled to do 90lbs without pain... embarrassing considering I used to bench 220lbs. It slowly increased to 150lbs in that 2 months. Then after I jumped on this steak and eggs diet 4 days ago my shoulder pain VANISHED and last night my bench had jumped to 165lbs and my bodyweight dropped by nearly 4.5lbs. 

The only problem is my concentration is lacking severely. I just sort of become absent minded. After reading a bit more about it, I'm upping my salt intake and drinking electrolytes after exercise rather then straight water, plus plenty more water throughout the day. These three things apparently can get depleted fast on this diet. To ensure I get enough fat I'm putting extra butter on my steak and also adding an avocado and some cashew nuts just in case. Already taking multivitamins plus a few other vitamin sups. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enigma_Machine said:

What kind of food were you eating for that week? 

I'm going hardcore old school with a steak and eggs diet just to see what it's like. After hitting 90kg (200lbs) 2 months ago I decided to go back to the gym. I gave it up a while ago due to a shoulder injury. Jumping on bench I struggled to do 90lbs without pain... embarrassing considering I used to bench 220lbs. It slowly increased to 150lbs in that 2 months. Then after I jumped on this steak and eggs diet 4 days ago my shoulder pain VANISHED and last night my bench had jumped to 165lbs and my bodyweight dropped by nearly 4.5lbs. 

The only problem is my concentration is lacking severely. I just sort of become absent minded. After reading a bit more about it, I'm upping my salt intake and drinking electrolytes after exercise rather then straight water, plus plenty more water throughout the day. These three things apparently can get depleted fast on this diet. To ensure I get enough fat I'm putting extra butter on my steak and also adding an avocado and some cashew nuts just in case. Already taking multivitamins plus a few other vitamin sups. 

Novel incoming lol. 

I ate these foods and always in combinations. IMO you have to throw away the idea of traditional meals. What do i mean by "traditional" meals. i.e. we are conditioned to think a meal is a bunch of meat with a little side piece, or steak & eggs etc. That's the trap we fall into thinking about diets. You can do that and it's fine but the idea is to be more of a combo snacker except for after a workout. Think more along the lines of caveman hunter gatherer and then you can go a little meat heavy after workouts. This is your campfire gorge so to speak after the big hunt but even then i wouldn't go to crazy with it. It all has to do with energy output and your diet needs to reflect your lifestyle needs.  

I'm not certain as i wasn't totally strict with counting but ideally meals should be about 60% fats, 30% proteins and 10% low GI carbs that are high in fiber. 

Here's a list of foods ( < I didn't eat all of these but these are foods i would have eaten had i stuck with it ) Add or take away what you like but keep your GI down.
Salmon, Tuna Beef, Steak, Chicken, Eggs, Sausage, Churizo
Baby Spinich, Kale, Califlower, Broccoli, Celery, Onions, Garlic, Bell Peppers
Cheese, Butter, Almonds, Pecans, Brazil nuts, Chia Seeds
Cherries, Oranges, Apples, Black berries, Dark chocolate ( < Yep chocolate make sure it's 70% or more cocoa solids and beware of any hidden sugars ) 
Green tea with stevia , Water
Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Himalayan Pink salt and various seasonings again beware of hidden sugar.

Fruits & onions i ate very sparingly and all fruits were fairly low index. The higher in fibre the better and i ate them b4 workouts. I didn't keep strict track so i could have gone over my daily index limit but since i ate only small amounts & always b4 workouts i probably burned most of it right off. 

A lot of the hi-fats foods are loaded with salt especially cheese, butter, nuts, sausage & churizo but i added some himalayan pink to my salads and any meat i cooked so i got plenty which is probably why i didn't get headaches. Headaches to me screams two things. 1. Sugar dependency ( eat a little fruit/veggies in the morning Note: don't blend you want slow absorption so your glucose levels don't spike ) 2. Dehydration. < You said you drank plenty water and had a lot of salt so you're probably good there. 

Me i fasted every other morning which is something i normally do anyway because my stomach doesn't like eating when i wake up.
When i did eat in the morning it was a few spoonfuls of coconut oil, some nuts, few pieces of fruit  or maybe a small salad with olive oil, Himalayan salt, nuts and some boiled eggs. < Notice the mixture of foods theme here...lot of fats, some protein and very little carbs. 

I did sauna at night and made sure i had bunch of water during the day, after workouts but especially after sauna. The main thing is eating mostly fat, moderate protein, make sure you get your minerals ( himalayan pink imo is one of the best ) drink plenty water and the carbs you do eat get it from green leafy veggies, some fruits and make sure the glycemic index is low and fiber count high because they will offset each other a bit and keep your net index down. 

That and staying consistent with workouts and they don't even have to be that hard or that long. In fact a good warm-up, moderate intensity and shorter duration with maybe a little higher intensity for a short period then moderate intensity and cooling down is probably better and will aid in recovery. I did two a day workouts the whole week or so. A run in the afternoon and some sort of brief full body circuit strength training routine & then sauna at night and was fine. I h8 working out in the morning so i broke mine up in the later half of the day with a few hrs break between workouts and when i did most of my eating as well. 

Issues i had with the diet is after a week my body started REALLY craving the sugar ( didn't stick with it long enough to get over it ) and my energy levels dropped off a little but not too bad because of the combinations of foods and snacking style which takes less energy to digest. The main reason i quit is because fk i love my soft drinks but really it was more that it's not exactly a cheap way to eat and i'm a bit of a cheapskate. 

I did get shocking results though with fitness and how my body looked. By the end of that about a week and a few days give or take i was more ripped than i was since Dec. of last yr b4 i injured my back which was the best shape i'd ever been in b4 as far as a lot of muscle mass and still being lean.   

If you want to get all scientific about it you could weight grams and calorie count with apps and such. I'm too lazy for dat chit and kinda just eyed it used common sense and did quick look-ups when i wasn't that certain i was in range but i didn't keep strict track of every single thing. I just followed the basic plan i just laid out here. 

I hope that answers your questions. I stand by what i said about it not being a "fad" like Atkins etc. Not saying it's the "ultimate" end all be all for everyone but it is a good guideline to follow much like Paleo and if you go over your GI a little for the day so what i don't think it's that big of a deal and you probably should sometimes. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StompGrind said:

I hope that answers your questions.

No, could you please elaborate? 

😂I kid, I kid, Thanks for the write up man, I might grab some himalayan pink salt tomorrow. The diet I'm currently on is fairly similar to the one you were doing except I'm not eating any fruit besides avocado. I think I might keep some more varied fruits handy in case I get that brutal headache again, just to get some kind of carbohydrate going.

Also, honestly at this point how much I eat is dictated by whether my weight isn't going down = eat a little less, and whether my strength is going down = eat a little more

• Like 1

quick update and besides the hot chips the other night I've been on the keto diet for 5 days now and there is a huge difference in energy levels particularly at night when I used to feel badly fatigued and lethargic, now I'm fully coherent, alert and present like my mental stamina is 100x improved.  

Also, my shoulder injury... shoulder press this morning I was doing 50lb dumbbells which I haven't done for a long time, there must have been some kind of inflammation that was holding me back that the new diet has helped reduce. I actually feel like I can start making good progress on all my lifts. 

I challenge anyone to try out a keto diet just for a week and see if it helps out because it sure seems to be working for me! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Enigma_Machine said:

now I'm fully coherent

We'll be the judge of that.

Sounds good though mate.  What were you eating beforehand?  Keep us posted on how it goes.  The pro's reckon diet is 75%, exercise only 25% so getting it right can make a big difference. 

Today was a day of mixed emotions.  Been doing a lot more weights than I have for years because this pesky ski race is a lot more upper body than running is.  Pulled on a shirt this morning I've had for a couple of years and it tore around the lats area.  Guess all those pull-ups are having an effect.

Then at this morning's session I was paired up with this big lad doing suomo deadlifts....we were having to take off so much between his set and mine that I changed training partners....to a 100lb Italian girl....who had a kid 7 months ago...and was deadlifting the same as me :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was recently listening to Firas and he recommended a book called "Becoming a Supple Leopard". I saw this guy on Rogan's podcast b4 i think and kinda didn't think much of him but after watching this i was impressed with his ideas especially in regard to posture and the principles he laid out here which i'm very much into from my years of Jitz, Naudi Aguilar who is another person that turned me on to being OCD about the importance of postural positioning for structural integrity and improve without  injury.  

If you can make it past his super dry humor this is well worth a watch and may change the way you view some things. 

Smashed my run/walk today. Usual 5 mile walk-3 mile run-5 mile walk back. Weather was cool enough that i had to wear sweats. Was still sweating balls half way through. 

Got my copy of the book above i mentioned "Becoming a Supple Leopard." Read it a bit yesterday but i'm finna dive deep into reading it, digesting the material and adding some of his stuff to my routines. The mobility exercises he has to increase ROM are worth the price of the book alone. I tried a few for my hips and shoulders and noticed a difference in ROM right away. 

Got to go do Archery with the new GF Sunday briefly but it started raining before we really got started smh. Oh well have to do that another time. 

• Like 2

Just about another week down on the keto diet + intermittent fasting which makes 10 days total. I kind of feel on edge all the time like a hungry dog. Good news is that I've lost 5kgs since I started (the majority was probably a lot of puffy water weight lost in the first day or two) and somehow all my lifts have been going up at the gym. Something odd I've noticed is cracking and popping joints all feel much better and quieter. I used to crack my neck like agent smith to get people's reactions but now I can barely manage little pops.... Yeah ok I'm getting off this diet 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

^^ WAR Enigma

Went HAM on strength training yesterday evening after my run. Pretty sore today will probably be even worse tomorrow but i'm addicted to improvement and love dis chit lol.

Did a calisthenics warm-up, full body dumbbell circuit, dips on my walker, resistance band pulls,  jitz transition, isometric position squeezes & some GnP type drills on my peanut ball. Finished up with physio ball planking, mobility type stretching and then static stretching on my puzzle mats. 

Was listening to this on repeat  the whole workout. Bit like a mantra. Pumps me up and inspires. 

"When you decide i'm going to do it regardless of the opposition, regardless of the difficulties i'm going to make this happen because it's important to me. I'm saying the universe will yield & life will never be the same" -  Les Brown

Such a beautiful quote and....^^ This is why i Grind, this is why i Grind, this is why i grind,  this is why i HUSTLE!!!

Failure & bad situations that force you to overcome and grow? #Good

Edited by StompGrind
  • Thanks 1

Think I'm getting kinda addicted to training again. The gym I'm at has a load of stuff you can book on an app. Booked in for 7 next week... can't wait for the first one on Monday morning at 6.30 AM.

running is down to twice a week now. I Think you might catch me amunera. We'll have to compare notes at the end of October. 

• Like 3

^^ Pretty crazy. I like extreme stuff like this. Something very ANIMAL about it and i do love that. There's a reason why i don't lift heavy iron anymore ( mind tew stronk for body would be in hospital eventually lol ) and i stick to more of a cross fit cross training kinda methodology minus the heavy barbell training or going until so fatigued that form is chit. i.e. my approach is basically #CrossfitSafe. This guys philosophy is very much my own approach. i.e. variety, baby steps & periodization rather than trying to meathead my way through things so i'll take my time and gainz will come slower but my body is gonna thank me later. 

I don't even know what to say about this one except Shaw is insane. Impressive AF but i wonder if he's gonna be able to function after he retires & or not have a heart attack. There was one video with him doing like 16,000 calories a day. I think my liver would shut down if i did half of that lol

Anyway. Feeling good today. Much less sore than i thought i'd be. Active recovery day for me. Gonna do a bit of Yoga later and try out some more supple leopard mobility stuff. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Did a three mile run in the rain. Wasn't tew bad just drizzling. Felt great and strong enough to finish up with 3x sprints! Although didn't feel taxed at all and recovered fast. 

Fasted all day so Meatloaf with oatmeal, onions and tomato paste glaze is in teh oven. Can't wait to dig in. 

30586738077_e76c382a15_b.jpg

• Like 1