Sign in to follow this  
ReturnoftheSoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

October has come to an end and with it my tally of the millage:

October: 223.5 km

Totals 2018:

Distance: 1566 km

Elev Gain: 12,647 m

I'm still unsure how my training will translate to my marathon, my goal pace of 5 min/km seems still unsustainable for 42 km (for a 3:30 marathon) my b goal is 3:45 which I can see myself pull off on a good day, and my c-goal is 3:59:59 which I am pretty confident I can reach even on a bad day.

less than 6 weeks to go for my marathon :) 

• Like 2

Won a free month membership to Crossfit in a silent auction at a Relay for Life event... still paid tew much. 

• Like 2

Have been a few times this week and anybody that pays $100 a month for this is getting fleeced. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TUF said:

Have been a few times this week and anybody that pays $100 a month for this is getting fleeced. 

What's the problem with it? Or is there some 100lb chick intimidating you with her kipping pull ups? 

Another major fire in Northern California, about 100 miles from where I live, but the smoke is terrible.  Waiting until the end of the year to post my results, but I'm nowhere near my goals!

17 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

What's the problem with it? Or is there some 100lb chick intimidating you with her kipping pull ups? 

There are 2 kinds of people that go. Gym bros that just want to say they do Crossfit and 100 lb moms that treat it more as a social gathering, and both groups are required to complete the same workout. It's decent cardio but I guess for $100 a month, I was looking to become a little more blacksplosive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2018 at 7:33 AM, classicboxer said:

Another major fire in Northern California, about 100 miles from where I live, but the smoke is terrible.  Waiting until the end of the year to post my results, but I'm nowhere near my goals!

Went for a ride this morning, 25 degrees F, -4C, and lots of smoke in the air. Turned around after 5 miles, 10 miles total.20181111_073028.jpg

• Like 1

What do you guys take for a multi vitamin. Looking for something with vitamin D, fishoil, zinc, magnesium. Also, what for whey and creatine.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TUF said:

What do you guys take for a multi vitamin. Looking for something with vitamin D, fishoil, zinc, magnesium. Also, what for whey and creatine.

I take GNC Sport for multi vitamin (link so you can check the nutritional value). I also take GNC's triple strength fish oil brand. 

For protein I don't have any brand loyalty and basically get whatever is on sale and is an isolate with bcaa's. 

For creatine I end up with that Creakong mutant stuff more times than not.

If I'm getting lots of water and training right, I do find I feel better with those multi vitamins and fish oil (more energy in the morning, less groggy). The creatine for sure I've gotten good results with. Can't give a good opinion on the proteins I've tried cause I'm generally all over the map. There have been some that don't mix well but I generally just choke it down.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Decompoze said:

I take GNC Sport for multi vitamin (link so you can check the nutritional value). I also take GNC's triple strength fish oil brand. 

For protein I don't have any brand loyalty and basically get whatever is on sale and is an isolate with bcaa's. 

For creatine I end up with that Creakong mutant stuff more times than not.

If I'm getting lots of water and training right, I do find I feel better with those multi vitamins and fish oil (more energy in the morning, less groggy). The creatine for sure I've gotten good results with. Can't give a good opinion on the proteins I've tried cause I'm generally all over the map. There have been some that don't mix well but I generally just choke it down.

Thanks. Will do some digging. In my 30s and have never taken any kind of multi vitamin. Taking a cheap whey shake drink almost everyday but haven't noticed much difference. My dad use to pop 15+ vitamins a day and I'm not really sure that's in the budget but any and all advice is welcome. Thanks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TUF said:

Thanks. Will do some digging. In my 30s and have never taken any kind of multi vitamin. Taking a cheap whey shake drink almost everyday but haven't noticed much difference. My dad use to pop 15+ vitamins a day and I'm not really sure that's in the budget but any and all advice is welcome. Thanks. 

No problem. I think the results you get from multi vitamins will be more beneficial if you are still getting vitamins and minerals from whole foods as well. That's just from my own experience with no science to back it up. 

5 minutes ago, Decompoze said:

No problem. I think the results you get from multi vitamins will be more beneficial if you are still getting vitamins and minerals from whole foods as well. That's just from my own experience with no science to back it up. 

Yea food is important I guess if you're into that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TUF said:

I usually don't take a multivitamin. Unless i'm really pushing it with exercise and feel like i'm just not getting enough from my diet i don't find they really do anything or at least i don't notice a difference between when i take them and when i don't. I really don't think pill form vitamins absorb all that well. I think it's more placebo than anything else. 

Look any basic @ss vitamin pill even plain old centrum has everything you asked for even in quite large doses supposedly but does it work? Fk if i know but i doubt it's even worth it.

Are there much better sources? You bet your @ss there are. It's called wholesome food LOL not some BS they isolated in a lab that your body is like WTF is dis BS.

Want fish oil? duh eat FISH! Tuna & smoked samon ( i use a brand called bumblebee that's awesome ) < I h8 fish taste but that brand is good and has a bunch of oil. 

Want Vitamin D? ^^ Fish wins again  as well as cheese, egg yolks, mushrooms, spinach, kale, oranges and getting more sun. 

Want Zinc/Mag? Again fish is a good source as are some nuts like cashews and almonds as well as Himalayan pink salt, spinach, kale and avocado. If you really want some extra take an epson salt bath which also helps with muscle soreness. You probably won't need it you're eating all the things i mentioned along with red meat. 

I eat plenty of tuna, smoked salmon, cheese, eggs, kale/spinach, mixed nuts, oranges, avacado, chia seeds and Himalayan pink salt ( < 84 trace minerals bro ) so that's pretty much everything you need that you mentioned and then some. Those foods are the base of my diet along with chicken & red meat. It's almost always better to get your vits from food than a fkn pill which aren't any where near as effective imo. 

For whey+creatine i'm currently taking a product i picked up from Walmart called Six Star which also has BCAA. It's a good cheap product for muscle building especially for recovery but it isn't the best tasting i'm not gonna lie but you may like it. That's the only thing bad i have to say about it. I was using one that tasted better but it didn't have creatine nor the BCAA. 

I'd probably get some hemp protein if you're all about the taste but a lot of them i looked at are not exactly cheap and i'm pretty sure you're as jew as i am lol. 

May that diet above ain't your cup of tea but srsly consider adding some of those foods i mentioned over a multi-vit. They're all really good for you, fill you easily & will go much further than a stupid vitamin pill.  

Still killing it with 2 a day workouts jog/walk then Dumbell/kettlebell/physioball/resistance bands, calisthenics circuits or yoga later at night + intermittent fasting & sauna.

Not quite as ripped as i was a month ago when i was more focused on running but i'm up to 185 and still pretty lean.  

Kinda been forgetting to take my blood pressure medication lately which i usually take in the evening but when I've checked it it's been great. in the 120/80 range. My pulse as well which usually ran kinda high around 80-90 is about 55-65 when i wake up now and around 75 during the day. 

Don't wanna jump the gun but i think my exercise routine + fasting may have cured my moderately high blood pressure. If i stop drinking soda & quit smoking entirely i may not even need it anymore. 

On 11/1/2018 at 4:56 PM, amunera said:

October has come to an end and with it my tally of the millage:

October: 223.5 km

Totals 2018:

Distance: 1566 km

Elev Gain: 12,647 m

I'm still unsure how my training will translate to my marathon, my goal pace of 5 min/km seems still unsustainable for 42 km (for a 3:30 marathon) my b goal is 3:45 which I can see myself pull off on a good day, and my c-goal is 3:59:59 which I am pretty confident I can reach even on a bad day.

less than 6 weeks to go for my marathon :) 

Been slacking on this thread lately and missed this. How long now mate? I'll post my stats I  a couple of days and see if you've caught up!

You must be tapering by now for the race. Feeling good? 

5 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Been slacking on this thread lately and missed this. How long now mate? I'll post my stats I  a couple of days and see if you've caught up!

You must be tapering by now for the race. Feeling good? 

yeah tapering right now, race is next Sunday (the 9th), I have not felt that great this training block, but it has been mostly mentally, physically I am pooped like I should, but mentally I have struggled way more. 

I made the decision to go all in in the race, I trained for a best scenario of 3:30 and I'll go for it, I won't have any doubts after the race, this is more a reflection of my struggles with my personal life more than racing, but I hope the race will be cathartic in some way :) 

Stats for November:

Distance: 295.4 km

Totals 2018:

Distance: 1,876.0 km

Elev Gain: 13,458 m

• Like 1

Also this is the most I have done in a month in both distance and time on feet. FOr my earlier training block, I was feeling way fitter physically, I was leaner and felt faster, but my achilles heel was on fire and felt like it would tear apart any other day. 

Now I am not as lean, also do not feel on as good shape as I was back then but it is all relative, I have hit my speed workouts with less difficulty and at higher paces, but weirdly enough, I have been slower on my longer runs, but also with a way lower heart rate, so maybe I am more run specific fit. I will see come race day. Also I just had an almost 300 km month (granted at a lower speed than training for a fast 10k) and have barely a couple of niggles in my knee, but nothing compared to how bad it was my achilles heel back then.

• Thanks 1

sounds like you've prepared really well mate. Will be awesome if you hit that 3:30 mark... but still awesome if you finish the thing and enjoy it. 

Have you thought much about in race tactics... such as what to do when your 'crashing '... how to manage pace, stuff like that? 

You might get the urge to run too much this week but be really really strict. You've done your training and all you need this week are a couple of short runs to keep the legs ticking over. 

It's gonna be great... and dangerous crossing that finish line 😁

• Like 1

I have no issues with following the plan, I understand it so I'll be fine :)  

I have trained my nutrition, I will consume a gel every 10 k, and alternate water and isotonic drink at aid station. Regarding race tactics I am aiming for even splits, course is flat, will have to manage pace at the beginning to not go out to fast with all the people around and the adrenaline. I hope the first 14k feel easy if not I'll be in trouble.

Mentally I will divide the marathon in 3 parts, first 14k were the average distance of my runs this training block, so my body should be used to that distance just fine. Second 13k will be where I will have to fight the most to stay on pace, last 15k I will ask myself: can you run a 10k in 50 mins (I absolutely can), and last 5k I will ask myself the same question (in 20 mins).

I have lost a bit of my running mojo, it may be the winter, it may be that I have attached too much of my identity to being a runner to avoid thinking about other stuff, I will race the marathon, see if I can hit 2000k of running this year and will take a couple of weeks of (probably travel to Vietnam). 

Plan for next year is to run more half-marathons, I think marathon is just too tricky because you feel you should run fast the whole time, and it is just too long, I think in ultras (specially trails) you can mix in some walking/power hiking and mix it up a little bit both physically and mentally. 

Also next year I want to get fitter, this year my body has really taken a beating and tbh I have not really been as disciplined with my strength training as I should, so basically I will pay my body back next year and recover for the beating I took (while running more healthy distances :P  )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like it's all under control mate. All the very best. 

I agree btw that marathons are tough; there's that feeling you've got to keep running fast the whole way. I find them tougher than ultras in many ways. Marathons always feel a bit relentless. 

Gonna have to check my mileage... barely running at the moment so you're closing in fast!

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, amunera said:

Stats for November:

Distance: 295.4 km

Totals 2018:

Distance: 1,876.0 km

Elev Gain: 13,458 m

Lol...we have had different focuses in November methinks!  I ran 29 miles (47 km).

The yearly "race" is getting close however.  My totals for 2018 are as follows:-

Distance: 1268 miles (2030 km)

Elevation gain: 120,755 feet (about 40,000 M).

Well okay, you ain't going to catch me on elevation.  But if you run another 300km in December there's a good chance you'll catch me.  I'm only running once a week at the moment.

My main focus at the moment is training for the Vasalopet, a 90km x-country run in Sweden in February.  There's kind of a nice symmetry; I ran an ultra with a Swedish mate in the summer called the Race to the Kings.  He'd never run more than a HM before, but at the age of 53 did his first ultra, and did it well.  Part of the deal to get him to run his first UM was that I would "do" the Vasaloppet.  All he told me at the time was that Vasa was a King, and loppet meant race.  So he did Race to the Kings with me and i did the King Vasa Race with him.  Only after we'd shook on it did he reveal that King Vasa had famously skied 90km to escape the Norwegian army and bring his own troops back and kick their asses.

So far I've only trained on a ski-erg machine.  It's basically a ski version of a rower.  First time i went on it I managed about 30 seconds before i was spent.  SLowly the technique and strength has come though.  6 weeks ago i did a 500m time trial and managed a bang average 2:02.  This week i did 6 x 500m with a 2 minute rest and did each one sub 2 minutes (the last one was 1:52.  Have done 10k without stopping, so strength wise, i feel good.  Only problem is I've still not put so much as a ski on the snow.  I'm in the far north of SWeden this week to do just that...except there isn't enough snow, so we went ice skating down a river instead.  That was a lot of fun, but I still basically have no idea how to x-country ski.  Need it to snow in Stockholm, and soon.

Anyway, enjoying doing a lot more strength-training than i did in my UM days; still have a UM itch to scratch though.....dangerous!

• Like 2

You won the "race" I won't go over 2000 km most likely, was my pleasure having you to compare mileage with :)

Good luck with your training and race!! Never done x-country, only downhill, but skiing is always a lot of fun and the scenery has something about it that relaxes me (except when I'm freezing on the freaking lifts)

I hope next year I learn to enjoy strength training, my body definitely needs it. 

• Thanks 1

Been a very turbulent past few months for me, my personal life has changed dramatically since i last posted here. The two things that have remained consistent are my work and my running. The running has kept me sane. Its kinda hard for me to believe I've only been doing it since easter, 29th of March to be exact. Can't imagine life without it now. 

Anyway, still setting new personal bests on a regular basis which is no surprise considering the relatively short period of time since I started getting out there. 

1km is currently at 4m 22s. Pretty sure I could get this under 4 minutes at any time, I've never actually set out to run a 1km PB. I almost never run less than 5k so this time is is my fastest kilometre inside of a 5k run.

5km is 23m 46s. 

10km is 48m 36s. 

I tried and failed to get a sub fifty 10k quite a few times before I managed it and so really felt fantastic when it finally came. 

Not breaking any records but seeing my pace gradually improve. Running around four times a week and maintaining a healthy enthusiasm for it. Looking forward to the new year to start my first full year of running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, amunera said:

3:30:27 marathon b1tches!!!

Now eating my bodyweight in Spanish food.

Awesome time mate. Really good work. Not bad for a guy who doubted he could do a sub - 30 minute 5k a couple of years ago!!

Enjoy the recovery process! If you get time post a bit more of a race report sometime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amunera said:

3:30:27 marathon b1tches!!!

Now eating my bodyweight in Spanish food.

Fantastic! My first marathon was something like 3:39! However, the first 20 miles were around 2:20, then I almost died!

1 hour ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Awesome time mate. Really good work. Not bad for a guy who doubted he could do a sub - 30 minute 5k a couple of years ago!!

Enjoy the recovery process! If you get time post a bit more of a race report sometime. 

Yes, give us a report on the race!

Congrats on the marathon @amunera

Been slacking/busy lately taking off from fitness with the holidays, all this cancer business with my mom's & still trying to have some kind of social life with my GF.  

Lifted yesterday for the first time in about a week and haven't went for a run in about two. Not as jacked but at least i didn't gain much weight or get fat lol. Diet wise i'm still on fasting through the day and kinda just eating what i want at night. Been pounding coffee which kinda suppressed my appetite a bit. 

Felt good working out again but i'm a little in that sore phase & my cardio stinks right now. Went for a short 2 mile run this morning and lifted some weights/calisthenics/band circuit for like 20 min when i got back then stretched for 10 min. 

I'm gonna start switching it up doing lifting in the morning when T levels are at their highest instead of at night after running in the evening. Think i'll get better gains that way recovery wise. Gonna pull my cardio back to shorter more fast paced runs doing it 3 days a week instead of weekday 5 mile runs. Tighten up the diet and do strength training 4-5 times a week and maybe yoga mobility stuff once or twice a week. That's kinda my basic plan we'll see how that goes. 

WAR 2019!!!

Don't really have any particular fitness goals at this time but i'm definitely looking to strength train more & get semi yoked.  I'm 180-ish right now with probably 15-18 % body fat so i'm not that far off from where i'd like to be at about 190 lbs with 8-10 % body fat b4 my birthday in June when i turn the big 40.  Sounds crazy even saying it. HOLY FK i'm turning 40!

I'm going to go ahead and make an exception on this last day of 2018 and post. 

My main objective was to get in shape again, which I did.   I am a lot stronger today than I was a year ago. I feel great and I look great.  

Being physically fit again is helping other areas of my life.  I am to be promoted to Hotel Manager where I have been  tending bar all this year and I owe a lot of that to the discipline that comes with a regular training.  I have  been holding down a second job for a while now, and they have come to rely on me…and my bank account is growing.  My credit score is back to an acceptable level and I am shopping for a house, a fixer-upper that I can make a few dollars on.  I am back on track in other private areas.

In 2018 I fixed my life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bought a pull up bar around new yrs. Kinda been doing anywhere from 50 to 100 pull-ups a day. Not all at once cause i suck at them but i'm getting better. I usually do 10-15 reps just whenever several times while at home. 

Jogged twice a week the last two weeks. Haven't been lifting much. A set or two here and there while watching podcast but not a full workout. Same with stability ball, bands in the same way just a set or two here and there. Did yoga threef times this yr for about 20-30 min. No sauna or chair massage. Note to self need to get back on that when i pick things back up. 

Not exactly making gainz getting stronger in the mass or muscular endurance department but i feel pretty strong and i'm not sore or have joint stiffness when i wake. 

Gonna pick it up in the coming months. Holidays i took off a lot and I've been pretty busy/distracted with other things. Kinda just been doing maintenance and taking it slow getting back into it.  I'm 185-188 lbs right now. Not really fatter but not as nearly as ripped & fit as i was in Nov early Dec. Cardio dropped quick especially with my smoking with I've been doing more of. 

We are halfway into the first month of 2019. It's time for someone to start the new thread.   I nominate either NoCake or Stompgrind.  It doesn't matter who; whoever gets to it first, I guess.  

Consider me gone with the wind.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ReturnoftheSoup said:

We are halfway into the first month of 2019. It's time for someone to start the new thread.   I nominate either NoCake or Stompgrind.  It doesn't matter who; whoever gets to it first, I guess.  

I figured it didn't matter if we just used this one. I know it's tradition and all but IDK why we need to start a new one each yr. 

Seems like it would be better to just have one fitness thread. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StompGrind said:

I figured it didn't matter if we just used this one. I know it's tradition and all but IDK why we need to start a new one each yr. 

Seems like it would be better to just have one fitness thread. 

It's tradition mate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReturnoftheSoup said:

holy chit boys he's back.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:32 PM, Bubba_Sparks said:

Never doubted it for a moment....

Thanks for starting this Soup.  Will you copy the goals into OP? Nice to have a record, but not a must have.

I'm gonna kick it off.  I've decided not to escalate things further with my running this year.  I think I'll do a 100 mile run sometime again in the future, but not in 2018.  As I mentioned at the close of the last thread, I also got pretty un-fit in the last four months of the year as a kind of consequence.

Main thing for me this year is to complete the John Muir Trail (JMT)  in August; a 240 mile hike through the Sierra Nevadas in California.  All training is geared towards that.  I'll be running a bit less, hiking a bit more, and doing bodyweight training a lot more.  I've also really missed playing soccer this past couple of years, so I'm going to come out of retirement.  Final thing; I want to avoid tailing off badly again, so here are my official goals:-

1. Complete JMT hike

2. Run a <2 hour HM again (it's been a while....)

3. Complete 2x 50+ mile ultras, one in a PB time

4. Get back to my fighting weight of 160 lbs @ 10% body fat (currently sitting at a record fat level of 180 lbs @ 17%)

5. Log 1500 miles of running this year.  That was my first and hardest goal in the CB 2015 thread and it was a great way of keeping going through the year

Plan is to run thrice a week, go to the gym thrice, hike on a Sunday and play soccer a couple of times a week.  Really going to clean things up with my nutrition as well; got really sloppy in the run up to Christmas.

Started 2018 with a bang.  Ran 20 miles today.  Good luck everyone!

Always good to look back.  My goals were pretty much in order.  Pleased to say that I hit the first one.  One of the greatest experiences of my life.  Didn't even enter a Half Marathon, so number 2 was a fail.  I ran a 50 mile and a 56 mile ultra, one of which was a PB.  Lol, after the JMT (a 250 mile hike), my weight dropped to 157 lbs and 9.2% body fat, but that was emaciation rather than health.  And on number 5 I fell short; ran 1350 miles, although clocked a record (for me) elevation gain of 122000 feet.

Overall, I finished 2018 stronger, fitter and leaner than I started it.  That's got to be a good thing i guess.

I think this thread concept was kicked off by CB back in 2015, or maybe even earlier.  I heard from the man himself today, and he made a compelling case for a 2019 thread, instead of continuing this one.  So in his honour, and to make us all think about our fitness goals for 2019, I've kicked it off.  Let's get stuck in.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 10:59 AM, amunera said:

My goals:

- Average 40km of running per week: came close, my non running rut in July (0 km) killed it for me, totaled 1965 km so 120 km short.

- 10k under 50 mins (May): ran 44:19

- half marathon under 2 hours (Summer) ran 1:45:07

- finish a marathon (End of the year) ran 3:30:27

- stay at my current weight (around 80kg) and increase my strength Dropped to 74kg during my 10k training, got up to 78 after not running for a while and stayed there during marathon training. Increased strength but not as much as I would have liked

- keep improving my flexibility. Slowly but surely Did not happen, as usual.

• Like 2