Sign in to follow this  
ReturnoftheSoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

gonna take a quick nap before i go on a 15m run

Edited by -idyb-

by 15m i actually mean 15 meters,  and by run it will probably be more of a casual walk to the car

I don't know...my former PT (which I still try to abide by his teachings as much as possible), brought this to my attention. I guess it's all individualistic...but if you have an inherent craving say, for sweets, then take one day to indulge, then go back to the diet.

I've done an Atkins diet before without this philosophy...but to be honest, a complete deprivation of carbs, for me, is so unrealistic that it sends me on an uncontrollable binge of carbs that completely destroys any gains I have made. So, he encourages me to manage the carb cravings with a cheat day.

• Like 3

Do you guys take days off or rest days? Is there any validity to that?

Lately since i hurt my back every day is a rest day. It sucks lol I have been doing a warm-up ROM joint mobility exercises then a little gentle stretching and yesterday i did some very light stuff on a stability ball. Basically rocking around on the ball like a back massage laying on it belly down and stretching out my back, and some light mobility moves for my hips/legs. 

Normally i take a rest day once a week but it's usually active like at the least i'll still go for a walk, rake my yard, clean up around the house or something like that. I stay consistent or else it's to easy to get lazy and end up taking more rest days then need if i don't. I don't allow that habit to happen. I stay on the grind.  

I need that one rest day sometimes so i don't burn out especially by mid week or at the end of the week depending on how i feel. Just really keen on listening to my body but also not giving in when it tells me to be a wimp. lol

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 2

I don't know...my former PT (which I still try to abide by his teachings as much as possible), brought this to my attention. I guess it's all individualistic...but if you have an inherent craving say, for sweets, then take one day to indulge, then go back to the diet.

I've done an Atkins diet before without this philosophy...but to be honest, a complete deprivation of carbs, for me, is so unrealistic that it sends me on an uncontrollable binge of carbs that completely destroys any gains I have made. So, he encourages me to manage the carb cravings with a cheat day.

I guess fundamentally i don't agree with "dieting" as such i.e short term fixes.  I think they tend to be geared towards younger people and don't really instill good, healthy habits.  I guess if you need to lose "x" lbs in a certain time it's all well and good, but for overall health it's better to get into a habit of eating healthy food and just avoiding all the crappy sugary stuff.  Having a cheat day every week seems contrary to that.  

• Like 7

I guess fundamentally i don't agree with "dieting" as such i.e short term fixes.  I think they tend to be geared towards younger people and don't really instill good, healthy habits.  I guess if you need to lose "x" lbs in a certain time it's all well and good, but for overall health it's better to get into a habit of eating healthy food and just avoiding all the crappy sugary stuff.  Having a cheat day every week seems contrary to that.  

A cheat day doesn't work for me. I cheat several times a weak i.e i might have A cookie, A soft drink, A small serving of ice cream, A hamburger, A few slices of Pizza but i don't eat like that the majority of the time and i NEVER EVER binge. 

If i did a cheat day what would end up happening is i'd get so sick of the same healthy stuff from going totally clean all week then i'd binge that day then be all screwed up craving junk for a few days eating like crap then have to get back on track. 

So for me what works is i do more like a slow drip of cheats i just don't do it everyday and my ratio of lean healthy stuff protein good fats and complex carbs vs. simple carbs i crave is limited like 10/1

The only thing i really stay away from is fast food and processed food but on rare occasion i'll eat that too. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

I guess fundamentally i don't agree with "dieting" as such i.e short term fixes. I think they tend to be geared towards younger people and don't really instill good, healthy habits. I guess if you need to lose "x" lbs in a certain time it's all well and good, but for overall health it's better to get into a habit of eating healthy food and just avoiding all the crappy sugary stuff. Having a cheat day every week seems contrary to that.

I think you are absolutely correct. But I think my PT knew of my weaknesses and he corporated this philosophy into my plan. I'm not ashamed to say that I know my weaknesses...and if I don't mitigate them up front...I'm a dead man.

The BEST thing I can say about my PT, even amongst all my strength gains, is he steered me away from sweets and more to veggies and lean protein for diet. Including no alcohol. That's why he included the cheat day...I was eating so horribly when I started with him. Now, sweets are such a small part of my diet...but if I fall off the horse, it's like heroine to me. Such a debilitating substance for me. Uncontrolled...I'm a dead man.

He moved away physically a couple of years ago...but I see him in person every once in a while. It's hard to lie about your weight or condition in front of somebody.

It's a good check on my progress.

Edited by Joby
  • Like 4

You're an inspiration to us all idyb

ive decided against my nap because id rather eat a slice of pizza and play some video games instead.

• Like 2

I think you are absolutely correct. But I think my PT knew of my weaknesses and he corporated this philosophy into my plan. I'm not ashamed to say that I know my weaknesses...and if I don't mitigate them up front...I'm a dead man.

The BEST thing I can say about my PT, even amongst all my strength gains, is he steered me away from sweets and more to veggies and lean protein for diet. Including no alcohol. That's why he included the cheat day...I was eating so horribly when I started with him. Now, sweets are such a small part of my diet...but if I fall off the horse, it's like heroine to me. Such a debilitating substance for me. Uncontrolled...I'm a dead man.

He moved away physically a couple of years ago...but I see him in person every once in a while. It's hard to lie about your weight or condition in front of somebody.

It's a good check on my progress.

It's funny that write I this...THIS very morning for breakfast I had my glass of V8 and a pocket of turkey sausage and egg. But I was still hungry so I went back to the fridge...and saw the packet of Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls that I had bought the last time I had gone to the store. And I just stood there for several seconds looking at it...before the thought ever entered my mind 'dude, don't do this'. If I open it...I will eat it all.

I never did it. And although I HATE the thought of wasting money...either I throw it out or one day, I will succumb.

Edited by Joby
  • Like 3

And if I even mention the words 'cinnamon rolls' to my PT, he's gonna interrupt and say 'you ate it all, didn't you?' lol.

• Like 2

SO...now my biggest obstacle is that I HATE going to the grocery...but fresh veggies need to be bought every few days or so. Tomatoes...celery, mushrooms, cucumber...these are the things I'm learning to purchase a week at a time. And planning meals only for the next few days instead of two weeks at a time.

• Like 1

Just pretend those cinnamon rolls are onions.

Except I can smell them...and we all know onions don't have anything on cinnamon rolls. lol

• Like 3

In the phillipines a standard breakfast is some beef/chicken, eggs and rice. Been complimenting my workouts well.

I have an airbnb in kuala lumpur for 10 days with a gym, looking forward to some actual equipment rather than my makeshift routines!

• Like 5

Thanks guys!! I didn't workout yesterday. And the day before, I didn't step it up, I just stayed at level 3 for the 30 minutes again. The hardest part I'm finding is keeping my motivation up. Had a lazy AF day yesterday. It's all about moderation I suppose like everything else in life! And Bubba, you're right on the money. I'm a type A personality and fall into that intense, overachieving, all or nothing trap quite easily. Lol

Gonna go change and get back on the proverbial horse this morning!! I got this, I got this, I got this.....

• Like 5

Thanks guys!! I didn't workout yesterday. And the day before, I didn't step it up, I just stayed at level 3 for the 30 minutes again. The hardest part I'm finding is keeping my motivation up. Had a lazy AF day yesterday. It's all about moderation I suppose like everything else in life! And Bubba, you're right on the money. I'm a type A personality and fall into that intense, overachieving, all or nothing trap quite easily. Lol

Gonna go change and get back on the proverbial horse this morning!! I got this, I got this, I got this.....

Maybe you can occasionally change it up by going for a walk, or run, if you can. It's always better getting outside.

• Like 6

I guess with your nerve issues running is a bridge too far?  What about walking though?  If it's feasible, getting regular steady walks in will do wonders, especially if you're trying to regain mobility.  Chons got great results last year just from putting in some good walking miles.

I'm very much the same btw - I have run for years but until about 4 years ago it would always be 2-3 miles as fast as I could.  Never really did much for me healthwise until i slowed it all down and went for distance not speed.

• Like 4

hey u wanna see a chick going down on a horse? i think u might like it

Edited by -idyb-

To that Atkins point...

First time I did this it was under a doc's supervision. Bacon, sausage, eggs, cheese, cheeseburgers w/o bun, steaks, shrimp, salads up the yin yang, etc...and doc watched my triglycerides drop through the floor. The concept of ketosis is sound.

I did it for about 8 weeks and got down to a size of about my early 20's.

Problem was...without a personal chef everywhere I went to provide the protein, it was difficult to maintain. And once you go above about 20g of carbs in a 24 hr period, you not only go out of ketosis but triglycerides start skyrocketing, etc. It can be a very dangerous diet if not tightly controlled.

I decided, because of my work schedule, that the traditional diet of veggies, lean proteins, and exercise was best for me.

Even if I had a personal chef ready to hand me a bunless burger every 3 hours...I didn't want to be the guy that never got any exercise. Makes me think of the gelatinous humans in WALL-E.

• Like 3

So, this is an example of Mon/Tue lunches, as advocated by my former PT:

https://i.imgur.com/kcmdd6b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Z3DTZb7.jpg

Dark leafy greens...but color also:  carrots, tomatoes and red peppers - all raw.  Plus cheese and bacon.  Plus grilled chicken breast.  A very filling meal for lunch.

Only two day's worth...then I'll see how the veggies are holding up and may get new ones at store.

Edited by Joby
  • Like 2

Maybe you can occasionally change it up by going for a walk, or run, if you can. It's always better getting outside.

I guess with your nerve issues running is a bridge too far?  What about walking though?  If it's feasible, getting regular steady walks in will do wonders, especially if you're trying to regain mobility.  Chons got great results last year just from putting in some good walking miles.

I'm very much the same btw - I have run for years but until about 4 years ago it would always be 2-3 miles as fast as I could.  Never really did much for me healthwise until i slowed it all down and went for distance not speed.

Actually, I had been walking quite regularly. It's how I started my journey back. Around September I would walk every chance I got. It was literally painful baby steps. But I kept going until I could do about 2km one way. One time I bit off more than I could chew and thought I could walk to the local mall and ended up at a park on a bench crying and my daughter had to come pick me up lol. But yeah, I would walk but alas, it's -30 here most days with the windchill and very icy. Not feasible until spring I'm afraid. As far as running is concerned, that would literally be the end of my spine. I cannot do ANY impact. I truly am limited to this elliptical or walking. I do squats when I am just hanging around throughout the day and I stretch. Believe it or not, just in one week, I can SEE a change in my body already. That sense of accomplishment fuels me to keep going. It's all mind over matter in the end really.

• Like 6

hey u wanna see a chick going down on a horse? i think u might like it

I'll put money on it you're probably a smart guy..I'd love to see more of that.

;)

• Like 1

Actually, I had been walking quite regularly. It's how I started my journey back. Around September I would walk every chance I got. It was literally painful baby steps. But I kept going until I could do about 2km one way. One time I bit off more than I could chew and thought I could walk to the local mall and ended up at a park on a bench crying and my daughter had to come pick me up lol. But yeah, I would walk but alas, it's -30 here most days with the windchill and very icy. Not feasible until spring I'm afraid. As far as running is concerned, that would literally be the end of my spine. I cannot do ANY impact. I truly am limited to this elliptical or walking. I do squats when I am just hanging around throughout the day and I stretch. Believe it or not, just in one week, I can SEE a change in my body already. That sense of accomplishment fuels me to keep going. It's all mind over matter in the end really.

Oh aye, forgot you live in deepest darkest Canadia.

Sounds like you've been through some tough times BEG, but maybe coming out of the other side a bit - keep going with the elliptical doo-dah and then when the spring comes i guess you'll be ready to put in more miles outdoors.

Is there anything that can be done to improve your spinal condition, or will you always have to manage it within certain limitations for a while? Apologies if that sounds a bit nosey, just curious as the missus has had a couple of spinal challenges over the years.

• Like 5

LEVEL FIVE BIYATCHES!!

Haha. Don't mind me. I JUST finished 30 minutes and the adrenaline is high. Interestingly, my distance stayed the exact same. I can tell you with absolute certainty that I worked exponentially harder today. Just sayin'.

• Like 5

Oh aye, forgot you live in deepest darkest Canadia.

Sounds like you've been through some tough times BEG, but maybe coming out of the other side a bit - keep going with the elliptical doo-dah and then when the spring comes i guess you'll be ready to put in more miles outdoors.

Is there anything that can be done to improve your spinal condition, or will you always have to manage it within certain limitations for a while? Apologies if that sounds a bit nosey, just curious as the missus has had a couple of spinal challenges over the years.

I absolutely need surgery for my lower spine. I have two ruptured discs. I'm waiting to see a neurosurgeon. In terms of my cervical spine, my family doctor told me I'm inoperable because I have three vertebrae, the bottom three, that are akin to dust. If they go in there and start drilling screws and inserting cages, that could very well leave me worse as the vertebrae above might become unstable. Those top ones, if they go, I'm in a wheelchair.

All that to say, I've panicked enough and I'm going to wait and see what an actual neurosurgeon has to say. In the meantime, eff that. I'm not going down without a fight. I'm not young per se, but young enough that my spirit is FAR from dead and I have a life ahead of me.

• Like 3

So, this is an example of Mon/Tue lunches, as advocated by my former PT:

https://i.imgur.com/kcmdd6b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Z3DTZb7.jpg

Dark leafy greens...but color also:  carrots, tomatoes and red peppers - all raw.  Plus cheese and bacon.  Plus grilled chicken breast.  A very filling meal for lunch.

Only two day's worth...then I'll see how the veggies are holding up and may get new ones at store.

Those look delish! I like when you can get to the point where you actually crave vegetables and healthy meals like that.

• Like 2

I absolutely need surgery for my lower spine. I have two ruptured discs. I'm waiting to see a neurosurgeon. In terms of my cervical spine, my family doctor told me I'm inoperable because I have three vertebrae, the bottom three, that are akin to dust. If they go in there and start drilling screws and inserting cages, that could very well leave me worse as the vertebrae above might become unstable. Those top ones, if they go, I'm in a wheelchair.

All that to say, I've panicked enough and I'm going to wait and see what an actual neurosurgeon has to say. In the meantime, eff that. I'm not going down without a fight. I'm not young per se, but young enough that my spirit is FAR from dead and I have a life ahead of me.

Good call, hopefully the neurosurgeon can give you more details on options.

• Like 2

Good call, hopefully the neurosurgeon can give you more details on options.

Exactly. My vascular surgeon kinda looked at me like I had ten heads when I told him what my GP said, so I'm gonna take it with a grain of salt. There are people fused from head to tail. I'm optimistic.

• Like 2

Good luck!

• Like 3

I'm saying f it until spring arrives. I'm hovering around 180 lbs.

Yup. You and I literally have the same weather, right down to the same storm systems within the hour. People don't understand our pain!!! Haha Edited by BEG
  • Like 2

Wowsers BEG, good luck with all that.  Positive mindset goes a very long way and you seem to have it in spades.

• Like 4

Wowsers BEG, good luck with all that.  Positive mindset goes a very long way and you seem to have it in spades.

Thanks so much. Not gonna lie, over the past two years I wasn't always so optimistic. I had some VERY dark days. It's been a journey back. I'd say something clicked around July last year. Ever since, I've been making gains in all areas of my life. Not to take away from any of my support system, but when it's all said and done, YOU have to want to keep searching for ways to be better. There is always something you can do to be proactive. It's your life. All it takes is one decision and the resolve to put a plan in motion to get there.

• Like 3

Those look delish! I like when you can get to the point where you actually crave vegetables and healthy meals like that.

Thanks, man.  The structuring of my diet was probably one my PT's biggest accomplishments.  And salads are now a staple of the diet.  They leave me in a good place to be able to workout most days without any problems.

• Like 2

I'll put money on it you're probably a smart guy..I'd love to see more of that.

;)

no.  i dont know who told you that but they sold u wolf tickets

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 2

So you're a dummy?

if i was an intellergent person i wouldnt be on this forum conversing with you retards.  im really just here for you guys to make me look smart.

• Like 1

if i was an intellergent person i wouldnt be on this forum conversing with you retards.  im really just here for you guys to make me look smart.

Interesting approach. I'm keeping my first assessment of you, however.

So, for the next three weeks, I'd like to spend some time on compound exercises: overhead press, bench, dead lift and squat. I'd like to ease myself back into a dedicated program. Also thought about adding separate arm exercises with the bar. Plus lunges.

It took me a while...but I isolated one of the problems with my MCL...a specific pair of shoes. Old as hell but easy to wear to the grocery or mailbox or work when I'm feeling lazy. After a couple of days use...the same old MCL problems occurred. Hmmm...replaced the shoes...and viola'...the problems disappeared.

My PT yelled at me...'buy some new ****ing shoes!'.

• Like 2

I just got another bike.  I had my single speed Marin stolen in Hollywood.  I left my beach cruiser in Hermosa Beach.  So I've been without a bike for almost 4 months, which is tragic.  Today I picked up a killer 80's era Japanese-made Schwinn road bike off of craigslist for 90 bucks.  It is in near-brand new condition, but with new tires and brake pads.  It's freaking awesome!  I usually buy my bikes brand new, but I could never afford a decent road bike, and I really wanted one.  I rolled the dice and I am really pleased with what I came up with.  Now maybe I can just keep my truck mostly parked.

• Like 2

I finally got under my plateau! And lost ONE pound lol. Am pretty happy I finally lost something, I've lost 17 pounds since Nov 1st,  but I hadn't actually lost any additional pounds since late December

January was pretty inconsistent, but I've been back on it this past couple weeks. Haven't ate any fast food or drank any alcohol for two weeks!

Going to be hitting the gym after work with my co-worker. She has a membership to a local gym and it allows her to bring a guest for free and I'll be swooping up on that guest pass! For the most part, we worked out Thursday-Saturday mornings after work.

I went last Saturday morning and used the treadmill for about 30-35 minutes and I believe that is what got me out of my hump. Once I start consistently running for those days, plus other activities throughout the week, I should have no problem cutting weight.

February shall be fruitful! She is gone this week, so next week is when I will start to the gym after work, I'm excited...I make significant gains with the treadmill. It's how I lost 87 pounds originally back in 2010-2011

Edited by Nyte
  • Like 3

Ok Bubba, here is my total for January: 200.2 km.

pXv2XE5.png

my last run today went great, I set PRs for 5k (22:56) and 10k (50:42). So I am already very close to my first goal of a sub 50 10k :) This week was a breakthrough after a past couple of weeks of constant traveling and lower back pain due to sitting on trains too much and sleeping at hotels with soft mattresses :)

• Like 4

That app looks cool! Great way to track your progress. I wonder if there is one for an elliptical. "There's an app for that " lol

I'm still at it every day. A couple of observations I am making about working out, completely aside from the physical gains of my intended goals of increasing muscle and overall toning. I'm finding that it's my salvation. Yesterday, I was fuming just before I started and was able to channel that into my workout. Today, it will serve as a distraction. Life has its ups and downs, for each of us, but working out is a productive good old standby that won't let you down. It always feels so good. In addition, I'm really amazing myself over here. It's insane how quickly my body is adapting. I've stayed at level five resistance for three days and just within those three days I went from "kill me now" to "meh". I'll be upping that to a level seven I'm guessing on Monday. I'll see how it goes.

My original plan of using distance as my gauge is out the window. I've been sticking with 30 minutes instead. The other day, I didn't have much sleep, and as a result my workout wasn't as intense as it could have been, but I'm going to focus on the fact that I even got on that machine, PERIOD, rather than berate myself for not being a breakout star that day. I think the trick is staying focussed and positive. I can't go wrong leaning on exercise on those crappy days, right?

• Like 3

Ok Bubba, here is my total for January: 200.2 km.

pXv2XE5.png

my last run today went great, I set PRs for 5k (22:56) and 10k (50:42). So I am already very close to my first goal of a sub 50 10k :) This week was a breakthrough after a past couple of weeks of constant traveling and lower back pain due to sitting on trains too much and sleeping at hotels with soft mattresses :)

Nice one mate, you're flying!  Does that record your monthly elevation gain as well?

I'm still in old money I'm afraid.  I did 86 miles (~135 KM), so you're more than a marathon further on than me.  Keep those distances up mate, that's awesome.

That app looks cool! Great way to track your progress. I wonder if there is one for an elliptical. "There's an app for that " lol

I'm still at it every day. A couple of observations I am making about working out, completely aside from the physical gains of my intended goals of increasing muscle and overall toning. I'm finding that it's my salvation. Yesterday, I was fuming just before I started and was able to channel that into my workout. Today, it will serve as a distraction. Life has its ups and downs, for each of us, but working out is a productive good old standby that won't let you down. It always feels so good. In addition, I'm really amazing myself over here. It's insane how quickly my body is adapting. I've stayed at level five resistance for three days and just within those three days I went from "kill me now" to "meh". I'll be upping that to a level seven I'm guessing on Monday. I'll see how it goes.

My original plan of using distance as my gauge is out the window. I've been sticking with 30 minutes instead. The other day, I didn't have much sleep, and as a result my workout wasn't as intense as it could have been, but I'm going to focus on the fact that I even got on that machine, PERIOD, rather than berate myself for not being a breakout star that day. I think the trick is staying focussed and positive. I can't go wrong leaning on exercise on those crappy days, right?

Good work BEG.  Keep on moving.....like you say, our bodies respond really quickly.  Don't get downhearted if progress slows down a bit; the first few weeks of something will always have the most notable improvements.

So in other news, i ended up doing a strange deal with a mate in a pub last night.  Persuaded him to do an ultra with me in June...but my side of the deal is doing a 90KM x-country skiing race in Sweden next March.  Not quite sure what I was thinking, or if being able to snowboard and run ultras will help, but figured it's got to be easier skiing 90K than running it...hasn't it??

• Like 4

Nice one mate, you're flying!  Does that record your monthly elevation gain as well?

I'm still in old money I'm afraid.  I did 86 miles (~135 KM), so you're more than a marathon further on than me.  Keep those distances up mate, that's awesome.

Good work BEG.  Keep on moving.....like you say, our bodies respond really quickly.  Don't get downhearted if progress slows down a bit; the first few weeks of something will always have the most notable improvements.

So in other news, i ended up doing a strange deal with a mate in a pub last night.  Persuaded him to do an ultra with me in June...but my side of the deal is doing a 90KM x-country skiing race in Sweden next March.  Not quite sure what I was thinking, or if being able to snowboard and run ultras will help, but figured it's got to be easier skiing 90K than running it...hasn't it??

I've never skied b4 but if those generalized charts are to be believed for how demanding certain physical activities are based on the calories you burn it's up there with boxing and wrestling. Very demanding activity from what I've gather. 

U dun goofed m8. You'll be rekt for wks and be eating copious amounts of pizza to recover. The good news is pizza as it turns out isn't all that bad for you it's just calorie rich and the bread may spike your glucose and cause some inflammation if your're gluten sensitive. 

So just don't hit a tree and er....break a leg.... i mean...good luck. 

• Like 2