Sign in to follow this  
ReturnoftheSoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

I lack the motivation that I had even just a few months ago. I think it's because I've been nearly constantly ill this entire winter, I'm hacking up a lung now... I plan to force myself to do some bodyweight exercises tomorrow, let's see if I follow through.

• Like 2

I lack the motivation that I had even just a few months ago. I think it's because I've been nearly constantly ill this entire winter, I'm hacking up a lung now... I plan to force myself to do some bodyweight exercises tomorrow, let's see if I follow through.

My motivation is still high i just can't do much with my back right now. Surprisingly i'm in pretty high spirits not being able to do much which i thought would really suck but i've been doing a lot of other things to stay busy and enjoying the downtime. 

The only part that kinda bums me out is i was making srs gains and starting to kinda look like a mini 170 lb pale Yoel but now i'm back to being skinny fat like N8 Diaz lol. Back willing it won't take me long to get rid of my softer dad bod once i heal up. 

• Like 2

Nice one mate, you're flying!  Does that record your monthly elevation gain as well?

I'm still in old money I'm afraid.  I did 86 miles (~135 KM), so you're more than a marathon further on than me.  Keep those distances up mate, that's awesome.

Not directly (each run it does but there is n ototal shown) but strava does, January I climbed 2081m, I did not add elevation to my goals this year because I will most likely be leaving Dortmund soon, and Dortmund is hilly so I can get elevation without trouble, but say I were to mo to Berlin I would not be able to find elevation anywhere near :)

I hope I will climb at least the height of the Everest this year but it seems fairly easy now, I never realized I was doing that much climbing until this january actually hahahaha I joined the strava challenge which is 2000 meters and I always thought, no way I can climb that much a month, and then I did without even having to go out of my way to climb more, just in my usual routes.

And I need to get some miles on you before you start your ultra training, although I will be doing serious training as well it won't be close to the mileage you need for an ultra :)

Edited by amunera
  • Like 2

I've never skied b4 but if those generalized charts are to be believed for how demanding certain physical activities are based on the calories you burn it's up there with boxing and wrestling. Very demanding activity from what I've gather. 

U dun goofed m8. You'll be rekt for wks and be eating copious amounts of pizza to recover. The good news is pizza as it turns out isn't all that bad for you it's just calorie rich and the bread may spike your glucose and cause some inflammation if your're gluten sensitive. 

So just don't hit a tree and er....break a leg.... i mean...good luck. 

I've definitely goofed, although I think the chances of hitting a tree are slim as it's x-country, not downhill.  Oh well. My main worry is getting eaten by wolves.

Not directly (each run it does but there is n ototal shown) but strava does, January I climbed 2081m, I did not add elevation to my goals this year because I will most likely be leaving Dortmund soon, and Dortmund is hilly so I can get elevation without trouble, but say I were to mo to Berlin I would not be able to find elevation anywhere near :)

I hope I will climb at least the height of the Everest this year but it seems fairly easy now, I never realized I was doing that much climbing until this january actually hahahaha I joined the strava challenge which is 2000 meters and I always thought, no way I can climb that much a month, and then I did without even having to go out of my way to climb more, just in my usual routes.

And I need to get some miles on you before you start your ultra training, although I will be doing serious training as well it won't be close to the mileage you need for an ultra :)

Yeah, the elevation all adds up mate.  I live on a hill, which helps; clocked up 2190M this month.  Feel a little bit like honour is restored! I think you'll take some overhauling though.  If you do that every month you'll hit 2400K in the year, which is the most I've ever done.  Good motivation!

• Like 1

Yeah, the elevation all adds up mate.  I live on a hill, which helps; clocked up 2190M this month.  Feel a little bit like honour is restored! I think you'll take some overhauling though.  If you do that every month you'll hit 2400K in the year, which is the most I've ever done.  Good motivation!

I want to hit 2195 which is a marathon weekly on average, if I do not get injured I think I'll make it comfortably :)

Good work BEG.  Keep on moving.....like you say, our bodies respond really quickly.  Don't get downhearted if progress slows down a bit; the first few weeks of something will always have the most notable improvements.

Why, thank you kind Sir!

Well, I managed to walk just over 6 klicks today and I'm done in. I needed to buy a bunch of chit for my cats, and I'm too stubborn to use the bus for such a seemingly short distance. 

• Like 1

Strange...last couple of days I've awakened with pain in my left leg. Not the muscle...but seems located in the tibia or fibula. My first thought: bone cancer (not being facetious). But as the day goes on...disappears. Then the next morning, pain reappears. Seems to eliminate the cancer scare. Can't believe I've strained a muscle as there's virtually no muscle on the shin bone. Watching it for a few more days. Calves and shins have never given me any kinds of problems.

I rode the bike home from work last night.. I took the metro link to get to work because I don't wanna show up gross and sweaty, but rode back. This is what I'll do every night that it doesn't drop too far below freezing. It's only 10 miles to get back, which really isn't that far. I can't really help how far away my job is. But my health regimen is not centered around riding my bicycle home from work. I just like riding bicycles. But a 10 mile ride a few times a week after eight or so hours on my feet is still something. And if I really push the pace, it becomes a worthy enough exercise.

I haven't ridden in about four months and I was expecting to be a little slow or do you see a little challenge. But the fact of the matter is, this freaking bicycle is fast! It's a little uncomfortable ride, but I could hardly tell the difference between going uphill or downhill. It's hard to really be completely scientific about all this, though. It's been a while since I've ridden and the last bike I had was a beach cruiser. And that novelty was so slow, it would've had trouble keeping up with old people in walkers, black women walking side-by-side on designated bike paths, several species of ants, and most unicycles.

Edited by Megasoup
  • Like 4

Strange...last couple of days I've awakened with pain in my left leg. Not the muscle...but seems located in the tibia or fibula. My first thought: bone cancer (not being facetious). But as the day goes on...disappears. Then the next morning, pain reappears. Seems to eliminate the cancer scare. Can't believe I've strained a muscle as there's virtually no muscle on the shin bone. Watching it for a few more days. Calves and shins have never given me any kinds of problems.

When I was a teen, I used to get terrible shin splints, typically after gymnastics or figure skating practice. I was highly athletic and they are 'stop you in your tracks' painful. It's basically just either from overuse or you could have tweaked something especially if it's only one sided. Advil might help for the inflammation in the tendon. Just a thought?

Happy Friday Y'all!! Rounding the week off at level seven!! WOOHOO! Taking tomorrow off. Rawr.

• Like 2

I see we have another hypochondriac here. I'm like that too sometimes.....Nausea, headache, lower stomach hurts all for no particular reason.....yep probably cancer. lol

TBF i did piss blood a few times and i never figured out what that was about. Scary stuff when you go to piss away your morning wood and dark red comes out instead.  

Happy Friday Y'all!! Rounding the week off at level seven!! WOOHOO! Taking tomorrow off. Rawr.

Lol your enthusiasm is nice to see. Also sounds like you've got your excitement vs. brain in check knowing your body enough to know what is just enough but not babying yourself is such a difficult but good awareness to have. 

• Like 1

Lol your enthusiasm is nice to see. Also sounds like you've got your excitement vs. brain in check knowing your body enough to know what is just enough but not babying yourself is such a difficult but good awareness to have.

Thank you so much, Stomp! Honestly the hardest part is dragging my butt downstairs and just getting on the damn machine. Once I'm there after about 5 minutes my adrenaline kicks in and takes over. I'm enjoying myself with it.

Thank you so much, Stomp! Honestly the hardest part is dragging my butt downstairs and just getting on the damn machine. Once I'm there after about 5 minutes my adrenaline kicks in and takes over. I'm enjoying myself with it.

I know what you mean. Believe it or not as fanatical as i am about working out frequently that is hardest part for me too. Once i get going i'm dialed in, nothing else matters and i'm a god. Exercise or sex makes me feel like that. lol

Mike Tyson has this speech about that being in the moment, no fear, tuned in thing and it's awesome. 

I usually watch a video of something physically inspiring or listen to music when i'm not feeling that motivated. 

Glad you're enjoying yourself. 

• Like 1

I know what you mean. Believe it or not as fanatical as i am about working out frequently that is hardest part for me too. Once i get going i'm dialed in, nothing else matters and i'm a god. Exercise or sex makes me feel like that. lol

Mike Tyson has this speech about that being in the moment, no fear, tuned in thing and it's awesome. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd4zVoon3nM

I usually watch a video of something physically inspiring or listen to music when i'm not feeling that motivated. 

Glad you're enjoying yourself.

Damn. I liked that. Thanks for sharing it. But yup. That adrenaline stuff? Effing magic.

• Like 1

When I was a teen, I used to get terrible shin splints, typically after gymnastics or figure skating practice. I was highly athletic and they are 'stop you in your tracks' painful. It's basically just either from overuse or you could have tweaked something especially if it's only one sided. Advil might help for the inflammation in the tendon. Just a thought?

I see we have another hypochondriac here. I'm like that too sometimes.....Nausea, headache, lower stomach hurts all for no particular reason.....yep probably cancer. lol

TBF i did piss blood a few times and i never figured out what that was about. Scary stuff when you go to piss away your morning wood and dark red comes out instead.  

In looking stuff up, I guess it could be a shin splint or stress fracture.  I'm not a runner, though, and haven't changed my routine.  Running the fingers down the shin, it's an area directly in front, about 4-5 inches (10.16 centimeters for you Canadians) on the left leg only.  It's sore...but not terribly so.  And most sore after a full night's rest.  During the day, not bad at all.

I try not to run to the doctor for every little thing but you do see those stories every once in a while where somebody says, "Yeah, my leg ached a little, went to the doctors and they determined it was cancer."   :mellow:

Edited by Joby
  • Like 1

In looking stuff up, I guess it could be a shin splint or stress fracture.  I'm not a runner, though, and haven't changed my routine.  Running the fingers down the shin, it's an area directly in front, about 4-5 inches (10.16 centimeters for you Canadians) on the left leg only.  It's sore...but not terribly so.  And most sore after a full night's rest.  During the day, not bad at all.

I try not to run to the doctor for every little thing but you do see those stories every once in a while where somebody says, "Yeah, my leg ached a little, went to the doctors and they determined it was cancer."   :mellow:

That's not a shin splint then. Nope. I would go get it checked. And I have to be damn near dying to go to the doctor and its freaking free here. But that's also one of the factors wny I find myself in the shape I am in. You should go. Oh, and because I'm old AF, I was originally taught the imperial system before Canada switched over to metric when I was around 8 or so. Because of this, I am fluent in both.

I know what an inch is. ;)

• Like 2

4-6 inches down from the knee? < Stop shin kicking people.  :lol:

Do you sleep on your side? Maybe you are knocking it or your other leg is pressing against that area for long periods of time? That sore shin happens to me sometimes for instance if i sit certain ways with my leg folded and have something pressing into my shin for a while but that goes away quickly when i change posish. 

I don't go to the doctor either. I'm one of those people i little issues here and there but not enough to make me drag myself to the doc more than my yearly check-up.

I h8 hospitals though with all the sick people and i'm slightly skeptical about some medical professionals that just wanna give you a damn pill for everything and don't give AF enough to get to the bottom of things. 

That being said you should go if it's persistent. At the very least mention it next time you go. 

• Like 2

This post is devoted to Stompgrind.

I don't give a **** if you like me or not. I really don't. I'm not going to spend a minute out of my day worrying about what you think about me. You don't know me.

But I like you. I respect you. And I found out in another thread, by your own admission, that you smoke cigarettes. Brother, that's going to have to stop. I would like that to be your number one fitness and training goal for 2018. You're a good guy. I don't want your health and your quality-of-life compromised because of cigarettes.

• Like 2

I got a new seat and some new tires on my bike today. I didn't really need them, but I wanted them. The tires are faster and they are puncture resistant, which I will need here in St. Louis, and they only cost $20 per tire. I got a seat for $10, it was i'm more expensive seats but I got it for a deal because it was an exchange that they had lying around back there. It looks really, really sharp. So 50 bucks and some taxes and now my bike looks totally awesome. It was already extremely fast, and I know these tires are faster. I'll change my avatar to a picture of the bike for a few days or something.

• Like 1

well checked my weight today, not much of a drop for January, but that's mainly due to some inconsistency the first few weeks. Nonetheless, managed to lose a pound

That being said, February is a new month, can't dwell on what I did or didn't do in January and I'm instead just gonna focus on new opportunity for February.

Goal for this month is 10 pounds. I am going to start hitting the treadmill after work next week, that's when my friend and I are starting to hit the gym after work (at least for 3 days), so I'm ready to see massive gains!!--That would mean I'm using the treadmill on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday mornings. I play on two softball teams on Sunday and one on Tuesday. It's not massive exercise, but nonetheless, I am still going to be exercising on those days!

In addition to my diet/caloric intake, adding in those few days on the treadmill should yield good results! I'm excited!!!

Edited by Nyte
  • Like 3

This post is devoted to Stompgrind.

I don't give a **** if you like me or not. I really don't. I'm not going to spend a minute out of my day worrying about what you think about me. You don't know me.

But I like you. I respect you. And I found out in another thread, by your own admission, that you smoke cigarettes. Brother, that's going to have to stop. I would like that to be your number one fitness and training goal for 2018. You're a good guy. I don't want your health and your quality-of-life compromised because of cigarettes.

Thanks. I've cut down some but i'm gonna give nicotine gum another shot. I can't do cold turkey. 

• Like 1

well checked my weight today, not much of a drop for January, but that's mainly due to some inconsistency the first few weeks. Nonetheless, managed to lose a pound

That being said, February is a new month, can't dwell on what I did or didn't do in January and I'm instead just gonna focus on new opportunity for February.

Goal for this month is 10 pounds. I am going to start hitting the treadmill after work next week, that's when my friend and I are starting to hit the gym after work (at least for 3 days), so I'm ready to see massive gains!!--That would mean I'm using the treadmill on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday mornings. I play on two softball teams on Sunday and one on Tuesday. It's not massive exercise, but nonetheless, I am still going to be exercising on those days!

In addition to my diet/caloric intake, adding in those few days on the treadmill should yield good results! I'm excited!!!

Mate....time for some CageRattler tough love.

You're a young lad, so these are the best possible years to get both great results, and establish great habits that will last a lifetime.

We've been hob-nobbing on this thread for 3 or 4 years now, and whilst I love your enthusiasm, it's very often a kind of `not had a great month, but this next one's going to be the one'.

I'm pretty sure you plan to do mostly the right things; you just need to follow through and stick to it.  If you want to see results, you need to get away from the cycle of a good few weeks followed by a heavy session at the baseball, or whatever causes lapses into bad habits.  The path from here to your goals is through a regular, persistent and disciplined approach.  Don't allow yourself to slip.  Use this thread to keep yourself accountable - not just on the `lag' indicator (weight), but the `lead' indicator (runs/week, days you eat right, that sort of thing).  Keep yourself honest mate.  You know I believe in you.  Make this the year you get back to your athletic best of a few years ago.

You know you can do it.  Let's go Nyte!  I'm gonna harrass you in this thread until you're where you want to be.

• Like 2

Mate....time for some CageRattler tough love.

You're a young lad, so these are the best possible years to get both great results, and establish great habits that will last a lifetime.

We've been hob-nobbing on this thread for 3 or 4 years now, and whilst I love your enthusiasm, it's very often a kind of `not had a great month, but this next one's going to be the one'.

I'm pretty sure you plan to do mostly the right things; you just need to follow through and stick to it.  If you want to see results, you need to get away from the cycle of a good few weeks followed by a heavy session at the baseball, or whatever causes lapses into bad habits.  The path from here to your goals is through a regular, persistent and disciplined approach.  Don't allow yourself to slip.  Use this thread to keep yourself accountable - not just on the `lag' indicator (weight), but the `lead' indicator (runs/week, days you eat right, that sort of thing).  Keep yourself honest mate.  You know I believe in you.  Make this the year you get back to your athletic best of a few years ago.

You know you can do it.  Let's go Nyte!  I'm gonna harrass you in this thread until you're where you want to be.

I know what you mean. I should start looking at it more that way and maybe just use the "weight" indicator as a short term goal, but if I just change my overall eating habits and incorporate a healthy lifestyle, all of that will fall into place anyways.

Thanks for the advice, I think I needed that tbh

I have a lot of motivation right now...that is the most important thing for me, I can never lose motivation or else I will lapse like I did last year. I'll keep this thread updated for sure!

Edited by Nyte
  • Like 1

I know what you mean. I should start looking at it more that way and maybe just use the "weight" indicator as a short term goal, but if I just change my overall eating habits and incorporate a healthy lifestyle, all of that will fall into place anyways.

Thanks for the advice, I think I needed that tbh

I have a lot of motivation right now...that is the most important thing for me, I can never lose motivation or else I will lapse like I did last year. I'll keep this thread updated for sure!

This is the problem, you cannot rely on motivation, you need to cultivate discipline, motivation will eventually wear off. Use your current motivation to build a habit but DO NOT rely on motivation to keep it going, sometimes you will have to force yourself to do stuff you are not motivated to do but that you have to do.

You can do it mate!

• Like 5

This is the problem, you cannot rely on motivation, you need to cultivate discipline, motivation will eventually wear off. Use your current motivation to build a habit but DO NOT rely on motivation to keep it going, sometimes you will have to force yourself to do stuff you are not motivated to do but that you have to do.

You can do it mate!

This^^^ You have to change your mind set, and make it a part of your every day life.

• Like 2

There you Nyte; when bubba sparks, a guy doing a PhD and someone celebrating their 80th birthday all agree, it must be right. Staying motivated is part of it, but training when unmotivated an even bigger part. If I only ran when motivated, fit example, I probably wouldn't run much until April.

Make 2018 your year!

• Like 5

You can do it mate!

Ain't that the fooking TRUTH!!! I've been plenty motivated and plenty unmotivated but my discipline and pride for that discipline always carried me when i lacked motivation. 

There isn't a much better feeling than doing something you don't feel like doing but you do it anyway because you know it's worth it especially in spite of your b!tch@ssedness. lol

Carpe diem there is no tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Tanks for the advice dudes. You know thinking about it, a few years back I was running Monday-Friday and running was just built into my schedule and was just a daily routine for me. Didn't necessarily have motivation, it was just a habit. So I can attest to what you guys are saying cause I was just doing that not too long ago!

It's time to get work done this year! Here's the forecast GIF representation of 2018:
(I'm not the rebel getting sliced in half)

tumblr_on0sj6McCx1w6jsdfo3_540.gif

• Like 1

It looks as though there is a theme that's starting to gain traction in this thread. Just as there are no get rich quick scheme's that are worth a damn, fitness is best attained by making it a lifestyle, not a program. I swear to God, I know this because I have lived this. I lived on both sides of this.

I changed my good habits over 5 years ago. It all started when I began working at that goddamn salsa club. My priorities changed. I was missing something very important in my life. I was more focused on bad things and vice than clean living. Alcohol, dancing and loose women was fast and easy, but it didn't fill the void. And I lost a lot more than good habits.

I've managed to get in pretty decent shape a few times since then for very short periods, quickly backsliding and getting soft again (maybe not as soft as some of my biggest detractors on here.) I've told myself that I can get in really good shape again in six or seven weeks, and I have managed to pull it off a number of times. But I haven't reached the levels that I have before. And it's not because of age. It's because I've been taking the "get rich quick scheme" approach to health.

At the end of the day, it's about health.

And this thread seems to have been going in this direction, taking a life of its own as all the other threads tend to do. The last half-dozen or so posts have been about "lifestyle change." The irony is that that actually has been my own approach this time.

Truthfully, I've been really taking the slow in order to avoid injury. And I've been taking it's low because I don't have any goals. I used to push like crazy and I usually injured something, then work on something else until I eventually able to lost interest. But now this new approach (which is really just the old approach) allows me to chill and relax and sort of even be lazy about it, which is nice. I am making everything stronger. I'm touching everything. Every muscle group, even the ones that "don't matter." It's helping me address things that I used to overlook, like grip strength and flexibility. I'm feeling more balanced.

I remember a long, long time ago I got a pull up bar to put in the back room of the convenience store owned. I was a fit guy, had been boxing for a little while and running and lifting and practicing jujitsu, there really isn't any exercise that's a precise replacement for pull-ups. I start doing pull-ups like crazy and within about a week and a half I ****ed up a tendon at my elbow so badly that I couldn't do a single pull up for almost a year.

One day I found I could do pull-ups. I decided I didn't want to hurt myself again, so I only did two pull-ups per set, no matter how strong I felt or how many more I felt I could do. I did this for a very long time. I was patient. This was at a time that I could do well over 100 push-ups and one set. This was at a time that I could run crazy fast. I was very much in shape. After at least a month, I turned 2 pull ups into 3 and after a little while I thought control enough to bump them up to 4 and before long I went to 8. And I would do no more than 8 pull-ups after that. I stayed at 8 for a year, no matter how strong I felt. Do you hear that? A year. Then one day I wanted to see how many I could do. I did 30. After that, I did 20 every set, usually three or four sets.

It was like that for me until I started working at the salsa club and forgot about fitness. Although a couple years later I did get that number up in to the extra upper 20s again, but that was just because I spend a few months in jail and I didn't have anything else to do other than push-ups and pull-ups and sit-ups and squats.

Anyway, let's everyone's stop chasing some goal and stop worrying about some program. Let's change ourselves. All that strength will come to us. We will get that hot body we are after.

Maybe some of us can even fix our lives.

Edited by Megasoup
  • Like 4

It definitely has been the recent theme of this thread and it's very fitting (no pun intended)

I think that's the thing I was missing these past couple years; I wasn't living a healthy lifestyle like I was from 2011-2015, and even in 2016 when I went on a "diet", it was very sporadic with a lot of drinking and bad eating in between, especially half of the year being my last months in college. Drinking once-twice a week didn't help at all. I still ran every week and exercised, but the eating part wasn't there and is why I was stagnant in 2016.

And last year, man I'm not even gonna lie, I didn't care. I drank a lot last year. Especially on my nights off when I was just sitting around at 2/3AM and there was beer or whiskey in my apartment, I would just kick a few back just because

This year so far, since January 1st, I have done a lot better and transitioned into better habits i.e. haven't drank in four weeks (maybe 3) and haven't bought any fast food in the past four weeks. And even though my weight is dropping slowly, I am feeling better. Couple people at work have even told me I'm losing weight and have noticed. That positive reinforcement definitely helps, it's not needed, but it's not negative by any means. Especially since I was getting so carried away that the past couple weeks I wasn't losing anything on the scale

All I need now.....is a goddman blender, holy crap I don't have a blender.

Edited by Nyte
  • Like 4

So today was kinda the first day my back feels like it's getting better. No pains or anything and stiffness was moderate. My hands are still kinda shaking occasionally but they always did that a little. I think i have some nerve damage in my hands from breaking them and yrs of boxing. 

I did some gentle joint mobility stuff this morning. Sort of like standing yoga meets Tai Chi. Basically very slow & controlled flow of joint bends, twist and joint circles from a few different stances paying attention to posture, aliment, rooting your center to the ground and flowing with the movement of your breath up and down the entire spine. I did it to this video but i didn't do the whole 3 hrs but just like 20-25 minutes. Was an extremely relaxing workout and with the music and visuals dare i say beautiful. 

I'll probably do a walk tomorrow for a few miles. Gonna be slow getting back to where i was with running and weights but i'm not gonna push it at all. 

• Like 1

Well I have maintained my level seven since the first day I did it. I think I'm overdoing it though because I'm in a lot of pain. Worse than when I started. And it should have been obvious to me because when I'm on the machine, it's like walking through thigh deep mud. Very slow and deliberate movements. I justified this by the amount of sweat I was producing. Basically a no pain no gain approach. Rarely winded though. Anyways, tomorrow I will scale back to a level 5 which still isn't exactly weaksauce. I'm not going to stress about it nor take it as defeat. It's been two weeks now and the difference in my overall size is insane. I'm dropping weight like crazy, to the point that if I keep this up, I'll be emaciated within a few months, if not sooner. I'm not a small boned girl. Wide in the shoulders and hips and I stand 5'8" with 36 inch legs. Because of this, my bones stick out quite quickly when I drop weight and it's not a good look overall. I've had to retire two pairs of jeans because they fall right off of me. I think moderation will be critical here. At first I thought I was just sore because I wasn't used to it, but it's become progressively worse. I'm still feeling very proud of myself and honestly, working out is keeping me sane right now. Better than any drug out there!

• Like 1

Well I have maintained my level seven since the first day I did it. I think I'm overdoing it though because I'm in a lot of pain. Worse than when I started. And it should have been obvious to me because when I'm on the machine, it's like walking through thigh deep mud. Very slow and deliberate movements. I justified this by the amount of sweat I was producing. Basically a no pain no gain approach. Rarely winded though. Anyways, tomorrow I will scale back to a level 5 which still isn't exactly weaksauce. I'm not going to stress about it nor take it as defeat. It's been two weeks now and the difference in my overall size is insane. I'm dropping weight like crazy, to the point that if I keep this up, I'll be emaciated within a few months, if not sooner. I'm not a small boned girl. Wide in the shoulders and hips and I stand 5'8" with 36 inch legs. Because of this, my bones stick out quite quickly when I drop weight and it's not a good look overall. I've had to retire two pairs of jeans because they fall right off of me. I think moderation will be critical here. At first I thought I was just sore because I wasn't used to it, but it's become progressively worse. I'm still feeling very proud of myself and honestly, working out is keeping me sane right now. Better than any drug out there!

Stick with with it but 4 sure don't be all gung ho about it. Exercise can be addictive but sometimes when you do too much your muscles won't feel it but it can tax your nervous system and you won't even realize it right away till it wears on you and suddenly not only are you not progressing but going backwards. Remind your pride/ego to stay at the door. If you need to go down to level 1 or take a day off here and there do it. 

36 inch legs  :o . At first i assumed you were talking about circumference and i was like HOLY linebacker legs. Then i realized it had to be leg length? Least i hope so. I have 25 inch legs myself @ 5 ft. 11 and they're pretty big for my body. I'm also 36 inch length from the floor to my hip socket.  

How do you measure? From the floor or from your ankle to hip socket. 

• Like 1

Stick with with it but 4 sure don't be all gung ho about it. Exercise can be addictive but sometimes when you do too much your muscles won't feel it but it can tax your nervous system and you won't even realize it right away till it wears on you and suddenly not only are you not progressing but going backwards. Remind your pride/ego to stay at the door. If you need to go down to level 1 or take a day off here and there do it.

36 inch legs :o . At first i assumed you were talking about circumference and i was like HOLY linebacker legs. Then i realized it had to be leg length? Least i hope so. I have 25 inch legs myself @ 5 ft. 11 and they're pretty big for my body. I'm also 36 inch length from the floor to my hip socket.

How do you measure? From the floor or from your ankle to hip socket.

I mean length! Lol

I'm taking that measurement based on the jeans I buy. I typically have a hard time buying any kind of pants that are long enough. My legs are long for my height. I don't have big legs though. My thighs are kinda "thick" is guess but I'm definitely no 36" circumference!

Edited by BEG
  • Like 1

Why are you constantly increasing the level? I'm not familiar with ellipticals, but can you stay at the same level and increase your pace?

• Like 1

Why are you constantly increasing the level? I'm not familiar with ellipticals, but can you stay at the same level and increase your pace?

I was trying to make my workouts more about building muscle than aerobic activity. I realize I need both and I went too far. My ultimate goal is to build muscle or at the very least retain what I have in my leg. I couldn't workout today either. Still way too sore. Specifically sore in my leg and back where the ruptured discs are. Tomorrow I think I'll be okay to get back on at a level five. It really is the perfect happy medium.

• Like 1

I was trying to make my workouts more about building muscle than aerobic activity. I realize I need both and I went too far. My ultimate goal is to build muscle or at the very least retain what I have in my leg. I couldn't workout today either. Still way too sore. Specifically sore in my leg and back where the ruptured discs are. Tomorrow I think I'll be okay to get back on at a level five. It really is the perfect happy medium.

I was thinking more like bicycle training, where cadence is huge. Increase your cadence, and everything kind of falls into place.

Cadence is the rate at which a cyclist pedals. It’s the number of pedal revolutions per minute (RPMs). If you increase and train your cadence, you’ll improve your cycling efficiency, allowing you to pedal for longer, faster.

Why?

When you pedal faster, you put less strain (i.e. force) on your muscles with each stroke. You ride in a lower gear, and as a result, use your slow-twitch muscles. These muscles burn fat for fuel, are resistant to fatigue, and recover quickly when allowed to rest. Also, studies show a higher cadence means an increase in blood flow to the muscles – which in turn, means more oxygen in the blood and a higher aerobic performance.

• Like 1

I was thinking more like bicycle training, where cadence is huge. Increase your cadence, and everything kind of falls into place.

Cadence is the rate at which a cyclist pedals. It’s the number of pedal revolutions per minute (RPMs). If you increase and train your cadence, you’ll improve your cycling efficiency, allowing you to pedal for longer, faster.[/size]

Why?

When you pedal faster, you put less strain (i.e. force) on your muscles with each stroke. You ride in a lower gear, and as a result, use your slow-twitch muscles. These muscles burn fat for fuel, are resistant to fatigue, and recover quickly when allowed to rest. Also, studies show a higher cadence means an increase in blood flow to the muscles – which in turn, means more oxygen in the blood and a higher aerobic performance.

I always understood that the slower the cadence and higher the resistance, the more muscle you build?

• Like 1

I always understood that the slower the cadence and higher the resistance, the more muscle you build?

Look at the thighs of a TDF rider and get back to me on that!

• Like 2

It works like this. 

More force exerted in less time = Building more muscle. 

i.e. Quick explosive Power lifter vs slower reps Bodybuilder. 

i.e. Sprinter vs. Jogger

i.e. 250 lb woman vs 90 lb woman walking a mile at a 5 min pace. < Same time here but who's exerting more in that time? 

^^ Which do you suppose is gonna be more muscular and who do you suppose is harder on their body?

@BEG don't get fixated on what you should & shouldn't be doing. All the advice's here consider but take with grain of salt. 

Do what feels right to you. Listen to your body and with your spine in the condition it is if it were me i'd pull it back some. i.e. save some for the next day so while your gains may come slower you're not beating your body down either. There's a thin line between steady progress over time and running yourself into the ground because you're grinding a little to HAM. It catches up to you. 

If you don't feel refreshed and ready to go the next day pull back your intensity or volume or rest up a day.

You're not a pro athlete. You're not gonna win a medal, a belt or million dollar contract. It's a simple formula. You always wanna leave something in reserve. No need to rush. Take your time and do it right. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 3

I'm not sure that slower cadence builds more muscle. I was just thinking that you might be training too hard, maybe you could work on basic fundamentals and ease off a little. Kind of like what we were telling Nyte, don't worry about bigger muscles, less fat, or whatever, instead, work on technique and the idea of making working out and fitness a normal part of your everyday life.

• Like 3

Went for a walk/ light jog to the track today. I probably shouldn't have done that. lol 

I can tell right now i'm gonna be a little sore tomorrow....maybe. Legs & hips are a little tight. Back held up...knock on wood. 

Oddly enough i wasn't out of breath at all. Granted my pace was slow and i didn't jog long but mostly walked. 

I feel good. I'm not following any program and I'm not necessarily hitting it all that hard right now. I'm just doing stuff. I'm getting my body ready for when I really kick it into high gear, my joints and tendons and whatnot. But I'm in no rush. I'm trying to get myself back in the habit. Lifestyle change.

Sometimes I run, if it's not that cold. Sometimes I take my bike to work, if it's not that cold. When I drive, my car is parked on mile away ( to avoid paying for parking) and I walk to get to it, then walk that same mile later on when I come home to get back. Sometimes I do push-ups and lunges and body squats. Sometimes I do pull ups and chair dips. I have these grips from Iron Mind to give my hands vice-like strength.

I shadow box. I stretch a lot, every day.

I'm just doing things. And I feel really good.

Edited by Megasoup
  • Like 1

Little bit sore but less than expected. Even lifted some weights a little yesterday evening. 

@Soup did you see Yoel's open workout. lol

• Like 1