Sign in to follow this  
Megasoup

Classicboxer's 2018 Fitness and Training Goals

Did some resistance bands, stability ball exercises and some stretching last night. Nothing tew srs just a nice little pump and some relaxed light work. 

Just got back from jogging to track just now. Was winded which sucked but then i got my second wind and felt good. Had some pain towards the end in my hip and back but my mind is going to convince my back to act right or else is my attitude now. I'm tired of it telling me how i should act so it better shape up or ship the fk out. 

It's decided. Back feels don't matter. That's the path of death and h8. Mind over matter that's the path of life and love. 

NOTHING is gonna stop my grind. I stay grindin' i stay inspired. 

Regards fam

SG

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 2

I get a Baker's cyst behind my right knee if I'm not careful. Squat thrusts will bring them right on, which is a shame because I think that's one hell of a good exercise to build explosiveness and quickness.

Anyway, I wasn't being so careful and was adding squat thrusts to my warm up because I just want it all. I want that agility and explosiveness. And my knee started acting right up, right on the spot. RICE works really well for this, but I was just starting to work out, so I don't have time for that. Besides, I don't have ice in this room. I don't have anything to compress it either. But I needed to address this right away. So...

I grabbed a towel and did a makeshift tourniquet right on my knee. It pushed the fluid right back in, instantaneously and like it never happened. Totally made this up on the spot. I'm a freaking genius.

Edited by RonaldMcDonald

Anyway, the workout today is built around the push-up. But I want to change it up a little, confuse my muscles a bit.

In place of regular, 'ole push-ups, I'm doing wide-arm push-ups and I'm doing them off of my dumbbells so that I have that extra couple inches range of motion. Also, I'm pausing at the bottom for a couple seconds. They suck.

Instead of doing dumbbell flyes off my end-table, i'm doing good old-fashioned dips. To achieve this, I have one hand on my bathroom sink and my other hand on the back of a chair. Eh, it achieves the same thing.

Everything else is about the same, push-ups with my feet on the seat of a chair, dumbbell presses, yada-yada. But I did add kettle/bell swings at the end. Those that peddle every other get-fit-quick scheme swear by them as though they are magical and will transform you into Arnold Schwarzenegger himself. I freaking doubt this, but I'm sure they're not gonna hurt anything, so I'll do them for a few workouts, at least.

JHnzcl5.png

Come at me Bubba!!

277k this month with 2605m of gain. Also today I ran my first sub 2 hours HM (during training, not in a race) so far I have reached all the goals I set from the beginning, now I just have to finish a marathon this year, and the icing on the cake would be the 45 mins 10k that I am training for right now.

My weight is on point now I have leveled at 75 kg which i thought was a bit low for me but I look fine, I have always tended to be on the skinny side anyways (I'm 193 cm), working on my legs, core and mobility and some foam rolling spread during the week and stretching daily.

Totals for this year so far:

Distance: 680 km

Elevation: 6639

Edited by amunera
  • Like 4

JHnzcl5.png

Come at me Bubba!!

277k this month with 2605m of gain. Also today I ran my first sub 2 hours HM (during training, not in a race) so far I have reached all the goals I set from the beginning, now I just have to finish a marathon this year, and the icing on the cake would be the 45 mins 10k that I am training for right now.

My weight is on point now I have leveled at 75 kg which i thought was a bit low for me but I look fine, I have always tended to be on the skinny side anyways (I'm 193 cm), working on my legs, core and mobility and some foam rolling spread during the week and stretching daily.

Congrats on killing it. If you look at that graph i see lots of middle fingers. lol

Eat his dust Bubba. haha

• Like 1

i attended bottle study hard as a mfer last night and today i find myself running laps to the bathroom to pray to the toilet gods

yeah perhaps chasing an 8 pack of beer with a mickey of whiskey wasnt exactly a good idea. but its been giving me quite a bit of a workout. i cant remember what i ate last night but it sure didnt look very pleasant coming back up. 

yeah i dont think ill be doing much else for exercise today. im aboot ready to go back to bed

Edited by -idyb-

Checked my weight today, last checked on the 12th, down 2 more pounds. Not huge, but in the right direction.

25 pounds since November. By end of April I shall make it 30 pounds!

• Like 1

Happy l8 birthday. Glad you're making progress. 

Feel you on the stir crazy thing. Since i hurt my back i quit my main job. Lot of time on my hands & not much of a clue to do with myself. Not being able to do much physically either i took it in stride at first but it's kinda driving me up the walls now. 

No main job currently besides my art/graphics stuff. < I'm good though i have plenty money saved but had to dip in my savings which i don't like that at all. I kinda went hermit with my social life hanging out with friends < I don't mind that so much but being alone almost all the time ain't cool. 

Haven't had a GF since last Nov. Haven't even looked really although I've wanted to. < This kills me because lately i'm in love with the idea of falling in love again, maybe settling down if we're even half right + circumstances are right i'm very game for that.  

Lost most of my fitness gainz, started comfort eating, smoking a lot more including pot occasionally to combat stress, boredom, pain and lack of sleep. So yeah my self esteem is in the toilet right now. Sounds worse than i made it sound there & i can still laugh, carry on enjoying myself most of the time but yeah my life right now is indeed in the dumps sometimes. 

IDK why i'm telling you all this but i guess i just needed to get that off my chest. Don't mind me just talking to my inner psychic. She/He knows what to do...lol

tumblr_n251kqxvBk1r1e8vfo6_500.gif

Perhaps because I'm a girl. Most guys I talk to will open up to me much more readily than they would other guys. Although at the same time you're telling the entire fora, so maybe that's not it at all. Lmfao

But yeah, isolation is not healthy. In many ways I'm lucky because I have the various trials and tribulations of having 14 and 20 year old daughters and all the drama that entails to keep me busy mentally. There's never a dull moment between the two of them. I thank God for them every day. At the same time, I'm into year three of this and I will say that it is a conscious choice to be happy each and every day. I'm not always successful. I cut myself the appropriate amount of slack, cry if I need to and then move on though. Half an hour of pity is what I allow myself tops or it consumes you. I joined about 4 closed Facebook groups for people with the various conditions I have (they are diseases really, but just saying that word...the negative connotation around that...it can become a self fulfilling prophecy if you let it) anyways, there are people in two of these groups who have killed themselves. Actually confirmed legit suicide because of the unrelenting pain. So for me, awareness of that slippery slope of not letting your situation define you is critical. Mind over matter MATTERS. It's like I tell my girls all the time. Life is tough, you gotta be tougher. Everybody's got a story that will break your heart.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday! You're supposed to make a birthday thread!

Thank you so much! Make your own birthday thread? That's like throwing your own birthday surprise party. Lol

Checked my weight today, last checked on the 12th, down 2 more pounds. Not huge, but in the right direction.

WOW! That's fantastic progress. Good for you!!

• Like 1

Lol, amunera is absolutely killing it! I'm well impressed mate. I'll check my details later but it ain't even in your ball park.

Good work also Nyte!

• Like 3

Lol, amunera is absolutely killing it! I'm well impressed mate. I'll check my details later but it ain't even in your ball park.

Good work also Nyte!

Thanks m8 in the end is all thanks to you, if it weren't for your encouragement and advice at the beginning I would not be running at all!

April will be the month my mileage peaks, probably close to 300k, may is taper and 2 races, June and July I'll probably take off from running to rebuild strength and get rid of a niggle I currently have on my left heel, and the end of the year will be a 16 weeks block to train for a marathon which I have not decided where yet :)

I have come to realize that the most amazing part of distance runners are not the actual races but the training itself, keeping this consistency is freaking though (and they run in a week what I run in a month, LOL). If I were working now I would barely have time for anything other than running and sleeping, I'll see how it goes on the second half of the year when I start working again.

Edited by amunera
  • Like 1

i attended bottle study hard as a mfer last night and today i find myself running laps to the bathroom to pray to the toilet gods

yeah perhaps chasing an 8 pack of beer with a mickey of whiskey wasnt exactly a good idea. but its been giving me quite a bit of a workout. i cant remember what i ate last night but it sure didnt look very pleasant coming back up. 

yeah i dont think ill be doing much else for exercise today. im aboot ready to go back to bed

Skip the whiskey next time. One of these days you're going to throw up something you actually need. lol

Congrats Nyte. keep at it buddy. 

• Like 1

I hope everyone's been working out.

I'm finna do this yoga session right now. Doubt i'll do the whole hr cause i did light shadow boxing and some swissball stuff yesterday night but something is better than nothing. 

I did half of this one a few weeks ago & my back is finally feeling much better. I'm sorta "almost" healed now enough to start running again. It's feeling a lot better now knock on wood. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 2

Just finished up. Didn't go the full hr and a lot of stuff i couldn't do so i had to do substitute poses. Felt pretty good though. 

• Like 1

JHnzcl5.png

Come at me Bubba!!

Hmm, so my results this month were 80 miles (130k) with 5633 feet (1800M) of gain.

Total this year:

Distance: 405 km

Elevation: 5500

Is 300 KM enough of a head-start Amunera ;-)

April is where things kick in for me.  I had hoped to run a bit more ytd, but a combination of horrendous weather, being ill for the first time in 3 years, and focusing a bit more on upper body have limited me a tad.  With my first ultra less than 7 weeks away, I'm going to kick the training up a notch.  Running a marathon with Mrs Sparks on Thursday as a bit of training, and will start doing a 20 miler every week between now and the ultra.  50 miler in May, 54 miler in June, hilly marathon in July, then JMT hike in August.

Actually, I looked at my biggest ever running year, and you're almost 100K ahead of where I was after March, so hats off to you mate.  If all you've got is a slight heel niggle then you must be doing a lot of things right!

• Like 3

Hmm, so my results this month were 80 miles (130k) with 5633 feet (1800M) of gain.

Total this year:

April is where things kick in for me.  I had hoped to run a bit more ytd, but a combination of horrendous weather, being ill for the first time in 3 years, and focusing a bit more on upper body have limited me a tad.  With my first ultra less than 7 weeks away, I'm going to kick the training up a notch.  Running a marathon with Mrs Sparks on Thursday as a bit of training, and will start doing a 20 miler every week between now and the ultra.  50 miler in May, 54 miler in June, hilly marathon in July, then JMT hike in August.

Actually, I looked at my biggest ever running year, and you're almost 100K ahead of where I was after March, so hats off to you mate.  If all you've got is a slight heel niggle then you must be doing a lot of things right!

A marathon "as a bit of training". Just had to stop and appreciate how elite those running skills are. Well done sir Bubba. That's cool that you and the missus will be running together as well.

amunera, your tracking app and stats have inspired me to transfer my weight lifting logs digitally and come up with some charts/graphs for this block. Keep up the great work m8.

Unfortunately, I've been stricken with a chest infection past couple weeks so the workouts have been nothing to write home about. All volume and intensity had to be scaled wayyyyyyy back. Now that I've recovered I'm going to start pushing things.

One area that has excelled though despite the illness is I've been crushing it at the rink past few weeks. Stretching more from the weightlifting has helped for sure. Came close to doing the splits a few times without incident.

• Like 2

Total this year:

I'll keep you at bay April and May I would say, but you'll catch up in June and July for sure since I won't be running, then it is a question of consistency until the end of the year :P

The niggle I am unsure whether it is symptoms of plantar fasciitis or aquiles tendonitis, but I keep complementing with a bit of strength and mobility so hopefully it will keep being just a niggle until my races (10k on May 16 and half marathon on May 28) are done, after that I will heal it properly :D

A marathon "as a bit of training". Just had to stop and appreciate how elite those running skills are. Well done sir Bubba. That's cool that you and the missus will be running together as well.

amunera, your tracking app and stats have inspired me to transfer my weight lifting logs digitally and come up with some charts/graphs for this block. Keep up the great work m8.

Unfortunately, I've been stricken with a chest infection past couple weeks so the workouts have been nothing to write home about. All volume and intensity had to be scaled wayyyyyyy back. Now that I've recovered I'm going to start pushing things.

One area that has excelled though despite the illness is I've been crushing it at the rink past few weeks. Stretching more from the weightlifting has helped for sure. Came close to doing the splits a few times without incident.

yeah, for me being able to track what I do is 95% of the battle, if I could not monitor my stats and improvements I would have given up by now I think.

• Like 2

Sigh....pulled my back again bad today. Back to square one. Felt good this morning, went for a walk this afternoon got about a mile in then suddenly it locks up then horrible shooting pain in my left lumbar, hip, down my whole leg all the way to my foot. 

It's not like i'm even doing anything that strenuous either. I can do moderate physical activity and be just fine for weeks and I've been careful not over due anything but every time it starts feeling better i seem to pull it again doing some everyday kinda mundane task. 

This $hit is really starting to take it's toll on me 4 real.

• Like 2

Sigh....pulled my back again bad today. Back to square one. Felt good this morning, went for a walk this afternoon got about a mile in then suddenly it locks up then horrible shooting pain in my left lumbar, hip, down my whole leg all the way to my foot.

It's not like i'm even doing anything that strenuous either. I can do moderate physical activity and be just fine for weeks and I've been careful not over due anything but every time it starts feeling better i seem to pull it again doing some everyday kinda mundane task.

This $hit is really starting to take it's toll on me 4 real.

I can't relate but don't let it get you down too much homie. Have you had it looked over by a doctor or anything?

• Like 1

I can't relate but don't let it get you down too much homie. Have you had it looked over by a doctor or anything?

Not yet i'm not one of those people that goes to the doc about everything. They're just gonna throw pills at me & tell me go see a physical therapist. 

I've had this before but never this long. It keeps messing up though and hasn't fully healed since mid-late Jan so i might have to. 

• Like 1

Not yet i'm not one of those people that goes to the doc about everything. They're just gonna throw pills at me & tell me go see a physical therapist. 

I've had this before but never this long. It keeps messing up though and hasn't fully healed since mid-late Jan so i might have to. 

It might be time to see the doc, brotha. I went to a physio therapist once for bicep tendonitis. I had the same mindset as you but ended up being very impressed with the care and results of the physio. 

Of course, having coverage so the bill wasn't astronomical was a factor as well. 

• Like 1

Problem could be if it is not something muscular, maybe a pinched nerve? or what do I know, I am also one to not go to a doctor at all, but if it starts hurting out of the blue and especially in a person that is fit, then I would consider going to a doctor just for the sake of it :)

Hope you get well anyways :D

• Like 1

Update on my back. Don't wanna jump the gun but it's feeling slightly better since i re-rekt it. 

I'm still on a cane right now but i can move a little better and not in as much pain. My torso/hips/spine is off to one side and it hurts to straighten as this point. I'm gonna start doing some joint mobility to work that out but no real exercise at all right now or for i while even if i feel i can. 

One day at a time. 

• Like 2

I don't like leg day, I've never liked leg day. No one honestly likes leg day.

I will skip leg day without giving much of a damn because I ride a bike and I might throw a couple sets of legs on a day I'm working on something else. I have naturally decent sized legs.

I do them sometimes, pretty much when I have a gym membership and have access to an Olympic barbell and a squat rack. I'll do them regularly if I have all that stuff. But I typically don't have a gym membership so I just won't do them. I will admit this is lazy. I pay the price by not being a strong as I should be.

That is changing. I give all the credit to the Bulgarian split squat. About 90% of the weight goes to only a single leg at a time. With 40 pound dumbbell in each hand, that's a decent amount of weight and it doesn't take long to go to failure, unlike the tedious and endless body squats or lunges.

After a few sets to failure, you won't be doing endless dumbbell squats or goblet squats because your legs are gonna be pretty wore out. Maybe too wore out to be riding a bike all the time.

• Like 1

Chicken leg Soup.

Nah, my legs are fine. They go with the rest of my body and I can squat a good amount, more than most people in the gym and lower than everybody. I just haven't worked them out the way I have the rest of my body, just relying on lucky genetics.

Nah, my legs are fine. They go with the rest of my body and I can squat a good amount, more than most people in the gym and lower than everybody. I just haven't worked them out the way I have the rest of my body, just relying on lucky genetics.

photo-395217.png?_r=1523384665

You call that nose, "lucky genetics"?

• Like 1

photo-395217.png?_r=1523384665

You call that nose, "lucky genetics"?

I call it a nose that's been broken a few times!

I'm like the John Bernthal of the UFC forum.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup

alright ive been procrastinating on this too long. but im gonna bring both of my good mountain bikes into the shop today and get them fixed up and running like new again. 

oh man my wallet is probably gonna take a hit. i only wanted to bring in my devinci johnson cause i mostly use that for all my riding and it needs a fair bit of work done, but my norco sasquatch needs a bit of work too and i might want to use that this summer for some distance riding. my norco is only a hardtail tho which sucks on the a$$ after a while,but it doesnt weigh like 50 god damn pounds like my downhill bike and its not a god damn chore to push it on flat ground or even the slightest grade of uphill, so i might want to take that out for a couple trips this summer. or  maybe try to find a friend to come riding with me and they can just use that bike.

i dont know how im gonna be able to squeeze both of these things into my small little car. its hard enough just to fit one in after taking the wheels off. my johnson is huge!  so i might have to make two trips

either way ive slacked off enough this winter and im getting god damn fat. so im gonna get the wheels back in motion to get these wheels back in in motion.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

Man in 18 days I'm home. Which means in 19 days I can get back into fitness and back into the thread.

My plan is to hit the gym four times a week. All before work. I work out much better in the morning. I'm also planning on getting back into 5 aside football. On top of the gym I'm gonna get a pull up bar for my place and smash pull ups and press ups on the weekend. I'll be hitting it hard. I can't wait.

• Like 4

took my bikes into the shop to get them all ready for the riding season,  but apparently i wasnt the only one that had that idea

we only have two respectable bike shops in this city, one of which was closed early tonight and is extremely overpriced and their staff isnt as knowledgeable, so of course i go to the other place, and it turns out they are completely overloaded with work

its gonna take two weeks for them to even be able to take a look at my chit. because the shop is all booked up and full of bikes already

i guess thats what i get for living in a mountain bikers haven where everybody and their dog have bikes and want to go out and ride.    i could always try the other place but im probably going to have to spend more than id like to. so i'm pretty f*cked here. im just gonna wait the two weeks and then bring my chit in ive already booked it now, but its gonna take a few weeks after that just for them to order and receive and install all the extra parts i want for my devinci

i could be looking at the end of may before i can even get a good ride in.  maybe a little earlier on my norco im not gonna bother having  much done with that bike it really just needs the hydraulics bled  but its my devinci that needs some work and ive been holding out on for so long, and i guess i shouldnt have waited all winter to take it in. i didnt think this would ever be a problem. every other time ive went there to get a bike worked on they were able to take it in on the spot and have it done in just a couple of days

Edited by -idyb-

Have hit April hard.  Run with the missus threatened to go badly wrong as she hadn't trained and was struggling badly after 10 miles but I persuaded her that having a foot v train race would be a fun way to spend our anniversary, so I dropped her off at a station after 15 miles and ran another 9 miles back.  Felt pretty good considering it was my longest run for 8 months.  Going to do a 20+ once a week for the next four weeks to do some intensive training for my first ultra, which is just over 5 weeks away.

Went away to Spain for a long weekend, but managed to put in a good 10 mile hike, do a bit of a workout in the flat and had an impromptu run up a mountain whilst the missus had a kip!

Where you at Amunera???

• Like 3

118 k so far, I am trying to decide whether to push a bit more or to x-train on the bike for a couple of days to reduce the load on my heel. Will see how this week ends :)

• Like 2

Amazing video! Totally rolled into relevant to the elbow pain that I've been experiencing for years. I tried a couple of the adjustments that he mentioned at the start of the video and did set after set of pull-ups without any of the normal pain associated.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2_1ylJ-9twY

I've gone from weak to strong in the pull-ups a few times before and the fastest gains I had was the last time I was in jail. It makes sense because I had to do them from the TV stand, and I wasn't able to hook my grip. I would just hang from my fingers that were outstretched flat on the TV stand. That kept that tendon in my elbow relaxed and put all the stress on the larger, more capable muscles. I got to where I was doing 30 reps in each set within a couple months.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup

I'm doing pull ups again.

After watching the video I posted, just consciously ensuring that my wrists don't get involved in the exercise has done a great deal in easing the inflammation in my elbow.

I've also just started incorporating use of Expand-your-hand bands, which I got from Ironmind. This works see extensors, which helps to eliminate the in balance which often causes tendinitis in the elbow.

so i brought my main bike in for service, and its gonna cost like 700 bucks for all the chit i need done on it and the mechanic says im better off just buying another bike  and hes right.   i want something more for all mountain dual suspension style of bike thats light and good for hits plus distance but they dont have much for used bikes in that department right now and the new ones are well over my price range,. but they offered me a sweet deal on another downhill bike, its a norco atomik with triple crown rock shox boxxers up front and a fox rear shock which felt good too.   butits still kind of heavy and also only meant for downhill, so its gonna suck for pedalling just as much as my devinci johnson that i was trying to get fixed.

im gonna keep my devinci because it still works alright but i wont trust it for downhill and long distance riding anymore even though i know it still has life on it despite a bunch of issues.  but im having a beer and about to pick up the new norco and then ill worry about the logistics of trying to fit a 4th bike in the shed

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

this new ride is pretty sweet but now i definately cant fit any more mountain bikes in the shed.  im just happy though at least i got an a bike i can smash around on the hills and trails this summer. kinda bummed i couldnt get more of an all mountain bike instead of another downhill bike, but for the price this is the best im gonna find in town and its got some pretty decent parts on it.

cSGdngT.jpg

QYuUc0s.jpg

Edited by -idyb-

alright so now that im not so drunk any more im gonna get my chit all geared up and get a ride in. got a 42 kilometer route planned out here  should be rather simple and easy. i dont think ill have to worry about snow or mud and rivers from all the melting runoff in this section either cause its not so elevated.    just gotta wait for the beer store to open and then i can head out

gotta see how the new bike holds out after i huck it off a few nice drops but mainly i just wanna give these legs a stretch and peppered for some serious riding in the not too distant future. i been lazy as fook this winter but i think its time to start working off the calories

Edited by -idyb-

i went south this time along our other lake. if u look north u can almost see my city. and i was at about the same elevation too

xyvH4Jr.jpg

but this one was an easy ride i rode across lakebed the whole time pretty much. beautiful day. and i only got caught up in mountain runoff once., its pretty low elevation the whole way across. this bike is really nice. i havent hucked it off anything crazy yet but i can already feel from riding it that its well built and itll handle pretty much anything id want to throw at it so im happy with it. solid bike.  

Edited by -idyb-

So April has come to an end, I have been paranoid with my achiles heel so I reduced the load on running a bit, should have hit close to 300k this month but in the end got 260k, those missing 40k I doubled and did on a bike to keep the fitness without the impact.

T5pqG9q.png

Wgdhril.png

Month totals:

Running: 260.3 km

Elevation gain: 2418 m

Cycling: 83 km

Yearly totals

Running: 940.5 km

Elevation: 9058 m

So I have also officially climbed the height of the Everest this year already.

May will be my racing month, training will be a bit lower, hopefully I will hit both my goals in the 10k and the half-marathon :)

• Like 2