• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

#451 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,158 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

So April has come to an end, I have been paranoid with my achiles heel so I reduced the load on running a bit, should have hit close to 300k this month but in the end got 260k, those missing 40k I doubled and did on a bike to keep the fitness without the impact.

T5pqG9q.png
Wgdhril.png

Month totals:
Running: 260.3 km
Elevation gain: 2418 m
Cycling: 83 km

Yearly totals
Running: 940.5 km
Elevation: 9058 m

So I have also officially climbed the height of the Everest this year already.

May will be my racing month, training will be a bit lower, hopefully I will hit both my goals in the 10k and the half-marathon :)

Another impressive month. I'm going out for a short run later so will check totals after that. What are your goals in the 10k and hm? Best race I ever ran was a half marathon.
  • amunera likes this

#452 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

45 mins 10k, HM initial goal was anything sub 2 but I have run 2 sub 2 HM already during training, so I want to aim for 1:50, but it will depend how beat up I am after the 10k. 

I am not a fast person so those 4:30 min/km splits for the 10k are still a bit daunting, I know I can run it but it will be painful for sure :P

• Bubba_Sparks likes this

Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#453 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,158 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

45 mins 10k, HM initial goal was anything sub 2 but I have run 2 sub 2 HM already during training, so I want to aim for 1:50, but it will depend how beat up I am after the 10k. 

I am not a fast person so those 4:30 min/km splits for the 10k are still a bit daunting, I know I can run it but it will be painful for sure :P

I reckon your 10k time is more ambitious than your HM time. How far apart are they?  If you nail 45 minutes for your 10k and are recovered, sub 1:45 might be in reach.  Both my PB's were on hilly courses ('cos I never run flat!), but my 10K is 44:50ish and my HM is 1:42ish.

Pacing the HM right is the tricky thing; you want to run the first 7 miles fairly comfortably. Then start reeling people in for the next 5 miles and then smash it for the last mile.  I only ran my PB by mistake - entered a race in March the first year I started training for my ultra just to see how fit I was. Got chatting to a bloke in the first half mile and we just bumbled along for the first 7 miles together before we realised we were doing a decent time.  Gradually cranked it up more and more and ended up going 10 minutes quicker than I'd ever gone before.

It does hurt though pushing that hard for that length of time :(

#454 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,158 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

Anyway, my month has been pretty decent; ran a lot more this month, but kept the gym up...normally I slack off in April because I'm running so much, but managed to keep going down there twice a week.  Had a great run on Saturday; did 20 miles in a shade over 3 hours.  Felt pretty good to be honest; don't usually run `fast', but decided to really push it instead of a typical trudge.

Sadly, it's now Amunera 4, Bubba 0 though.  My running stats for the month are:-

Distance - 158 miles (253 KM)

Elevation - 13,007 feet (4,000 M)

YTD:-

Distance - 408 miles (652 KM)

Elevation - 31,000 feet (9200 M)

So I'm almost 300KM behind you now, although a couple of hundred metres higher :)

First race of the year in 3 weeks; 50 miles.  Will be interesting to see how I get on having trained a lot less than usual.

#455 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

I reckon your 10k time is more ambitious than your HM time. How far apart are they?  If you nail 45 minutes for your 10k and are recovered, sub 1:45 might be in reach.  Both my PB's were on hilly courses ('cos I never run flat!), but my 10K is 44:50ish and my HM is 1:42ish.

Pacing the HM right is the tricky thing; you want to run the first 7 miles fairly comfortably. Then start reeling people in for the next 5 miles and then smash it for the last mile.  I only ran my PB by mistake - entered a race in March the first year I started training for my ultra just to see how fit I was. Got chatting to a bloke in the first half mile and we just bumbled along for the first 7 miles together before we realised we were doing a decent time.  Gradually cranked it up more and more and ended up going 10 minutes quicker than I'd ever gone before.

It does hurt though pushing that hard for that length of time  :(

yeah I have been training for the 10k and hoping the fitness will carry over, but have not done any specific HM training, they are 10 days apart :P

my pacing strategy was more or less what you say, run about 5:20 for the first 12-13k and then start picking up the pace to around 4:50 min/k 

Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#456 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

I found a pair of rusty 60 pound dumbbells on craigslist which I'm picking up tomorrow, a much more realistic weight if I want to build some muscle. With a 60 pound dumbbell in each hand, hopefully I'll be able to rebuild the strength I need.

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#457 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 10,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

31766286_2114748991930699_58450000250960

Its not going well lads lol

• StompGrind, Bubba_Sparks and amunera like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#458 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts
  • LocationChamp Champs home state

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

31766286_2114748991930699_58450000250960

Its not going well lads lol

Me: Do you even lift bro?
Back: F U
Me: How about a jog?
Back: Double F U with cheese as lube & bacon on top!
Me: Can we at least do some yoga or joint mobility.....please? 
Back: Nagger please...
Me: We gotta do something. Can we do some swiss ball exercises and resistance bands?
Back: Are you TRYING to hurt me? 
Me: No i wanna make you feel better. Alright i'm gonna just fap then. I'm feeling like huge donk POV pawn today... * opens the hub*
Back: I feel like that every damn day & Dat @ss doe! Tempting deal is tempting. Ok it's on. 
Me: Wanna smoke after and cook something to eat? 
Back: You really know how to treat a person in need don't you? I luh you <3
Me: I do & luh you too. Can we go for a walk later? It will help with digestion and i'll even give you a nice shower & massage after. 
Back: Always a catch huh? I'm not surprised mutha fk'er. 
Me. Alright well how about some art and reading to stimulate our mind at least and we can watch some mindless you tube after? 
Back: I can't sit for long periods of time. 
Me: Sigh....I'm gonna fkn kill you if you don't stop stressing me out. 
Back: Not if i kill ya first ha. >C8WLs8NXoAEOCAp.jpg
Me: SMFH. I didn't wanna do this but that's it. I'm breaking up with you. 

• ReturnoftheSoup likes this

e323249005db0bcda6fa34bce037f98e.jpg

#459 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

Me: Do you even lift bro?
Back: F U
Me: How about a jog?
Back: Double F U with cheese as lube & bacon on top!
Me: Can we at least do some yoga or joint mobility.....please?
Back: Nagger please...
Me: We gotta do something. Can we do some swiss ball exercises and resistance bands?
Back: Are you TRYING to hurt me?
Me: No i wanna make you feel better. Alright i'm gonna just fap then. I'm feeling like huge donk POV pawn today... * opens the hub*
Back: I feel like that every damn day & Dat @ss doe! Tempting deal is tempting. Ok it's on.
Me: Wanna smoke after and cook something to eat?
Back: You really know how to treat a person in need don't you? I luh you <3
Me: I do & luh you too. Can we go for a walk later? It will help with digestion and i'll even give you a nice shower & massage after.
Back: Always a catch huh? I'm not surprised mutha fk'er.
Me. Alright well how about some art and reading to stimulate our mind at least and we can watch some mindless you tube after?
Back: I can't sit for long periods of time.
Me: Sigh....I'm gonna fkn kill you if you don't stop stressing me out.
Back: Not if i kill ya first ha. >C8WLs8NXoAEOCAp.jpg
Me: SMFH. I didn't wanna do this but that's it. I'm breaking up with you.

Try kettle bell swings.

You know me, I'm old-school and boring when it comes to working out. I don't like gimmicks or fads or the latest thing. But for whatever reason, I guess because I don't really have a lot of equipment or anything, I started doing kettle bell swings all the time. That'll probably fix your back right up.
  • StompGrind likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#460 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

Try kettle bell swings.

You know me, I'm old-school and boring when it comes to working out. I don't like gimmicks or fads or the latest thing. But for whatever reason, I guess because I don't really have a lot of equipment or anything, I started doing kettle bell swings all the time. That'll probably fix your back right up.

I have a kettlebell. I could probably do some swings sometimes but i don't wanna risk doing any shearing ballistic kinda stuff right now that puts a lot of stress on my lumbar and hips. I don't have the strength or ROM right now for that. I'm not gonna test that i know i'd fail catastrophically eventually and be literally laid up for a week at least. 

My main issue right now is much like my mood as of late how my back feels varies greatly from day to day and even sometimes throughout the day. I simply can't handle much volume or dynamic high intensity anything without aggravating it so i'm very limited in what i can do.

I have to pay close attention to everything i'm doing from sleep, any repetitive physical activities or sedentary things that may aggravate it, even my emotional state/stress that i may hold on to that eventually manifest in the body, along with diet as well. EVERYTHING plays a factor. I'm more keenly aware of that than i ever was before. 

Edited by StompGrind, 03 May 2018 - 02:59 PM.

#461 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

The 60 pound dumbbells were a great purchase, I really needed them.
  • NoCakeForYaya likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#462 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,663 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

Started doing a new press up cool down.

Basically I just do my first press up and hold at the bottom for a second. Then on the next one I hold for three seconds, and just add two seconds onto the hold after each press up. Do this to failure. When done with really slow press ups it's a good little end to a workout and really works the chest. 

• ReturnoftheSoup and Bubba_Sparks like this

conair.gif?w=780

#463 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:52 AM

Started doing a new press up cool down.

Basically I just do my first press up and hold at the bottom for a second. Then on the next one I hold for three seconds, and just add two seconds onto the hold after each press up. Do this to failure. When done with really slow press ups it's a good little end to a workout and really works the chest.

I'll try this my next couple push-up workouts.

In the past I mostly would do several sets of straight push-ups to failure, and not much else for chest (away from gyms. You won't catch me doing a single push-up when I can do bench presses.)

Lately I've been doing less and less of that, and more dips and decline push-ups and dumbbell flyes on my nightstand. I will do three regular 'ole, standard-issue sets every other chest workout, and that's it. This looks like a neat thing to add, but I'll probably add some twist to it like doing it on the decline or doing it wide-hand(or narrow-hand.) I'm trying to avoid too many regular push-ups because I just **** hate them.
  • NoCakeForYaya likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#464 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,206 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:29 AM

Just started running recently, taking it seriously but I'm still in the early stages of training. Going from milestone to milestone at the moment to try and get in shape to run a marathon by this time next year.

Really only started 5 weeks ago. Quit smoking and drinking and started running.

I just completed my first 10k yesterday. It took 59m 41s. I had targeted 1h 06m at a slow jog but was ahead of my time so pushed a little bit faster the last couple of kilometres to get a sub 1 hour. Yeah I know, slow but we all gotta start somewhere and I'm mid 40s. Not using my age as any kinda excuse, just painting a clear picture of where I'm at.

My best 5k is currently 26m 31s and of course I'm seeking to improve on that.

I've been making the mistake that most newbs make and running too often. Giving myself no rest or recovery days because I'm enjoying it and probably a little over enthusiastic. I intend to remedy that by incorporating swimming into the mix three times a week. No goals for swimming, it's only to improve my cardio for running and give me exercise on my days off running.

Goals for the year are realistic. I'm not trying to compete or break any records except my own personal bests.

I want to run 5k sub 21min.
10k sub 48 min.
32.2k (20 miles) at any pace, though obviously faster than walking.

I use the Strava fitness app which I've found extremely helpful in both tracking myself and motivation. If any runners here use Strava hit me with a pm and I'll follow you.

Also using Samsung health and a galaxy gear fit 2 which are also very helpful.
  • amunera and classicboxer like this

Fight Club Prediction Championship: Grand Prix Winner and Final Champion (10-3)

UFC Prediction Grand Prix: Winner

UFC Survivor Series Tournament: Series Seven Winner

#465 classicboxer

classicboxer

THE KING OF THE FORUM

• Free
  • 19,034 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:22 AM

Just started running recently, taking it seriously but I'm still in the early stages of training. Going from milestone to milestone at the moment to try and get in shape to run a marathon by this time next year.

Really only started 5 weeks ago. Quit smoking and drinking and started running.

I just completed my first 10k yesterday. It took 59m 41s. I had targeted 1h 06m at a slow jog but was ahead of my time so pushed a little bit faster the last couple of kilometres to get a sub 1 hour. Yeah I know, slow but we all gotta start somewhere and I'm mid 40s. Not using my age as any kinda excuse, just painting a clear picture of where I'm at.

My best 5k is currently 26m 31s and of course I'm seeking to improve on that.

I've been making the mistake that most newbs make and running too often. Giving myself no rest or recovery days because I'm enjoying it and probably a little over enthusiastic. I intend to remedy that by incorporating swimming into the mix three times a week. No goals for swimming, it's only to improve my cardio for running and give me exercise on my days off running.

Goals for the year are realistic. I'm not trying to compete or break any records except my own personal bests.

I want to run 5k sub 21min.
10k sub 48 min.
32.2k (20 miles) at any pace, though obviously faster than walking.

I use the Strava fitness app which I've found extremely helpful in both tracking myself and motivation. If any runners here use Strava hit me with a pm and I'll follow you.

Also using Samsung health and a galaxy gear fit 2 which are also very helpful.

If you're going to do 20 miles, might as well do a marathon!

KD.gifKS.gif

#466 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,206 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:12 AM

If you're going to do 20 miles, might as well do a marathon!

Yep, marathon is the plan but not until spring 2019.
  • classicboxer likes this

#467 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

And unintended cornerstone of my daily physical fitness regimen is getting to my car. I live downtown and I can't afford to pay for parking, so I park a mile and a half away. Daily I must walk, run or ride my bicycle the round-trip, whether it be to go to work Ir to go to the store or just simply to check on my car and make sure that no one has broken into it. 3 miles every day just doing that.

I've been doing my hill sprints on the riverfront about three nights a week, and I do some sort of lifting almost every day. I quit drinking four months ago. I don't eat any donuts or candy bars or any sorts of delicious treats that I had in the past.

I'm getting quite a bit stronger and noticeably leaner. At 240 pounds, I was a big guy, and athletic guy, but I carried a little something extra in the middle. That stomach is gone now. My face is more defined. Everything is more defined.

I hadn't weighed myself anytime this year, so I was guessing it might be...220-ish? A lot of my working out his bodyweight, push-ups pull ups, dips, sprints, lunges. These are getting a lot easier and I'm doing a lot more reps, but it's hard to quantify because I've been losing weight. And I also don't know how much weight I've been losing, so that really makes progress tough to call.

I weighed myself last night. 237 pounds. I haven't lost doodley-squat, which I guess is okay.
  • StompGrind and Denizen like this

conair.gif?w=780

#468 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

And unintended cornerstone of my daily physical fitness regimen is getting to my car. I live downtown and I can't afford to pay for parking, so I park a mile and a half away. Daily I must walk, run or ride my bicycle the round-trip, whether it be to go to work Ir to go to the store or just simply to check on my car and make sure that no one has broken into it. 3 miles every day just doing that.

I've been doing my hill sprints on the riverfront about three nights a week, and I do some sort of lifting almost every day. I quit drinking four months ago. I don't eat any donuts or candy bars or any sorts of delicious treats that I had in the past.

I'm getting quite a bit stronger and noticeably leaner. At 240 pounds, I was a big guy, and athletic guy, but I carried a little something extra in the middle. That stomach is gone now. My face is more defined. Everything is more defined.

I hadn't weighed myself anytime this year, so I was guessing it might be...220-ish? A lot of my working out his bodyweight, push-ups pull ups, dips, sprints, lunges. These are getting a lot easier and I'm doing a lot more reps, but it's hard to quantify because I've been losing weight. And I also don't know how much weight I've been losing, so that really makes progress tough to call.

I weighed myself last night. 237 pounds. I haven't lost doodley-squat, which I guess is okay.

Weight is never the best indicator of health & fitness. I've been 175-178 before which is pretty much my natural weight and i was kinda skinny fat & felt like crap at the time. I've also been up to 188-194 was semi jacked without a pinch of body fat on me and felt great. 

Most i ever weighted was was around 206 back in the early 2000's when i re-injured my knee, stopped working out entirely and ate like a pig for a good 4-6 months. That was the fattest out of shape POS i've ever been. Even had a bit of a double chin.....ugggg it was horrible. Ever since that i still have fat in my face that's hard to get rid of and i get belly fat pretty easily if i don't watch my diet and stay active. 

Currently i'm at 178-182 & slightly skinny fat. My legs, arms, shoulders & back are still fairly defined.  Got a little bit of lower gut fat, some love handles and the ol' man tiddies are a little flabbier than i'd like but that'll all go away when i can start getting after it more. 

#469 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 13,531 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

ive seen some videos now and ive convinced myself that i need to find a local group in town to practice beer yoga with

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.

#470 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 13,531 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

alright f*ckers they calling for some glorious 27 degree weather tomorrow so im gonna get some riding in.    gonna grab a 15 pack of the cheapest beer i can find so i can get a head start and not have to wait for the beer store to open tomorrow morning before i can head out

gonna work those calories off in no time. gonna see how the new norco handles a moderate climb. the first half is all kind of uphill but shouldnt be that hard. at least after i get a bunch of beers in me.  but the return is fast.  itll be about a 72 kilometer round trip if i can manage to make it up to where i want to get to

itll probably take me all god damn morning and afternoon to get up there. bringing my lights just in case i decide  to farther and ride thru the night, or i get too drunk and lose track of time.    most people could do the ride in 3 or 4 hours and even the older f*ckers on their little carbon frame bikes with dinky little tires fly right by me on the trails when im climbing but i always stop alot for beer and joints, and im riding a heavy downhill bike which kinda sucks for even the slightest climb or even flat ground. so its probably gonna take me the better part of the day just to do it. but its better than just sitting on the couch tomorrow on a nice sunny day. 

Edited by -idyb-, 07 May 2018 - 09:39 PM.

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

#471 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:41 PM

Was such a nice day i went to the track today. 10 mile walk. Even jogged about 2 miles of that. Really slowed down my pace focused on my form to make sure i was doing really short strides and not clunking down at all so i don't agitate my hip/back. I'm guessing Bubba has that down to a science? 

Got a good burn in my legs. Was out of breath though slightly. My cardio sucks now haha. Anyway that's the first time i've been able to jog in over a month. Last time i did my back went out and i had to limp home for the a good mile  or two in pain the whole way. It really sucked. Anyway felt really good to get back out there even if i did take it easy. 

They also had some beautiful women out today to remind me i'm still a man. Got a smile and that desire look from one. That kinda look that instantly makes your T-levels rise. I probably should have stopped and chatted her up but i b!tched out like i do half the time when i see an opportunity to meet/talk to someone lol. 

#472 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

holy **** im beat. didnt quite make it as far as i wanted to go  this bike sucks donkey **** for climbing just like my johnson

i sure got back fast tho

Edited by -idyb-, 08 May 2018 - 08:25 PM.

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

#473 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

First ultra of the year on Saturday.  It's the first 50 miles of the 100 miler I did last year so how hard can it be??

Don't think i'm in the shape of my life, but feel kinda well rested after 10 days of reduced exercise.  Have decided this will be the first ultra i do in my luna's.  Could be interesting...vaseline now added to my kit list.

Amunera, when's your race?  Stomp...how's the back? Everyone else...how's it going?

• StompGrind and NoCakeForYaya like this

#474 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

First ultra of the year on Saturday.  It's the first 50 miles of the 100 miler I did last year so how hard can it be??

Don't think i'm in the shape of my life, but feel kinda well rested after 10 days of reduced exercise.  Have decided this will be the first ultra i do in my luna's.  Could be interesting...vaseline now added to my kit list.

Amunera, when's your race?  Stomp...how's the back? Everyone else...how's it going?

Was a little banged up day after that run i had but felt ok-ish. Still doing body weight circuit workouts since then at a moderate pace/intensity.

Lol my legs are getting a little skinny in comparison to my upper body because it's been a slow go to push it any more with squat, hinge or lunging movements with any sort of frequency be it volume or intensity so i loss some mass there but they're still very tone. Starting to look like i missed a few leg days which is a first for me. 

The sun/heat has been a life saver this past month. I really think my t-lvls went down a little when i was injured and was staying indoors a lot. I've literally noticed a difference in mood, how good it feels to sweat in the heat, libido is back to over 9000 haha so hide yo wife and my recovery is better as well. Not really having those days anymore where i feel weak, stressed, super moody and my nervous system feels taxed. 

Yesterday i even did some boxing on a mattress from my guest room bed. I don't have B.O.B. aka body opponent bag or any equipment to hit except gloves anymore and wanted something with more resistance than shadowboxing or tapping at a brick wall or a tree or something so i had to get creative lol. Upper back and lats are little sore but lumbar & hip feel surprisingly good. 

Goals right now are getting back into yoga and maybe running a few times a week depending on how i feel. I may go the opposite direction and slowly get into weight lifting & pre-hab kinda strengthening exercises a little more because i did some research and have a feeling my injury was probably more due to a strength deficiency in my back and i was probably a little too loose in my left lumbar & hip & focused on my "pretty" show muscles too much more than it was sleeping wrong & or a flexibility & tightness issue with my psoas. 

Anyway blathered too much and mostly about vanity lol. Good luck on your training and run m8. Good luck to everyone else too. Get after it and cease the day you pack of savages. 

Edited by StompGrind, 15 May 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#475 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

Tomorrow, not feeling too confident, but I will go for it! I'' let you know how it goes, if I do not post by Thursday is cause I died hahaha

• StompGrind and Bubba_Sparks like this

Fav:
conair.gif?w=780

#476 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

Tomorrow, not feeling too confident, but I will go for it! I'' let you know how it goes, if I do not post by Thursday is cause I died hahaha

Good luck amunera. Pls don't die ok. If you do though it's not a bad way to go i suppose lol. 

• amunera likes this

#477 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Good luck mate! This is your 10k right?

#478 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

Good luck mate! This is your 10k right?

yes, foreseeing 45 minutes of pain hahahaha Thanks m8s for the encouragement I'll sleep now :)

• StompGrind likes this

Fav:
conair.gif?w=780

#479 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

I have been working out every day. I cannot remember the last day that I have not worked out. Some days I push harder than others, but I fit it in every single day.

I'm limited because I don't go to a gym, but I've tried to make my approach mostly different than in the past. Some of them are subtle changes, some of them are bigger ones.

I start with the left hand or the left side on everything now. If I'm doing a bent over dumbbell row or a curl or a lunge or anything like that, I'm going to work out my left first. I don't know if this accomplishes anything.

My runs are mostly uphill sprints. They're not as pleasant, but in theory they are less taxing on a heavy, older body like mine. I think I've already covered that in this thread, though.

Kettle bell swings are new me. Bulgarian split squats are new to me. Certainly I have done shrugs before, but I've never made it a regular thing.

I have toe clips on this bike, which I've never had before. I've always wished I had bigger calves and now I have them.

The one and a half miles each way to get to my car every day. I bike it or walk it. Of course I've always rode my bicycle. I've always went on walks or runs. But this is 3 miles a day that is not even considered exercise. That's like some Third World ****. It is not part of my routine, but 3 miles every day, rain or shine. Not much I can do about the rain part.

One of the bigger changes is grip work. I got the captains of crush about a year ago, but I never really use them. I've done wrist curls before, but not often. I've never had expand-your-hand-bands or anything like that. But I've been doing all this **** fairly regularly all this year.

No one reads any of this ****.
  • StompGrind likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#480 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

I have been working out every day. I cannot remember the last day that I have not worked out. Some days I push harder than others, but I fit it in every single day.

I'm limited because I don't go to a gym, but I've tried to make my approach mostly different than in the past. Some of them are subtle changes, some of them are bigger ones.

I start with the left hand or the left side on everything now. If I'm doing a bent over dumbbell row or a curl or a lunge or anything like that, I'm going to work out my left first. I don't know if this accomplishes anything.

My runs are mostly uphill sprints. They're not as pleasant, but in theory they are less taxing on a heavy, older body like mine. I think I've already covered that in this thread, though.

Kettle bell swings are new me. Bulgarian split squats are new to me. Certainly I have done shrugs before, but I've never made it a regular thing.

I have toe clips on this bike, which I've never had before. I've always wished I had bigger calves and now I have them.

The one and a half miles each way to get to my car every day. I bike it or walk it. Of course I've always rode my bicycle. I've always went on walks or runs. But this is 3 miles a day that is not even considered exercise. That's like some Third World ****. It is not part of my routine, but 3 miles every day, rain or shine. Not much I can do about the rain part.

One of the bigger changes is grip work. I got the captains of crush about a year ago, but I never really use them. I've done wrist curls before, but not often. I've never had expand-your-hand-bands or anything like that. But I've been doing all this **** fairly regularly all this year.

No one reads any of this ****.

I read it. I don't go to a gym either and have to get creative with routines. There's great freedom and fun in that. 

I do that non dominant side thing as well. In the past though I've slacked on weaker areas cause i h8 doing it. It's catches up with you and it's so easy to fall in love with the stuff you like doing more i guess. 

I think it's generally a good idea to work on your weak side or weak parts first while you're freshest and making an effort to work on areas that don't respond as well or you h8 doing most. 

That's a good idea with everything really but people fear what they suck at so they usually don't work on their weaknesses as much. 

• ReturnoftheSoup and Bubba_Sparks like this

#481 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

Bittersweet day...

Race was cancelled due to bad weather, I was pretty upset, and went home to sulk, then talked with a friend and she was like why don't you run it by yourself right now...

So I did, 44:19 full race effort. Extremely happy with the result, a bit sad it was not in an official race, but who cares really, I run for myself mostly and to see what I am capable of. I trained for a 45 mins 10k and I achieved that goal :D

Edited by amunera, 16 May 2018 - 01:06 PM.

• Bubba_Sparks and Denizen like this

Fav:
conair.gif?w=780

#482 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,158 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

Bittersweet day...

Race was cancelled due to bad weather, I was pretty upset, and went home to sulk, then talked with a friend and she was like why don't you run it by yourself right now...

So I did, 44:19 full race effort. Extremely happy with the result, a bit sad it was not in an official race, but who cares really, I run for myself mostly and to see what I am capable of. I trained for a 45 mins 10k and I achieved that goal :D

That's a great effort mate. Respect. Tempted to grave dig those posts where you thought a 30 minute 5k might be your limit!

Shame the race was cancelled but like you say, a time is a time. How long have you got to recover for your hm? I think you're going to threaten 1:40 if you're recovered properly.
  • StompGrind and amunera like this

#483 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Bittersweet day...

Congrats! Yeah who cares if it wasn't official if you do it for yourself. I love this mentality BTW. i.e. do it for you when no one is around looking. One of the major reasons i can't stand going to the gym. I don't workout to show off or socialize. I do it cause it makes me feel good.  When Eclipse told me he was doing the bodybuilding thing as a b-day present to himself i thought that was sooo the right attitude and stuff like that always inspires me. 

I just put in 3 miles today myself. Ain't much but it was a decent pace & i'm starting to get back to base camp level fitness one day at a  time. Caught a little drizzle at the end which was nice & refreshing. 

Salute my fellow fitness champs! Stay on the grind. 

giphy.gif

• amunera likes this

#484 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

I am completely pissed off and full of rage, mid-workout. I'm usually in a very jolly mood, but I remember a time serval years ago when all I had going through me was pain and hate. I made excellent gains in strength and overall fitness. For a period of about a year I was almost superhuman.

And now I'm really pissed off.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup, 17 May 2018 - 01:03 AM.

conair.gif?w=780

#485 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 10,002 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:09 AM

Went to the gym last night, did not go well lol

giphy.gif

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#486 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:15 AM

I am completely pissed off and full of rage, mid-workout. I'm usually in a very jolly mood, but I remember a time serval years ago when all I had going through me was pain and hate. I made excellent gains in strength and overall fitness. For a period of about a year I was almost superhuman.

And now I'm really pissed off.

I rarely get angry & i never work out now when i'm angry. My mind is most definitely tew strong for what ever my body can handle especially that i'm older and don't recover like i used to and have wears and tears. Recipe for stupidity and getting injured for me. 

Went to the gym last night, did not go well lol

giphy.gif

...but you went. A fail is better than a not even try. 

#487 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

That's a great effort mate. Respect. Tempted to grave dig those posts where you thought a 30 minute 5k might be your limit!

Shame the race was cancelled but like you say, a time is a time. How long have you got to recover for your hm? I think you're going to threaten 1:40 if you're recovered properly.

Lol yeah I recall those posts, incredible what 1000 km do to your fitness hahahahaha

I have until the 27 of may, i wil rest today and tomorrow and treat the last week as if it were a taper week for a HM. I do not want to hurt too bad so I will aim for a 1:50, I will eventually race a hard HM, not this time :P

Fav:
conair.gif?w=780

#488 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

I rarely get angry & i never work out now when i'm angry. My mind is most definitely tew strong for what ever my body can handle especially that i'm older and don't recover like i used to and have wears and tears. Recipe for stupidity and getting injured for me.

I enjoy working out, so it's hard to be angry. But there are a lot of elite strength athletes who swear by it. Some of them will crank up the death metal music, but that is a little too much for me. I think it's kind of negative for you tell me i'm cooking up a batch of stupidity just because I am considering a new approach to fitness.
  • StompGrind likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#489 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

I enjoy working out, so it's hard to be angry. But there are a lot of elite strength athletes who swear by it. Some of them will crank up the death metal music, but that is a little too much for me. I think it's kind of negative for you tell me i'm cooking up a batch of stupidity just because I am considering a new approach to fitness.

I get some people use it to focus. I have before too because usually when i get pissed it's more determined calm kinda pissed not that animal rage sort of pissed. You specifically mentioned rage which i rarely ever get but when i do could do something stupid. 

LoL so yeah on the cooking up a batch of stupidity i said "for me" and was throwing it out there as something you may want to consider. 

#490 PlatinumClegg

PlatinumClegg

Somebody might die!

• Free
  • 20,956 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

Been sprinting two different sets of steep steps like Rocky.  Come at me, homies.

• StompGrind and Decompoze like this

LikableLittleGuernseycow-max-1mb.gif

Don't want to brag but I've done dong comparisons with white guys before

#491 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

I joggied again today. Just got back & boy am i pooped. It was FOOKING hot out there today. Unless you live on the equator don't talk to me about heat. It's like running in a sauna over here. I enjoyed every second though cause i'm such a masochist lol

My feet aren't used to running anymore. They're pretty sore. Felt like a million bucks taking my shoes off and hitting the shower. Think i'll take off tomorrow to recover because i have plans this weekend and i wanna be at my best. 

• Bubba_Sparks, amunera and PlatinumClegg like this

#492 PlatinumClegg

PlatinumClegg

Somebody might die!

• Free
  • 20,956 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

I joggied again today. Just got back & boy am i pooped. It was FOOKING hot out there today. Unless you live on the equator don't talk to me about heat. It's like running in a sauna over here. I enjoyed every second though cause i'm such a masochist lol

My feet aren't used to running anymore. They're pretty sore. Felt like a million bucks taking my shoes off and hitting the shower. Think i'll take off tomorrow to recover because i have plans this weekend and i wanna be at my best. 

I'm not in Louisiana but southeast TN got hot quick.  We just skipped right past spring.  Went out on the boat May 12th and 13th.  Felt like June 12th.  89 and humid.

How did you wreck your back?  My back and neck are both trashed from that savage interstate pile up from March 2015.  The 2 week check I'm getting in about 6 hours is for 3 days.  Dock clerk is totally different from when I was a tier 1.  I have to help my unloader all the time because we only run 1 instead of 2 now.  My back slipped 2 weeks ago after he dumped a clamp load everywhere and I didn't work for 8 days.  Then it slipped again on my first day back.  Forced myself to work another day after that.

Yesterday I did step sprints, squats of 80 pounds as many as I could.  Rested a bit and did push ups/pull ups then said **** sit ups because it aggravates my back, probably poor technique and should do crunches instead.  I am WAY out of shape cardio wise.

I didn't really do a damn thing this past winter.

• StompGrind likes this

#493 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:54 PM

I'm not in Louisiana but southeast TN got hot quick.  We just skipped right past spring.  Went out on the boat May 12th and 13th.  Felt like June 12th.  89 and humid.

How did you wreck your back?  My back and neck are both trashed from that savage interstate pile up from March 2015.  The 2 week check I'm getting in about 6 hours is for 3 days.  Dock clerk is totally different from when I was a tier 1.  I have to help my unloader all the time because we only run 1 instead of 2 now.  My back slipped 2 weeks ago after he dumped a clamp load everywhere and I didn't work for 8 days.  Then it slipped again on my first day back.  Forced myself to work another day after that.

Yesterday I did step sprints, squats of 80 pounds as many as I could.  Rested a bit and did push ups/pull ups then said **** sit ups because it aggravates my back, probably poor technique and should do crunches instead.  I am WAY out of shape cardio wise.

I didn't really do a damn thing this past winter.

Same here with the no spring just straight to summer go directly to summer to collect humidity out the @ss. lol

I'm not even entirely sure how i hurt my back. Just woke up one day felt a little stiff no more than normal soreness then suddenly it started hurting that afternoon and i went take a shower to loosen up and it went completely out to the point i couldn't even walk without a lot of pain and it took a long time to even heal at all and was one step forward three back for a while. 

I think it was a combination of things. Previous job i had i drove A LOT so it would get stiff and i'm the kinda person i HAVE to exercise or things start falling apart and i start feeling my age and then some. The mattress i had was getting old and sinking so that was creating a stress point but i can't really sleep on my back. I also hated back workouts because between the driving and sleep my back would get super tight and sore so i'd sometimes skip the go muscle workouts and work on my pretty show muscles instead. I  was probably doing a little too much with fitness over a long period of time. I worked out almost every day last yr maybe missing 65 out of the 300 and even did something active on my off days. Pretty sure i wasn't letting my body heal enough between workouts so whatever deficiencies to adaptation slowly it builds up over time and starts to rear it's ugly head. I felt and looked amazing & kept going and didn't even gain any fat in the winter where i usually slack off a little on activity and diet but my back by mid Jan suddenly said nah fk you homie. It's finally starting to come around again though. 

Back & neck chit is no joke man. Takes so long to heal & you can really fk yourself up for good if you don't address it and try to push through it like a hard@ss. A man is as old as his spine. Goodluck with yours m8.

Crunches are definitely better than sit-ups. Sit-ups without great core strength, muscular endurance and perfect form are a strain on both your lumbar and cervical spine. Crunches can be too but not as much as sit-ups. If you really wanna get a good full core workout that is good for strengthening but also preventive without as much strain get yourself a swissball. Best piece of fitness equipment i own by far. As long as you don't get crazy and just do simple natural movements it provides support, you can stretch with it, it makes a good chair to correct posture and can even double as a foam roller over a larger surface area as you work on going through crunches, bridging, pelvic lifts, hack squats lying or standing against a wall and push-up or planking movements or laying belly down and rocking forward/backward to stretch. All those increase your ROM while strengthening those stabilizer muscles we don't as often use along with kinda giving you a little muscular and fascia massage at the same time. There's a reason why those are in just about every physical therapy studio. 

Fk that was a tl;dr LOL. Hope you found some useful info there though. 

Edited by StompGrind, 17 May 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#494 PlatinumClegg

PlatinumClegg

Somebody might die!

• Free
  • 20,956 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

No I read I didn't know it was recent.  I just knew you were older than me.  Most 32 year old men aren't shot in the back and neck.  I work with a 49 year old that just had basically the same neck surgery that I need.  I'm just trying to get through the year because early in the year work is dead and with a woman coming back to night shift from days due to management there's 3 trained back up dock clerks.

A medical leave of absence I would still receive 60% of my base pay but with my lifestyle I can't live properly on that chit without dumping my stocks.  I have great insurance but I'll admit that I'm scared, homie.

#495 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,206 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

Still plugging away and making gradual steps towards my running goals.

My 5k is now at 5m 21s, about a minute quicker than last time I posted.

My 10k PB is at 55m 56s which is a 4 minute improvement but quite honestly I've not tried to improve my 10k time. If I do anything longer than about 7k I mostly stick to aerobic threshold.

I'm sitting in the bath having just completed my 1st 16k run at 1h 37m 55s. It wasn't about speed though. Right now I'm really just interested in building leg strength and improving my cardio to a point where I can get a respectable 5k time that I'm satisfied with. After that I'll look at improving my 10k time.

I'm reading a lot on the internet about running. Many articles I read contradict one another but they all seem to agree on a quite a few points, so that's what I'll take away.

I'm doing one long run per week( 12k+ is long for me I'll probably try to stick to 16k's for a month). I'm doing one hard 5k per week with each effort an attempt at my PB. I'm doing 4 recovery runs per week 5k to 7k). I'm swimming 4 to 5 days a week.

I've also started being much more careful about what I eat and making sure to use protein shakes for recovery after the ling or hard runs. These have definitely helped in speeding my recovery. I've also started using compression leggings, this is where I find the most conflicting research, it's too early for me to say if I'm noticing any benefit from them.

All in all I'm happy with my progress and continue to feel motivated to be marathon ready for spring 2019.

Edit: I intend to add intervals to my training plan once a week in place of one of my recovery runs. I'll start that next week.

Edited by Denizen, 18 May 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#496 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,158 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

Sounds like you're doing a lot of good things denizen. One thing missing seems to be hills? I'm a big advocate of hill sprints. Really sorts you out.

In other news it's already a beautiful sunny day. First time ever I've had good weather for an ultra. Let's do this.
  • StompGrind, Decompoze, amunera and 1 other like this

#497 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,206 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

Sounds like you're doing a lot of good things denizen. One thing missing seems to be hills? I'm a big advocate of hill sprints. Really sorts you out.
In other news it's already a beautiful sunny day. First time ever I've had good weather for an ultra. Let's do this.

Yeah the intervals will be hills, I say "hills" but I'll by using a flyover to start.

Best of luck with your ultra, I can only dream of such distances.

Maybe one day.....

#498 classicboxer

classicboxer

THE KING OF THE FORUM

• Free
  • 19,034 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:28 AM

Still plugging away and making gradual steps towards my running goals.

My 5k is now at 5m 21s, about a minute quicker than last time I posted.

WAT?

• Bubba_Sparks, cashfl0w and Denizen like this

KD.gifKS.gif

#499 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,255 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:20 AM

WAT?

Didn't you know? Everyone on the internet has world record shattering 2 min mile pace. 

If you think that's impressive mine are down to just 45 seconds! Meep Meep!

Spoiler

#500 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 56,836 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:26 AM

Making up stuff on the internet is a lot of fun.
  • Ozpride likes this
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin