667 replies to this topic

#551 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts
  • LocationIn your head m8. lol

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

Touched base on this in another thread but wanted to share this philosophy here. Over the yrs I've tried a lot of different approaches and had little nagging injuries that slowed progress so i started looking into alternative training modalities and when i started researching a lot of guys with slightly more unconventional methodologies like Steve Maxwell, Scott Sonnen, Rickson Gracie, Naudi Aguilars, Edo Portal lol etc. their fitness philosophies made a lot of sense to me a lot of their ideas rubbed off on me. 

Some of the main principles they teach are keeping things simple but having variety, balanced fitness and a focus on natural movement so your body doesn't adapt in a way that's unbalanced and the main principle is safety & longevity in mind. 

I'm not against heavy weight lifting, body weight stuff, yoga, running, crossfit etc, etc, etc. but when anything becomes a primary mode of training your body adapts to that and if you keep going you get locked in and you're going to have problems & imbalance over time and it will lead to injury or limit your overall fitness it's just a matter of time. 

Since i hurt my back i re-thought that even further from what i learned from those guys i mentioned and what I've learned through my own experiences over the yrs.

In general my ideas about fitness are these four pillars. 

1. Variety: Don't just run, don't just do yoga, don't just do body weight exercises or just lift weights. Don't fall in love with some exercises and neglect others. Do everything you can but balanced and in moderation. 

2. Progression: Don't do or add too much too soon when your body is getting used to something. Get your form down, master the move then move on and come back to it at a later date and start over again. 

3. Preservation to promote healing: Know when to put the pride/ego aside and take a break to rest up but still remain active even if that's just a brisk walk. 

4. Longevity: And this is perhaps the most important one to me. I look at all exercises now with the idea that if i can't come close to  having that same intensity, volume & frequency when i'm in my 60's then i won't really do it. That's not to say i never will try something more challenging but i don't push it. I DON'T wanna be that old broken down wrestler, power lifter type guy or marathon runner when i'm 60 talking about my athletic prowess when i was a young lad but can barely even move a limb now. 

There's a saying in Jiu-Jitsu "Slow is smooth" that applies here as does the tortoise vs hare story.  Don't be in such a rush for gainz in this race. Gains will come with consistency and an intelligent longevity approach. Look at the bigger picture not just what you want and think you need NOW which is much more ego based and lead to the bubble popping faster. We all slow down as we age but do it gradually and gracefully. Don't sprint towards it 25/8. That's the wrong approach.   

Just food for thought guys.Take what you will from this and enjoy your fitness journey. 

• Decompoze, Bubba_Sparks and Denizen like this
I'm leaving because of you lol

25d535b5cc51ec48161a57bdf6de2110678cdb17

Get your head out your @ss m8. You ain't that important. 

#552 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

^ Excellent post.
  • Decompoze likes this

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#553 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

It was a good weekend of running. I set a new 10k PB (while running a 16k) on Friday as I already posted about.

Saturday I went out to do a 5k and felt surprisingly strong considering I'd done a 10 mile run approximately 15 hours previously. I pushed the pace and set a new 5k PB 24m 47s. Slow by the standards of many but a personal triumph, I'd been trying to get under 25min for quite some time.

Sunday I intended 5k but had to cut it short at 3k, calf and knee pain. Most likely from the efforts of the previous two days. I wasn't injured but felt I was risking injury if I continued, I wasn't in a race so the wise thing seemed to be just stop and walk home.

I have to say that buying a new pair of running shoes that are a much better fit than my older ones is where I give credit for having my two best runs on two consecutive days, these runs were the first times I'd worn them.

Buoyed by these recent runs I decided to race the Hull 10k. I've entered and will run a week on Sunday, I'll be racing only against my own PB. It'll be my first organised event and I'm excited for it.

@Amunera, superb performance in your HM. I am in awe. Congratulations.
  • Decompoze and Bubba_Sparks like this

Fight Club Prediction Championship: Grand Prix Winner and Final Champion (10-3)

UFC Prediction Grand Prix: Winner

UFC Survivor Series Tournament: Series Seven Winner

#554 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

K so i got a 30 min walk/run in today. Just a few miles because my legs feel a little taxed from the last 3 sessions and i wanna rest up and finish the week strong. 

Next week i'm planning on switching it up and doing some yoga, DB weight training, Swissball, walker dips and resistance band pulls. 

I'm thinking about getting one of those portable Saunas. I knew about how good heat shock/cold shock proteins are for anti-inflammatory response but on the last JRE Rogan mentioned Rhonda Patrick mentioned something about mortality rates for just about all illness is something staggering like 40% less risk across the board which really raised an eyebrow so i'm gonna try it out because those portable Sauna's are not that expensive and if it gives even half that kinda benefit i wanna give it a go. 

I figured i'm good with running in the heat here and cold showers but i wanna try this out and see what's up. Plus i'm going Keto & doing intermittent fasting after my b-day coming up so it'll give me a taste of the misery of sort of being a weight cutting can. 

Edited by StompGrind, 29 May 2018 - 03:40 PM.

• Decompoze and Bubba_Sparks like this

#555 Decompoze

Decompoze
  • Free
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:46 AM

that is the "Your Best Sports Moment/Performance" thread :P

MOTHER ****!!! lol

My update as of now is I've been very consistent and I believe my positive habits have been reformed. Weight training 4 times a week, getting at least 2-3 liters of water into me daily, haven't missed any fish oil/multi vitamins, big increase in protein intake, etc. Muscle gainz are happening but there is a certain degree of intensity lacking which I attribute to working out at home vs going to the gym. Going to try and step things up as I'm sure muscle memory is only going to take me so far.

• Denizen likes this

#556 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,037 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

Intermittent Fasting is amazing!

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"Who tha fook is that guy ?"

"I wove you Mi"

#557 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Another 45 run logged in for this week!
Back to back to back runs this week! 
Great to be back back! <3

Not just physically but i got that excitement again as you can see lol

I really need to start tracking my miles again but it's kinda been great to just play by ear so to speak. 

My feels right now up on cloud 9

IMG_7679.jpg?x38904

• Bubba_Sparks, chons and Denizen like this

#558 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:51 AM

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Another 45 run logged in for this week!
Back to back to back runs this week! 
Great to be back back! <3

Not just physically but i got that excitement again as you can see lol
I really need to start tracking my miles again but it's kinda been great to just play by ear so to speak. 

My feels right now up on cloud 9
IMG_7679.jpg?x38904

Love the enthusiasm.

Why bother if it's all just a struggle to just get or be fit?

It's really nice to, on that rare occasion, just feel fit(ter) and bounce along to the natural rhythm.

Strava, btw is a fantastic app for tracking running/swimming/cycling.
  • Bubba_Sparks, classicboxer and chons like this

#559 classicboxer

classicboxer

THE KING OF THE FORUM

• Free
  • 18,927 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

Love the enthusiasm.

Why bother if it's all just a struggle to just get or be fit?

It's really nice to, on that rare occasion, just feel fit(ter) and bounce along to the natural rhythm.

Strava, btw is a fantastic app for tracking running/swimming/cycling.

Setting a goal, struggling, working hard, and then meeting or exceeding that goal, is very rewarding.

• StompGrind, ReturnoftheSoup, Bubba_Sparks and 2 others like this

KD.gifKS.gif

#560 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

Setting a goal, struggling, working hard, and then meeting or exceeding that goal, is very rewarding.

If you're as OCD as i am making short term or vague goals and just handling your business in the moment figuring things out along the way is way more efficient & fun. 

I get ideas and incites from brain storming/researching//planning/writing things out in more detail but the journey is far more rewarding than whatever end results i have in mind. 

• Bubba_Sparks likes this

#561 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

Set new 10k PB today: 52m 05s.

Smashed my previous by more than two minutes. The key to it was pacing. I almost always set off too quick and am punished for it later in the run.

Found a pace I can endure for 10k straight and stuck to it.
  • StompGrind and Bubba_Sparks like this

#562 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:43 AM

Finished a half marathon last night, halfway to my main goal of running 26.2 Miles none stop.

The pain was real.
  • StompGrind, Decompoze, Bubba_Sparks and 1 other like this

#563 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:51 AM

First squat session in 8 months today. Prayfornocake.
  • ReturnoftheSoup, Bubba_Sparks, amunera and 1 other like this

conair.gif?w=780

#564 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:47 PM

Good work fellas.  Denizen; are you aiming to enter a marathon, or just run that distance in training?  Are you taking a bit of food and water with you now that you're running 90 minutes plus? If not, i highly recommend it as a bit of re-fuelling helps enormously.

May turned into my biggest running month of the year so far, which i guess is not surprising as i did 50 miles in one day.  These are my totals for the month (with communist distances in brackets)

Distance: 168 miles (267 km)

Elevation gain: 12073 feet (3700 M)

Total to the end of May:

Distance: 576 miles (921 km)

Elevation gain: 43000 feet (13106 M)

Ran quite a bit over the weekend, plus also played my first game of football for a very long time.  Grabbed a couple of goals and didn't get injured, so job done!

Come on then Amunera....am i catching you up yet??

• amunera, classicboxer and Denizen like this

#565 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:58 PM

4. Longevity: And this is perhaps the most important one to me. I look at all exercises now with the idea that if i can't come close to  having that same intensity, volume & frequency when i'm in my 60's then i won't really do it. That's not to say i never will try something more challenging but i don't push it. I DON'T wanna be that old broken down wrestler, power lifter type guy or marathon runner when i'm 60 talking about my athletic prowess when i was a young lad but can barely even move a limb now. 

Great post btw Stomp.

This in particular strikes a chord.  When i was about 28, a lad joined work who was a bit younger than me, but similar kind of build (basically your classic ectomorph; tall and thin).  Was a really good footballer, very quick and mobile.  He became obsessed with weights, and for a brief time I was equally obsessed.  We worked out quite a bit together; we were both desperate to be able to bench the 90 lb dumbells in the gym, but would plateau around 80.  He took it to the next level and started taking all kinds of pre-workout stuff; pretty much everything apart from roids.  Being a tight northener, i refused to spend a penny on that stuff, plus a PT mate of mine basically had a word and said what the heck are you actually trying to acheive?  Decided at that point it wasn't the way forward at all and started doing much more varied training.

Meanwhile matey keeps on shoveling down creatine by the bucketload, popping stuff, working out for 2 hours 5 times a week.  Shoots up to 190 lbs from 160 lbs in a couple of months, starts throwing the 90lb dumbells around like they're toys, has a back that's twice as wide as it used to be.  Fair play.  He wanted to `get big' and did so.

Fast forward 10 years and he's now had two major back surgeries, is on strong painkillers all the time, has a massive gut, can't play football and gets to the gym about once every two months because his back just can't handle anything.  He stands up and walks around like an old man.  I feel sorry for the bloke tbh; he had a couple of years of "smashing" it and it's basically ruined his health for the rest of his life.  I'm totally with you on the longevity thing.  I can do everything i could 10 years ago....maybe a little bit slower, but I also want to be exercising regularly pretty much until the day i die and that plays a big part in how i train.

• StompGrind, classicboxer and Denizen like this

#566 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:42 AM

Good work fellas.  Denizen; are you aiming to enter a marathon, or just run that distance in training?  Are you taking a bit of food and water with you now that you're running 90 minutes plus? If not, i highly recommend it as a bit of re-fuelling helps enormously.

May turned into my biggest running month of the year so far, which i guess is not surprising as i did 50 miles in one day.  These are my totals for the month (with communist distances in brackets)

Total to the end of May:

Ran quite a bit over the weekend, plus also played my first game of football for a very long time.  Grabbed a couple of goals and didn't get injured, so job done!

May was already on my way down with all the taper and the fear of getting injured :P

May:
Distance: 129.9 km
Elev. Gain: 1,211 m

Totals:
Distance: 1,070.8 km
Elev Gain: 10,269 m

you'll definitely catch/pass me in June since I will barely run, I will try to start my comeback in July until the end of the year :P

Edited by amunera, 04 June 2018 - 12:43 AM.

• Bubba_Sparks, classicboxer and Denizen like this

Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#567 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

You didn't pray hard enough. RIP in peace my legs.
  • Bubba_Sparks, amunera and classicboxer like this

conair.gif?w=780

#568 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:27 AM

You didn't pray hard enough. RIP in peace my legs.

I actually prayed for knob-rot so you got off lightly.
  • StompGrind, amunera and NoCakeForYaya like this

#569 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

I actually prayed for knob-rot so you got off lightly.

That's just not right sir!....but i know how to counteract your prayers 4 gay Jesus. 

42520366222_dcb9a131d9_b.jpg

I don't really believe in that stuff but if you prayed for my back i thank you for it none the less srsly. Starting to get a tan so i'm not so damn pasty white lol, My definition & abs are coming back a little. Love handles almost gone. Even got some back muscles and arms now. Legs are coming around on gaining some mass again. Mantiddies and triceps need to catch up again but i'll get there.   

27702218657_5a9fdc14c6_b.jpg

Not gonna happen till after my birthday but i'm really excited to see what Keto, intermittent fasting & heat shock sauna can do to my body. 

• Bubba_Sparks and Denizen like this

#570 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Good work fellas. Denizen; are you aiming to enter a marathon, or just run that distance in training? Are you taking a bit of food and water with you now that you're running 90 minutes plus? If not, i highly recommend it as a bit of re-fuelling helps enormously.

May turned into my biggest running month of the year so far, which i guess is not surprising as i did 50 miles in one day. These are my totals for the month (with communist distances in brackets)

Total to the end of May:

Ran quite a bit over the weekend, plus also played my first game of football for a very long time. Grabbed a couple of goals and didn't get injured, so job done!

Distance for May was 162 km. Elevation only 335m. Running flats only. Not worth my posting yearly as I didn't start running until Easter.

Yeah I have a bottle belt and always take it when I run. I have some energy gels and gums but ive actually never used them yet.

When I ran the half marathon last week it wasn't planned. I usually have a solid idea if what I want to do before I leave my house but 80% of the time my plan changes before I finish my first km. I haven't found the discipline yet to stick to a rigid schedule. I intended to do a 10k at around pb pace. Ended up feeling like a more relaxed but longer run. Burnt myself out at around 17k and did the last 4k in a kind of half conciousness/delirium. Lesson learned. I've taken fuel with me on every run since but not used it.

I do intend to run a marathon an officially organised marathon and have applied to run London 2019. I realise the chances of getting a place are slim, I'll wait until October and see if I get a spot, if not then I'll look at other options for 2019.

Really excited for my 10k race on Sunday.

You guys are smashing the distances. Keep it up.

Edited by Denizen, 04 June 2018 - 08:55 PM.

• Bubba_Sparks, amunera and classicboxer like this

#571 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Ultimate
  • 55,925 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

I'm a current frolf and tennis champion. I'm playing real sports now. No more exercising.
  • Bubba_Sparks, amunera, classicboxer and 1 other like this
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#572 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

Boom just got a good five mile run in with a 10 mile walk. Fasted all day besides water. Ate a chicken salad just OMFG it was so good. 

I've been doing fasting like every third day not eating anything till evening to get used to doing it more regularly when i start Keto+Intermittent fasting and boy do you appreciate food so much more lol. Especially clean wholesome food. 

Did some MMA type striking drills with my swissball & yoga mat last night for a good 20 min then finished up with some stretching. < Was fun. I missed training Martial Arts. Besides boxing my guest room mattress the other day lol and doing a brick wall linear kicking drill last week i haven't trained any Martial Arts in a long time.  

• ReturnoftheSoup and Bubba_Sparks like this

#573 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

200.gif another run down, another chicken salad ate. Been killing it this week. Come @ me bros. 

Something i really realized over this past yr is how much music is a part of my fitness. IDK know how to explain it exactly other than to say it's like this pure energy over takes me like a flow state trance and i can clear my head of all the BS worries and doubts then i just have this razor sharp focus and determination but it's not an intense thing more a pleasant enjoyable feeling to the point everything else just melts away except the moment and that feel good energy and i just have this total believe in myself like i can do anything i put my mind to then after i'm done i just feel reborn like the old me just died and there is only me at my best here and now. It's a truly wonderful feeling and without the music i don't really get that as much. 

I think maybe the reason for that is i'm a pretty emotional person but i have a hard time expressing that sometimes believe it nor and i have this tenancy to block out emotion and detach pretty easily so anxiety builds inside if i don't have an outlet but music and physical activity bring it out and allow me to surrender my want for self control of my thoughts & emotions as much and just be free in the now. 

Something i have a deeper understanding of more and more everyday is you aren't the sum of your past nor your future. You are what you are right NOW so try to enjoy every single moment and make the best of it. 

Edited by StompGrind, 07 June 2018 - 03:11 PM.

• ReturnoftheSoup, Bubba_Sparks and classicboxer like this

#574 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

Alright, so I'm obviously not going to be posting and the thread about mixed martial arts training. It's seem to draw the worst posters and I don't have a weird masochistic fetish where I would take any joy from partaking in what they have to offer. So be it.

I tend bar at night and I'm not particularly joyful about getting up at the crack of dawn, so I will only be going to that jujitsu gym a few nights a week. I went Wednesday, it was my first night. I worked last night and I work tonight, but I have a class tomorrow at noon. I'm typically not up for too much at noon, but I need to change my ways. I'll probably make my way over there tomorrow.

I'm curious as to how jujitsu is going to impact my other workouts. I'm sure it's going to be great in the long run, if I'm disciplined enough to keep at it and regularly give my all to both. I was pretty wore out yesterday, so I didn't do anything. I'm wore out today but I did finish a workout just now. Push-ups.

What's really going to be interesting is if I eventually get my lazy **** over to construction. I've been putting it off because it's hard damn work, I'm not ashamed to admit that. I wonder if I'll be able to continue all this stuff and I'm working my **** off from dawn 'til evening.

Also, and this is a big one, I don't like those types of people. Everyone is an ignorant, redneck. And while they would never guess that we actually share a lot of viewpoints and have a lot of in common, these rednecks don't typically like me and I don't typically like them. It really makes the daily grind suck that much more.
  • StompGrind, Bubba_Sparks and Denizen like this

conair.gif?w=780

#575 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:36 AM

Spent this week tapering my running down in preparation for the 10k race tomorrow. I've done about 50% of my usual weekly miles.

I kind of feel a bit short changed. I'm obsessive by nature, I can get addicted to anything that gives me pleasure very easily. I've really missed running this week, particularly last night as Friday evening is usually my long easy run and I find it a fantastic tool to wind down and reset my mind and body after a long week of working nights.

This week I've found the benefits of cooling down properly after a run though. I've been too lazy to properly research and practice cool down methods in the past, but with the time I've saved from running I have invested more into cooling down properly and I've spent a bit more time in stretching and developing some core strength with excercises such as crunches and planking. Not looking for muscular tone, just seeking to improve my running form over distance.

I'm really hoping to set a 10k PB tomorrow and will look to run at a pace of 5m 06s per KM with a sprint finish to get a sub 51. I think it's achievable, my current PB being 52m 05s for 10k.

The only problem I foresee is being able to achieve my goal pace over the first kilometre or two. There'll be somewhere between three and four thousand runners so it'll likely take time for us to spread out and run at our own pace. I'm not entirely sure, this will be my first race in close to 25 years (except for representing my son in the dads race for his school sports day 15 years ago lol).

My wife and my adult son and daughter are coming to give me support which should give me a good motivator and a nice morale boost at the midway point.

I've slight discomfort in one of my calf muscles but otherwise I feel great. Loaded up on carbohydrates and ready to do my best to smash it.

Edited by Denizen, 09 June 2018 - 04:45 AM.

• StompGrind, amunera and classicboxer like this

#576 classicboxer

classicboxer

THE KING OF THE FORUM

• Free
  • 18,927 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:23 AM

The only problem I foresee is being able to achieve my goal pace over the first kilometre or two. There'll be somewhere between three and four thousand runners so it'll likely take time for us to spread out and run at our own pace. I'm not entirely sure, this will be my first race in close to 25 years (except for representing my son in the dads race for his school sports day 15 years ago lol).

Good luck! No matter how fast you will be running, start as close to the front as possible. Easiest way to get some room, and get into your own rhythm.

• StompGrind and Denizen like this

KD.gifKS.gif

#577 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

Me goofing around with shadow kickboxing trying not to level my camera in a confined space. 

For 38 i still got some skills and i still have some speed & movement too. No where near what i used to be but i still kinda got it. 

NewFC here i come. I can make the weight. Call me Dana when Punk needs another fight. 

• classicboxer likes this

#578 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

One more. Where u @ #Wonderboy lol

#579 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

I think jujitsu is helping me. It's giving me that little something extra to live for.

I woke up three hours earlier than I normally do so that I could make it to practice. Don't freak out, we're talking about 10:30 AM. But that's early for me because of my profession.

I bought five books at the used bookstore. Vonnegut, Upton Sinclair, Isaac Bashevis Singer, A book on GRIP training and a guilty pleasure of a book by Chael Sonnen. And I spent a couple of joyful hours reading. I went for a walk.

I watched the mostly-amazing UFC event and now I'm knocking out pull-ups and posting on the forum in between sets. How many can I do? I don't know, I haven't tested it I single time this year. But I weigh somewhere between 230 and 240 pounds and I just finished my fifth set of 8. I do every rep VERY SLOWLY, I lock out COMPLETELY at the BOTTOM for a half second and bring my chin OVER the bar for a half second. No kipping, no swinging, no kicking my legs, no quick pull-ups to take advantage of momentum.

I have no idea how many I could do in one set if I was at my normal 200 pound weight and I was knocking them out quickly for one set. 20 easily, I'm sure I could do that at this weight. Maybe even 30? I used to do 30 all the time. More, possibly?

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup, 09 June 2018 - 11:48 PM.

conair.gif?w=780

#580 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:18 PM

I will say, and this is a very big deal for me, there is no tenderness in the tendon that's runs along the inside of my elbow right now. I've been very, very careful this time because I always aggravate it very badly when I start doing pull-ups, so badly that I usually have to abandon pull-ups altogether, along with a few other exercises. Then I usually just abandon my entire exercise routine out of laziness and complacency.

It has been my very, very deliberately slow progression that has aided me through this.

conair.gif?w=780

#581 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:04 AM

Spent this week tapering my running down in preparation for the 10k race tomorrow. I've done about 50% of my usual weekly miles.

I kind of feel a bit short changed. I'm obsessive by nature, I can get addicted to anything that gives me pleasure very easily. I've really missed running this week, particularly last night as Friday evening is usually my long easy run and I find it a fantastic tool to wind down and reset my mind and body after a long week of working nights.

This week I've found the benefits of cooling down properly after a run though. I've been too lazy to properly research and practice cool down methods in the past, but with the time I've saved from running I have invested more into cooling down properly and I've spent a bit more time in stretching and developing some core strength with excercises such as crunches and planking. Not looking for muscular tone, just seeking to improve my running form over distance.

I'm really hoping to set a 10k PB tomorrow and will look to run at a pace of 5m 06s per KM with a sprint finish to get a sub 51. I think it's achievable, my current PB being 52m 05s for 10k.

My wife and my adult son and daughter are coming to give me support which should give me a good motivator and a nice morale boost at the midway point.

I've slight discomfort in one of my calf muscles but otherwise I feel great. Loaded up on carbohydrates and ready to do my best to smash it.

How did you get on then mate?

#582 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

I'm in-between sets, finishing up a workout, Even though I have jujitsu in about an hour and a half. I think it's just technique and drills though, so doesn't really matter.

It's a pretty one, but a serious one. I think some of the brief workouts are actually a lot harder, cause you really got a push yourself.

3 sets of maxed out push-ups.
3 sets of maxed out push-ups, feet elevated.
3 supersets of military dumbbell presses paired up with bent-over lateral raises.

That's it.

Oh, and I have to walk a mile and a half to get to where I park my truck.

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup, 11 June 2018 - 02:28 PM.

conair.gif?w=780

#583 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Ultimate
  • 55,925 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

The park you sleep in must be really far away!
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#584 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

Just finished a 5 mile run 10 mile walk.

Last night i did some strength training

Rows & pulls with resistance bands

Flys and DB presses on the swissball

Alternating DB Curls & overhead extensions

The some ab exercises on the swissball

Finished up with a few sets of free standing squats and lunges then some stretching. 

Tried out my portable sauna after. Interesting thing about that. The steam felt great. Really rejuvenating with the heat. Felt nice relaxed and loose as I was sitting in it watching a podcast but after about 35 -40 min i started feeling super hot and almost claustrophobic it was a little hard to breath even though this thing only goes up to the neck. I strayed in past feeling comfortable then  i started getting blurred vision a little in my puerperal vision  and had to get out for a a minute because i felt like if i stayed in another 10 min i might pass out lol. Took a minute break then did another 15 and was done. That happens sometimes when i've done a hard workout and did some yoga after in the sun with intense deep breathing exercises. It's almost a trippy euphoria kinda feeling. Took a cold shower after and felt like superman. 

Anyway it's gonna take some getting used to but i'm pretty happy about adding this to my routine. I was a little sore waking up today from the weights and pushing it all last week but my run today i felt really really strong. Normally i feel a little flat when i lift on Sunday the day before my Monday run. I would highly recommend the portable sauna. They're only like 100 bucks and there are tons of health benefits besides just feeling great. 

I also got on of those seated chair massage pad things that I've been using for a week or two. My fitness is pampered the fk up now. Pretty excited about starting Keto+Intermittent fasting regularly and see how that goes. 

Edited by StompGrind, 11 June 2018 - 04:30 PM.

#585 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:40 PM

Everyone smashing it!

Heading into the Scottish wilderness for 3 days for some wild camping. Have a 40lb pack and will do 15 miles a day for 3 days. Should be fun although there's apparently a storm brewing so day 3 could be rather soggy
  • StompGrind and ReturnoftheSoup like this

#586 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:59 PM

Everyone smashing it!

Heading into the Scottish wilderness for 3 days for some wild camping. Have a 40lb pack and will do 15 miles a day for 3 days. Should be fun although there's apparently a storm brewing so day 3 could be rather soggy

Goodluck m8. Pls don't get eaten by any bears. 

I have of plenty motivation but you guys give me that extra little bit that makes a difference. 

#587 NikkiNeversleep

NikkiNeversleep

OG Werdum Fan - What's my name? EBAH!

• Free
  • 9,088 posts
  • LocationZion

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:19 PM

I bought a heavybag two days ago, kinda missed it.

14bc338cb6ce0e92287617616411.gif

#588 PlatinumClegg

PlatinumClegg

Suck it the bet was like a week, right?

• Free
  • 20,528 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:09 AM

Did you strap a Colossus dildo to it?  Otherwise I don't see the point.

qUDIQwQ.gif

Don't want to brag but I've done dong comparisons with white guys before

#589 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

Cool. I recently healed up enough to start training martial arts again. Only trained thrice so far but fell in love with it all over again right away. Fun killer workout, good stress relief, and a way more positive way to get out some aggression so that doesn't carry over into other areas of your life. 

Free styling is so much fun being in the zone and being creative but i used to write combo's out with built in defense/set-ups to git gud then once i developed them enough that i was comfortable i'd test them out in sparring. I probably had a good 15-20 of those in my prime. 

Here was one of my favs.

Coverblock>Cross>Hook>Cross>Hook>Cross  < Cross here is more like an straightened overhand. Bit slower than my Vitor/Bruce Lee like straight blast combo but it flows real nice with the hook because the body posish is similar & it has that rocking/swaying kinda Iron Mike style momentum & riddum.  

giphy.gif

There's a saying in jitz that's a fav of mine. "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" that applies not just to martial arts & fitness but many things in life as well. 

Anyway have fun and enjoy your training. 

• NikkiNeversleep likes this

#590 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:24 AM

Smashing the weights currently. Genuinely is NoCake for me at the minute. Smashing it, feeling good, feeling strong.
  • NikkiNeversleep likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#591 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:32 AM

So, I've been doing the Keto diet for roughly two weeks now and I'm down 11lbs. My wife has been doing it a couple of days longer than me and she says she hasn't lost anything. She doesn't weigh her self daily like I do, and also didn't weigh herself when she started though. She also doesn't go on the long walks that I do. 

#592 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Alright, the other day I did a bunch of push-ups and all that jazz and went to jujitsu. As soon as I got back I showered up and ate a quick something something and I got invited by a certain Chloe to go for a run. I didn't come all the way back from a decent job and what looked to be a better-than-my-average future in LA so that I can work in a **** hotel and never see her, which is about how things have gone so far.

So with practically no break in action, I got right back in my truck and I went to meet her and we went for a pretty decent run. So that was three separate workouts inside of five or six hours. Not bad for a middle-age guy.

The next day I really didn't do much. I was pretty wore out. I worked nine hours in the bar and did my whole riding my bicycle to my truck and back and that's it.

Today I'm doing pretty much the exact same thing again, except a workout centered around pull-ups instead of push-ups. On the days I do pull ups, I finish the workout out with a few sets of high rep Dorian deadlifts. My heaviest weights are a pair of 60 pound dumbbells, so I can't really do heavy weights and low reps, even though that approach is better. All the same, knocking out a few sets of 30 or 40 reps will get you breathing heavy.

conair.gif?w=780

#593 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

So, I've been doing the Keto diet for roughly two weeks now and I'm down 11lbs. My wife has been doing it a couple of days longer than me and she says she hasn't lost anything. She doesn't weigh her self daily like I do, and also didn't weigh herself when she started though. She also doesn't go on the long walks that I do. 

I'm starting Keto tomorrow. Gonna go look for another job too. This art/photography/graphics dream just isn't cutting it anymore. Gonna have to go back to just occasionally doing that as a hobby. I love it but the hustle of it is very hit n miss and tew unstable especially if you're not networked into social media. 

#594 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

Back to deadlifts yesterday, stuck light, felt nice. By Christmas the plan is being back to deadlifting 200kg for 3 comfortable reps. Quite a conservative target but I'll adjust accordingly.
  • ReturnoftheSoup likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#595 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

F****** Achilles injury on race day. D8dnt complete the race. Pulled out at 6.4km. Should have pulled out at 0.5 km.

4 days later and I'm still limping badly. It'll be at least a couple of weeks or maybe a month until I can run again.

#596 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

Got up early today handled all my business then had a good run. Bad day for my head though. Runner's high and music did nothing for me today but i still have my grit, determination and fk the world attitude. Sometimes that's more than enough when you're just not feeling it. 

#597 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

I got on a scale the other day at the gym. They have a scale, so I guess I'm going to regularly check my weight now. Anyway, I'm down to 225.

I'm pretty lean and the six pack is coming through, but it's not deep. I still have a tiny bit of love handle action still getting in the way of looking like a superhero. Pisses me off. 10 more pounds, maybe?

I'm no bodybuilder, but let's not pretend that looking great isn't one of the goals of everyone here. The muscles look nice and proportionate. Shoulders are good, chest is good and the upper pecs are fine ( The valley goes all the way up to my throat.) I don't really have any muscles that I feel like are small.

I'm strong, I'm flexible and I have good cardio. I like to be better in every area, of course, but I don't have any weaknesses. And I feel like I look pretty good. Thus far, I've gotten exactly what I wanted from this little workout program.

conair.gif?w=780

#598 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

I have to say, nothing beats weights but I haven't used them at all, besides some dumbbells. I have not done a single bench press, barbell squat or deadlift this calendar year (or even since maybe since August or September of last.)

Edited by ReturnoftheSoup, 15 June 2018 - 07:14 PM.

conair.gif?w=780

#599 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Jog/walked today after an all day fast. Was pretty rough today. Felt a little dizzy towards the end. Didn't do anything all weekend besides cut grass and i skipped working out Monday so i felt a little flat today getting back to it. 

Think i'll skip the chair massage & sauna today. I'm down to a fairly lean 172 probably 173-174 after my meal. It's a good weight for me but i feel and look best at around 177-180 range. Oddly last week i was almost 180-184 range and pretty muscular but i was adding protein shakes and doing some strength training at night almost every other day. 

My body is weird man. I can fluctuate in just a week from being pretty muscular and lean to being skinny & lean or some extra body fat if don't watch my diet and just eat what i want. I kinda feel off Keto. Not totally but i'm used to some sugar and caved to those cravings a few times so that's gonna take some getting used to. 

My goal is to be about 185-190 at most and lean AF but whenever i bulk up i eventually start to gain some fat too so i end up focusing hard on cardio then i end up losing the body fat but some of the mass gains as well.

I think i really need to get my diet down to a science and maybe take some supplements to be able to bulk up and stay lean. 

#600 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 13,205 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

well boys ive been waiting since september to get out and do this ride and the day has finally arrived

i was able to get the day off work and now i got a buddy coming in to town super early this morning and pick me and my bike and belongings up in his truck and then drive me all the way out to kelowna and  up one of the mountains just above the city so i can hit up the myra canyon and then ride the kvr trail all the way back home. im not even paying him that much for gas either so i guess im pretty thankful for that

its gonna be around 100 tough kilometers of a ride back in the blistering sun on a real sandy washed out dirt trail but i think i can handle it.  just spent the last hour getting the new bike in order and making sure i got all the tools and stuff to repair my chit in case chit happens cause ill be way out in the bush far from home and even civilization for most of the time

but yeah ive got most of my chit all packed. 17 beers and 6 bottles of water oughtta be enough fluid. its gonna be heavy as hell on my back but by the time i start to get more drunk and closer to town it definately wont weigh me down so much

but yeah i got 4 hours to kill before ill have to head out so im just gonna bang around on the internet for a bit and  load up on some pasta and roll joints like its going out of style.

i havent been on my bike for like 3 or 4 weeks now and this is gonna be a pretty big test of endurance on a 45 pound downhill bike with most of the ride on a flat or slightly uphill grade. i still wish i had a lighter bike with plenty of gears but it is what it is. im gonna take this tank for some distance riding  and if it holds up to that then the next time i head out im taking it straight down a mountain on some downhill singletrack. we have lots of trail networks closer to town for that and they should be fairly good to hit up now that all the snow has melted and most of the area is drying up. ive totally got some plans for that too this summer

but yeah im kinda pumped for this. my legs and back are gonna be real sore and illl probably be hungover as hell come thursday but it will  all probably be worth it cause i really want to go and do this ride just to make sure i still got it in me. and i know i probably wont have many days this summer to myself to actually go out and ride, but the weather looks promising, ive got a new bike that seems to be riding in much better shape than the one i was riding for the last few summers. and i managed to get myself a day away from work to go out and do this so f*ck yeah its gonna happen boys.

Edited by -idyb-, 19 June 2018 - 11:04 PM.

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.