• Please log in to reply
850 replies to this topic

#251 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:44 AM

Little bit sore but less than expected. Even lifted some weights a little yesterday evening.

@Soup did you see Yoel's open workout. lol

No, but now I'm going to have to check it out.

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#252 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

I'm doing the next 27 days alcohol-free. It's a 30 day absence I'm going for and I'm already on my third night. I started a thread a few minutes ago about this, something that is surely going to be ripped apart by trolls. It's an honest contribution and hopefully an interesting read.

But I'd really like is to go back to the habits of my former self, before I divorced at 32. I didn't drink hardly at all. I would have a beer with dinner because I felt it to be "proper." I was more likely to not have a beer than to have two and I never had three. Over the course of any given 365 days, I would certainly have less than 365 beers.

Anyway, this isn't really a Fitness and Training Goal as much as it is a Fitness and Training Wish.
  • amunera likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#253 classicboxer

classicboxer

THE KING OF THE FORUM

• Free
  • 19,150 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

Anyway, this isn't really a Fitness and Training Goal as much as it is a Fitness and Training Wish.

KD.gifKS.gif

#254 NikkiNeversleep

NikkiNeversleep

OG Werdum Fan - What's my name? EBAH!

• Free
  • 9,133 posts
  • LocationZion

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:42 PM

I really would like to get back to doing yoga more than twice a week lol

• chons likes this

14bc338cb6ce0e92287617616411.gif

#255 PlatinumClegg

PlatinumClegg

Somebody might die!

• Free
  • 21,322 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

I really would like to get back to doing yoga more than twice a week lol

Stop being a lazy can then.  I personally work out once every three weeks.  I'll be jacked like Roids before years end.

• smwwrest likes this

LikableLittleGuernseycow-max-1mb.gif

Don't want to brag but I've done dong comparisons with white guys before

#256 NikkiNeversleep

NikkiNeversleep

• Free
  • 9,133 posts
  • LocationZion

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

Stop being a lazy can then.  I personally work out once every three weeks.  I'll be jacked like Roids before years end.

I work like 60+ hours a week lol 

#257 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:28 PM

I've been at it every day. I just been doing things lately, because I hadn't really worked out in a while. September. I just looked at my truck's registration and it was September. I did not ride my bike at all after I got the truck and I went to the gym only about a dozen times after that.

Now I'm do something every day. I'm only just easing into it, not including last Friday night's run. That was a ****.

Earlier today I did a bunch of pull-ups from the pipes that hang overhead, coupling that with chair dips. I went back-and-forth between those two exercises for about 10 sets. I didn't really push that hard, because I'm more focused on getting my tendons and joints strong before I worry about the muscles. So it was low reps it's a lot of sets.. Barely broke a sweat. I did a lot of shadow boxing in between sets.

Then I chained together flutter kicks, crunches, some sort of leg raise I don't know the name of which works the glutes, and I squeezed the heck out of my captains of crush to give myself some grip training.

Lots of shadow boxing and stretching and stuff like that. I'm just keeping my body moving. I'm not going to begin pushing until I know I've really worked everything out, because I don't want to injure myself. I will do you just tiny bit more with each workout, but I'm thinking maybe a month of this before I start going about 80% and then maybe another month of that before I start pushing myself.

I'm not really worried about results right now, I'm already a strong guy. I can already run and sprint hills and ride my bicycle crazy distances. There's no emergencies here. I want to get "better," but I want to do it safely. No torn tendons. No pulled muscles. No jacked up rotator cuffs. No worn out knees. I'm going slow this time because I have time. I have the rest of my life.

Edited by Megasoup, 11 February 2018 - 11:28 PM.

conair.gif?w=780

#258 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

Two pairs of socks, two pairs of pants, one short sleeve shirt, one long sleeve shirt, two jackets, a pair of gloves and a full-face baklava.

I'm going for a run.
  • Bubba_Sparks likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#259 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:40 PM

Ask yourself this question: Did I workout today?
  • Joby, StompGrind and amunera like this

conair.gif?w=780

#260 NikkiNeversleep

NikkiNeversleep

• Free
  • 9,133 posts
  • LocationZion

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Mhm.

• ReturnoftheSoup likes this

#261 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts
  • LocationChamp Champs home state

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:45 PM

No i went to Mardi Gras instead. About all i can do for exercise right now is fap. lol

My back is acting up on the other side now. I think i need a new mattress or swap it out with one of the beds in my guest bedroom. 

• chons likes this

e323249005db0bcda6fa34bce037f98e.jpg

#262 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

I did indeed coach soup!
  • ReturnoftheSoup and amunera like this

conair.gif?w=780

#263 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:38 AM

yes sir :)

• ReturnoftheSoup likes this

Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#264 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 57,523 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:12 AM

No i went to Mardi Gras instead. About all i can do for exercise right now is fap. lol

My back is acting up on the other side now. I think i need a new mattress or swap it out with one of the beds in my guest bedroom.

Try sleeping flat on your back.

I have the same problem. One side will be all **** up, and then the other side will be **** up from the compensation. Sleeping flat on my back is the only thing that helps.
  • StompGrind likes this
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#265 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 13,956 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:24 AM

i cant fall asleep on my back unless im pissed drunk and dead tired. i dunno how some of yall do it

• StompGrind likes this

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.

#266 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

Try sleeping flat on your back.

I have the same problem. One side will be all **** up, and then the other side will be **** up from the compensation. Sleeping flat on my back is the only thing that helps.

I do sometimes but like IDYB i find it hard to fall asleep like that and over days it makes my back sore and really tight. I can't sleep on my stomach at all. My back or more likely my neck will be rekt. 

On my side is how i sleep most of the time and like once a yr or every two years i'll get a pinched nerve then my back goes out for like a few days or at most a week.

This time is longest it's been injured since i was a teen/young adult when i really injured it trying to be superman doing v-crunch leg raises on a bench after doing deadlifts and good mornings. 

#267 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

I'm at work, tending bar at this hotel. But this hotel has a tendency of catering to business travelers, so weekends are dead here.

So I am steadily knocking out push-ups in this empty bar.
  • Joby likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#268 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:00 AM

Hiked up a volcano today, not my usual exercise but fun as hell and great for you.
  • ReturnoftheSoup, amunera and chons like this

conair.gif?w=780

#269 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

I rode 16 miles today. I rode 16 because that's how far it was to get to where I needed to go. Basically, it was a trip to Walmart. I was buying something very small, I didn't really have anywhere and I need to go today, so there was no reason for me to drive. Not if I'm supposed be committed to getting back into shape.

I don't really mention this much, and it probably seems completely unlike who you perceive me to be, but I actually care about our environment. Also, I don't like the idea of funding terrorist nations by using so much of the gas they sell to us, unnecessarily. That's as much a reason to ride a bike as any other, though avoiding getting pulled over might be my number one goal. It's hard to say.

Anyway, the bike riding was earlier today. Now I'm on to doing pull ups from the pipes that run overhead through the hallways. I'm going back-and-forth between that and chair dips. I'll hit the captains of crush for my grip on my forearms and some other stuff to work my glutes and my neck. Maybe I'll do abs, maybe I won't. I really should do them.

Edited by Megasoup, 18 February 2018 - 10:36 PM.

conair.gif?w=780

#270 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

Watching this right now. This dude has an incredible story and is really inspiring. 

Edited by StompGrind, 19 February 2018 - 06:42 PM.

#271 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:10 PM

Be consistent, brothers. Do something every day.
  • Bubba_Sparks and skillandpower like this

conair.gif?w=780

#272 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,660 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

Im trying the intermittent fasting stuff 

• ReturnoftheSoup and Bubba_Sparks like this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"Who tha fook is that guy ?"

"I wove you Mi"

#273 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

Im trying the intermittent fasting stuff

That's supposed be pretty good for you. Adds to one's longevity. I'm gonna be doing some of that soon, but just to lose a few pounds. I feel like I've gotten a little heavy and I have some interviews coming up add a couple places where I will do a lot better than I'm doing right now; one next week and one next month. I need to slim down and look good, because this is a bartending job and not a computer programming job. Looks matter.
  • Bubba_Sparks and skillandpower like this

conair.gif?w=780

#274 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,337 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:07 AM

Have to say, this has been the slowest start to the year ever for me.  Something usually clicks in my brain on the 1st January and I go crazy for about 8 months.  Hadn't been feeling it at all, skipped a few workouts, even runs.  Very unusual.

Anyway, last Thursday I decided to shock myself back into life.  Ran a hard 6 mile run on Thursday, ran 3 miles Friday lunch, 5 miles Friday evening and 13 miles Saturday morning.  Seemed to do the trick.  Back in the groove now, smashed it at the gym on Monday and did hill sprints yesterday.  Like Soup says...move a bit, every day and you can't go far wrong.

@Nyte, how is this new found enthusiasm going?

@Stomp, how's the back, hope you're able to do a bit more

@Amunera, you still running like a beast?

@BEG, hope the rehab is still going well and the back is getting better

@any new posters, get involved!  Share your goals and stay accountable

Edited by Bubba_Sparks, 21 February 2018 - 03:08 AM.

• ReturnoftheSoup and Nyte like this

#275 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:26 AM

Still running, I will be probably shy of the 200 km this months because February is too short :P and also this week I reduced mileage since next week I will start my first main training block of the year for the 10k race at the uni (12 weeks).

Main goal is to make it in 45 mins, but I'll be happy with anything below 50.

• ReturnoftheSoup, Bubba_Sparks and chons like this

Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#276 classicboxer

classicboxer

THE KING OF THE FORUM

• Free
  • 19,150 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

Have to say, this has been the slowest start to the year ever for me.  Something usually clicks in my brain on the 1st January and I go crazy for about 8 months.  Hadn't been feeling it at all, skipped a few workouts, even runs.  Very unusual.

Anyway, last Thursday I decided to shock myself back into life.  Ran a hard 6 mile run on Thursday, ran 3 miles Friday lunch, 5 miles Friday evening and 13 miles Saturday morning.  Seemed to do the trick.  Back in the groove now, smashed it at the gym on Monday and did hill sprints yesterday.  Like Soup says...move a bit, every day and you can't go far wrong.

You mention BEG, and not me?  :(

KD.gifKS.gif

#277 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,337 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:14 AM

You mention BEG, and not me? :(

Lol, I assumed you and beg are both Cole alts.
Sorry cb. How's your training going?
  • classicboxer likes this

#278 classicboxer

classicboxer

THE KING OF THE FORUM

• Free
  • 19,150 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Lol, I assumed you and beg are both Cole alts.
Sorry cb. How's your training going?

I'm kind of in the same boat you are in, I don't feel like riding when it's to cold, and in California 30 degrees F is too cold! I've got around 250 miles so far this year.

KD.gifKS.gif

#279 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

Still rekt m8. Healing much slower than i thought. Thanks for asking though. 

I've been doing stretching although ROM is very limited and varies day to day. 

Every other day i walk a few miles. 

Yesterday i did some resistance band pulls & hip raises on the stability ball.

Would like to get back into yoga and some easy lifting but i'm not ready for that. Jogging would kill me right now. 

I can only do a couple of light sets of anything right now. Just enough to get some blood flowing and not be all stiff from sitting around all the time. I had to take a leave from my job because that involved a lot of driving around which was killing my back. 

Really sucks because i'm getting restless, my stupid anxiety is creeping back and i'm not sleeping much either but i'm trying to take everything in stride and keep a good attitude. Been kinda RUF this past two weeks but such is life and all that jazz. 

I thrive in darkness/adversity so you can't keep a man like me down for long. I'll give it another month to be back to baseline and if it's still bugging me i'll might go see a physical therapist i know from the track i run at. 

Edited by StompGrind, 21 February 2018 - 03:30 PM.

#280 Nyte

Nyte

Nyte 3:16

• Free
  • 23,628 posts
  • LocationWhat?

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

going well, I'm sticking to what I said I would do in here before and that was just make it a lifestyle change.

I'm still exercising, watching my calories. Everything is starting to become a habit again and everything else will fall into place. I haven't checked my weight or anything, but I can tell I've lost a couple more since I've last posted.

Either way, going good. I'll still have a few hiccups here and there, it's inevitable, but just making sure I stay consistent with everything else.

Edited by Nyte, 21 February 2018 - 04:50 PM.

• ReturnoftheSoup and Bubba_Sparks like this

Team Amazin' 2013-'17

Founder of Threef

Resurgence of Ruffley

2013 Thread of the Year Winner

#281 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:54 PM

On my way home from work I picked up a pair of dumbbells, 40 pounds for each hand. They were the heaviest weights this Walmart had in stock. They're heavy enough, though.

No I can do more than bodyweight exercises. Now I can crank it up a notch.

conair.gif?w=780

#282 Nyte

Nyte

Nyte 3:16

• Free
  • 23,628 posts
  • LocationWhat?

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:48 AM

do you guys take vitamins throughout the day or any like iron/magesium-type vitamins?

If so, what do you recommend?

I used to take Herbalife vitamins back in 2013 and I thought those worked out well for me. Long story short, started taking them again. I'll post the link to them below

https://www.amazon.c...L4UCYXLKO&psc=1

^I definitely wanted to try this one again since it helps optimize your metabolism.

https://www.amazon.c...L4UCYXLKO&psc=0

I feel like it's better than taking nothing. Not sure if I'm placebo-ing myself, but I do feel like they are helping me. I've noticed, especially with the multivitamin pill that helps your metabolism, that my bowel movements are coming way earlier than they used to and I feel better throughout the day. I know this is all with the fact I'm eating better and whatnot, but I can feel a difference with them.

What do you guys think?

• StompGrind likes this

Team Amazin' 2013-'17

Founder of Threef

Resurgence of Ruffley

2013 Thread of the Year Winner

#283 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

I'm headed out the door for a long walk, a short jog and a ton of hill sprints.
  • StompGrind likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#284 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

do you guys take vitamins throughout the day or any like iron/magesium-type vitamins?

I used to take Herbalife vitamins back in 2013 and I thought those worked out well for me. Long story short, started taking them again. I'll post the link to them below

^I definitely wanted to try this one again since it helps optimize your metabolism.

I feel like it's better than taking nothing. Not sure if I'm placebo-ing myself, but I do feel like they are helping me. I've noticed, especially with the multivitamin pill that helps your metabolism, that my bowel movements are coming way earlier than they used to and I feel better throughout the day. I know this is all with the fact I'm eating better and whatnot, but I can feel a difference with them.

What do you guys think?

I take a multi-vitamin just to cover anything my diet might be missing. 

I don't really bother with anything else except maybe protein powder more out of being too lazy to cook a lot and it's a convenient way for a quick meal supplement. 

Yeah there is a lot of BS out there. I used to take Glutamine and Chondroitin for my joints which i thought was kinda working but my doctor told me it's unlikely it has any effect so i did some research and from what i gathered placebo groups did just as well in studies. 

Edited by StompGrind, 22 February 2018 - 04:57 PM.

#285 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

What do you guys think?

Honestly I'm of the 'if you can get it from food. ...get it from food!'. I used to mess around with protein shakes/vitamins/amino acids but honestly for me I get much better results from eating correctly. Instead of a vitamin or a shake I would just have a small meal that has the stuff you want in it.

Again though I'm absolutely no expert lol.
  • amunera likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#286 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

Honestly I'm of the 'if you can get it from food. ...get it from food!'. I used to mess around with protein shakes/vitamins/amino acids but honestly for me I get much better results from eating correctly. Instead of a vitamin or a shake I would just have a small meal that has the stuff you want in it.

Again though I'm absolutely no expert lol.

I agree with this. I absolutely, 100% agree with this.

But I also recognize there's a time and place for supplements. And since we don't live in an ideal world, that time is always and that place is pretty much everywhere.

Our food is junk, even if we're just eating fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh meats and whole grains and whatnot. Fruits and vegetables are often pretty green when they are packed and then ripened with nitrous, so they're devoid of most of the vitamins and nutrients that we would like to take for granted. I believe there is something wrong with meat, too. I don't really know what it is because I'm not a scientist or nutrition expert, but I know there's something junky about it. Steroids maybe? Our grains are probably also messed up. Also fish could be a problem. I'm almost 2000 miles from the nearest ocean, so I don't even want to think about the condition of our fish.

And while we can really put the time in for breakfast, and we can go bananas for healthy dinner preparation, but lunches are always going to be compromised, because we are at work. Now if we REALLY want to go the extra mile and we don't have make excuses, we can pack a sandwich made with fresh roasted turkey or chicken or whatever (as opposed to some overprocessed factory cold cuts) with lettuce and tomato on whole wheat and then maybe a salad, a real salad, and then pack it in a special lunch box and alienate everyone at work. But we're still going to make the same compromises on the quality of the ingredients.

So unless we're living on a farm or we can afford all organic and we have the time and the discipline to do some serious meal planning, a multivitamin, a fish oil capsule or two and protein powder will make the difference.

I don't think fitness and health should be so far out of most peoples grasp. If they work out and avoid eating total crapola, I don't think we should begrudge them if they have to take a couple cut a couple corners and do the multivitamin, fish oil supplement, protein powder combo.

Anyway, nocake, you're right. I agree with you. It's just really hard to do it.

Edited by Megasoup, 22 February 2018 - 10:21 PM.

• NoCakeForYaya likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#287 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:06 AM

I last post might've come off as if I was taking a dump on nocake, but I didn't mean it that way. Sorry, my friend.

Earlier on I went for my run and I did it exactly as I said I was going to.

-I walked a little over two miles. Basically I was just checking on where I parked my truck, to make sure it's OK and then I came back.

-Then I ran just under 1 mile with medium-light intensity. The medium light intensity was because my ankle has been bothering me and pounding on these concrete sidewalks is troublesome, so I was making sure I was landing very gingerly. I'm hoping the problem will go away if I lose weight. The distance is because that is how far away the isolated hill that I go to happens to be.

- I sprinted that hill over and over until it made me sick. I go all out from the bottom to the top, 30 seconds of going all out. I've timed it. It's not a big hill, not a small hill. When I get to the top I merely turned around and I jog halfway down the hill. At a little past the halfway mark I walk to catch my breath. Then I do it over again right away. I did it nine times. Then I walked home.

Later on I work with my dumbbells. As a matter fact, I just got finished with them. I'm really glad that I have them because I'm trying to build up by tendon strength in my elbow, so I can't really go all out on the pull-ups. But I seem to be able to do bent over rows with the dumbbells without aggravating anything. It works the same muscle group, so I'm good. Here's what I did, not counting the warm-up.

- super setted the bent over rows and triceps extensions with the dumbbells. In between each set, I did just a couple pull-ups, not enough where it was challenging or anything, but just enough to continue to strengthen my tendons. Five sets.

-I did four sets of deadlifts/dumbbell shrugs has a combo exercise. The weight I'm working with really isn't sufficient to do deadlifts, but it's better than doing no deadlifts at all. After I did for frustratingly ineffective sets of that, I did away with the deadlifts and just burned out my traps with the shrugs.

-I did a little mini circuit of wrist curls, captains of crush grip squeezes, and some neck resistance exercises. I did a bunch of this, I didn't really count how many sets.

That's what I did today. It wasn't a big deal, I'm still trying to get my body going. I'm more interested in getting everything in my body fully prepared and reacquainted with training before I start working out hard again.

Edited by Megasoup, 23 February 2018 - 12:30 AM.

conair.gif?w=780

#288 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:46 AM

Lol soup no big deal man. I actually also agree with you. In reality though nyte isn't trying to be mr olympia or a pro athlete, so I reckon he can manage with our low grade food!

conair.gif?w=780

#289 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

I hope you guys are doing something every day. I know I have.

Right now my hotel bar is empty. So I'm knocking out push-ups.
  • amunera likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#290 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

Next week i'm gonna try to start doing longer workouts regularly again. My back is feeling a little better now but i still can't do a lot or with any real consistency other than walking and a little stretching. 

#291 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

Next week i'm gonna try to start doing longer workouts regularly again. My back is feeling a little better now but i still can't do a lot or with any real consistency other than walking and a little stretching.

Figure out where you can comfortably do, and do that. I bet it doesn't affect your back when you do wrist curls. Maybe not concentration curls, either, I don't know how bad your back is.

Can you do lunges? Bench presses? Fire hydrants? Neck resistance training? Isometric exercises might be good for you, if you can manage their tedious nature of that sort of thing.

There's got to be stuff that you can do. You might find some exercises you've never done before and shore up weaknesses you didn't even know you had, if you look for them. You are a fit guy, but that came from the hard work you put in. I want you to keep all of that.
  • StompGrind likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#292 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Figure out where you can comfortably do, and do that. I bet it doesn't affect your back when you do wrist curls. Maybe not concentration curls, either, I don't know how bad your back is.

Can you do lunges? Bench presses? Fire hydrants? Neck resistance training? Isometric exercises might be good for you, if you can manage their tedious nature of that sort of thing.

There's got to be stuff that you can do. You might find some exercises you've never done before and shore up weaknesses you didn't even know you had, if you look for them. You are a fit guy, but that came from the hard work you put in. I want you to keep all of that.

I've been doing walking, stretching, some resistance bands pulls, push-ups, dips and a few swiss ball exercises to loosen up my hips and core. I can only do a very limited amount of volume and no high intensity right now. My strength workouts are 20 min tops right now at light intensity, low volume and longer rest periods than i'm used to. I can't really do cardio right now other than walk a few miles dance a little for 15 or so min or fap lol. 

I can't do stuff like lunges, squats or deadlifts, bent-over rows or any kind of stuff weight bearing with my back arching, bending or twisting. That would kill my hips and lumbar right now. I'm almost certain this injury was my psoas was getting too tight and shortening so i ended up aggravating it with how i slept one night slumping and creating a stress point that pinched a nerve. 

For weights i don't have a bench or barbell just 25 and 30 lb. dumbells and a 20 lb kettelbell. I can do some DB curls, tricep extensions and DB bench presses/flys but that's about it and not a whole lot of that. Before this injury i was making some pretty good gainz. I was getting pretty muscular and ripped for my size. I'm kinda back to being sorta skinny fat at them moment and i kinda slacked on my diet as well. 

As far as weak areas that's mostly my lower/outer lats, lower outer chest, traps and the long head of the triceps nearer to the elbow. The way my body is built ( wide shoulders and slightly wonky double jointed arms ) those areas don't respond well. 

#293 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

I've been doing walking, stretching, some resistance bands pulls, push-ups, dips and a few swiss ball exercises to loosen up my hips and core. I can only do a very limited amount of volume and no high intensity right now. My strength workouts are 20 min tops right now at light intensity, low volume and longer rest periods than i'm used to. I can't really do cardio right now other than walk a few miles dance a little for 15 or so min or fap lol.

I can't do stuff like lunges, squats or deadlifts, bent-over rows or any kind of stuff weight bearing with my back arching, bending or twisting. That would kill my hips and lumbar right now. I'm almost certain this injury was my psoas was getting too tight and shortening so i ended up aggravating it with how i slept one night slumping and creating a stress point that pinched a nerve.

For weights i don't have a bench or barbell just 25 and 30 lb. dumbells and a 20 lb kettelbell. I can do some DB curls, tricep extensions and DB bench presses/flys but that's about it and not a whole lot of that. Before this injury i was making some pretty good gainz. I was getting pretty muscular and ripped for my size. I'm kinda back to being sorta skinny fat at them moment and i kinda slacked on my diet as well.

As far as weak areas that's mostly my lower/outer lats, lower outer chest, traps and the long head of the triceps nearer to the elbow. The way my body is built ( wide shoulders and slightly wonky double jointed arms ) those areas don't respond well.

Well, this is a good chance for you to focus on all those mirror muscles that the "experts" tell everyone are "pointless" or "don't count" or whatever. I'm not sure any of these strength and conditioning gurus would have the nerve to tell some of these muscleheads they "aren't doing it right" after they find it impossible to free themselves if one of these guys was to put them in an old school, bully head lock or if they got slammed to the table after an arm wrestling match.

Calves, forearms, biceps. You can do all of this guilt free because your back doesn't seem as if it is up to all those full-body exercises. Go ahead and work out that neck, too. There's a whole lot of other ways to exercise your neck without having to do a wrestlers bridge. You can stay seated in a chair and do it. And I bet those dips that you've been doing don't hurt your back a lick, and they go along way towards drinking up the lower part of your pecs, which you mentioned was a weakness.

Alright, just thinking about all the stuff has me pumped up. I'm off for a run.

Edited by Megasoup, 25 February 2018 - 04:31 PM.

• StompGrind likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#294 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

Did a walk to the track today. Felt ok but my left lumbar, hip and leg hurt on my way back. Yesterday i almost felt like it was getting to where i was nearly healed but this morning i woke up stuff again and felt pretty crappy with some nerve pain. 

One step forward three steps back. Man i h8 this. 

#295 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

Bubba i have a question for you. 

You ever get knots in your hamstrings from running so much? 

I massage my hammies in the shower sometimes when they are tight and when i brush my hand firm the length of my hamstring by the knee sometimes it can feel a little knotty in some areas. Like very very subtle micro tears or scar tissue or something.  

Screen-Shot-2012-02-08-at-8.59.48-PM.jpg

See this diagram ^^ See where the semitendinosus and the biceps femoris gets small near the knee? There's where i get it. 

Edited by StompGrind, 26 February 2018 - 04:53 PM.

#296 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 13,956 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

man im lifting alot tonight. beer and pizza. all night long baby!

swole is the goal. size is the prize.  it’s gains o clock motherf*ckers. lets go

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.

#297 NikkiNeversleep

NikkiNeversleep

• Free
  • 9,133 posts
  • LocationZion

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

I have now done yoga 3 days in a row.

• StompGrind and ReturnoftheSoup like this

#298 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

Bubba i have a question for you. 

You ever get knots in your hamstrings from running so much? 

I massage my hammies in the shower sometimes when they are tight and when i brush my hand firm the length of my hamstring by the knee sometimes it can feel a little knotty in some areas. Like very very subtle micro tears or scar tissue or something.  

Screen-Shot-2012-02-08-at-8.59.48-PM.jpg

See this diagram ^^ See where the semitendinosus and the biceps femoris gets small near the knee? There's where i get it. 

I've been fortunate - never had any running related issue (since I changed styles).  I had a sports massage after my first ultra and she was kinda sceptical that I'd just run 65 miles because everything was in order.

Does it cause you any pain? Something as simple as foam-rolling might keep it in check.

Sorry to hear you're having back issues still by the way mate.  You're gonna train like a beast though once this clears up.

#299 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

So most of my running is fairly steady trundling along - rarely go quicker than 10 minute miles; occasionally go a bit quicker on shorter runs.  Even my hill "sprints" tend to be more a steady slog up a long hill, rather than actual sprinting.

Decided I was getting mentally lazy today, plus we've actually got snow over here (~1 inch, but it's still bloody cold), so I did my hill training differently.  We live at the bottom of a hill that usually takes 5 minutes to jog up.  Usually I run up it 3 or 4 times but instead I found the steepest side, sprinted 50 steps, walked back down 50 steps, sprinted up another 50 and did this all the way to the top.  Only took around 15 minutes but I have not felt that knackered in years.  I think because the air was so cold and I was gasping for breath I felt absolutely horrendous by the top; spots in front of my eyes territory.

Haven't had that feeling for a while. I liked it.  Gonna do every other week's hills the same way. 

#300 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,392 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

I've been fortunate - never had any running related issue (since I changed styles).  I had a sports massage after my first ultra and she was kinda sceptical that I'd just run 65 miles because everything was in order.

Does it cause you any pain? Something as simple as foam-rolling might keep it in check.

Sorry to hear you're having back issues still by the way mate.  You're gonna train like a beast though once this clears up.

No there's no pain with it or maybe like a 2 on a scale to 10. Those areas i mentioned just get really stiff like they're shortening and my hamstrings get really sore when i run more than say 30 miles a week. Whenever that happens is when i notice the not so smooth micro tears or whatever that is. 

As far as going beast i'd rather train smarter. Getting tew old for dat chit. lol