• Please log in to reply
902 replies to this topic

#301 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

So, February has come to an end, another 200k in the books, did not manage the 2000m of elevation, got 1952 :)

Zcovlgq.png

Started my main training block for the spring so my mileage will increase a bit, 11 weeks out from my race :)

• StompGrind, Decompoze, ReturnoftheSoup and 1 other like this

Fighter Picks League 4 Champion
Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#302 OzStraya

OzStraya

The GOAT of Aussie GOATS

• Free
  • 27,904 posts
  • LocationCormier actually SUCKS

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

I'm sure we all relate

• StompGrind likes this

UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 9 CHAMPION                 UFC PREDICTION TOURNAMENT 14 CHAMPION

2015 CAMP LEAGUE CHAMPION                             P4P AUSSIE HYPE TRAIN CONTROLLER

v4MjFdj.png

#303 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts
  • LocationChamp Champs home state

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

Did another walk to the track. Still hurting on the way back. I guess 10 miles is a bit much for me right now. 

Oddly enough i can lift weights some, dance or do some calisthenics and it's not a problem as long as i avoid certain exercises and limit my intensity and volume. 

I think i'm gonna try to do an easy level yoga routine next and see how that feels. 

e323249005db0bcda6fa34bce037f98e.jpg

#304 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

I have been doing something every day. I hope you guys all have, too.

I just knocked out a good push up workout at work. Now I'm drinking the hotel's milk. It has to be very slow for me to do this, the bar literally has to be completely empty, but I still managed to make $65 in tips from the people who came in earlier. When I get home I expect to do a bunch of dumbbell presses and goblet squats.

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#305 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,573 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:15 AM

So, February has come to an end, another 200k in the books, did not manage the 2000m of elevation, got 1952 :)

Zcovlgq.png

Started my main training block for the spring so my mileage will increase a bit, 11 weeks out from my race :)

Great work Amunera.  Still kicking my **** as well!

I ran 87 miles in February (~140k).  Elevation gain of 5100 feet (so about 1600 M).

Will be interesting to see if I start catching you up when my ultra training kicks in.  You're about 120k ahead of me for the year though; that's going to take some catching!

I'm actually experimenting this year with only running 4 times a week in preparation for my ultra.  Will be interesting to see how that works compared to 6 at my peak.  There's a theory that you can be more rested as a result.

• Decompoze and amunera like this

#306 chons

chons
  • Free
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

I just tried this for the first time, 25 calories, 2g carbs, 6g fiber, pasta. It smells **** disgusting before the rinse, but it tastes just fine with pasta sauce. The texture is a bit odd compared to normal pasta. 

nuPastaKonjacSpaghettiWatermarked.jpg

• Decompoze likes this

#307 Nyte

Nyte

Nyte 3:16

• Free
  • 23,643 posts
  • LocationWhat?

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Had a little hiccup last week of February cause I went to Arizona for spring training and ate some pretty good food out there, but didn't drink too much surprisingly.

Other than that I'm back on pace with everything still, bout to go for a run here pretty soon
  • Decompoze and ReturnoftheSoup like this

Team Amazin' 2013-'17

Founder of Threef

Resurgence of Ruffley

2013 Thread of the Year Winner

#308 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Just finished doing some yoga tonight. Felt pretty good. I need to get my diet back on track. Kinda been eating crappy. 

#309 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:16 AM

Where did I leave off? Doing push-ups in my bar? I ended up doing a ton of them, really good workout. I also ended up making a little over $110. Not bad for an empty bar, but terrible for a Friday night.

I've had the last three nights off, but I have the next five nights on. But the three nights I've had off I worked out twice each night. Some sort of dumbbell and calisthenics training in the afternoon and cardio at night. Two of the nights were hard runs, and one of the nights was a hard, blistering paced (for me, anyhow) 20 mile bike ride. Lots of stretching. Lots of walking, too. I didn't count the walking as a workout, though.

Although this is not on a diet and nutrition thread, and I really don't want it to turn into one, I've been eating clean. No sweets or cookies or cakes or pies or snickers bars. No alcohol. And no soda. I haven't drank soda in 22 years.

Edited by Megasoup, 06 March 2018 - 02:18 AM.

• Decompoze likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#310 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,573 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

Nutrition is a key part of fitness soup. Some say it's more important than how you train, so don't worry about the thread going down that route.
  • StompGrind, Decompoze and chons like this

#311 Decompoze

Decompoze
  • Free
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:49 AM

Alright, I need to get back into fitness/nutrition as I'm not happy when I'm eating garbage and not lifting.

I'm going to do a little accountability thing here where if I miss two workouts in this 8 week block then there will be a punishment. Failure will either yield a month long av decided on by you gentlemen or I'll have to post a fitness picture of myself or something, haven't decided yet. Anyone else is of course welcome on this journey.

Will post my plan for week 1 in a bit which will start today.

• StompGrind, Bubba_Sparks, amunera and 1 other like this

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb...they refuse, they cling to the realm or gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

#312 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:04 AM

Alright, I need to get back into fitness/nutrition as I'm not happy when I'm eating garbage and not lifting.

I'm going to do a little accountability thing here where if I miss two workouts in this 8 week block then there will be a punishment. Failure will either yield a month long av decided on by you gentlemen or I'll have to post a fitness picture of myself or something, haven't decided yet. Anyone else is of course welcome on this journey.

Will post my plan for week 1 in a bit which will start today.

get ready to change your username to DeCANpoze if you fail any workout m8 :P

• StompGrind, Decompoze and chons like this

Fav:
HW: JDS/Nelson LHW: Evans WW: Maia/Sanchez LW: Miller/J-Lau FW:Siver BW TBA FlW: Benavidez
conair.gif?w=780

#313 Decompoze

Decompoze
  • Free
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

get ready to change your username to DeCANpoze if you fail any workout m8 :P

LOL perfect. I'm thinking avoiding a Koscheck av will be ample motivation as well.

This workout block will have an emphasis on chest and biceps (seeing improvements in vanity muscles will keep me in the game early on)

Week 1

Will be easing back into it gently. Going to go with an upper/lower split this time around.

-2 upper body workouts

-2 lower body workouts

-1 cardio work out in the form of hockey

-2 work sets for chest/biceps / 1 work set for the rest (back, lats, traps, forearms tris, abs, etc)

-2 work sets for quads, hamstrings, and calves

Easy peezy

Edit: the nutrition goal this week is to really up my protein intake because it's dismal. As well as get my multi vitamins and fish oil into me. Going to really focus on not being too lazy to prepare my lunch so I avoid fast food.

Edited by Decompoze, 06 March 2018 - 06:39 AM.

• Bubba_Sparks and chons like this

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb...they refuse, they cling to the realm or gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

#314 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,573 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

LOL perfect. I'm thinking avoiding a Koscheck av will be ample motivation as well.

This workout block will have an emphasis on chest and biceps (seeing improvements in vanity muscles will keep me in the game early on)

Week 1

Will be easing back into it gently. Going to go with an upper/lower split this time around.

-2 upper body workouts

-2 lower body workouts

-2 work sets for chest/biceps / 1 work set for the rest (back, lats, traps, forearms tris, abs, etc)

Easy peezy

Edit: the nutrition goal this week is to really up my protein intake because it's dismal. As well as get my multi vitamins and fish oil into me. Going to really focus on not being too lazy to prepare my lunch so I avoid fast food.

Best way to increase your protein intake is to try and find ways to incorporate a little bit extra into your every day meals and snacks.

If you have porridge for example, add some seeds to it.  Put a bit of almond butter on your oat-cakes, or other snack, and have a handful of nuts whenever you have fruit.

So how many training sessions are you planning this week?  I reckon you get a strike every time you miss one (not this week - this year), and 3 strikes and this brave warrior becomes your AV.

I spent some time finding a particularly obnoxious one.

Koscheck-Josh-UFC106-2.jpg?1279920090

• Decompoze, amunera and chons like this

#315 Decompoze

Decompoze
  • Free
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

Best way to increase your protein intake is to try and find ways to incorporate a little bit extra into your every day meals and snacks.

If you have porridge for example, add some seeds to it.  Put a bit of almond butter on your oat-cakes, or other snack, and have a handful of nuts whenever you have fruit.

So how many training sessions are you planning this week?  I reckon you get a strike every time you miss one (not this week - this year), and 3 strikes and this brave warrior becomes your AV.

I spent some time finding a particularly obnoxious one.

Koscheck-Josh-UFC106-2.jpg?1279920090

LOL, god his smugness is so unjustified. It's perfect

This week there will be 4 work outs + 1 cardio-ish workout. My training block will be 8 weeks and each will look like the below in terms of total workouts. Volume and intensity will increase from week 3-6 or 7 and then one easier deload week at 8 if my body needs it. Where it's only 8 weeks, I'm going to say missing two workouts will gain me the koscheck lol.

Today - upper body

Wednesday - lower body

Thursday - rest

Friday - upper body

Saturday - lower body

Sunday - hockey

Monday - rest

Totally agree about the protein. My issue now is I'm straight up missing meals or eating crap. Going to grab some protein powder, eggs and tuna today which will put me on auto pilot for breakfast, lunch and pre/post workout. That alone will jump things up 80-100 grams. Then I'll probably incorporate the tips you mentioned and I'll be good to go.

Edited by Decompoze, 06 March 2018 - 08:40 AM.

• StompGrind, Bubba_Sparks and amunera like this

#316 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

Week 1

-2 upper body workouts

-2 lower body workouts

Easy peezy

If i were you i'd do the opposite. Part of my back issue is probably because i enjoyed working on my show muscles more than i did my go muscles. 

Fk that....vanity you've taken everything i'm working for MF'er. I'mma fight your fk'ing a$$ posterior chain not these clown muscles that look good in the mirror. 

• Decompoze, Bubba_Sparks and amunera like this

#317 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,573 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

Stomp makes a really good point actually. Most people live a lifestyle that leads to a weak posterior chain, and compounds that by exercising more of the anterior chain (cos you can see them in a mirror).

I've done double the training for back muscles than chest/shoulders for years now and people often comment I don't have the posture of someone who works at a desk. Play the long game deco!

#318 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

Nutrition is a key part of fitness soup. Some say it's more important than how you train, so don't worry about the thread going down that route.

Oh, I agree. As a matter of fact, I believe someone should start a thread specifically addressing nutrition. I think the subject of fitness and training is already so broad, and I would hate to see it diluted with nutrition and supplements and meal preparation and different diets.
  • Bubba_Sparks likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#319 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

If i were you i'd do the opposite. Part of my back issue is probably because i enjoyed working on my show muscles more than i did my go muscles.

Fk that....vanity you've taken everything i'm working for MF'er. I'mma fight your fk'ing a$$ posterior chain not these clown muscles that look good in the mirror.

It's curious that chest and abs have gotten the reputation of "mirror muscles." Fact is, training abs won't give anyone abs. And big pecs are not impressive if the rest isn't, doesn't matter if someone is skinny or fat. When someone has big lats and big traps and an erect posture, they look good. When a man has those, he will always have big arms and big shoulders. And with that package all nicely assembled, a man can have a big stomach and still look good, because he looks like a man.
  • Decompoze likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#320 Decompoze

Decompoze
  • Free
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

I lol'd but also well said

Stomp makes a really good point actually. Most people live a lifestyle that leads to a weak posterior chain, and compounds that by exercising more of the anterior chain (cos you can see them in a mirror).

I've done double the training for back muscles than chest/shoulders for years now and people often comment I don't have the posture of someone who works at a desk. Play the long game deco!

For sure, all excellent advice. There was a second reason behind the chest specialization as well and it comes down to the fact my back and legs have always been much stronger and grow much easier so I know that this route always helps me make gains across the board fairly evenly. I didn't specify a specialization for my lower body because of nature of the muscle groups but they will be getting similar volume.

My chest has historically been my lagging muscle group and my stupid fookin calves will grow with absolute minimal effort, it's frustrating.

No excuse for the extra bicep work though, that's pure vanity. lol

Alright, time to go see how weak I've gotten.

• StompGrind and Bubba_Sparks like this

#321 amunera

amunera

It takes two to beef

• Free
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

LOL, and here I am just doing leg workouts and a bit of core, with push ups (mostly from knees) at most for upper body strength :P

If I could get a decent pull-up bar I would like to start working on my upper back, cause I have always been a MASSIVE can with regards to upper body strength :D

• Decompoze and Bubba_Sparks like this

Fav:
conair.gif?w=780

#322 Decompoze

Decompoze
  • Free
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

LOL, and here I am just doing leg workouts and a bit of core, with push ups (mostly from knees) at most for upper body strength :P

If I could get a decent pull-up bar I would like to start working on my upper back, cause I have always been a MASSIVE can with regards to upper body strength :D

Dont feel bad amunera , just did some wide grip pull ups and i was extremely canly.

Also, I've decided to let biceps take a backseat to back, the bubbastomp making too much sense.

Edited by Decompoze, 06 March 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#323 Nyte

Nyte

• Free
  • 23,643 posts
  • LocationWhat?

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

Went for another run today and am feeling a lot better.

I wish I could run more throughout the week, I exercise Sunday thru Tuesdays

My work schedule is Wednesday thru Saturday and I'm working night shift and 12+ hours each day and it's difficult to find the motivation to run after work.

Good thing is I'm still eating well during work days and I'm on my feet most of the time getting exercise naturally if you will

Think I'll commit to maybe 1-2 days of cardio after work then still use my other 3 days of exercise

That way I have 4 days of exercise throughout the week. Just need to keep my good habits going and I'll be back in optimal shape sometime towards the end of the year

Team Amazin' 2013-'17

Founder of Threef

Resurgence of Ruffley

#324 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

April 19th is the day I'm back from my travels. Will spend the weekend catching up with family. Got a job interview lined up for April 23rd. Which means April 24th is the day I renew my gym membership and smash some squats. I'd just got my squat to 150kg before I left (which is great for me), but it'll be way lower. Looking at having it back and up to 170kg by this Christmas (which wont be bad for a 77kg man lol).

conair.gif?w=780

#325 Decompoze

Decompoze
  • Free
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

April 19th is the day I'm back from my travels. Will spend the weekend catching up with family. Got a job interview lined up for April 23rd. Which means April 24th is the day I renew my gym membership and smash some squats. I'd just got my squat to 150kg before I left (which is great for me), but it'll be way lower. Looking at having it back and up to 170kg by this Christmas (which wont be bad for a 77kg man lol).

That's awesome man. Is that a 1RM or multiple.

#326 *BEG*

*BEG*
  • Free
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

Been warming up here so most days I've been able to get off the elliptical and back to walking. I walk about 5km. It's so much better in the fresh air than spinning around in a basement. It snowed today so I didn't go, but generally I should be able to walk every day very soon!

#327 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

That's awesome man. Is that a 1RM or multiple.

Was 2 rep max so not multiple, but will be looking at hitting multiple soon!
  • Decompoze likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#328 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

I've been ramping it up. I'm getting there. I'm getting strong. I'm going to get really strong. I'm going to look really good.

Some of you guys on here have taking their fitness to high levels before, and I'm going to assume that a lot of you haven't. I'm not being presumptuous, that's just the way the world is.

I'm also going to assume that at least a handful of you guys would like to see some really dramatic changes in the way you look. For those of you who have worked out before and have gone on diets before and didn't see these kinds of results, I'm going to tell you what you need to do.

You have to diet and exercise, obviously. You have to do them both. But the body has a tendency of adapting, and I will do it quickly. There's two approaches you can take, and you have to take them seriously.

1. You have to be very, very strict and specific with your diet. I mean, you have to be like a freaking scientist. And you have to push yourself in the gym a little.

or

2. You have to be a freaking mad man with your workouts, pushing yourself way, way beyond what you ever thought you were capable of. And you have to diet a little.

On paper, they closely resemble each other. Heck, in reality they closely resemble each other. The thing that's very, very important is pushing yourself to absolute extremes, whether it be the dieting or the working out. Don't think that just because you're doing both of them, you can take it easy. That is not going to work. It hasn't worked for you before, has it?

Because if you diet a little and exercise a little, you're only going to get a little.

Obviously you can go to extremes with both of these. You'll get even better results. But there's no reason for your life to have to suck that bad. It's not like you're a professional athlete.

*edit. I can't emphasize enough just how extreme "extreme" needs to be. I know for a fact that most people spend their entire lives without putting themselves through a workout where they are really pushing themselves to the edge.

Edited by Megasoup, 10 March 2018 - 12:41 AM.

conair.gif?w=780

#329 *BEG*

*BEG*
  • Free
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:25 AM

So as part of changing up my routines and moving as much as I can, I cleaned my shower and tub yesterday. That sounds simple, but I haven't been the one to do that in this house in over 2 years. I have actual old school ceramic tiles covering all sides of the shower walls straight up to the ceiling. So this exercise involves using a scrubber and literally getting every square inch of that entire area and scrubbing all the grout in between each square as well. It took about two hours non-stop. I was a savage. I redid all the caulking surrounding the tub as well. Looks great and turned out to be quite the workout. Rewarded myself with a looooong bath in my freshly scrubbed tub. It worked too from an exercise perspective because I'm sore in all those little muscle spots pretty much all over my body. Arms the most. Lol

#330 Nyte

Nyte

• Free
  • 23,643 posts
  • LocationWhat?

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

^looooong bath

Lol Cole please stahp

Team Amazin' 2013-'17

Founder of Threef

Resurgence of Ruffley

#331 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

Kinda converted half my room into a gym. A mat, resistance bands, swissball, dumbells, a kettlebell, my bodyweight and my will is all i need. 

MY WORKOUT

10 min gentle warm-up: Attention given to movements smoothly with limited ROM so i don't aggravate my back. 

- Side to side bends. 

- Forward/backward bends.

- Torso twisting.

- Cat /Cow spine bending from a standing position

- Hip Rotations, bends, and side to side motions. 

- Various shoulder rotations, swings, arm crossing, reaching and pulling motions to warm-up my chest and back muscles.  

- Neck rotations various types

Upperbody & Core "Sparta 300" Workout: Again nice smooth control through-out the mid range & took a brief pause on each end to focus on a decent stretch and contraction for the eccentric/concentric parts of the movements. 

- 20x5 for 100 reps of various dips on my brother's old walker. 

- 20x5 100 reps of various crunches on my swiss ball

- 20x5 100 reps of various rows/pulldowns with my resistance bands attached to my closet door frame. 

I did the above in rotation meaning i did a set or dips, then crunches then bands and cycled through in a circuit instead of doing all one thing then moving on to the next. 

20 min post workout stretch:  Focus was on breath, visualizing relaxing and just thinking positive thoughts. 

- Various stretches on my mat. Some more traditional and some from yoga. Emphasis on upperbody, core and hips. 

- Bridging & plank. Basically just resting stretch on my swissball so my poor back doesn't have to support my weight and i could get a gentle but relaxing stretch. Almost fell a sleep at one point. lol

- Rolling hips raises < like an incline press position then squatting down pretty low till my butt almost touches the floor similar to this. 

incline-swiss-ball-dumbbell-chest-press-

Back feels ok-ish. I've had to figure out ways around it. Some days it's better than others but not much better yet. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be getting any worse....knock on wood. 

Edited by StompGrind, 11 March 2018 - 07:53 PM.

#332 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 14,316 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:12 AM

well its been months since i got on my bike but i think this is the day fellas

i need to take my devinci in to the shop for a tuneup cause its in pretty rough shape since i retired it for the winter, but i think its still probably good for one more ride

gonna roll some joints and wait for it to warm up a little. its supposed to be nice today.  well, 2-9 degrees which is glorious compared to the weather we were having this winter, but ill just throw some warm clothes, boots and gloves on and i should be fine

shooting for 44 kilometers total which is kind of pathetic but considering i havent rode all winter i'd say its a good start.  if i can make it up to my spot and not give up on the way, cause its a bit of a haul to get there. hoping its not too cold or snowy up there anyways. either way im thinking it might be a good day for a ride, it might not but ill try to brave it out anyways.

Edited by -idyb-, 12 March 2018 - 05:13 AM.

• amunera and classicboxer like this

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.

#333 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 14,316 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

well someone on my cities biking page on facebook posted this yesterday to show how the conditions are up there

29103632_2241357706005608_88995175526825

and this is like right down by where i'm planning on heading. right at the bottom of the trail network too and its alot lower down then where i'd be starting.

good grief. looks like the snow pack is still hanging around. this might turn out to be a bit of an adventure. or a total disaster.  i guess im about 2 months early to get on the bike here but the weather looks nice and i wanna go riding. now i see this and i dunno just how far along up there im gonna be able to get.  i guess ill have to try to make my way up there to the trails and if theres too much snow ill have to find somewhere else to ride.

anyways yeah i got my chit all ready to go find somewhere to ride anyways. f*cking chit **** weather, the snows all gonna melt this month and then its gonna be all muddy and wet and flooded out everywhere until june before i can actually get some good riding in.

Edited by -idyb-, 12 March 2018 - 08:48 AM.

• Decompoze, amunera and classicboxer like this

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

#334 Nyte

Nyte

• Free
  • 23,643 posts
  • LocationWhat?

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

Finally checked my weight today for the first time in probably a month or so and proud to say I am down five pounds from the last point!!

I am very happy

That's 23 pounds total since November 1st! Imma keep doing what I'm doing, and even though it's not 10 pounds/month, I will still do five pounds/month, just need to keep up the consistency

• Decompoze, ReturnoftheSoup and chons like this

Team Amazin' 2013-'17

Founder of Threef

Resurgence of Ruffley

#335 Decompoze

Decompoze
  • Free
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Kinda converted half my room into a gym. A mat, resistance bands, swissball, dumbells, a kettlebell, my bodyweight and my will is all i need. 

MY WORKOUT

10 min gentle warm-up: Attention given to movements smoothly with limited ROM so i don't aggravate my back. 

- Side to side bends. 

- Forward/backward bends.

- Torso twisting.

- Cat /Cow spine bending from a standing position

- Hip Rotations, bends, and side to side motions. 

- Various shoulder rotations, swings, arm crossing, reaching and pulling motions to warm-up my chest and back muscles.  

- Neck rotations various types

Upperbody & Core "Sparta 300" Workout: Again nice smooth control through-out the mid range & took a brief pause on each end to focus on a decent stretch and contraction for the eccentric/concentric parts of the movements. 

- 20x5 for 100 reps of various dips on my brother's old walker. 

- 20x5 100 reps of various crunches on my swiss ball

- 20x5 100 reps of various rows/pulldowns with my resistance bands attached to my closet door frame. 

I did the above in rotation meaning i did a set or dips, then crunches then bands and cycled through in a circuit instead of doing all one thing then moving on to the next. 

20 min post workout stretch:  Focus was on breath, visualizing relaxing and just thinking positive thoughts. 

- Various stretches on my mat. Some more traditional and some from yoga. Emphasis on upperbody, core and hips. 

- Bridging & plank. Basically just resting stretch on my swissball so my poor back doesn't have to support my weight and i could get a gentle but relaxing stretch. Almost fell a sleep at one point. lol

- Rolling hips raises < like an incline press position then squatting down pretty low till my butt almost touches the floor similar to this. 

incline-swiss-ball-dumbbell-chest-press-

Back feels ok-ish. I've had to figure out ways around it. Some days it's better than others but not much better yet. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be getting any worse....knock on wood. 

It's good to see the stretching getting lots of attention. It's so vital. I know you are a big advocate for it.

Week 2 has gotten underway and my Koscheck accountability has worked as I definitely squeezed a workout in last week that I would have normally bailed on. Protein is way up, just have to keep fine tuning the diet for this week and stay on top of meal prep.

• ReturnoftheSoup, Bubba_Sparks and amunera like this

#336 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

Yesterday was the first day in quite a stretch that I didn't workout. I didn't exercise because I didn't feel like it. It is a common believe that you should take rest days, but I'm not so sure about all these scheduled rest days. I think the best time to take off is simply when you just don't feel like working out, provided that you're listening to your body and not to your weak spine.

I am absolutely getting stronger and faster. There's no doubt my endurance is way up. And there's not a thing on me that is sore. I feel like that's a pretty decent feat for 39-year-old in the short span of a couple months.

Take any advice I give with a grain of salt, because I'm just a guy on the Internet. That being said, I have been working out my entire adult life. I've been in great shape and I've been in bad shape; I've been in both kinds of shape many, many times. There are certainly countless out there who had instruction and hold certifications and maybe even degrees pertaining to physical fitness, and they know more than me. But I definitely know how to get in shape and I definitely know what I'm talking about. I just don't know how to do it the easy way.

Edited by Megasoup, 13 March 2018 - 06:08 PM.

conair.gif?w=780

#337 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

Here's the best piece of advice I can give, and this is what I'm practicing right now:

Start at a level that's fairly easy for you. Then progress slowly over time. The point to get bigger and stronger, right? Very difficult to do more the next workout if you pushed yourself to the max on your very first one. How are you going to see progress with something like that?

If you start out and about (and I'm going to pick an arbitrary number here) 50% of what you're capable of and set up some sort of schedule where you're slowly progressing at a rate where your hitting your day 1 max at week six, let me tell you what's going to happen. You'll have a good six weeks of regular exercise under your belt and you're going to do more than your previous max on week seven and very likely more than that on week eight. In fact, it's hard to say what your new max is going to end up being.

My best example was from about seven years ago. My max push-ups in one go was 70-something. So I started doing 3 sets of 40, followed by elevated push-ups in dumbbell presses and stuff like that. Every week I added 4 reps. In three months I could do 130 push-ups in one set.

Now I'm currently not that young, not that motivated and not nearly as in shape as that driven and optimistic 32-year-old I once was. I don't expect to see that kind of progress that quickly. But the fundamentals are still the same and I'm not worried about what's going to happen in three months, anyway. I'm more worried about what's going to happen in 30 years.

conair.gif?w=780

#338 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

Another example of the progression, and this is a fairly different one.

When I had my convenience store I got a pull up bar. I hadn't done pull ups in years. I was 31 years old and had never really had an injury as a result of over exertion. Anyway, I was going all out and seeing very rapid progress. But I messed something up in my elbow inside a week and a half. That's right, I was seeing progress in a week and a half. Or at least it appeared I was seeing progress. And doing a little research to try to figure out what went wrong, I found that all the little parts of the body, muscles and tendons and all that jazz, don't strengthen themselves at the same speed.

I waited a long time to heal, I kept testing and I kept feeling the pain in my elbow. It was a year until I can feel the pain anymore. A year.

When I finally got to where I also I could do pull ups again, I started at one rep at a time, even though I felt a lot stronger. I did that for a couple weeks until I started doing two set a time, which I stayed in that range for a couple months. Over the course of a very long time, I slowly allowed myself to do eight at a time. And I just stayed there. I figured eight reps was enough, so I was sure I could do a lot more. How many more, I didn't know.

Then after about six months I started doing ten and then 12. But sets of 12 were super easy. So I wanted to see how many I could do and I did 26 and stopped myself, because I wanted to do 30 the next time, which I did. Once a week, I would do one set of 30. Other than that, I stayed in the 12 set range.

I started dancing salsa all the time and I was drinking more and more and I gave up on exercising for a few years so I couldn't do that many anymore. Then went to jail for a while and all I did was work out so I built up to about that amount again. Then I stopped working out again.

But now I'm at it again. I had been doing sets of two for January and February and now I'm on sets of three, but I don't know how many I can actually do. I figure if I had one rep per month, I'll be doing sets of 14 in December. I was only doing sets of 12 when I could max out at 30, so I feel like that's a pretty good program and it's really easy to follow.

conair.gif?w=780

#339 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 58,544 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

Your fingers certainly get a workout.
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#340 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

god damnit Stomp

• cashfl0w likes this

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

#341 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

I'm off work. I'm alone in this dark and shabby room. I haven't spoken to anyone all day. I haven't spoken to anyone outside of my bar in so long I can't remember.
  • cashfl0w likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#342 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

I'm flipping things around a little today. I usually do strengthening exercises as part of my first workout and then go for a run late at night. I do this because I want to be fresh when I lift. It's not really about effectiveness, it's about motivation. If I'm wore out, I'm not going to do a lot of anything.

But I really want to run on the grass today. The only place where there's any appreciable amount of grass is the Arch grounds and that is closed to the public by the time I usually get around to running, which is around midnight. They have round-the-clock patrols of federal cops whose only job is to keep people from terrorizing the park area with their late night jogging.

Their salaries, training, uniforms, equipment, vehicles and station are paid for with the taxes of those citizens who would only want to have a safe place to run downtown. They have arrested and booked me before. So I definitely cannot run there after a certain hour

It's not terribly sunny today, but the weather is great and I could use a long walk and then a long run. Later on tonight I will do all my pull-ups and dumbbell stuff.

Edited by Megasoup, 15 March 2018 - 01:17 PM.

conair.gif?w=780

#343 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

Cut some grass & took a walk to the track. I think i'm gonna skip the walk for a while now. Sucks because i can tell my cardio is chit now compared to what it was it's not even close.  

For whatever reason once i get past the 5+ mile mark my back and hip start irritating me and i can even feel nerve pain from my back all the way down in my leg. I had to stop and stretch on a bench for a good 5 min or i would have been limping back. I could just drive there but i prefer walking. I sold my bike a while back but I'm thinking about getting an electric bike. Haven't decided yet though. 

Oddly enough i can do some fairly physical things i.e. calisthenics, light dancing, some easy lifting & some yoga asana's pain free but anything with a long stride of moderate distance isn't one of them and anything ballistic like sprints, shadowboxing, plyo is out of the question for now so i'm not real sure what i can do for lung cardio that isn't muscular endurance strength based. 

#344 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,573 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

Exercise is firmly back to being just another part of my day again now.  Am running 5 times a week and doing weights/bodyweight exercise twice a week.  Have also started adding in one weighted hike a week as training for the JMT later this year.

Had a very satisfying run on Tuesday night.  As a back-story....I took my wife on a run for the first time 5 years ago. She got as far as the end of the road (about 100M) before giving up because she hated running.  There's a girl at my church who likes walking, loves sport...but hates running.  Then there's a lass at work who's into HIIT, but has never enjoyed running.  Anyway, last year the missus did a marathon.  I've started a running club at church and this girl now loves running.  And the lass at work has been running with me twice a week at lunch-times for the past month and absolutely loves it.  The four of us went for a run on Tuesday.  Did about 6 miles over very hilly terrain. It was awesome to run with 3 people who I felt I'd kind of `converted' to running.  It's good to encourage and to be encouraged.

I guess that's what this thread is about. Encouragement.  Keep up all the good work dudes.

• StompGrind likes this

#345 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

Oddly enough i can do some fairly physical things i.e. calisthenics, light dancing, some easy lifting & some yoga asana's pain free but anything with a long stride of moderate distance isn't one of them and anything ballistic like sprints, shadowboxing, plyo is out of the question for now so i'm not real sure what i can do for lung cardio that isn't muscular endurance strength based.

Totally not being sarcastic, but here are some ideas:

- bagpipes, other wind instruments maybe.
-blowing up air mattresses.
-some sort of deep breathing exercises, I know you're into that yoga/meditation stuff.

I know this does affect muscles, but it's very low impact and it is hell on the lungs. Swimming. Not swimming for fun or anything, but swimming laps and trying to do it just like Olympic swimmers do it. It super sucks. It's a heck of a lot different than swimming in a lake or a creek or public pool with friends. I typically have a great cardio and I have to take a breath after every lap, because my technique is terrible and I flail around like a retard, yet oddly try to go as fast as I possibly can.

Edited by Megasoup, 15 March 2018 - 03:52 PM.

• StompGrind likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#346 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:08 PM

Totally not being sarcastic, but here are some ideas:

- bagpipes, other wind instruments maybe.
-blowing up air mattresses.
-some sort of deep breathing exercises, I know you're into that yoga/meditation stuff.

I know this does affect muscles, but it's very low impact and it is hell on the lungs. Swimming. Not swimming for fun or anything, but swimming laps and trying to do it just like Olympic swimmers do it. It super sucks. It's a heck of a lot different than swimming in a lake or a creek or public pool with friends. I typically have a great cardio and I have to take a breath after every lap, because my technique is terrible and I flail around like a retard, yet oddly try to go as fast as I possibly can.

I do focus on syncing my breath when i stretch, do yoga or any physical activity really. I've kinda trained myself to do it without thinking but i hadn't really thought of doing it as a more isolated exercise for some time and that's a really good suggesting i wasn't considering. 

I stopped doing meditation but i might start doing some again with Wim Hof breathing and or Rickson diagram breathing which is pretty challenging on the lungs. My swiss ball i can use in place of an air mattress or wind instrument. 

I don't have access to a pool unfortunately. I would prefer that over anything. Great for your lungs, low impact and water just does something to me. Hard to describe but it has some sort of healing/recovery property for me and always makes me feel loose, charged and rejuvenated. Cold shock showers will have to do though. It's like my cryo or ice bath for pu$$ies lol. I haven't done those in a while cause it's been too damn cold and i'm a warm body with the climate down here. 

Thanks for the suggestion m8. I appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna add some stuff my routines. 

Edited by StompGrind, 15 March 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#347 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

I do focus on syncing my breath when i stretch, do yoga or any physical activity really. I've kinda trained myself to do it without thinking but i hadn't really thought of doing it as a more isolated exercise for some time and that's a really good suggesting i wasn't considering.

I stopped doing meditation but i might start doing some again with Wim Hof breathing and or Rickson diagram breathing which is pretty challenging on the lungs. My swiss ball i can use in place of an air mattress or wind instrument.

I don't have access to a pool unfortunately. I would prefer that over anything. Great for your lungs, low impact and water just does something to me. Hard to describe but it has some sort of healing/recovery property for me and always makes me feel loose, charged and rejuvenated. Cold shock showers will have to do though. It's like my cryo or ice bath for pu$$ies lol. I haven't done those in a while cause it's been too damn cold and i'm a warm body with the climate down here.

Thanks for the suggestion m8. I appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna add some stuff my routines.

Do the air mattress thing. Cheapest, easiest most accessible little trick you can probably do. Learning an instrument would be profound. Swimming would be great for you. But you go to Walmart tonight and pick up an air mattress for just a few dollars and be done with it.

conair.gif?w=780

#348 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

Do the air mattress thing. Cheapest, easiest most accessible little trick you can probably do. Learning an instrument would be profound. Swimming would be great for you. But you go to Walmart tonight and pick up an air mattress for just a few dollars and be done with it.

No need. I have the swiss ball that i can do that with.

#349 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

No need. I have the swiss ball that i can do that with.

About how big is it in centimeters? 😜

conair.gif?w=780

#350 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

About how big is it in centimeters?

No fk'ing clue but slightly bigger than standard. lmao!

• ReturnoftheSoup likes this