Sign in to follow this  
smwwrest

Vitor to retire following bout with Uriah Hall

https://www.mmanytt.com/latest-news/breaking-vitor-belfor-retire-fight-uriah-hall-sunday/

Vitor Belfort has dropped a bombshell ahead of his fight this weekend with Uriah Hall.

A career that has spanned nearly 21 years and which started in Sept. 1996, will apparently come to an end on Sunday evening at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

“This is my retirement fight,” Belfort told the UFC Unfiltered Podcast. “After that I’m going to put my body to rest. This is it. Breaking news.”

Belfort then went on to explain why now is the time for him to hang up the 4-oz gloves. Father time appears to have finally caught up with the UFC 12 Heavyweight Tournament Champion and he’s come to the realisation that his time in the sport as an active fighter is now finally done.

“I think I did more than enough,” Belfort said. “Just to think back, sometimes I flashback just like Matt said, and I’m like ‘Wow, I’m still doing this, wow man, this is crazy.’

“I’m very thankful, but I think my body need to rest. I have other things, I have a business of my own, I developed have a system, I developed a group class training system that we’re going to franchise. I just want to leave to help the sport in a way, work with the sport and help and do other things. We got to know the time to start and I think we need to know the time to end and it’s about time.”

Hitting 40-years-old appears to have played a big part in Belfort’s decision to call time on his career. Reflecting on what he’s accomplished, he’s happy with what he’s achieved ahead of his 42nd and final fight of his career on Sunday.

“You cannot tell me that the 40-year-old has a fresh body,” Belfort said. “Of course, it’s not the same. I’m very fortunate that I knew how to, I had a lot of experience and I had the chance to work with the best coaches and fitness products in the world, so I knew how to take care of my body, but I think it’s time you know. I’ve got kids and I want to be able to, I think I donate a lot of time in a lot of stuff to the sport and I think it’s time. I see the sport is growing and there are great talents.

“I’m just leaving the sport where guys in my era are never expected to still be fighting and still be relevant. I think I need to walk away and that was my journey. I accomplished a lot of great things and I want to do all the great things. I’m about to start on my second journey of life and I’m happy.”

ABOUT DAMN TIME

Edited by smwwrest
  • Like 2

I look forward to seeing his Bellator debut later in the year.

Either that or he'll win via a fluke KO & decide he's not done yet.

• Like 1

best Vitor news ive heard in awhile, too bad we have to watch him fight again though one more time

If he gets KO'd similar to that guy Uriah Hall killed on the TUF show it will be all worth it.

• Like 1

Deflator Belfort lands a counter roundhouse to Hall's missed wheel kick. Kills him dead, calls off his retirement then proceeds to fly kick Rockhold in the pills on his way out of the arena... please

Make it happen Uncle Dana

Edited by *Haze*

this pos is gonna say this is a sign from God that his fight was called off and he has now re-signed with the ufc for a 12 fight contract

• Like 1