I_Take_Roids_m8

It's that time of the year again for the scum to get their tax handouts..

I got my State return in, but thanks to the Protection Against Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, I have to wait until late February to see my Federal return.

Most of Europe pay a lot more tax than the states, but I guess it's largely offset by the savings on medical insurance.

The only time I really balk at tax is when I get my bonus - it's often 5 figures and 40% goes to the tax man. Then again, my colleagues in Belgium have to hand over 70% of bonuses so I guess there's always someone worse/better off!

One thing that amazed me in my little educational trip to Europe was how very similar they are to Canada. We enjoy much here, but alas, none of it is free. When I tell people my salary, they are dumbfounded but don't realize how much of that is taken off the top for taxes, unemployment insurance (whether I ever use it or not), and my half of my pension (which doesn't really count because I'll see that benefit down the road). Regardless though, at the end of the day I might only see half of my salary as net. I don't mind this though. We are raised here to understand that our country's people are only as strong as its weakest link. It's a mentality that's bred into us. The majority of Canadians just accept it and feel good that should we ever need it, that safety net is there. My husband is American and very proud to be, as he very well should. But, whenever we get into arguments about our respective countries (typically over gold medal hockey games), all I have to pull out is that you will NEVER see a homeless child in Canada. Not a one. It's unconscionable.

• Like 1

One thing that amazed me in my little educational trip to Europe was how very similar they are to Canada. We enjoy much here, but alas, none of it is free. When I tell people my salary, they are dumbfounded but don't realize how much of that is taken off the top for taxes, unemployment insurance (whether I ever use it or not), and my half of my pension (which doesn't really count because I'll see that benefit down the road). Regardless though, at the end of the day I might only see half of my salary as net. I don't mind this though. We are raised here to understand that our country's people are only as strong as its weakest link. It's a mentality that's bred into us. The majority of Canadians just accept it and feel good that should we ever need it, that safety net is there. My husband is American and very proud to be, as he very well should. But, whenever we get into arguments about our respective countries (typically over gold medal hockey games), all I have to pull out is that you will NEVER see a homeless child in Canada. Not a one. It's unconscionable.

I always laughed when I'd get into it with somebody like... I can't even remember his name now, noob something, on here. I'd push for more social programs in the States (healthcare being the biggest), and he'd call me a greedy freeloader or something. Like, WTF, I actually moved to Canada... I don't mind the larger taxes at all, and I make garbage money compared to what I made living in the States. 

• Like 1

welcome to being an adult m8

it's okay, I'd rather pay back taxes whilst earning a good paycheck then working that part time job I had and getting a stiff $300 back every year! lol

And I checked my W2, I paid 9k in federal taxes in 2017

Imma put my info into turbo tax when I have my days off this coming week, see what it comes out to

• Like 1

I never understood the fixation with taxes, unless you are starving or not getting what you need/want, who the f00k cares.

I never understood the fixation with taxes, unless you are starving or not getting what you need/want, who the f00k cares.

Because the convoluted US tax system is ****ed. No one should ever get back more in taxes than what they paid in but its quite common.
  • Like 6

Because the convoluted US tax system is ****. No one should ever get back more in taxes than what they paid in but its quite common.

I used to until I got promoted last year and then worked over 200 hours of OT. This year I got back just a hair less than I paid in. But I agree with the point you're making, I feel that everyone in this country, including businesses, should pay a flat rate and there should be no refunds at years end.

• Like 1

Because the convoluted US tax system is ****. No one should ever get back more in taxes than what they paid in but its quite common.

Do people on welfare get a tax return in the States? A couple people told me this was the case in Canada, but I never looked into it. It seems like one of the most absurd things in the universe if true. 

Do people on welfare get a tax return in the States? A couple people told me this was the case in Canada, but I never looked into it. It seems like one of the most absurd things in the universe if true.

If they are only on welfare no but if they have a low income job then yes.
  • Like 1

I used to until I got promoted last year and then worked over 200 hours of OT. This year I got back just a hair less than I paid in. But I agree with the point you're making, I feel that everyone in this country, including businesses, should pay a flat rate and there should be no refunds at years end.

I agree, make it a flat 5-10% and be done with it. Everyone can afford it and it would save us billions a year. Smaller tax prep companies may go bankrupt but so be it.
  • Like 1

As far as US tax law goes, absurdity is the name of the game.

• Like 2

Saw someone say they were getting an extra 300 dollars or something a paycheck because of the tax law, I just compared my check from yesterday to one from a year ago and they took out 5 dollars more lol.

• Like 2

Saw someone say they were getting an extra 300 dollars or something a paycheck because of the tax law, I just compared my check from yesterday to one from a year ago and they took out 5 dollars more lol.

cdr2fu6au2e01.jpg

• Like 4

That's weird, everyone that I've talked to has had it go up $50+ per check.

Either way, the tax cut will most likely be disastrous for the US debt, as all tax cuts have been since Reagan. Some people say that the debt means nothing so, what do I know? 

Either way, the tax cut will most likely be disastrous for the US debt, as all tax cuts have been since Reagan. Some people say that the debt means nothing so, what do I know?

1.5 trillion.

While I am pro tax cuts, this one seemed absurd. Couple years the average family will see about 4000$

Then they pay more.

Mea while huge corporations just made trillions for their small boards.

Not a smart tax plan when your just paying for it down the road with interest.

• Like 1

To be fair...I think that person was me. However, I won’t know what my new overall tax liability will be until I file taxes in 2019.

And, as I stated in the post, that was a combo of the raise I incurred plus the new tax law. This paycheck just happened to incur both simultaneously.

A story in Investor’s Business Daily said that my overall fed liability increased by $1000. So, I’m saving the monthly proceeds until I know what’s really going on. My overall liability could be even more than that.

Edited by Joby

Not a big deal, I’m pretty sure that at the end of the year my tax liability will still be zero, but it’s ironic that someone making like 36K a year takes home less, also because 2 weeks ago I switched to a new shift so half my hours don’t include the night differential, so I made less than a year ago and still paid more tax.

• Like 1

1.5 trillion.

While I am pro tax cuts, this one seemed absurd. Couple years the average family will see about 4000$

Then they pay more.

Mea while huge corporations just made trillions for their small boards.

Not a smart tax plan when your just paying for it down the road with interest.

I'm all for certain tax cuts, the middle class (as I see it), could sure use a break. Personally, I had no problem with the amount of taxes I was paying in the States. I was making just under 80k a year, somewhere between 12-14 years ago, I can only assume I'd be making well over 100k by now had I stayed at that job. Again, to go back to Reagan, I think he **** the bed with the oversimplification of the tax brackets. 

The obscenely wealthy though... hell no. Pay up. If I didn't have a problem with what I paid.... 

The middle class is what made America strong IMO and that demographic shrinks year after year. 

Not a big deal, I’m pretty sure that at the end of the year my tax liability will still be zero, but it’s ironic that someone making like 36K a year takes home less, also because 2 weeks ago I switched to a new shift so half my hours don’t include the night differential, so I made less than a year ago and still paid more tax.

Shenanigans! 

• Like 2

yeah I'm getting about $60 more on mine

As far as taxes go, I'd rather get more back on my check every two weeks than a lump some once a year that comprises of about 5% or less of the actual taxes they took away from me during the year

Shenanigans! 

Paid more upfront I should say. With the child tax credit I doubt I'll pay anything, but they hold onto my money for the year just to make sure. 

A good sanity check on all this will be the next paycheck...which will have about 25 hrs night differential on it. Once I see that total net pay, then I should have a good handle on what is going on here.

• Like 1

I'm thankful I don't have to file tax returns anywhere let alone the US after reading this absurdity, lol

• Like 4

Yes. A lot of them will get a job for a month or less just to file taxes. My fiancee druggie brother and his dirtbag girlfriend do that. They have six kids (not all the same fathers/mothers) and work a month out of the year. Just got their "return" and walked away with $14k combined between the two of them.

It doesn't pay to work anymore. Just have kids, be a loser, and profit.

The way I figured, with the housing, utilities, health insurance, food stamps, cash assurance, and tax returns, they're making over $100k a year, roughly what I make as a PA.

• Like 3

Yes. A lot of them will get a job for a month or less just to file taxes. My fiancee druggie brother and his dirtbag girlfriend do that. They have six kids (not all the same fathers/mothers) and work a month out of the year. Just got their "return" and walked away with $14k combined between the two of them.

It doesn't pay to work anymore. Just have kids, be a loser, and profit.

The way I figured, with the housing, utilities, health insurance, food stamps, cash assurance, and tax returns, they're making over $100k a year, roughly what I make as a PA.

You should get a credit for each kid up to three, and then lose one credit per additional child as an ***hole tax.

Edited by 12er™
  • Like 4

You should get a credit for each kid up to three, and then lose one credit per additional child as an ***hole tax.

I say two. :P Noob used to call me anti-human for saying people should pay extra taxes for three and over. 

• Like 2

@$$hole tax, the only kind of tax we don't have in America. That would be a debt eraser, right there.

• Like 4

lol I co-sign on the name as it can also be subconsciously construed to promote the best kind of birth control 

Use_the_backdoor_if_you_don_t_want_kids.

• Like 6

lol I co-sign on the name as it can also be subconsciously construed to promote the best kind of birth control 

tenor.gif

• Like 3

lol, that meme will ruin a million childhoods
  • Like 3

Your refund will be delivered to your bank on Feb 14th!

Finna pay some credit card debt and either get a switch or 3DS (2DS)

I need something for when work or school has down time.

• Like 1

Robert Higgs:

Many libertarians have embraced the slogan "taxation is theft." I myself think it is more precise to say that taxation is extortion. But even saying that fails to capture how egregious taxation really is, especially income taxation.

When a mugger or a home invader accosts you, he points a gun at you or waves a knife in your face and demands your wallet or some other property. In most cases, if you surrender your property to him as he demands, he takes it and flees, and you will most likely never see him again. He is, in the classic phrase, the roving bandit.

In contrast, the state is the stationary bandit. It extorts your money constantly, ceaselessly, and no amount of plunder sates its appetite for what rightfully belongs to you. You are milked endlessly by people who have no rightful claim to loot you, but do have the power to take even more of your wealth in the form of interest or penalties or to place you in a steel cage if you make too much of a fuss about being looted.

With income taxation, however, the matter is even more exasperating and outrageous. In this case, the state's legal henchmen construct an immense body of rules for determining how much tax is "owed" by persons in a nearly infinite variety of circumstances, depending on the form and source of the income, the amount, the timing of its receipt, the permissible deductions from the taxable amount, and so on. The rules run to thousands of pages, and tax experts themselves, including those employed by the tax collection agencies, cannot agree on the amount of tax liability associated with even a moderately complicated tax return.

Yet, despite the virtual impossibility of correctly calculating a person's tax liability, each person is held strictly to account, subject to criminal penalties, if he should miscalculate as determined by one of the tax collector's auditors. In short, people are charged with accomplishing the nearly impossible, then punished when they fail. Not surprisingly, countless people live in fear of the state's tax collectors, who are notorious not only for their stupidity, but for their aggressiveness, unreasonableness, and mercilessness.

So, people spend many hours of valuable time each year sweating over the accumulation of prescribed documents, filling out complex forms, and paying accountants and lawyers to help them steer clear of the horrors that lie in wait for those who make a misstep and get caught. And, to repeat, it never ends. Where is the mere roving bandit when we really need him?

Your refund will be delivered to your bank on Feb 14th!

Finna pay some credit card debt and either get a switch or 3DS (2DS)

I need something for when work or school has down time.

Yeah mine is supposed to hit Wednesday as well.  Also will be paying down the credit card 

That would be true for people who actually work, which this post isn't even about DUMMY.

Also, #taxationistheft

I did like the Higgs quote calling it extortion tho lol

• Like 1

I have taught you guys so well. 

What do you mean? You're some unknown can with 300 posts. You kept insisting you weren't BJJNoob because you rage quit the forum in an epic meltdown.

• Like 5

What do you mean? You're some unknown can with 300 posts. You kept insisting you weren't BJJNoob because you rage quit the forum in an epic meltdown.

That's it! I couldn't remember the BJJ part. 

• Like 4

That's it! I couldn't remember the BJJ part.

And I am happy to say I will no longer be posting here. I have tried as hard as any one person could to get you guys to see the beauty that is the NAP, and its all been in vain. You guys are just too dumb.

I have always been told that MMA appeals to a higher level IQ and it has at this point proven to be wholly inaccurate. I have never witnessed such a lack of logical thought in my life. Mind you my peers are all college students and professors so thats not a fair comparison, however it does not rebut the point that there is some real low level thought here.

I need to find something more on my level or I will no longer get better at logic. Later fellas it has been fun.

Edit: I will not welch. I'm not a **** like steelin_pigs_from_ blankets. And to my haters that already posted... Stay angry.

Edited by 12er™
  • Like 2