Sign in to follow this  
ReturnoftheSoup

30 Days, Clean and Sober

Every year I "dry out" for 30 days. I find this necessary because of my profession. I'm going to have an easier go of it this year, because I'm working at a hotel with business travelers and I'm not really "allowed" to drink anyway, even though I do.

I don't really care what the rules are. I'm a bartender and drinking is my prerogative.

Anyway, it's a lot easier this year than it was when I was at the burlesque club or when I was at the salsa club, though not nearly as easy as when I was in the workhouse ( I don't consider that cheating, I consider that being efficient.)

Throughout the year, I'll do miniature little 10-day periods of "drying out." I do this usually after a night of overindulgence. I'm not trying to get into a ****-measuring contest, but I drink a lot and sometimes I drink a whole lot.

I've been at this for six years, though I can't recall doing it the year before last. (Wait...never mind. I remember doing it now. It was because I was taking a prohormone, though. I don't think I was even thinking about my "tradition." That whole thing was a failure because I ended up not working out very much, rendering the whole thing useless. I didn't drink, though.)

Anyway, I've been doing it every year since October of 2013. A guy at Club Viva, a white guy whose family owns Ronnocco Coffee, told me how he does it every year. That's why I use the phrase "drying out," because I got the idea from him, and that was how he put it.

I'm not completely sure of the benefits. I don't believe it does any harm, though. I feel great when I do it. I always look forward to when I start drinking again. I will say one positive thing that I can definitely contribute to this: after I did it the first time, I never again went back to drinking the way I had before, although as a counterpoint I don't think I'm quite as fun as I used to be. You can probably even see it in my posting style.

Edited by Megasoup
  • Like 1

every time I drink lately the hangovers have been so brutal I've contemplated taking a break but drinking is just too much damn fun.

• Like 3

every time I drink lately the hangovers have been so brutal I've contemplated taking a break but drinking is just too much damn fun.

If your life is on track and you're having fun, you might as well drink up. The only downside is the debilitating effects this will have on your health and longevity, but that's a fairly small price to pay, eh?

You can choke on my johnson. Ill give you the double treatment **** and choke you at the same time till you cream in shorts

• Like 3

Ive seen 65.75 ufc title fights in person dummy

I have a truck, I don't need to ride a bike to beat you up, dummy.

Is that how this works?

• Like 8

I have a truck, I don't need to ride a bike to beat you up, dummy.

Is that how this works?

Least you have a truck dummy

• Like 7

If your life is on track and you're having fun, you might as well drink up. The only downside is the debilitating effects this will have on your health and longevity, but that's a fairly small price to pay, eh?

the only downside is that I lose an entire Sunday due to a fun Saturday night

other than that, no downfalls whatsoever 

I take regular breaks from drinking too. Every day from the time I go to bed at night till 5pm next day I take a break.

• Like 1

After my wife and I had our first child, I stopped getting wasted.  I would only drink casually and or have a beer here and there - especially after work when I had a hard day and need to unwind.  I would say it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

• Like 1

1.Only drink quality alcohol.

2.NEVER mix different alcohol types.

3.Drink water while poisoning yourself .And drink one more glass of water before you go to sleep.

I haven't got a hangover in years, and i do poison myself weekly.

• Like 1

3.Drink water while poisoning yourself .And drink one more glass of water before you go to sleep.

what is quality alcohol

I strongly agree with points 1 and 3, the idea that mixing spirits is any more "dangerous" than just sticking with a single product is misguided, although a commonly held belief based on reasonable observation. Great drinks are made from mixed spirits. Heck, some of the great scotches are blended malts, as are most Irish and American whiskies blended distillations.

People who have hangovers after drinking different alcoholic beverages usually have those hangovers because they drink excessively. It's likely that they had six beers, four tequila shots, and five or six Jack and cokes. And they probably didn't need anything. And they probably smoke cigarettes all night, too. Nearly 100% chance I didn't drink a single glass of water, either.

Eat something. Drink water. Take a shower before you go to bed. Get as much of a full night rest as possible. You won't have a hangover regardless of what you drink, as long as you keep it under 20 drinks.

(Truth be told, finding a bartender who can mix spirits into balanced ****tails is rare. So that's why I stuck with beer, straight liquor and highballs for my examples.)

I haven't drank in a while....that's not true i had a few beers this weekend for Mardi Gras. B4 that it's been a few months and i never drink more than a few like once or twice a month if that. I can't even remember the last time i got drunk. 

I may or may not have started smoking Mary Jane again almost every day since i hurt my back where b4 it was like once or twice a yr if that. 

Eh I cut back on my drinking. Not to say I dont have other problems but I keep that pretty under the radar.

Put the sizzurp down. I know you like to fly like a G6 but lean is dangerous!

• Like 2

the people who dont get hangovers are the people who didnt drink enough!

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

Yeah, point 3 is spot on. 

• Like 1

I haven't drank in a while....that's not true i had a few beers this weekend for Mardi Gras. B4 that it's been a few months and i never drink more than a few like once or twice a month if that. I can't even remember the last time i got drunk. 

I may or may not have started smoking Mary Jane again almost every day since i hurt my back where b4 it was like once or twice a yr if that. 

Put the sizzurp down. I know you like to fly like a G6 but lean is dangerous!

You know I realized I posted that, and then realized no one responded to it so I just kinda left it lmao

• Like 1

You know I realized I posted that, and then realized no one responded to it so I just kinda left it lmao

Kinda made me curious but since you said under the radar i figured i'd make a joke instead. 

• Like 1

More power to you man as I get older my hangover's get worse and I just can't hack more than two days drinking in a row lol

• Like 1

Well, I'm 10 days in. I don't like it, but if there is ever a time for sobriety, now is a good one. The bar that I work at is not very fun. And I don't have what I need to make great ****tails, anyway. And what's to celebrate? I'm in freakin' St. Louis.

Well, I'm 10 days in. I don't like it, but if there is ever a time for sobriety, now is a good one. The bar that I work at is not very fun. And I don't have what I need to make great ****tails, anyway. And what's to celebrate? I'm in freakin' St. Louis.

When you make an old fashioned do you prefer a rye or a straight whiskey?  I don't really care for rye's but I prefer Bulleit rye in an old fashion.

I can't remember the name of the cherry but my friend spent $25 on a single bottle of these damn things.  He uses Bulleit straight and his are actually stronger than this place called The Boat House that uses Bulleit Rye.  The ones at The Boat House taste better but are $13 a piece and I drank 4 just to get a decent buzz.

When you make an old fashioned do you prefer a rye or a straight whiskey? I don't really care for rye's but I prefer Bulleit rye in an old fashion.

I can't remember the name of the cherry but my friend spent $25 on a single bottle of these damn things. He uses Bulleit straight and his are actually stronger than this place called The Boat House that uses Bulleit Rye. The ones at The Boat House taste better but are $13 a piece and I drank 4 just to get a decent buzz.

Wihen I make old fashioneds for myself, I like to change it up. I can use rye, bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, I can do an ounce and a half of something normal for the base and then do a half ounce of a peaty Scotch. You can change out the bitters. There are tons of different pictures out there that have flavors that are very distinctive. Hell, change the garnish if you want to. You can do a lot of things to make one old-fashioned stand out from another while sticking to the basic formula of sugar, bitters and whiskey. But…

If I was to write a ****tail menu it would be bourbon. Reason for that is I would probably also want a sazerac on the menu and that one is going to be rye. I'm going to need those two drinks to be as dissimilar as possible.

But if no one's looking and I'm just making a quick snort for myself, I'll probably just use Jack Daniels.

Edited by Megasoup

You know what I've been into lately and I can't wait till I can start drinking again. Like after I mix a drink, I've been wanting to put a bar spoonful of some sort distinctive liquor on top. I don't have much in my bar right now, so it's just been a really dark rum or a cognac. I wish I had some Benedictine. I made a Vieux Carre a couple of hours ago and, in a pinch, I used a bar spoon of maple flavored rye.

How about you do one of those old fashions just the way you normally like it, but have a bar spoon of cherry brandy on top, eh?

Edited by Megasoup