36 replies to this topic

#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 10,289 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:08 AM

xAlexander-Gustafsson.png.pagespeed.ic.T

“Luke Rockhold, your teammate is holding my division hostage and you think there are only easy fights at light heavyweight? If you think [Yoel] Romero hits hard, then wait till you come to the big boys. I want Daniel Cormier, and knocking you out will keep me warm in the meantime. Beware of coming up in weight because I will be standing at the front door waiting.”— Alexander Gustafsson via his official Instagram.

Who you got in a fight between Gustafsson and Rockhold?

• TwennyFo and stehilton94 like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#2 stehilton94

stehilton94
  • Free
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:11 AM

Luke Rockhold will get beat by just about every single fighter in the top 5 of the Light Heavyweight rankings, they are all heavy hitters, I think Luke's title hopes in the UFC are gone at this point

• Joby, amunera, skillandpower and 5 others like this

#3 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Ultimate
  • 6,017 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:40 AM

^^ enough said.

• Joby likes this

Anything for $7

#4 Shkrelz

Shkrelz
  • Elite
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:08 AM

wouldnt even be a fight.. 

• skillandpower likes this

#5 agtx

agtx
  • Free
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

His chin can't handle mw punches so it seems not the best move but I think I'd be interested to see it.

tenor.gif

#6 JSW

JSW
  • Ultimate
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

Rockhold has been knocked out 4 times at MW ok. And yes 2 are recent. TRT Vitor was a while ago now but you have to consider he's depleted as fook at MW because of that cut which is why he sa about going up. He trains with bigger guys and is a big MW. I think he'd do fine.

Although he needs to sort out those hands being so low.

#7 I_Take_Roids_m8

I_Take_Roids_m8

#1 DC fan since day #1

• Free
  • 8,746 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:45 AM

Lol holding "my division up". After losing to DC and Jones and Rumble he's lucky to still have a job.
  • Joby, Eclipse76, skillandpower and 5 others like this
Khabib bodies all your favorite fighters.
Daniel Cormier = P4P GOAT

#8 stehilton94

stehilton94
  • Free
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

Lol holding "my division up". After losing to DC and Jones and Rumble he's lucky to still have a job.

Well I wouldn't agree he is lucky to have a job, hes a quality fighter, but yeah, no division is being held up, he got injured, not DC's fault he moved on, DC has every right to get a superfight, him and GSP are two of the only fighters that truly deserve it 

• GoToGuy likes this

#9 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

Interesting how Gus is now jumping on the 'trash talk wagon' lol

Anyways, back to the topic, he is right tho

• Joby, Kookork and Jolldan like this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"Who tha fook is that guy ?"

"I wove you Mi"

#10 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 10,289 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

Interesting how Gus is now jumping on the 'trash talk wagon' lol

Anyways, back to the topic, he is right tho

I actually kind of get it from a business stand point.

With Rumble gone, Jones future still up in the air and DC fighting Miocic there's not a lot of exciting fights for Gustafsson.

Rockhold is a decent name and a former champion so if he gets the fight with him and makes short work of Luke it definitely helps establish him as the next number one contender.

• Kookork and skillandpower like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#11 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:44 AM

I actually kind of get it from a business stand point.

With Rumble gone, Jones future still up in the air and DC fighting Miocic there's not a lot of exciting fights for Gustafsson.

Rockhold is a decent name and a former champion so if he gets the fight with him and makes short work of Luke it definitely helps establish him as the next number one contender.

I agree.

With Jones, Rumble and DC gone, yes I agree .. Gus would be, technically, the boss at 205 (lame tho).

This fight sounds good to me.

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#12 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 57,642 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

They need to ship Gus off to Cage Warriors or something.

Edited by cashfl0w, 14 February 2018 - 09:05 AM.

• skillandpower, PlatinumClegg and VertFTW like this
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#13 T.B.E

T.B.E
  • Free
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

I think Yoel probably hits harder than Gus

• juice64011, StompGrind, skillandpower and 3 others like this

#14 Joby

Joby
  • Free
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Gus is my boy...but this made me lol.  My advice to Gus would be to just shut up.

• Eclipse76 and PlatinumClegg like this

Seen: 167, 168, 173vip, 175vip/expo, 178vip, 183vip, Fight Night 73nashville, 192vip, TUF 22 Finalevip, Fight Night 81boston, Fight Night 90vegas/vip, TUF 23 Finalevip, 200vip, 201vip, 203vip

#15 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

Luke needs to move up but before he starts fighting top 10 guys at LHW here are the steps he needs to take:

1. Dump AKA, Henri Hooft, nutritionist and any other clown he has been working with up until now ASAP.

2. Get new camp...focus on improving grappling acumen, striking defense with new camp for the next 9 months at least.

3. Get a new Nutritionist with nutritionist focus on building a little more muscle mass to prep for LHW division.

4. For first fight needs to fight some unranked can to get a good feel for division.

5. For second fight he needs to fight a ranked can in 10-15 ranking(ie Corey anderson or Pat Cummings)

• Kookork likes this

#16 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

I think he would do fine in the 205 division. There won't be an appreciable difference in how hard they hit, and they will be a little slower (obviously, this is a generalization of one division versus another.) Where there WILL be a considerable difference will be in wrestling and grappling. I believe Luke will have the size and strength to handle that against anyone in the division.

Edited by Megasoup, 14 February 2018 - 11:58 AM.

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#17 juice64011

juice64011
  • Moderators
  • 27,492 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

I think Yoel probably hits harder than Gus

agreed
  • StompGrind, Eclipse76, PlatinumClegg and 1 other like this
MMA Prediction Tournament 3 Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 3 Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 4 ChampionOfficial JP24 Prediction League (2012) Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 18:TUF Champion
UFC Prediction Tournament 23 Champion

#18 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

I think he would do fine in the 205 division. There won't be an appreciable difference in how hard they hit, and they will be a little slower (obviously, this is a generalization of one division versus another.) Where there WILL be a considerable difference will be in wrestling and grappling. I believe Luke will have the size and strength to handle that against anyone in the division.

lol

#19 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

lol

You have just revealed yourself as someone who doesn't know. That's going to hurt your credibility in future forum debates.
  • cashfl0w, PlatinumClegg and CanPass like this

conair.gif?w=780

#20 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 57,642 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

You have just revealed yourself as someone who doesn't know. That's going to hurt your credibility in future forum debates.

He has none.

• PlatinumClegg, CanPass and VertFTW like this
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#21 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

explain to me how 'there won't be an appreciable difference in how hard they hit'

#22 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

explain to me how 'there won't be an appreciable difference in how hard they hit'

I feel like everyone on this form should understand this already, so I don't know if you're trolling, I feel like everyone on this form should understand this already, so I don't know if you're trolling, but here goes nothing...

They'll be a little stronger, but their punches will travel a little slower. There will be a little weight difference behind them, but not much. It's only a difference in one weight class.

The size difference really matters in wrestling, because up against the fence or with wrestling with an opponent on top, speed doesn't matter quite as much as brute strength. Size really matters here.
  • CanPass likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#23 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

I feel like everyone on this form should understand this already, so I don't know if you're trolling, I feel like everyone on this form should understand this already, so I don't know if you're trolling, but here goes nothing...

They'll be a little stronger, but their punches will travel a little slower. There will be a little weight difference behind them, but not much. It's only a difference in one weight class.

The size difference really matters in wrestling, because up against the fence or with wrestling with an opponent on top, speed doesn't matter quite as much as brute strength. Size really matters here.

lmao

All these guys are going to be guaranteed 20lbs heavier at the weigh ins plus 20-30 pounds they are weight cutting...

F=M * A  (At LHW M goes up for sure and A will trend down a little on average so that means F will increase...basic physics)

#24 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

lmao

All these guys are going to be guaranteed 20lbs heavier at the weigh ins plus 20-30 pounds they are weight cutting...

F=M * A (At LHW M goes up for sure and A will trend down a little on average so that means F will increase...basic physics)

You have some errors in your mathematics.

Your first example is flawed because you are assuming 40 to 45 pounds between the weight classes. In order for this to be accurate, you have to assume two things:

-the middleweight who fights 185 does not cut any weight.

- he doesn't gain any mass going from one fight to the other. He doesn't treat himself at the dinner table or make any effort in the weight room.

I can assure, neither of these will be the case.

The second point relies on you knowing a basic formula, but not executing it properly. Sure, force equals mass times acceleration. But you didn't assign values to mass or acceleration. And your example, we are just supposed to take for granted that the mass will be more, but the acceleration will not decrease all that much, so the force is just going to be "a lot more," instead of just "a little more."

This is very unscientific. You've assigned no values and you have no proof. If you believe "basic physics" back you up, then you are hardly a scientist. I would go as far as to say that you're dumb.

Edited by Megasoup, 14 February 2018 - 03:12 PM.

• CanPass likes this

conair.gif?w=780

#25 CanPass

CanPass
  • Free
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

MegaRekt'd

• StompGrind likes this

#26 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

Your first example is flawed because you are assuming 40 to 45 pounds between the weight classes. In order for this to be accurate, you have to assume two things:

- he doesn't gain any mass going from one fight to the other. He doesn't treat himself at the dinner table or make any effort in the weight room.

The second point relies on you knowing a basic formula, but not executing it properly. Sure, force equals mass times acceleration. But you didn't assign values to mass or acceleration. And your example, we are just supposed to take for granted that the mass will be more, but the acceleration will not decrease all that much, so the force is just going to be "a lot more," instead of just "a little more."

This is very unscientific. You've assigned no values and you have no proof. If you believe "basic physics" back you up, then you are hardly a scientist. I would go as far as to say that you're dumb.

Im not doing any math and not providing exact numbers..its just me using common sense/logic...as you move up the weight classes fighters will just trend to weigh more....common sense...ergo average mass goes up...

You say generally guys at LHW will be slower....that could be true but the guys at the top are pretty quick and hit hard(Manuwa, Wolfcan, Gus) so I dont think the division as a whole will be significantly slower...

Summary: Guys at LHW will hit harder period.....Rockhold will struggle against guys in the top 10 just based on striking soley...nevermind when you bring in grappling aspect.

Yoel was practically a LHW this past weekend lol howd that go?

If you want we can analize the LHW division by specific fighter...name one bro.

#27 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

Lol oh STFU Gus you can.

conair.gif?w=780

#28 Omoplataypus

Omoplataypus

Still Kelvins #1 fan, he'll be back

• Free
  • 17,353 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

Im not doing any math and not providing exact numbers..its just me using common sense/logic...as you move up the weight classes fighters will just trend to weigh more....common sense...ergo average mass goes up...

You say generally guys at LHW will be slower....that could be true but the guys at the top are pretty quick and hit hard(Manuwa, Wolfcan, Gus) so I dont think the division as a whole will be significantly slower...

Summary: Guys at LHW will hit harder period.....Rockhold will struggle against guys in the top 10 just based on striking soley...nevermind when you bring in grappling aspect.

Yoel was practically a LHW this past weekend lol howd that go?

If you want we can analize the LHW division by specific fighter...name one bro.

Shogun

#29 *BEG*

*BEG*
  • Free
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

Gustafsson FTW, no contest. That being said, Cormier just shot back and trashed him for kicking Rockhold when he's down, and I tend to agree. He's had two shots at the title and now he's picking on a 185er? C'mon man...

#30 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

Gustafsson FTW, no contest. That being said, Cormier just shot back and trashed him for kicking Rockhold when he's down, and I tend to agree. He's had two shots at the title and now he's picking on a 185er? C'mon man...

You meant a 205er who cant not cut 185 anymore, right m8 ?

Jokes aside, I see your point but lets keep it real here: Gus is a HW picking on a 205er

lol

• *BEG* likes this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#31 *BEG*

*BEG*
  • Free
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

You meant a 205er who cant not cut 185 anymore, right m8 ?

Jokes aside, I see your point but lets keep it real here: Gus is a HW picking on a 205er

lol

Clearly I was talking in general about the MW weight limit. But he did make 187.7 on his second attempt? Close enough. Lol

#32 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

Clearly I was talking in general about the MW weight limit. But he did make 187.7 on his second attempt? Close enough. Lol

I got you m8

• *BEG* likes this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#33 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,408 posts
  • LocationChamp Champs home state

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:19 AM

Size difference also matters with range control. Luke is terrible at that in the boxing range because his only defense there is to walk back in a straight line with his head high then maybe pivot at the last second and hope his check hook counter lands before he gets hit. Offensively in boxing range he's got a decent left straight and kind of a cork screw straight overhand but that's about it. 

He has tenancy from his want to Kickbox to back straight out to keep distance instead of going forward slipping or sidestepping and stop hitting someone's forward pressure to set-up counter clinchs or shoots when someone blitz towards him aggressively which as you know is the best and likely most high percentage time to take someone down if you time it right and drive through them or turn the corner and run the pipe. 

For Luke to be successful @LHW i think he'd need to develop a Chael kind of shootbox game but he's not a double/single leg guy and only clinching isn't going be as successful as a combined approach. Luke's game is kicking at range and hope it fall on the floor where he's excellent but he's kinda missing the key elements to his game i.e. lateral footwork, a jab, feints, level changes, active head movement, parries and blocks that will link his kicking game to his ground. 

I'm not really sure what he can do about it at this point. It takes yrs to develop new game and un-break old habits. 

Edited by StompGrind, 16 February 2018 - 08:46 AM.

• Bubba_Sparks, VertFTW and *BEG* like this

e323249005db0bcda6fa34bce037f98e.jpg

#34 BigDaddyDelta

BigDaddyDelta

VP of the Clit

• Free
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

Vert!!! When you're getting schooled on mathematics by Soup you need ask for a refund from that top 20 school
  • TheSinisterUrge, cashfl0w and CanPass like this

giphy.gif

#35 Bubba_Sparks

Bubba_Sparks

Respect the Legend

• Free
  • 28,337 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

Size difference also matters with range control. Luke is terrible at that in the boxing range because his only defense there is to walk back in a straight line with his head high then maybe pivot at the last second and hope his check hook counter lands before he gets hit. Offensively in boxing range he's got a decent left straight and kind of a cork screw straight overhand but that's about it.

He has tenancy from his want to Kickbox to back straight out to keep distance instead of going forward slipping or sidestepping and stop hitting someone's forward pressure to set-up counter clinchs or shoots when someone blitz towards him aggressively which as you know is the best and likely most high percentage time to take someone down if you time it right and drive through them or turn the corner and run the pipe.

For Luke to be successful @LHW i think he'd need to develop a Chael kind of shootbox game but he's not a double/single leg guy and only clinching isn't going be as successful as a combined approach. Luke's game is kicking at range and hope it fall on the floor where he's excellent but he's kinda missing the key elements to his game i.e. lateral footwork, a jab, feints, level changes, active head movement, parries and blocks that will link his kicking game to his ground.

I'm not really sure what he can do about it at this point. It takes yrs to develop new game and un-break old habits.

Good post stomp, I know you know your shizzle so it's interesting to read a breakdown like that. Now you mention it, despite having world class jitz, he rarely seems to shoot for td's.
  • bigdw35/Ufcfan_1 likes this

#36 PakaL

PakaL

Forseti

• Free
  • 11,020 posts
  • LocationGlitner

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

War Gus

HanDGuN kungFOO mixxed with AK karate(KiLLuminatti)

WeidemiGod, Conor McGr8, & Jon the boneless Jones R the trend setters...

Nemesis2Few^inspiration2many~Veni~Vidi~Vici~
xgllya.gif33ddnqr.gif

#37 PlatinumClegg

PlatinumClegg

Somebody might die!

• Free
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:29 AM

Jesus you idiots are retarded.

• cashfl0w likes this

LikableLittleGuernseycow-max-1mb.gif

Don't want to brag but I've done dong comparisons with white guys before