Tips for good UFC fights?

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 Mandy-S

Mandy-S
  • Free
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

Hi everyone, so I’ll be honest. I’m not really into mma that much. Not yet anyway :). I’m looking to learn some of the better UFC fighter’s names and maybe get some tips on good fights to watch. Sorry if this is weird lol, I’m trying to impress someone ;) Thanks so much!
  • ReturnoftheSoup likes this

#2 NoCakeForYaya

NoCakeForYaya
  • Free
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:46 PM

Artem Lobov is probably the best fighter out there at the minute.
  • crangs, Eclipse76, King_Can! and 12 others like this

conair.gif?w=780

#3 Enigma_Machine

Enigma_Machine

Supreme Overlord Extreme

• Moderators
  • 23,290 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:49 PM

Two names. 

Shogun.

Count. 

You're welcome. 

• Eclipse76, MauroPedrosa, jaybird86 and 1 other like this

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

2013 predictions league champion
Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
Last one to post wins winner x2
Survivor Series VIII - Sole survivor.

#4 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:12 AM

Hi everyone, so I’ll be honest. I’m not really into mma that much. Not yet anyway :). I’m looking to learn some of the better UFC fighter’s names and maybe get some tips on good fights to watch. Sorry if this is weird lol, I’m trying to impress someone ;) Thanks so much!

There's a very famous book written by a man named Dale Carnegie titled "how to Win friends and influence people." The gist of it is that people really like the sound of their own voice. So if you want to impress this guy, worry less about what it is you know and focus more on listening to his take on MMA. At the end of the day, getting to know someone requires listening. And if you show that you're an active listener, he's going to be a lot more interested in you then if you appear to have really strong opinions about something you obviously don't know much about.

And maybe in return, he will listen to you talk about the things that you're passionate about.

Also, a lot of the people on this forum are trolls. Be careful what advice you listen to.

Edited by Megasoup, 10 March 2018 - 12:14 AM.

• DoomPatrol, Yerbo, TheGreatCatpiss and 1 other like this

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#5 Mandy-S

Mandy-S
  • Free
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:20 AM

Thanks so much guys! It took a while for my posts to show up here so I did some searching of my own. I hadn’t seen these names yet, I’ll check those out, thanks again :)

#6 Mandy-S

Mandy-S
  • Free
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:41 AM

That’s good advice Megasoup. Good point on not trying to give an expert opinion on something you’re not an expert at. Those people are the worst lol. Truth is I’m not that much of a sports person in general. He already knows this by the way. I guess when you like somone you want to find out about what they like, if even out out of curiosity. It should should tell him something that I’m looking into his interests right? ;)

#7 NoOneHigherThanMe

NoOneHigherThanMe
  • Free
  • 797 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:53 AM

Squats, kegels, and don't use Emojis...

Don't worry about the fighters...

Learn about Mma... Striking, wrestling, and bjj...

If you are watching a fight and they are in the clinch and you say "underhooks"! He will probably propose right then.
  • TheSinisterUrge and jaybird86 like this

#8 Enigma_Machine

Enigma_Machine

Supreme Overlord Extreme

• Moderators
  • 23,290 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:13 AM

There's a very famous book written by a man named Dale Carnegie titled "how to Win friends and influence people." The gist of it is that people really like the sound of their own voice. So if you want to impress this guy, worry less about what it is you know and focus more on listening to his take on MMA. At the end of the day, getting to know someone requires listening. And if you show that you're an active listener, he's going to be a lot more interested in you then if you appear to have really strong opinions about something you obviously don't know much about.

And maybe in return, he will listen to you talk about the things that you're passionate about.

Also, a lot of the people on this forum are trolls. Be careful what advice you listen to.

I actually started reading that book but never finished it. I find that summary fairly accurate in practice. My biggest problem is when most people talk (particularly women who I simply have nothing in common with) I end up like:

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

#9 Denizen

Denizen

Torchbearer

• Free
  • 5,216 posts
  • LocationThe Night

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:43 AM

That’s good advice Megasoup. Good point on not trying to give an expert opinion on something you’re not an expert at. Those people are the worst lol. Truth is I’m not that much of a sports person in general. He already knows this by the way. I guess when you like somone you want to find out about what they like, if even out out of curiosity. It should should tell him something that I’m looking into his interests right? ;)

Looking into his interests is definitely the way forward.

If you really want to learn about fighters though, what I'd suggest is figuring out if there's a particular style you like. MMA fans are a fickle bunch and you'll find lots of opposing opinions here.

A good way to start would be by watching YouTube clips of best bits or "highlights" from currently ranked fighters.

If someone pops out at you that you Like, watch a few of their fights.

Watching the rankings report on YouTube is probably a good place to start, there are plenty of episodes, here is the latest:

https://youtu.be/51patj8tNV0
  • -idyb- and Mandy-S like this

Fight Club Prediction Championship: Grand Prix Winner and Final Champion (10-3)

UFC Prediction Grand Prix: Winner

UFC Survivor Series Tournament: Series Seven Winner

#10 Yerbo

Yerbo
  • Free
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:11 AM

If you want to sound like an MMA expert first, learn a few names (throwing in a few older fighters, a few champs and a few up and comers will lend you an even greater air of authority). Then just be super opinionated. Take half the list and decide they are boss and the other half and decide they suck. Then just say this fighter sucks and that fighter is boss endlessly and you'll sound just like most MMA fans! Extra points if you make bets on fights and then welch. You're welcome :)

Edited by Yerbo, 10 March 2018 - 02:13 AM.

• jaybird86, *BEG* and Mandy-S like this

#11 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 7,089 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

Conor McGregor, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Nick Diaz

• TheSinisterUrge, *BEG* and Mandy-S like this

3vzbFMh.jpg

#12 Undisputed16

Undisputed16
  • Elite
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:48 AM

This is actually pretty deep lol.

To answer the question, I found that once I got past only caring about the most popular fighters, the sport became more fun to watch. I tend to root for more local guys like Chris Weidman, Frankie Edgar, etc, even though these days they can't buy a win.

You can't go wrong with Justin Gaethje.
  • cashfl0w and Mandy-S like this
Events Attended: UFC 205 | UFC 208 | UFC 210 | UFC 213 | UFC on Fox 25 | UFC 217 | UFC 218 | UFC 220 | UFC 223 | UFC FN 128
Bellator 185

#13 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 58,544 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:57 AM

You can't go wrong with Justin Gaethje.

• TheSinisterUrge likes this
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#14 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Elite
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:02 AM

Smilin sam

Anything for $7

#15 Mandy-S

Mandy-S
  • Free
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:36 AM

Lots of great advice here, I’ve got some work to do I guess lol. The guy I’m seeing made a case for MMA and UFC. It’s pretty far from what I would normally take an interest in. I’ll give it a go though. If it grows on me I might stick around, if it doesn’t then at least know I’m very greatful for your help!
  • Denizen likes this

#16 PunchBag

PunchBag

Take Your Best Shot..

• Free
  • 14,134 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:42 AM

Assume you are not very smart, chances are any big fan of mma will be a member of these forums. Considering you used a selfie of your own face as your AV means he will likely view your thread and see your face and then know esactly what you are planning. Anyone who is smart would know that the chances of him being a member of this forum are to great to use a photo of yourself as your av.

Being dumb is a good thing however since most men find smart intelligent women repulsive.

Either that or you are an alt :)

• *BEG* likes this

brZ51I9.jpg

#17 BART-O-LINI

BART-O-LINI

p4p best poster on the forum

• Free
  • 9,598 posts
  • Locationdon't worry about it

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:10 AM

Mods, ban this Mandy-S character. I'm not into mma, but I joined an mma forum. Gtfo outta here.
  • skillandpower likes this

#18 jaybird86

jaybird86
  • Elite
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:11 AM

Or she could be looking here for a new man...
  • *BEG* likes this

Anything for $7

#19 BART-O-LINI

BART-O-LINI

• Free
  • 9,598 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:21 AM

Or she could be looking here for a new man...

If that really is her in the pic, not my type

Edited by BART-O-LINI, 10 March 2018 - 06:21 AM.

#20 classicboxer

classicboxer

THE KING OF THE FORUM

• Free
  • 19,316 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

If you want to impress someone, learn about boxing.

• TheSinisterUrge and Mandy-S like this

giphy.gif

#21 King_Can!

King_Can!

LEAFS NATION MOFOS

• Free
  • 26,733 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

invest in tapout clothing

• TheSinisterUrge, smwwrest and *BEG* like this

IRT/

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/
giphy.gif

#22 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 14,316 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

study GSP fights. its an art form and it will make you well on your way to becoming an mma expert in no time

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.

#23 BART-O-LINI

BART-O-LINI

• Free
  • 9,598 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

study GSP fights. its an art form and it will make you well on your way to becoming an mma expert in no time

Might as well watch gay ****

#24 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 14,316 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Might as well watch gay ****

bro watching gsp figts is like watching p*rn,   only with alot more lubrication and pop ups, and a lot less advertising.

Edited by -idyb-, 10 March 2018 - 08:39 AM.

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

#25 LayDownDead

LayDownDead

KEYS, WOMAN!

• Free
  • 8,837 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

Watch all the fights of the p4p GOAT, Neil Magny

• TheSinisterUrge, MauroPedrosa and -idyb- like this

"Neil Magny's striking is literally perfect" - Dana White

"Neil Magny could out box Floyd Mayweather" - Edmond Tarverdyan

#26 Omoplataypus

Omoplataypus

Still Kelvins #1 fan, he'll be back

• Free
  • 17,489 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

Hi cole
  • TheBigD, skillandpower and VertFTW like this

#27 Spooky_Shawn

Spooky_Shawn
  • Free
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

Treat yo self and watch some Luke Rockhold fights. His most recent fight had some heartwarming moments.

• MauroPedrosa likes this

#28 Mandy-S

Mandy-S
  • Free
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

Oh no I’m not looking for a new man Jay. Although I am here because of one so I guess you could say I’m here for a man lol. I’m not looking for that kind of attention! I don’t even do social media, no Facebook, no Instagram nothing. I never felt that urge to draw attention to myself and share everything with random strangers. My ex put some pics of our wedding online back in the day. Some of those are probably still floating around somewhere but aside from that I’m proud to say I’m pretty google proof. Classicboxer, my dad used to watch a lot of boxing so I guess I’m not completely combat sports illiterate ;)

Ok question: so I watched some fights but don’t really get the scoring system. When is a round a 10-8 round and when is it a 10-9 etc.. I can’t make much sense of it? Is it subjective, as in how dominant one guy is over the other? Sorry for asking, I get it probably makes you shake your heads but I’m a quick learner I won’t let you down I promise lol.
  • classicboxer likes this

#29 Spooky_Shawn

Spooky_Shawn
  • Free
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Fine then, don't listen to my advice and watch Luke Rockhold fights.

#30 Mandy-S

Mandy-S
  • Free
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Oh my I could get used to watching Luke Rockhold fights
  • MauroPedrosa likes this

#31 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 58,544 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

Cromwell, you bastard..
  • Eclipse76, TheSinisterUrge, skillandpower and 2 others like this

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png

amazin

#32 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,989 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

Hi cole

lol my same thoughts

• Omoplataypus and smwwrest like this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"Who tha fook is that guy ?"

"I wove you Mi"

#33 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,989 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

You are trying to impress someone you are seeing ? lol

Look, you seem cute and sweet and if the guy you are seeing isnt impress with your smile and your eyes then he probably doesnt like women lol

I couldnt careless if my girl follows MMA or not as long as she let me watch it.

• Mandy-S likes this

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#34 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

i was thinking of taking the plunge here boys. maybe one day ull see me on the latest MTV episode of Catfish

• VertFTW and smwwrest like this

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

#35 TheGreatCatpiss

TheGreatCatpiss
  • Free
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

Here me now and believe me later.

GSP is the gateway to becoming a true MMA fan. Rub a couple out to GSP and you will begin to form emotional attachment to MMA. Its the path most people here took.

There is some truth to the above, but on a more serious note... start paying attention to the bjj moves. Understanding the beauty and threat of BJJ makes is one of the first paths of becomming a fan.

Most all fighters are worthy, but fans have their preferences. One persons favorite fighter is considered a can by another person. Pay attention to the fighters he likes.

Edited by TheGreatCatpiss, 10 March 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• -idyb- and smwwrest like this

#36 King_Can!

King_Can!

LEAFS NATION MOFOS

• Free
  • 26,733 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:14 PM

Oh my I could get used to watching Luke Rockhold fights

troll

• cashfl0w and Spooky_Shawn like this

IRT/

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/
giphy.gif

#37 -idyb-

-idyb-

• Free
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

Here me now and believe me later.

GSP is the gateway to becoming a true MMA fan. Rub a couple out to GSP and you will begin to form emotional attachment to MMA. Its the path most people here took.

i can confirm this to be true.

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

#38 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 58,544 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

OP seems like a nice gent, but we've already got our fair share of men pretending to be women.

Try Sherdog.
  • BART-O-LINI, TheSinisterUrge, skillandpower and 3 others like this

amazin

#39 America

America
  • Free
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

If you're gonna catfish I would use a better pic.
  • TheSinisterUrge and *BEG* like this
34pz2qh.jpg

#40 *BEG*

*BEG*
  • Free
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

OP seems like a nice gent, but we've already got our fair share of men pretending to be women.
Try Sherdog.

WHAT HE SAID!!!

Position taken. Move along. LMFAO
  • TheSinisterUrge likes this

#41 Mandy-S

Mandy-S
  • Free
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Wow well this got awkward fast lol

#42 America

America
  • Free
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

Wow well this got awkward fast lol

Bit*h you haven't even seen awkward until vert start asking how your co*k looks in a pair of pants.
  • TheSinisterUrge, skillandpower, cashfl0w and 5 others like this
34pz2qh.jpg

#43 *BEG*

*BEG*
  • Free
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

That's nothin'. If you wanna survive here, you'd better buckle up, Buttercup. It's a rigorous initiation programme.
  • TheSinisterUrge and America like this

#44 BigDaddyDelta

BigDaddyDelta

VP of the Clit

• Free
  • 6,272 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

That's nothin'. If you wanna survive here, you'd better buckle up, Buttercup. It's a rigorous initiation programme.

over/under 11 dic pics you received?

Edited by FireryLatinaWhoWillCutYou, 10 March 2018 - 01:34 PM.

• TheSinisterUrge and *BEG* like this

giphy.gif

#45 *BEG*

*BEG*
  • Free
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

over/under 11 dic pics you received?

Surpassed that by April 2010. Lol. I have an entire album now. It's the only reason I stick around. ;)
  • TheSinisterUrge, BigDaddyDelta and -idyb- like this

#46 Mandy-S

Mandy-S
  • Free
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

Initiation programme? Buttercup? I feel like that new kid in class now lol. I better go hide my lunchmoney! :)
  • Enigma_Machine, TheSinisterUrge, skillandpower and 1 other like this

#47 Enigma_Machine

Enigma_Machine

Supreme Overlord Extreme

• Moderators
  • 23,290 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

I think being an active member of the ufc fight club forum will impress him enough  B)

• ijosef and skillandpower like this

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

#48 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 12,989 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

Just dump him.

You already impressed skillandpower and that is what really matters!

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"

"I wove you Mi"

#49 GoToGuy

GoToGuy
  • Free
  • 6,926 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

Ok question: so I watched some fights but don’t really get the scoring system. When is a round a 10-8 round and when is it a 10-9 etc.. I can’t make much sense of it? Is it subjective, as in how dominant one guy is over the other? Sorry for asking, I get it probably makes you shake your heads but I’m a quick learner I won’t let you down I promise lol.

10-9 is when one fighter wins the round over the other. The winner of the round receives 10 points, the other, 9.

10-8 is when a fighter wins the round in a big way. Aka, beating the hell out of his opponent and showing high dominance. The winner of the round gets 10 points again but the loser of the round gets 8.

When the fight is over, you add the points from all rounds together and the person with the most wins the fight.

If you want to get into mma you might be better off looking into U-Tube for "Greatest Fights, Greatest Fighters, Best ko's, best submisions", ect. type videos to get yourself familiar with fighters that come up multiple times. Another easy way is to look at the home page where it has the P4P rankings for the top 15 fighters in each weight class. Start with the champ and work your way down watching videos of the top fighters.

• Mandy-S likes this

#50 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 58,544 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

Just dump him.

You already impressed skillandpower and that is what really matters!

You are by far the thirstiest dude here.

• TheSinisterUrge, skillandpower, MauroPedrosa and 3 others like this

amazin