Photo

Conor McGregor's Movement Coach Ido Portal Announces He's Training For MMA Debut

Ido Portal UFC Conor McGregor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MattBoone1984

MattBoone1984
  • Free
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

This should get people talking. Conor McGregor's "movement coach" Ido Portal announced this week that he is currently training to make his professional MMA debut. Does anyone think this guy has a shot at becoming a legitimate contender?

http://www.mmanews.c...rtal-mma-debut/

#2 King_Can!

King_Can!

LEAFS NATION MOFOS

• Free
  • 26,281 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

hes gonna move into a right hand and die

• amunera, skillandpower and NetshadeX like this

IRT/

\+/ UFC Prediction Tournament 5 Champion \+/

\+/ Fighter Picks League 3 Champion \+/
giphy.gif

#3 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

I've known great fighters who were not very good coaches. I've known great coaches who are not very good fighters.

I've never personally met anyone who was both a great coach and a great fighter.
  • StompGrind and NetshadeX like this

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#4 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 37,699 posts
  • LocationIn your head m8. lol

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

I've known great fighters who were not very good coaches. I've known great coaches who are not very good fighters.

I've never personally met anyone who was both a great coach and a great fighter.

This was kinda true for me tew. My very first formal BJJ coach when i lived in Lafayette was a purple belt under the Machado's. This was way back in the day so at that time a purple belt was a big deal. They had two other blue belts that both flew out to Cali together and did intensive seminar's under Royce and had certificates for it. One of them had trained his GF up to nearly BB level. There was another guy that was a long time buddy of one of the bluebelts and he did MMA which was NHB back then. The rest of the class was all whitebelts including me but i had a lot of experience training with my buddies i grew up with that were into jitz & boxing. 

I remember my first few classes thinking i knew something then getting humbled by the two bluebelts ocaassionaly and getting mauled by the NHB guy. I had a hard time passing the bluebelt GF's guard but she never tapped me. The purple belt guy couldn't even tap me when we rolled. He was an excellent teacher but a nonathletic geek type that was just kinda lousy on the mat. The bluebelts and NHB guy couldn't teach for chit or held back lol but they were a handful to deal with on the mat. The bluebelt level girl was the only one that was both skillful and could teach what she knew pretty well. 

When i lived in NOLA though i got a chance to train with Medeiros a bit taking some private lessons but it was expensive and a long commute so i didn't do it for long but he was definitely both. Same for my Muaythai coach who was a legit badass and pro that i knew through my brother but that guy was more the savage trial by fire guy rather than a technical coach. 

Edited by StompGrind, 13 March 2018 - 01:57 PM.

I'm leaving because of you lol

25d535b5cc51ec48161a57bdf6de2110678cdb17

Get your head out your @ss m8. You ain't that important. 

#5 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 37,699 posts
  • LocationIn your head m8. lol

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

As for Ido he's very athletic, seems strong minded but i think he's up there in age to be starting out with not much real fight experience.

He may do ok-ish in some amateur fights but i wouldn't expect much out of him. 

I'm leaving because of you lol

25d535b5cc51ec48161a57bdf6de2110678cdb17

Get your head out your @ss m8. You ain't that important. 

#6 MattBoone1984

MattBoone1984
  • Free
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

Seems like a very fair assessment. The MMA trolls will have a FIELD DAY with the GIFS and Twitter posts leading up to his fights and whatnot, but he seems like a very athletic, in-shape dude with a strong mind and great fight-people around him. That has to lead to some kind of potential in the fight game, I would THINK. I guess we'll find out! 

As for Ido he's very athletic, seems strong minded but i think he's up there in age to be starting out with not much real fight experience.

He may do ok-ish in some amateur fights but i wouldn't expect much out of him. 

• StompGrind likes this

#7 zaksame

zaksame
  • Free
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

They are just cashing in on any thing Conor,it is pathetic and makes the UFC look bad.

Artem was never skilled or good enough to be in there but he is carrying the aura of Conor so got a free pass.

Everything is about money now a days,that is why so many juice up ,it means money.It is like those peopel that use fake weights to look amazing,it draws attention,gets sponsors,makes money.

Movement is just a natural athletic ideal,you don't train it ,it is laughable to think this guy is training movement.

The fight game..UFC is number 1 about strength,smarts,cheating,reach and then skills.

Most of these guys have very low skills,very low fight IQ,so they rely on cheating the weights,popping pills etc etc.

Gina Miesha Kyra ...yes please.

#8 ReturnoftheSoup

ReturnoftheSoup

Forum Knight

• Free
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

They are just cashing in on any thing Conor,it is pathetic and makes the UFC look bad.

Artem was never skilled or good enough to be in there but he is carrying the aura of Conor so got a free pass.
Everything is about money now a days,that is why so many juice up ,it means money.It is like those peopel that use fake weights to look amazing,it draws attention,gets sponsors,makes money.
Movement is just a natural athletic ideal,you don't train it ,it is laughable to think this guy is training movement.
The fight game..UFC is number 1 about strength,smarts,cheating,reach and then skills.

Most of these guys have very low skills,very low fight IQ,so they rely on cheating the weights,popping pills etc etc.

I don't want to pile on, because it seems like everyone already dishes on you, but this has to be the worst, most misguided comment that's ever been posted on this forum. Dude, you are just flat-out wrong about everything here.

conair.gif?w=780

Member of the People's Freedom Movement

#9 skillandpower

skillandpower
  • Free
  • 11,735 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

Is that the guy ?

lol

conair.gif?w=780

"Stop doubting me"