Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Even after crazy comeback win, Paul Craig worried UFC contract won’t be renewed

xPaul-Craig-696x397.png.pagespeed.ic.RLJ

On Saturday afternoon, on the undercard of the UFC’s return to London, England, Scottish light heavyweight Paul Craig authored one of the most insane comebacks ever, surging back after being dominated for 14 minutes and 59 seconds to submit his foe Magomed Ankalaev with one second left in the fight.

This bout marked the final obligation on Craig’s current UFC contract, and though his comeback win was truly incredible, he’s worried he won’t be offered a new contract, as he lost his two previous bouts in the Octagon rather decisively.

“I don’t really know if I’ve done enough to get my contract renewed,” Craig told the media in London (h/t MMAJunkie.com). “We never know. The UFC have got this massive roster, and if I was Dana White and I was watching that, I’d be like, ‘Ah, mate. You’re getting no contract. You can fight for somebody else.”

Whatever the case, Craig is happy to have gotten the win in London.

“I just kept thinking about my daughters and how much I’ve taken from them, time with my family, to go into the gym and train. Freezing cold, raining, you name it, I’m in that gym. It’s a horrible existence. Fighting in the UFC is hard, and the people that suffer are your family. But you know what makes it wee bit better? We just got a win, and we just got a submission win. I’m over the moon, man.”

If he does get re-signed by the UFC, Craig would be willing to make a quick turnaround and fight in Liverpool this May 27.

“Liverpool’s just around the corner, [and] my face isn’t too bad. I wasn’t knocked out. I’ve no injuries. Why not?”

Do you think the UFC should renew Paul Craig’s contract after his insane comeback win in London?

No idea if they should renew it, i mean i understand paul wanting to fight in the ufc and his comeback win was amazing, however the ufc is business and im sure if paul was willing to sign any contract just to remain in the ufc, he would emain in the ufc. But it all depends on how much paul wants to remain and how much ufc want to pay him to remain.

Seeing him fight in liverpool would be awesome though.

No idea if they should renew it, i mean i understand paul wanting to fight in the ufc and his comeback win was amazing, however the ufc is business and im sure if paul was willing to sign any contract just to remain in the ufc, he would emain in the ufc. But it all depends on how much paul wants to remain and how much ufc want to pay him to remain.

Seeing him fight in liverpool would be awesome though.

I hope he gets at least one more fight because I can guarantee you if Ankalaev had smoked Craig he would have been one away from getting a top 15 opponent.

Lets be fair, he won via Ankalaev being a ****ing idiot, he has also been terrible since his first fight, I think he should get a renewal but I would understand if he didn't 

• Like 1

I hope he gets at least one more fight because I can guarantee you if Ankalaev had smoked Craig he would have been one away from getting a top 15 opponent.

unlikely they give out 1 fight contracts though, it will be at least 3 fights and the ufc might not want him around for 3 more fights

Hope he does get it renewed and would be suprised if they didnt , he has only lost 2 fights , though its mostly because the fashion of losing in the first round in both I think , he got dominated for 14 mins 53 seconds in that fight but walked away with a POTN bonus and a W , cant be mad at that 

Atleast he acknowledged that he needs to work a hell of a lot on his standup; it really is bad. He should train his stand up for 6-12 months then get a one fight contract to see if he has improved enough.

• Like 2

He should use his POTN bonus to get a HGV license or some chit.

Take his kids to Disneyland.

If it's such a horrible existence for him then really, go out on a win and with a smile. Go out on his own terms and with some cash in his pocket.

Edited by Denizen
  • Like 1

That was a fixed fight and I'm not trolling.  He paid an obscene amount by submission and by 3rd round.  They almost blew it but the guy insta tapped as soon as the triangle was locked up.

• Like 1

That was a fixed fight and I'm not trolling. He paid an obscene amount by submission and by 3rd round. They almost blew it but the guy insta tapped as soon as the triangle was locked up.

He was +2375 to win in the third!

I'm so glad I got the tip from my boy Vlad. I'll never work again in my life.

• Like 1

He was +2375 to win in the third!

I'm so glad I got the tip from my boy Vlad. I'll never work again in my life.

That's sketch city that he got handed a triangle at 4:53 that gets locked up so easily by 4:58 and he tapped IMMEDIATELY.  He heard the 10 second warning 8 seconds ago... I'm not buying that he couldn't fight a triangle for two seconds.  I've had bigger guys in them and been drug all over the goddamn mat for like 90 seconds before I could finally force the tap.  The next day your groin is wrecked.

• Like 1

It's a weak division and he can fill eu cards of need be. Might as well sign up on more time and see what happens

• Like 1

Atleast he acknowledged that he needs to work a hell of a lot on his standup; it really is bad. He should train his stand up for 6-12 months then get a one fight contract to see if he has improved enough.

I think he's said he's open to going down to Middleweight as well which I think would help him have more success.