Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Alexander Gustafsson Wants His Next Fight to be For an Interim Title

alexander-gustafsson-ufc-fight-night-109

It just so happens that when Alexander Gustafsson is ready to come back, UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is jumping up in weight to try and hold belts in two divisions. Regardless if he beats Stipe Miocic at UFC 226, Cormier will be retiring before March of last year so he’s on his way out. This leaves Gustafsson asking what about him? He thinks he deserves to fight for an interim belt.

“Me fighting [Daniel Cormier] for the real title, that opportunity went out the window. I feel I earned my spot off my last performance, but here we are. With DC moving up, the next step for me should be for an interim title. I brought it up to the UFC. Let’s see what happens. All I know is that in my situation, whoever they put in front of me next, it must be for the interim title. I feel like I’ve been taking fights and climbing ladders, climbing rankings, my entire career.”

“I’m 31 years old. I still feel I’ll compete for many years, but right now, every fight has to have a thought behind it. DC is moving up to heavyweight and that’s good for him and it’s good for the organization, but for me, the No. 1 contender, it’s not fair. It’s not fair at all. And no one knows what D.C. will do after this fight. He may put his gloves down and walk away. The division is a little crazy right now, it’s no secret, but I earned my spot. It doesn’t matter who they put in front of me, but I want it to be for the interim belt.” — Alexander Gustafsson speaking to ESPN.

With the Lightheavyweight title currently tied up with DC moving up to fight Stipe do you think they should give Gustafsson an interim title fight?

If so against who?

Edited by Jolldan

He's probably right. What if DC wins the HW title? Then what?

The issue for Gus is who the hell is he supposed to fight?

• Like 1

Only way he wins a belt. And I like Gus. Fight to make is probably Rockhold because lack of depth at LHW and like posted above have the whole training partner issue like aka have had in recent years but this time in the same division.

Oez is coming of a loss but about the only fight to make so can't see that being for an interim.

Guess I prefer the sound of Oez vs Gus and Rockhold vs Bisping.

I know he probably wouldn't go for it but Latifi probably makes the most sense that we've not already seen he's won 2 in a row and 5 of his last 6 . The other options aren't great.

#2 Volkan - I could see it but he's not as easy a sell now that his scare factor has been diminished greatly.

#3 Glover - Nobody wants to see that again.

#4 Manuwa - Has lost two in a row

#6 Shogun - Is literally 1000 years old

Lightheavyweight is soooooo thin, Dana must be praying the likes of Johnson, Pedro and a few other young guys start to make a name for themselves.

Hard to disagree, he is next in line for a contender spot, DC is doing what he is doing (He deserves to do it), have Gus fight someone for an interm title so that either DC has someone to come back to or if he retires after the Stipe fight then we at least have someone in LHW with a belt

• Like 1

Tell Gus to shut up, no one wants to see Jan Blachowicz vs Gus as a co main of a ppv even Sweden’s biggest Gus fans

• Like 1

Shogun puts gus in a body bag this time.

Love Shogun but when was the last time he beat a top 5 guy?

Tell Gus to shut up, no one wants to see Jan Blachowicz vs Gus as a co main of a ppv even Sweden’s biggest Gus fans

Im saying Gus vs. Latifi that's an all Swedish affair so I think at the very least the Swede's would enjoy that lol.

This division is screwed. It seems none of the top 9 after DC even have a fight scheduled. And while normally Gus's recent record wouldn't merit any kind of title shot, none of the other top ranked fighters deserve it more than he does for various reasons. I'd say Latifi probably has the best claim to a fight with Gus for an interim belt. But even that doesn't sound right somehow. Wasn't LHW the best division not long ago??

• Like 1

This division is screwed. It seems none of the top 9 after DC even have a fight scheduled. And while normally Gus's recent record wouldn't merit any kind of title shot, none of the other top ranked fighters deserve it more than he does for various reasons. I'd say Latifi probably has the best claim to a fight with Gus for an interim belt. But even that doesn't sound right somehow. Wasn't LHW the best division not long ago??

The good old days of Chuck, Tito, Randy, Rampage and Forrest seems like so long ago right?

• Like 1

Literally anybody... like the dude doesn't even have to be ranked just shut the **** up and get your white as$ in the goddamn cage.

Alexander Gustafsson is completely delusional.  He's 3-3 in his last 6 fights.  Those 6 fights span 5 years!  Khabib is more active than this chump.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Literally anybody... like the dude doesn't even have to be ranked just shut the **** up and get your white as$ in the goddamn cage.

Alexander Gustafsson is completely delusional. He's 3-3 in his last 6 fights. Those 6 fights span 5 years! Khabib is more active than this chump.

giphy.gif

This post is pure poetry.

• Like 3

Let Blachowicz knock this white boy out again

Again? When did that happen?

Jan is as white as Alex :)

Pretty sure Gus got tagged then layed his way to a 29-28. Was the old Arlovski Barnett card in Germany I thankfully bottled going too. Remember he didn't look brilliant but was after a long lay off

Well i want a 7 inch cawk

but reduction surgery is risky

rockhold vs gustaffson for interim title is probably the best matchup for the ufc, for gus and for rockhold

If rockhold badly wants another title this is a fast track

if the ufc badly wants to make a decent ppv fight then this will make them ppv

if gus wants a belt then this is his chance and he already called out luke.