Sign in to follow this  
Mcmax3000

UFC 223: Nurmagomedov vs. Iaquinta - Official Discussion Thread

I will give the UFC 1 thing for this, at least they had a ****ing backup this time, and one that in some way makes some sense and not another random coming in to fight when they have absolutely no reason to be in there.  Yeah I am in no way saying it is the same kind of mega event that Khabib v Tony was, but at least its something people can get somewhat excited for. 

But their backup should technically still not be medically cleared according to maxs own claims... I love khabib and the rest of the card but don’t see how Ufc’s lack of any shred of integrity or transparency will sustain any reasonable business model.

• Like 2

I will give the UFC 1 thing for this, at least they had a **** backup this time, and one that in some way makes some sense and not another random coming in to fight when they have absolutely no reason to be in there.  Yeah I am in no way saying it is the same kind of mega event that Khabib v Tony was, but at least its something people can get somewhat excited for. 

Amazing how we all have different opinions and point of views (and I respect anyones opinion).

I honestly would like to see someone else fighting Khabib and not Max on short notice.

• Like 1

Amazing how we all have different opinions and point of views (and I respect anyones opinion).

I honestly would like to see someone else fighting Khabib and not Max on short notice.

I can completely see why people would not like to see Khabib vs Max, the potential for Max to just get murdered and it not matter because he "stepped up" I guess I just am curious if Max could do it 

• Like 1

I can completely see why people would not like to see Khabib vs Max, the potential for Max to just get murdered and it not matter because he "stepped up" I guess I just am curious if Max could do it 

Dont get me wrong, Max does have a chance of course.

I just have a problem with this fight being in such short notice considering the match up.

For instance, I would be ok with Khabib vs Ortega (because Ortega is a natural grappler).

• Like 2

I just have a problem with this fight being in such short notice considering the match up.

For instance, I would be ok with Khabib vs Ortega (because Ortega is a natural grappler).

**** me that would have been an incredible fight  :o Dammit, now I want that more than Tony v Khabib 

• Like 3

Did anyone watch his interview with Ariel? A lot of the interview was about Khabib's weight, most of it brought up by him. His weight atm is 170ish and he said he is following the same weight cut instructions as the Barboza fight. He weigh in at 155.5 for Barboza and has to make 155 on the dot to get a title fight at 223.

Khabib apparently weigh in at 164.4 4-5 days before the Barboza fight. He is currently above that weight with only 4 days to go before the weigh in. Makes me a bit nervous that he is a bit big so close to the fight, about 15 pounds out with 4 days to go.... that is quite a lot for a guy who has had a number of weight cutting issues in the past. 

Another interesting point Khabib brought up was about his legacy and what would be his ideal opponent after Max. Khabib reckons that GSP would cement his Legacy much more than a fight with Conor would. For me I would chose Conor simply for the fact if he were to beat GSP, the match would forever have the as-tricks of "GSP was old, GSP had to cut a lot of weight" Whereas Conor is in his prime, and Khabib would gain his super-stardom in my opinion if he were to beat him? (Which I 100% believe he would)

What are peoples thoughts on it? 

• Like 2

What are the chances of Khabib pulling out before the fight and McGregor stepping in vs Max at 155  :lol:  I need to lay off the class A's

This

Lets not forget the chance of Khabib not making weight lol

This

Lets not forget the chance of Khabib not making weight lol

What i'm thinking.

Khabib miss weight and pulls out or he not eligible to win the title but fight continues.lol

• Like 2

Another interesting point Khabib brought up was about his legacy and what would be his ideal opponent after Max. Khabib reckons that GSP would cement his Legacy much more than a fight with Conor would. For me I would chose Conor simply for the fact if he were to beat GSP, the match would forever have the as-tricks of "GSP was old, GSP had to cut a lot of weight" Whereas Conor is in his prime, and Khabib would gain his super-stardom in my opinion if he were to beat him? (Which I 100% believe he would)

What are peoples thoughts on it?

If he were talking about the here and now then I'd agree with you. Conor would catapult him into the hearts and minds of even the most casual fan on the planet.

I have guys at work who will argue that Conor is the best mixed martial artist to ever grace the octagon, that there'll never be a more complete fighter than Conor and that yes, of course he would destroy Bruce Lee (lel). The thing with these guys is that if you asked them to name 5 other fighters they'd say " Nate Diaz, Brock Lesnar.....uhm....Dana White?...." and then change the the subject.

In terms of legacy, a couple of decades down the line, pretty much everyone but the older generation of mma fans will see Khabib as some monster that won the lightweight belt and then went on to beat the guy who dominated the welterweight division for years and is fresh off winning the middle weight title.

GSP would do more for his legacy imo.

Edited by Denizen
  • Like 1

I like Holloway but I'm thinking Khabib is going to smother him. 

The Ortega match is intriguing as well but probably same result. Can't imagine Khabib would get caught in a FW guillotine (even if Ortega is a bigger FW)

Interesting enough he apparently accepted the fight before Max so we might see this fight in the future. Not sure if this was posted already:

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/ufc-223-brian-ortega-accepted-khabib-nurmagomedov-fight-before-max-holloway-did

Edited by Decompoze
  • Like 2

I like Holloway but I'm thinking Khabib is going to smother him. 

The Ortega match is intriguing as well but probably same result. Can't imagine Khabib would get caught in a FW guillotine (even if Ortega is a bigger FW)

Interesting enough he apparently accepted the fight before Max so we might see this fight in the future. Not sure if this was posted already:

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/ufc-223-brian-ortega-accepted-khabib-nurmagomedov-fight-before-max-holloway-did

I honestly think Ortega has a better chance than Tony or Max, I think his ability to pull submissions off from guard is far better than Tony's who himself is quite good. Ortega also has the ability to stand and trade, he is literally a combination of Max and Tony in terms of what he could bring vs Khabib, Ortega v Khabib for me would be fight of the year

• Like 4

Also KK murdering Evolve is going to be hilarious

I was trying to remember that posters name.

• Like 1

Good to see these guys giving eachother mutual respect.

I'm excited for this fight and definitely not counting Max out. I'm actually not disappointed in the least that it won't be Ferguson but that is a fight I'd like to see, more out of curiosity than anything else.

Max vs Khabib is a more interesting story imo, especially if the outcome is Max getting his hand raised, however unlikely that may seem at this point.

I'm interested to see which way the odds move over that coming days.

• Like 1

Just curious how Holloway is allowed to step up for a fight like this? He pulled out of his last title defense due to injury, has not fought since, has a clear number 1 challenger in Ortega, surely he should be stripped of the 145 belt if he is fighting for the 155 after clearly refusing to defend the 145. I think hes a legend for at least attempting to save the card, but he 100% should not be allowed to pull out of a fight to defend his title and then move on from that to fighting for another

They asked others but Holloway was the one that accepted or likely last choice and was sort of coerced into taking the fight.

Alvarez said he was asked but is 190 and change so no way could make weight.He mentioned that most 155 are around 190 so none would make weight,which is likely why they had to drop on Holloway because it is at least a belt guy.

Course there is always that in shape Conor guy who claims anywhere anytime but guess that was all leprechaun gibberish.Conor definitely would have been a much easier fight than Tony because Conor has no cardio so even one round of wrestled around he would be done.

• Like 1

They asked others but Holloway was the one that accepted or likely last choice and was sort of coerced into taking the fight.

Alvarez said he was asked but is 190 and change so no way could make weight.He mentioned that most 155 are around 190 so none would make weight,which is likely why they had to drop on Holloway because it is at least a belt guy.

Course there is always that in shape Conor guy who claims anywhere anytime but guess that was all leprechaun gibberish.Conor definitely would have been a much easier fight than Tony because Conor has no cardio so even one round of wrestled around he would be done.

You're thinking of Cowboy Cerrone.

Conor doesn't claim he'll fight anybody anywhere. They don't pay well enough for that.

I was agreeing with most of what you said until you mention Leprechaun's, then I was like go **** yourself you little racist twat, leave my Leprechaun brothers and goblin sisters alone #LeprechaunLivesMatter

• Like 1

EARLY PRELIMINARY CARD

6:15p ET

Kyle Bochniak vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov

WTF??!

About as one sided as a fight gets.
  • Like 1

Trying to force you to pay for Crap Pass.

that's just dumb, imagine how lit the prelims would be if they did they right thing and promoted

• Like 1

He looked okay against a potato.

Zabit is going to tower over everyone in the division, and he should have the advantage everywhere the fight goes.

• Like 1

I would have to disagree. Kyle looked great in his last fight. Imo this fight is a lot closer than the casual odds makers say  

**** lol, Kyle will be taken down at will and murdered, do you remember the Jeremy Kennedy fight? 

Edited by stehilton94
  • Like 1

**** lol, Kyle will be taken down at will and murdered, do you remember the Jeremy Kennedy fight? 

Kennedy is a great offensive wrestler, maybe better than Zabit. Kyle is not the worst wrestler himself, we well see saturday

Edited by Taylor_Schonerstedt

yea okay. Mike Santiago took Zabit down twice compared to zabit's 1. if mike can take him down kyle can

Mike Santiago has landed 50% of his takedowns in the UFC.

Kyle Dipchitniak has landed 22% of his takedowns in the UFC. 

Bruh, he is going to be a solid six inches shorter than Zabit, and he'll have about a foot less of reach. He's about to get a good solid asswhoopin.

yea okay. Mike Santiago took Zabit down twice compared to zabit's 1. if mike can take him down kyle can

Guessing you never watched the fight, Mike took Zabit down twice and ended up immediately on bottom.....

• Like 1

Zaksame learning to quote is fantastic.

I'm upset about this. I hate Tony so was looking forward to seeing him get his **** kicked. I love max and am not looking forward to watching him get his **** kicked. No chance I'll catch it live anyway, so might check the result before putting myself through it.

Mike Santiago has landed 50% of his takedowns in the UFC.

Kyle Dipchitniak has landed 22% of his takedowns in the UFC. 

Bruh, he is going to be a solid six inches shorter than Zabit, and he'll have about a foot less of reach. He's about to get a good solid asswhoopin.

thats funny you say that cause its actually easier to take someone down thats a lot taller then you. we well see in a few days  

No, that's not true at all. LOLOL

Jon Jones took down Olympic gold medalist Daniel Cormier. Gus was even with him in takedowns. Their length works as leverage. I take it you've never wrestled a day in your life, huh?

• Like 1

No, that's not true at all. LOLOL

Jon Jones took down Olympic gold medalist Daniel Cormier. Gus was even with him in takedowns. Their length works as leverage. I take it you've never wrestled a day in your life, huh?

Bruh... Daniel didn't win a gold medal at the Olympics.  :(

• Like 1