SVTContour98

Active Self Protection

Hey sob. Long time. Any other 09'ers hanging around still? Everyone is new

There are a handful that are active.  Good to see another one stopping by!

Off the top of my head:  

StompGrind

Juice

OZPride

TheSinisterUrge

Lots of 10'ers

• Like 2

There are a handful that are active. Good to see another one stopping by!

Off the top of my head:

StompGrind

Juice

OZPride

TheSinisterUrge

Lots of 10'ers

Right on. I remember Stomp and you pretty well. Juice and America sound pretty familiar also. Im trying to think back. My brain is old and dusty .

• Like 2

Right on. I remember Stomp and you pretty well. Juice and America sound pretty familiar also. Im trying to think back. My brain is old and dusty .

America used to be SmoothCriminal if that helps.

This place gets a tiny fraction of the traffic it used to back in the day.  We maybe pick up 1 new active member every few months.  So most of the folks still around have been here 5+ years

• Like 1

This place gets a tiny fraction of the traffic it used to back in the day.  We maybe pick up 1 new active member every few months.  So most of the folks still around have been here 5+ years

Can't remember if I went by Smooth in the 09/10 days. Maybe I did, I can't remember that far back lol

• Like 1

Can't remember if I went by Smooth in the 09/10 days. Maybe I did, I can't remember that far back lol

This makes waaaay more sense. I remember SC. America didn't sound too familiar but you seemed to know who i was and i didn't want to be rude. This helps because i was trying my damndest to recall who the hell you were lol

• Like 1

This makes waaaay more sense. I remember SC. America didn't sound too familiar but you seemed to know who i was and i didn't want to be rude. This helps because i was trying my damndest to recall who the hell you were lol

I came back here like a year ago maybe, I was off the boards for a good 5-6 years.

• Like 1

There are a handful that are active. Good to see another one stopping by!

Off the top of my head:

StompGrind

Juice

OZPride

TheSinisterUrge

Lots of 10'ers

4 9ers is appropriate given TheSinisterAlan's love for all things 49ers.

Also, a plague on both your houses for forgetting me

• Like 1

4 9ers is appropriate given TheSinisterAlan's love for all things 49ers.

Also, a plague on both your houses for forgetting me

for some reason I though you were a 10'er

This place gets a tiny fraction of the traffic it used to back in the day. We maybe pick up 1 new active member every few months. So most of the folks still around have been here 5+ years

This is pretty shocking. The way this place blew up after ufc 100, i figured itd be packed with folks by now.

• Like 2

And I'M the NEW active member in this cycle :)

tumblr_om6gdxoo_Sl1vkzuj9o1_400.gif

• Like 2

This is pretty shocking. The way this place blew up after ufc 100, i figured itd be packed with folks by now.

I think the biggest reason (IMO) is that after Leonie found a new gig we went without someone at the UFC managing things.  Then they brought in some worthless chick who obviously had no interest in a forum.  She got canned with all the other dead weight when the UFC got bought out.  Since then we have literally no contact with the UFC, only with SparkArt and even then it's only basically when it comes time for mod renewals.  

Once the new members stopped flooding in the number of posters has whittled down because everyone started getting on everyone else's nerves and **** just devolves into bickering.  On the bright side, new legitimate members are usually pretty quality, because they've lurked for a while and figured out the dynamics.  

To keep the members we have we'd been lax in enforcing rules.  Basically as long as you're not posting p*rn, not spamming, not posting illegal streams, and not trying to promote your Youtube channel or scam we kinda just let it slide.  

• Like 1

1)On the bright side, new legitimate members are usually pretty quality, because they've lurked for a while and figured out the dynamics.  

2)To keep the members we have we'd been lax in enforcing rules.  Basically as long as you're not posting p*rn, not spamming, not posting illegal streams, and not trying to promote your Youtube channel or scam we kinda just let it slide.  

1)Once again, that's me bro :D

2)Very good info to know, wasn't really sure what was cool

ca52y_A8.jpg

• Like 2

I think the biggest reason (IMO) is that after Leonie found a new gig we went without someone at the UFC managing things. Then they brought in some worthless chick who obviously had no interest in a forum. She got canned with all the other dead weight when the UFC got bought out. Since then we have literally no contact with the UFC, only with SparkArt and even then it's only basically when it comes time for mod renewals.

Once the new members stopped flooding in the number of posters has whittled down because everyone started getting on everyone else's nerves and **** just devolves into bickering. On the bright side, new legitimate members are usually pretty quality, because they've lurked for a while and figured out the dynamics.

To keep the members we have we'd been lax in enforcing rules. Basically as long as you're not posting p*rn, not spamming, not posting illegal streams, and not trying to promote your Youtube channel or scam we kinda just let it slide.

Oh damn ur a mod now? Holy crap i dont envy you. At least it seems calm around here. When i was doing it this place sucked. Lot of work for no thanks lol

• Like 2

Oh damn ur a mod now? Holy crap i dont envy you. At least it seems calm around here. When i was doing it this place sucked. Lot of work for no thanks lol

Yeah I use the term mod lightly.  I've basically just been continuing to do it because we get two free PPV's a year, lol.  

Yeah I use the term mod lightly. I've basically just been continuing to do it because we get two free PPV's a year, lol.

Wtf!?! Dude is that **** retroactive?! Lol

Do you know how much i had to deal with after UFC 100?! I WANT MY PPVS!!! LOL

• Like 3

Wtf!?! Dude is that **** retroactive?! Lol

Do you know how much i had to deal with after UFC 100?! I WANT MY PPVS!!! LOL

I can't even imagine, lol.  I became a mod near the end of 2012 and it had died down a fair amount.

hmm I'm not sure what you guy see vs what I see anymore

There are little blue check marks on the right side of the username. I think theyre likes or something? Not sure.

This place has changed since the last time i was here about a couple years ago. I still like the original set up better, but this is way better than how it was the last time i was here. I couldn't even qoute a post then. This is pretty good though.

• Like 2

There are little blue check marks on the right side of the username. I think theyre likes or something? Not sure.

This place has changed since the last time i was here about a couple years ago. I still like the original set up better, but this is way better than how it was the last time i was here. I couldn't even qoute a post then. This is pretty good though.

Ah, okay you're on mobile, yeah it's likes.  

We've had this iteration since 2014, I think? 

The original post was posted by a hispanic gentleman comparing 2 recent murders in the state. One, the Molly Tibbets murder that went on for a month+ and was committed by an illegal immigrant. The other, just a random murder by a Caucasian neckbeard, and for some reason the Hispanic population can't wrap their head around why they're different. Currently sitting at 46 comments/replies that devolved into the lowest denominator.

ifxVUaw.png

Currently here...

Up2eW0q.png

I love and respect women but ****s like this...
  • Like 2

Welcome back JJW. I kinda remember having a few Jitz discussions with you back in the day but like you my brain is old and dusty. 

ye_ODf_F3.jpg

Lol. When we were getting ready to hike through bear country this year it rustled my missus every time I said I wasn't worried because even though I couldn't out-run a bear I could out-run her.

• Like 3

Lol. When we were getting ready to hike through bear country this year it rustled my missus every time I said I wasn't worried because even though I couldn't out-run a bear I could out-run her.

Just hope there's only 1 bear :P

There's been a rash of bear killings/attacks in the last couple weeks, the Apex of their world doesn't negotiate with anyone. We have Black bears here, but compared to Browns...literally not the same beast. Can't be very many ways worse to die, than being the entree' for bear.

• Like 1

Just hope there's only 1 bear :P

There's been a rash of bear killings/attacks in the last couple weeks, the Apex of their world doesn't negotiate with anyone. We have Black bears here, but compared to Browns...literally not the same beast. Can't be very many ways worse to die, than being the entree' for bear.

Black bears don't bother me at all - saw one about 50 feet away and you could tell it was purely scavenging.

Grizzlies scare the living daylights out of me though. I wouldn't hike in grizzly territory in a group smaller than 6.

• Like 1

Black bears don't bother me at all - saw one about 50 feet away and you could tell it was purely scavenging.

Grizzlies scare the living daylights out of me though. I wouldn't hike in grizzly territory in a group smaller than 6.

Respect both, you get between a sow and her cubs and that Black bear will become a Grizz before your eyes. Carry a large bore pistol and be prepared to use it, a 25" skull will laugh at a 380/9mm.

• Like 1

Respect both, you get between a sow and her cubs and that Black bear will become a Grizz before your eyes. Carry a large bore pistol and be prepared to use it, a 25" skull will laugh at a 380/9mm.

Definitely, although you have to be very careless to get between a mother and her cubs - you've already screwed up by that point.

From what I've read bear spray is more effective against grizzlies than a gun. Too many accounts of folks only wounding (and subsequently enraging) the grizzly for my tastes. Rangers carry both I think.

• Like 2

Definitely, although you have to be very careless to get between a mother and her cubs - you've already screwed up by that point.

From what I've read bear spray is more effective against grizzlies than a gun. Too many accounts of folks only wounding (and subsequently enraging) the grizzly for my tastes. Rangers carry both I think.

I respectfully disagree: Cubs stay with the sow(both black/brown species) for at least 2 years, during that time they become very comfortable is increasing distance from Mom. Accidentally getting between them is easy in thick cover, and with 100-150 yards between them is a stupid & simple task of oops.

The spray is good for bluff charges and aggressive behavior, but if popping jaws and and ripping your head from the shoulders is on the menu....only solid core large slugs will slow the beast down. Last week 2 hunters were attacked(both with rifles and pistols), 1 hunter was killed...1 mauled...3 bears gang style.

Be safe out there

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree: Cubs stay with the sow(both black/brown species) for at least 2 years, during that time they become very comfortable is increasing distance from Mom. Accidentally getting between them is easy in thick cover, and with 100-150 yards between them is a stupid & simple task of oops.

The spray is good for bluff charges and aggressive behavior, but if popping jaws and and ripping your head from the shoulders is on the menu....only solid core large slugs will slow the beast down. Last week 2 hunters were attacked(both with rifles and pistols), 1 hunter was killed...1 mauled...3 bears gang style.

Be safe out there

Well the golden rule in bear country is to make plenty of noise. I think that in both the scenarios you've outlined that rule is probably not being followed. Hunters make a disproportionately high proportion of bear fatalities I guess because by nature they're moving around quietly.

Which part of the states are you in? It's interesting how varied the official advice seems to be from state to state and park to park.

I'm a hiker, rather than a hunter so the parameters are slightly different. By definition I'll be in places where bears know there are people, so unless they're habituated they'll generally steer well clear.

Most of my opinion is from reading/ talking to people - have only seen 3 black bears in the wild and one grizzly (a very long way away), so more than happy to learn from someone with first hand experience.

• Like 1

Well the golden rule in bear country is to make plenty of noise. I think that in both the scenarios you've outlined that rule is probably not being followed. Hunters make a disproportionately high proportion of bear fatalities I guess because by nature they're moving around quietly.

Which part of the states are you in? It's interesting how varied the official advice seems to be from state to state and park to park.

I'm a hiker, rather than a hunter so the parameters are slightly different. By definition I'll be in places where bears know there are people, so unless they're habituated they'll generally steer well clear.

Most of my opinion is from reading/ talking to people - have only seen 3 black bears in the wild and one grizzly (a very long way away), so more than happy to learn from someone with first hand experience.

I can say without fear of contradiction that most of us that enjoy the back country, sure as fugg aren't making noise...the peace and tranquility of biking, hiking, photography, or hunting is certainly diminished if earbuds/yelling/Kumbaya are involved. It's impossible to make noise all the time in bear country, if you're staying in bear country. One night I was surrounded by 7 bears in my camp site, that can be an unsettling adventure in sleep.

Camp in bear country, they know you're there,,,,and they're coming to take your shiit, there's no vote on it. Go take a hike without properly preparing your camp site, and return to a shredded tent and belongings...and they'll be back tomorrow for more. When you enter the timber you are no longer the Apex, unless you have the firepower to end life threatening advances...otherwise you're hoping Smokey & Yogi back off and cut you a break. Of course making noise when encountering nosy or problematic bears is helpful, but most in park areas have played this game many times. Most bears consume fawns in the spring, once they get a taste for blood and fresh meat...tearing thru some pink yoga pants and a down jacket ain't nothing but an irritant.

The eco system has changed in the past decades, and much of it because of man. Survival of the fittest will always prevail, and the predator numbers are growing rapidly. Mountain lion attacks are on the rise, mostly in hiking areas...right on the hiking trail. We are there for enjoyment and exercise, but to them it's life....and time to eat. The tree huggers and bunny lovers decided humans don't need fur coats, and proceeded to chastise anybody that wore one...and paint orange X's on their back. So the price of fur went in the toilet, not just in the US but Canada too. Once the trappers abandoned that source of income, the predators came back hard & fast...bears, coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, foxes, etc...That imbalance left the predators slaughtering the prey species(rabbits, deer, fowl, etc), once that food source is depleted...ummm, humans are on the menu. In Alaska the Polar bear has learned to hunt man, his ice is leaving...and he'll eat you, your dog/cat, or your garbage, he doesn't really care. These things won't change because of bear spray, it will only get worse with time. Creatures adapt to food sources, and man has plenty to provide...from camp garbage to a nice fillet of azz cheek.

I backpacked and camped for many years in the timber, but no longer have the time. I do hunt 4 states every year, west & midwest mainly, and never forget to stay alert and control your situation. Know the laws in your area, keep abreast of problem areas, always check with local forest service for info. If bears are in the area(watch for sign, tracks, clawed trees, hair on bark), if you have a gun carry it, spray carry it,,,,and if it moves into your space, take control or the bear will.

• Like 1

I can say without fear of contradiction that most of us that enjoy the back country, sure as fugg aren't making noise...the peace and tranquility of biking, hiking, photography, or hunting is certainly diminished if earbuds/yelling/Kumbaya are involved. It's impossible to make noise all the time in bear country, if you're staying in bear country. One night I was surrounded by 7 bears in my camp site, that can be an unsettling adventure in sleep.

Camp in bear country, they know you're there,,,,and they're coming to take your shiit, there's no vote on it. Go take a hike without properly preparing your camp site, and return to a shredded tent and belongings...and they'll be back tomorrow for more. When you enter the timber you are no longer the Apex, unless you have the firepower to end life threatening advances...otherwise you're hoping Smokey & Yogi back off and cut you a break. Of course making noise when encountering nosy or problematic bears is helpful, but most in park areas have played this game many times. Most bears consume fawns in the spring, once they get a taste for blood and fresh meat...tearing thru some pink yoga pants and a down jacket ain't nothing but an irritant.

The eco system has changed in the past decades, and much of it because of man. Survival of the fittest will always prevail, and the predator numbers are growing rapidly. Mountain lion attacks are on the rise, mostly in hiking areas...right on the hiking trail. We are there for enjoyment and exercise, but to them it's life....and time to eat. The tree huggers and bunny lovers decided humans don't need fur coats, and proceeded to chastise anybody that wore one...and paint orange X's on their back. So the price of fur went in the toilet, not just in the US but Canada too. Once the trappers abandoned that source of income, the predators came back hard & fast...bears, coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, foxes, etc...That imbalance left the predators slaughtering the prey species(rabbits, deer, fowl, etc), once that food source is depleted...ummm, humans are on the menu. In Alaska the Polar bear has learned to hunt man, his ice is leaving...and he'll eat you, your dog/cat, or your garbage, he doesn't really care. These things won't change because of bear spray, it will only get worse with time. Creatures adapt to food sources, and man has plenty to provide...from camp garbage to a nice fillet of azz cheek.

I backpacked and camped for many years in the timber, but no longer have the time. I do hunt 4 states every year, west & midwest mainly, and never forget to stay alert and control your situation. Know the laws in your area, keep abreast of problem areas, always check with local forest service for info. If bears are in the area(watch for sign, tracks, clawed trees, hair on bark), if you have a gun carry it, spray carry it,,,,and if it moves into your space, take control or the bear will.

Cheers mate. Appreciate the discussion. Interesting stuff.

• Like 1

Bubba,

Not sure if I answered your question, but let me say this in closing; If you head into bear country without real protection, it could be the last mistake you or a loved one ever makes. I'm not paranoid, I'm not looking to collect the spine of every predator that walks the earth. If you have the legal ability to protect the herd, then do so....you'll enjoy your outings that much more, and need not have concerns with being harmed.

You want options...noise, yelling, spray, maybe even a warning shot into the air...but as intelligent humans you want more options available than,,,run,,,run faster !,,,fuuck !!!!!!!!!!

The odds of getting attacked are slim, but if the conditions are right...very high.

• Like 1

Bubba,

Not sure if I answered your question, but let me say this in closing; If you head into bear country without real protection, it could be the last mistake you or a loved one ever makes. I'm not paranoid, I'm not looking to collect the spine of every predator that walks the earth. If you have the legal ability to protect the herd, then do so....you'll enjoy your outings that much more, and need not have concerns with being harmed.

You want options...noise, yelling, spray, maybe even a warning shot into the air...but as intelligent humans you want more options available than,,,run,,,run faster !,,,fuuck !!!!!!!!!!

The odds of getting attacked are slim, but if the conditions are right...very high.

Thanks dude I really do appreciate it. I still don't envisage me taking a gun on my next through hike though. I'm happy enough that the odds are firmly on my side if I do all the other things right. Maybe we're talking at cross purposes - I'm talking about relatively well travelled trails like the JMT or the Colorado trail. Hikers just aren't taking guns on those things. There's been one bear fatality in Colorado and it was some crazy lady who used to feed the bears. 0 in California.

If I was hiking in Wyoming, Montana or Alaska I'd be armed to the teeth though...

• Like 1